Counterfeit products

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Counterfeit products

Post by bluerob » 29 May 2014, 10:54 am

I never thought I'd see the day where counterfeiting would hit our world, but, it has...

Apart from counterfeit Leopold scopes and other similar con jobs, I've come across counterfeit ammo boxes!

As I'm not a fan of involving myself in any lawsuit, I won't say where or who (it wasn't my LGS).

Buying off the Internet is starting to lose its appeal. Imagine buying a $2,000 scope for $1500 thinking it was a fair deal and it's actually not the real thing! Too late to chase the seller whose suddenly disappeared with yours and probably others $$$$.

I once saw a set of Callaway clubs that were counterfeit. I couldn't tell the difference and the pro shop guy was the same.

All the more reason to support your LGS.

Anyone else had experience with counterfeit firearms equipment?
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Counterfeit products

Post by MeccaOz » 29 May 2014, 11:01 am

Thanks for the heads up Bluerob :) Cant say Ive ever seen it in the firearms world, but it is a great reason to back your local .
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Monty » 30 May 2014, 3:03 pm

bluerob wrote:As I'm not a fan of involving myself in any lawsuit, I won't say where or who (it wasn't my LGS).

Good call.

MOD COMMENT: A reminder for all taking part in this conversation to be careful with your comments and slinging blame on the wrong people.

It won't be tolerated. Period.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by grainweight » 30 May 2014, 3:07 pm

I've seen a few for scopes and other things. Mostly warnings on the net and luckily never been stung myself.

Some of them really do look the real article. Professionally designed and printed packaging etc.

You wouldn't know until you gave it some real scrutiny, and then it's too late...
grainweight
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by portph » 30 May 2014, 3:11 pm

I have mates who've got hit on a couple of things.

Fake car speakers, amps that sort of thing.

At a glance they look like the real deal. Glossy packaging etc. Not until you open the box you see the product workmanship and quality is not right.
Tikka T3 Lite in 300 Win Mag
Tikka T3 Hunter in 243 Winchester
portph
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 30 May 2014, 3:17 pm

sites like ebay try and protect you against fake products, it's in their best intrest

here's an example

http://www.ebay.com.au/gds/FAKE-LED-LEN ... 632/g.html

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by paps » 30 May 2014, 4:10 pm

Not having a go at ebay but I think 'try' is the key word there.

I know a few guys who've been hung out to dry after an online auction gone wrong, buyers and sellers They didn't meet whatever condition for the insurance or something else wasn't right.

I'm sure they'll try to help but at the end of the day they won't absorb the cost (which is fair enough I guess).

Onus definitely on ourselves not to get caught out.
.257 Roberts Ruger Hawkeye
Burris Fullfield II 4.5x14-42mm
paps
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 30 May 2014, 4:21 pm

paps wrote:Not having a go at ebay but I think 'try' is the key word there.

I know a few guys who've been hung out to dry after an online auction gone wrong, buyers and sellers They didn't meet whatever condition for the insurance or something else wasn't right.

I'm sure they'll try to help but at the end of the day they won't absorb the cost (which is fair enough I guess).

Onus definitely on ourselves not to get caught out.

yeah i did say try, obviously a lot of their business is cheap knock off gear

remember that pay pal is ebay's baby too so if you get ripped off and paypal wears the cost it's ebay who pays the bill in a sense

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by von_klitzing » 30 May 2014, 4:35 pm

I have had quite a few problems with purchasing on eBay as well as gumtree and paypal has been there to help everytime. Any time I have raised concern the seller has had ample opportunity to defend them self and an outcome is decided according to both parties responses. I have successfully redeemed my funds on every occasion.
Just recently I purchased a bullet mold from the states and eBay refunded the money one week later claiming it was a restricted import. I contacted the seller and asked them what's going on and they said that someone in customs read "pistol" on the package and it was seized. The seller kept their payment and I was refunded from eBay's pocket. No issues either way. I am confident of both eBay and PayPal will support me during online disputes IF I have done my due diligence beforehand. I pay for their service and expect they will perform IAW their terms and conditions, and that's just what they do. It also helps if you as a client read and understand their terms of service ;)
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Westy » 30 May 2014, 5:46 pm

von_klitzing wrote:I have had quite a few problems with purchasing on eBay as well as gumtree and paypal has been there to help everytime. Any time I have raised concern the seller has had ample opportunity to defend them self and an outcome is decided according to both parties responses. I have successfully redeemed my funds on every occasion.
Just recently I purchased a bullet mold from the states and eBay refunded the money one week later claiming it was a restricted import. I contacted the seller and asked them what's going on and they said that someone in customs read "pistol" on the package and it was seized. The seller kept their payment and I was refunded from eBay's pocket. No issues either way. I am confident of both eBay and PayPal will support me during online disputes IF I have done my due diligence beforehand. I pay for their service and expect they will perform IAW their terms and conditions, and that's just what they do. It also helps if you as a client read and understand their terms of service ;)

Thats a BIG X 2 for me withpaypal and E-Bay

Now I have a bridge for SALE right next to a OPera House Anyone Interested :?: :lol: :?: :lol: :?:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 30 May 2014, 6:01 pm

China is basically the land of the knock-off, they don't recognise copyright so its open slather over there.... everything from widget up, everything, reverse engineer and game on - trouble is when this product hit the interwebs and we get sucked in...
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 30 May 2014, 9:11 pm

Vietnam, "same same, but different"
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by on_one_wheel » 30 May 2014, 10:06 pm

I recon this 12 gauge pump might be counterfeit

I bought a LED Lenser on eBay, price was slightly cheaper than at the shops..... not the genuine article, very good rip of though. The switch was different but the rest was perfect.

There is loads of this stuff getting into the country. That's why its safer to stick with sellers from Australia if you can because sellers over seas cant be touched.

Personally I have eased up on internet shopping the last few years and try to support local as much as possible. I'm getting better at striking deals with shops, like when I buy a gun I make sure I get the scope, rings, bulk ammo, cleaning kit, bag and whatever else I need. I put the lot on the counter and ask them to give me their best price, usually get at least 10% off.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by beerd » 02 Jun 2014, 2:48 pm

1290 wrote:China is basically the land of the knock-off, they don't recognise copyright so its open slather over there

There is some shameless s**t going over there. I've read a few like an illustrator had their work stolen and it was getting pumped out on hundreds of shirts.

They emailed the place that knocked it off and they offered to buy her work for $50, and then just ignored her when she said that was bulls**t.
beerd
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 02 Jun 2014, 4:24 pm

Check this out!!!

I once voted for a P.M and got this load of counterfeit crap!!!!WTF

Ohh and it was really cheap and Nasty :lol: :D :lol:
Attachments
julia-gillard-doll.jpg
julia-gillard-doll.jpg (48.6 KiB) Viewed 6422 times
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Norton » 02 Jun 2014, 6:20 pm

Geeezus!

What's with that face :lol:
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 02 Jun 2014, 6:27 pm

Westy wrote:Check this out!!!

I once voted for a P.M and got this load of counterfeit crap!!!!WTF

Ohh and it was really cheap and Nasty :lol: :D :lol:

I feel for you, thankfully I didnt vote for her, neither did I vote for the other chinese knockoff, the Chinese albino dentist that knocked her off... :D
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bluerob » 03 Jun 2014, 8:01 am

Watched a documentary the other night on the war in Afghanistan and surrounding territories.

There are backyard factories pumping up cloned 1911's and an assortment of other firearms in this area also, not just Asian countries.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Pilch » 03 Jun 2014, 10:41 am

Doesn't just about everyone make a 1911 now?

I didn't think it was really 1 companies pistol any more? (for a long time now)
Pilch
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 03 Jun 2014, 12:50 pm

Westy wrote:
von_klitzing wrote:I have had quite a few problems with purchasing on eBay as well as gumtree and paypal has been there to help everytime. Any time I have raised concern the seller has had ample opportunity to defend them self and an outcome is decided according to both parties responses. I have successfully redeemed my funds on every occasion.

Thats a BIG X 2 for me withpaypal and E-Bay

Now I have a bridge for SALE right next to a OPera House Anyone Interested :?: :lol: :?: :lol: :?:

Yep, Paypal/Ebay take FOREVER sometimes but I have been happy four out of four times I have had to resort to them.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by bluerob » 03 Jun 2014, 4:36 pm

Pilch wrote:Doesn't just about everyone make a 1911 now?

Mate, my point was that counterfeit guns are being produced in countries (in backyard type setups, not a recognized firearms manufacturing factory) apart from "the regulars" who counterfeit.

Cheers

Rob.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 03 Jun 2014, 7:26 pm

bluerob wrote:
Pilch wrote:Doesn't just about everyone make a 1911 now?

Mate, my point was that counterfeit guns are being produced in countries (in backyard type setups, not a recognized firearms manufacturing factory) apart from "the regulars" who counterfeit.

Cheers

Rob.

Yeah They have been doing it for decades in the Kyber Pass .. Some looks ok.. Some you would be afraid to touch, let alone shoot.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Pilch » 04 Jun 2014, 11:28 am

bluerob wrote:Mate, my point was that counterfeit guns are being produced in countries (in backyard type setups, not a recognized firearms manufacturing factory) apart from "the regulars" who counterfeit.

Yeah I understand.

Got a bit off topic wondering about who can claim the 1911 specifically as "theirs".
Pilch
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 04 Jun 2014, 12:08 pm

Pilch wrote:Yeah I understand.

Got a bit off topic wondering about who can claim the 1911 specifically as "theirs".

The only guy who can claim it is old Moses....
but given that the design is probably over 120 odd yrs now, well and truly open for duplication...

As far as the backyarders; the old Kyber pass inhabitants have been churning out copies of arms for donkeys years, probably since the Brits first 'tried it on' in the 1830's... anything you could imagine is produced from PPKs to heavy machine guns you name it, many docos on the ytube..
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Pilch » 05 Jun 2014, 2:48 pm

1290 wrote:anything you could imagine is produced from PPKs to heavy machine guns you name it, many docos on the ytube..

I'll do some searching on YT :)
Pilch
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Westy » 06 Jun 2014, 4:09 pm

Norton wrote:Geeezus!

What's with that face :lol:

I think she juat found that@#@@#$ she lost!!! :D :) :D or she just sat on her own Nuts?????
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bluerob » 07 Jun 2014, 9:55 am

1290 wrote:The only guy who can claim it is old Moses....
but given that the design is probably over 120 odd yrs now, well and truly open for duplication...

As far as the backyarders; the old Kyber pass inhabitants have been churning out copies of arms for donkeys years, probably since the Brits first 'tried it on' in the 1830's... anything you could imagine is produced from PPKs to heavy machine guns you name it, many docos on the ytube..

As highly regarded as Mr John Browning might be, I don't think he tried parting seas. I know he was responsible for the parting of hairs on heads though!
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AlanK » 09 Jun 2014, 1:00 pm

bluerob wrote:As highly regarded as Mr John Browning might be, I don't think he tried parting seas.

For the best really. Spent his time on better things :D
AlanK
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles