Extreme sensitivity to heat in .222 Rem CF?????

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Extreme sensitivity to heat in .222 Rem CF?????

Post by NTSOG » 04 May 2024, 8:49 am

G'day,

I have an old - 30+ years - Anschuetz 1532 in .222 Rem. with an ATN 4K Pro NV sight. Notwithstanding some pitting in the bore it is very accurate. It is bedded. I have been hitting hares and foxes shooting off quad sticks out to 280 yards at night.

Late last year it lost accuracy. I checked with my bore scope and found a high copper build up so cleaned it thoroughly. It returned to accuracy after about 25 shots. In fact it shot a three-shot clover leaf off my bench early in the year. Soon after the firing pin broke while I was hunting. The local gunsmith repaired the firing pin and test fired the rifle.

Two weeks ago, I re-attached the NV scope and set up to zero the rifle. First shot was high and wide as I expected. After adjusting the reticle, I fired three shots. Two shots [at 100 yards] hit in my aim point, a 30mm black dot on white paper. The next two shots were 100mm low, 40mm right but spaced at 20 mm apart. All shots were taken 1-2 minutes apart at least with rifle left to cool with bolt open in a strong breeze. There was about 12 minutes between groups. I quit at that point being somewhat confused and wondered about temperature.

Yesterday I attempted to zero the rifle again, but with different ammunition - Fiocchi. First three shots at 100 yards gave a 15 mm group 60mm high and 30mm left. [I expected to be off target with different ammunition.] I adjusted the reticle, and the first two shots [of three] were inside my 30mm aim point. The third was 110mm low, 25mm left. As before I left a couple of minutes between each shot and there was about 12-15 minutes between groups. I shot one last three shot group without changing scope settings. The centre of last the group was about 110mmm low, left 25mm. Curiously three of the four last shots formed a group of about 22mm! The worst shot was 150mm low.

I have checked the action screws, the scope and ring mounts. They are all tight. Clearly the rifle is accurate but is not consistent.

I tried to allow for temperature given the rifle has a lightweight barrel. The only other thing that comes to mind is the settings within the NV scope. I keep record of what they are. What else can cause such POI changes?

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Extreme sensitivity to heat in .222 Rem CF?????

Post by bladeracer » 04 May 2024, 9:25 am

NTSOG wrote:G'day,

I have an old - 30+ years - Anschuetz 1532 in .222 Rem. with an ATN 4K Pro NV sight. Notwithstanding some pitting in the bore it is very accurate. It is bedded. I have been hitting hares and foxes shooting off quad sticks out to 280 yards at night.

Late last year it lost accuracy. I checked with my bore scope and found a high copper build up so cleaned it thoroughly. It returned to accuracy after about 25 shots. In fact it shot a three-shot clover leaf off my bench early in the year. Soon after the firing pin broke while I was hunting. The local gunsmith repaired the firing pin and test fired the rifle.

Two weeks ago, I re-attached the NV scope and set up to zero the rifle. First shot was high and wide as I expected. After adjusting the reticle, I fired three shots. Two shots [at 100 yards] hit in my aim point, a 30mm black dot on white paper. The next two shots were 100mm low, 40mm right but spaced at 20 mm apart. All shots were taken 1-2 minutes apart at least with rifle left to cool with bolt open in a strong breeze. There was about 12 minutes between groups. I quit at that point being somewhat confused and wondered about temperature.

Yesterday I attempted to zero the rifle again, but with different ammunition - Fiocchi. First three shots at 100 yards gave a 15 mm group 60mm high and 30mm left. [I expected to be off target with different ammunition.] I adjusted the reticle, and the first two shots [of three] were inside my 30mm aim point. The third was 110mm low, 25mm left. As before I left a couple of minutes between each shot and there was about 12-15 minutes between groups. I shot one last three shot group without changing scope settings. The centre of last the group was about 110mmm low, left 25mm. Curiously three of the four last shots formed a group of about 22mm! The worst shot was 150mm low.

I have checked the action screws, the scope and ring mounts. They are all tight. Clearly the rifle is accurate but is not consistent.

I tried to allow for temperature given the rifle has a lightweight barrel. The only other thing that comes to mind is the settings within the NV scope. I keep record of what they are. What else can cause such POI changes?

Jim

Have you got a conventional glass scope you can put on to rule out the digital one?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by NTSOG » 04 May 2024, 9:58 am

G'day bladeracer,

Having written that long screed it made me think that the problem is not the rifle, but more likely a gremlin in the electronic scope that randomly changes reticle settings in some way. I think your suggestion is the best way to go. I have a couple of 'glass' scopes I can fit to the rifle for elimination purposes. If it turns out that the scope is the issue I may be able to do a factory reset. If that doesn't work, I may even have to buy a new NV scope.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 04 May 2024, 12:52 pm

if the rifle is bedded , and it's been apart , maybe a bit of crap has got in between the bedding and action . happened to me years ago with a bedded model 70 . as blade suggests go back to a glass scope and see if it's more consistent :unknown:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 04 May 2024, 2:54 pm

G'day bigrich,

I hasn't been apart for 4 years. It's tight in its bedding. I've reset the ATN scope to factory settings and will test the combination shortly. if there is still a problem I'll put on a Nikko Stirling I've got.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 05 May 2024, 4:04 am

NTSOG wrote:G'day bigrich,

I hasn't been apart for 4 years. It's tight in its bedding. I've reset the ATN scope to factory settings and will test the combination shortly. if there is still a problem I'll put on a Nikko Stirling I've got.

Jim

good luck with it jim :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 07 May 2024, 1:48 pm

G'day,
Well br & br you were correct. It was the ATN scope having an electronic tantrum that stuffed accuracy. I did a factory reset and re-zeroed. The rifle's on target now, though not without some issues with Fiocchi ammunition. I had several misfires and one casing jammed in the chamber and required a .177 cleaning rod inserted from the muzzle to knock it out. The rifle has never had a problem with Winchester, Federal and Remington ammunition, but I'm becoming a little suspicious about this Fiocchi stuff. Unfortunately, the Remington ammunition I have been using is not available locally.

It may be that electronic scopes should have a factory reset every so often to keep them stable.

Thanks for your advice. Sometimes I get too closes to the problem and can't the forest for the trees.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 08 May 2024, 6:15 am

NTSOG wrote:G'day,
Well br & br you were correct. It was the ATN scope having an electronic tantrum that stuffed accuracy. I did a factory reset and re-zeroed. The rifle's on target now, though not without some issues with Fiocchi ammunition. I had several misfires and one casing jammed in the chamber and required a .177 cleaning rod inserted from the muzzle to knock it out. The rifle has never had a problem with Winchester, Federal and Remington ammunition, but I'm becoming a little suspicious about this Fiocchi stuff. Unfortunately, the Remington ammunition I have been using is not available locally.

It may be that electronic scopes should have a factory reset every so often to keep them stable.

Thanks for your advice. Sometimes I get too closes to the problem and can't the forest for the trees.

Jim

glad to hear it all worked out for you mate . your issue with ammo is why a lot of guys own 223's these days . i reload for my 222 rem 700 and use that in comps at my local range .
my 223 tikka is for the paddock . i reload for it most of the time , but if i lose 223 cases it's no big deal as the 223 stuff is freely available . ADI manufacture good quality 223 ammo if i want it :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles