remington 788

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

remington 788

Post by bigrich » 06 Jul 2024, 3:38 pm

hey fellas, just wondering if anyone is playing with one of these. supposedly they are VERY accurate and have been used for super accurate builds and target rifles in the past . opinions :unknown:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Re: remington 788

Post by Bugman » 06 Jul 2024, 4:52 pm

I had one many moons ago in 222. I managed to get an SSAA gold and silver award at the 100m mark at my local range. The only thing I had done before this was to have the barrell floated and bedded by a guy called Dick Tunney. I now wish I had not sold it, all those years ago. It was bloody accurate.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by mickb » 06 Jul 2024, 5:07 pm

Nice gun, wish I could find one in 44mag. Its what the ruger 77/44 mag should have been. The 788 is a rear locking masterpiece that can be accurized, the ruger has a POS split bolt and is lucky if it can outshoot a lever action.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigrich » 06 Jul 2024, 6:21 pm

mickb wrote:Nice gun, wish I could find one in 44mag. Its what the ruger 77/44 mag should have been. The 788 is a rear locking masterpiece that can be accurized, the ruger has a POS split bolt and is lucky if it can outshoot a lever action.

Also rare is a 788 in 30-30win . Stronger action and spitzer bullets make the old Winchester round into different animal apparently . Might even be very accurate…..
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 06 Jul 2024, 6:26 pm

Bugman wrote:I had one many moons ago in 222. I managed to get an SSAA gold and silver award at the 100m mark at my local range. The only thing I had done before this was to have the barrell floated and bedded by a guy called Dick Tunney. I now wish I had not sold it, all those years ago. It was bloody accurate.

Yeah I’ve heard they can really shoot, but they need a better trigger. I reckon you won your competition cause you had triple deuce magic on your side. It’s an easy cartridge to find great accuracy easily. Which is why I own one….
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 06 Jul 2024, 6:32 pm

I have a 788 in 22-250 that is very sturdy, reliable and accurate rifle. It was my Brother in laws when he worked at Paraburdoo and he at took lots of pigs on days off. Since I've had it it has dealt with fallow, pigs and goats with ease, and I wouldn't sell it for quids.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jul 2024, 7:30 pm

bigrich wrote:hey fellas, just wondering if anyone is playing with one of these. supposedly they are VERY accurate and have been used for super accurate builds and target rifles in the past . opinions :unknown:

My first centrefire, in .222Rem and spoiled me badly making me think all rifles were as accurate as it was. I really wanted to get another one in 7mm-08 but couldn't find one at the time. Went back to WA in 1985 to study and work and sold it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wyliecoyote » 06 Jul 2024, 8:50 pm

As has been already stated the 788 action can be a basis for a super accurate build. I built my first Fly rifle in 284 Win on one of these actions back in 91 where it was very accurate with 168 SMKs but not without its problems.
There are a few issues like the bolt handles have a really bad rep for tearing off when trying to extract sticky cases. I recommend full length sizing every time with 308, 7/08 and 243. The other thing is the trigger. The housing is made of a casting that is rather weak and held in with a pin and set screw that if over tightened bends and eventually cracks the weak alloy. It takes a bit to get the stock trigger down to a reasonable let off but fortunately there are good aftermarket triggers from Canjar and Timney. The exact same base trigger unit was used in 541Ts and THBs and the old 591 and 592s in Remington 5mm Magnum and not one of them was what one would call a quality trigger. They are crisp but not exactly light.

There are two action lengths. One for 222/223 and 22/250 but 22/250s could also be found in the longer action. The longer action housed the 308 family. The only synthetic stock available for the 788s was Ramline, now long defunct but surprisingly there is still some floating around. With the long action the action screw spacing is that of a long action 700 so with a bit of Devcon and creativity in a mill the 788 can fit into a Rem 700 stock. May look a bit of a cut and shut around the floor plate area but it works very nicely.

The good thing about the 788 that lent itself to great accuracy potential was the long tenon of 1"x 20 TPI, thick recoil lug that was locked into the action face and the super fast lock time of a firing pin stamped from plate that looks like something an apprentice made. There is the bedding area that is long enough and wide enough front and rear to give support for the heaviest of barrels.

The one issue that is a real bug bear is that these actions do not like high pressure. The rear locking lugs and bolt, while not ideal, are not the reason. The loading port and magazine port take too much metal out leaving thin rails that stretch on firing then contract after firing, like a spring, which is the cause of stiff bolt opening. Not such an issue with small cases but is with the 308 family and bigger. So as i said, full length sizing for each firing is a must when running higher pressures on the bigger cases.
Wyliecoyote
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 07 Jul 2024, 10:35 am

I've owned 2, a 222 and a 223 that I inherited from dad. Both were fantastically accurate,the 223 had been used by dad to pay off his first house in fox skins and was still shooting ½" groups when he gave it to me. However the trigger became unsafe due to his lightening of it so I got rid of it. They also have a tendency to have a weak extractor and are heavy
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Jorlcrin » 07 Jul 2024, 12:45 pm

We wore out our 788 .223.
Might have bothered to get it re-built if we had easy access to a gunsmith, but simpler/easier to replace it with a Howa 1500.

And not sure our overseer would be prepared to swap it back, if I had the option to re-build the 788; he loves the Howa.

Our 788 was bought 2nd-hand in the late 1980's, and I didnt think much of it(or the calibre), until I spent some months using it.
A change in scope and a few other tweaks, and it redeemed itself, in my eyes.
We found we had ongoing issues with the firing pin punching holes through the primers, and while changing firing pin and changing primers helped, the issue never went away.
Had a gunsmith replace the failed ejector circlip thingey, with a sako-style one, and never had further issues with it.
Also occasionally had firing pin issues(2 parts?), but a good clean usually got everything back working.

Also found a Timney trigger vastly improved it.

It was a pretty decent reliable no-frills rifle, and paid it's dues many times over.
It handled a LOT of crappy, dusty conditions, in the time we had it.

But in the 4-5 years since we got the Howa, I cant say it's given any reason to regret the changeover.
Jorlcrin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wyliecoyote » 07 Jul 2024, 10:07 pm

The firing pin in a 788 is one piece, not two.
Wyliecoyote
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 08 Jul 2024, 7:50 am

Wyliecoyote wrote:The firing pin in a 788 is one piece, not two.

unless it's broken maybe ........ ;)
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Jorlcrin » 08 Jul 2024, 8:36 am

bigrich wrote:
Wyliecoyote wrote:The firing pin in a 788 is one piece, not two.

unless it's broken maybe ........ ;)

I cant remember exactly the setup, and a quick search suggests I never thought to take any pics of it when I last had it apart.
I thought the pin itself had a couple of individual parts that looked to have been machined.

I know the issue of the pin perforating primers(and the discs getting blown back into the bolt) had come up a number of times, so we had the bolt apart to clean it out regularly, or they would jam the pin.
I think this first appeared not long after Dad bought the rifle 2nd hand in 1988.

Makes me wonder if the gunsmith who worked on it for Dad(Kingston Bros), had tried to address the primer issue in some way.

Anyway; all long gone now.
Jorlcrin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles