Ruger American Ranch Gen 2

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Ruger American Ranch Gen 2

Post by JimTom » 01 May 2024, 12:42 am

Anyone entertaining the idea of one of the new Ruger American Ranch Gen 2 rifles? I have one of the older ones (300 AAC) and it shoots exceptionally well. Thinking on getting one of the new models in .223.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Re: Ruger American Ranch Gen 2

Post by Blr243 » 01 May 2024, 6:14 pm

Well bugger me jimtom is still alive. I have an old. Ruger ranch in 450 bm. It shoots bloody good. I recently bought a new 223 as well First one since 30 yrs ago. But I just bought a Chesp lightweight howa.
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 01 May 2024, 8:47 pm

Nothing wrong with the Howas either mate. I got one for my daughter, definitely exceeds expectations.
Yes it has been a while since I posted something mate. Have still been visiting for a read every now and then though.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 02 May 2024, 9:05 am

The flex in the forend is still prevelant; the stock still isn't super hard like I think we all dreamt it might be. I'd be ensuring it floats properly, and probs stiffen the forend like people do on the gen1 (reinforced polyester filler putty aka boat bog ftw!).

Be good to see your specimen in the flesh, before you buy, in your LCS - look for the one that is not touching along the channel, as it'll be best centered-up straight outa the box. Trigger still mushy; bit painful to use for precise work. Grab a Timney if you're a spender.

But if you got one in 223, almost certainly it'll still bughole at 100m, like most .224 do... those smaller cals are just so easy to get to shoot; bedding issues aren't exacerbated like they are from the bigger recoilers.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 02 May 2024, 9:35 pm

I like my original Ruger rifles, and if I didn’t buy a Ranch in 223 earlier this year, I’d definitely be checking one out.
If they’re even a slight upgrade on the Gen 1 range, then they’ll be great. Nothing wrong with Ruger, a little rough around the edges, but as a good shooting working rifle, they’re hard to beat.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by alexjones » 07 May 2024, 8:39 am

I like the Ruger Americans. Best value for all the budget rifles in my opinion. They just work as they should and come in basically every calibre.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles