Beginner Rifle selection

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Beginner Rifle selection

Post by Lorgar » 02 Jun 2014, 8:59 pm

huccl wrote:Maybe look at the .243 Win? Start out on light 55gr pills to get used to it and move up to 95gr-100gr once you're on top of it.

.243 is good, my only comment would be that it's not large enough to legally shoot certain deer in certain states. Not sure about QLD off the top of my head?

You could look at 7mm-08. Much friendlier than the .270.

You can load 120gr pills which are recoil friendly, 140gr is legal for all deer everywhere AFAIK, and if you wanted to go up to heavy 170gr pills for... whatever.

Less recoil for you but still a humane hunting calibre with the mid-heavy pills.

I've dabbled with a few calibres over the years from .22 up to 300 win mag and come back to 7mm-08 as the best all rounder.

2c.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 02 Jun 2014, 9:17 pm

243 is legal to shoot deer in Queensland with a 100gr pill, you can also shoot goats, pigs with a 243, 308 for buff, donkeys ect

a 243 has a bit more kick than a 223 but not much more practice your freehand shots at various distances and if a tree is there use it 8-)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by benn1124 » 02 Jun 2014, 11:38 pm

I ended up going with a Tikka T3 Hunter in a .308. I tried out one of my mates 308's and it had a fair kick but felt manageable with my size and with the availability of parts ammo and everything else associated with them it's a much more common round and figured an Ok starting point for pigs.

I was still thinking the Weatherby but after going to QLD gun exchange yesterday and looking at the 2 side by side and holding and comparing both i was sold with the Tikka, also a lot of research had been done on both models so it came down to personal preference, I can guarantee that this will only be one of my many to come rifles, once everything has come back I'm going to look straight into getting a nice .22 to get some rabbits and work on efficiently hunting

Now I've just got the fun part of the process the waiting game involved with waiting for my licence and waiting to get my first PTA back one of the guys at weapons licencing the other day told me i think there is an 8 week backlog i think so fingers crossed it doesn't take too long.
Walther century .177 CZ 452 .17HMR
.22LR puma .22LR Browning BL22
.223 tikka 30/30 marlin
.308 tikka
benn1124
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by RDobber » 03 Jun 2014, 11:27 am

benn1124 wrote:I ended up going with a Tikka T3 Hunter in a .308. I tried out one of my mates 308's and it had a fair kick but felt manageable with my size and with the availability of parts ammo and everything else associated with them it's a much more common round and figured an Ok starting point for pigs.

A fine choice mate.

The Hunter's are good rifles. .308 might seem like a lot now but as you get used to it, it will feel like less recoil and shooting it will only get easier.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Wobble » 03 Jun 2014, 11:27 am

benn1124 wrote:and figured an Ok starting point for pigs.

.308 is plenty for pigs mate.

Load up some heavy pills, 160gr - 180gr hunting bullets, and it'll put them down with authority all day long.
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Lorgar » 03 Jun 2014, 11:29 am

tom604 wrote:243 is legal to shoot deer in Queensland with a 100gr pill

All deer? Not just Fallow/Chital/Hog?

(Not saying you're wrong, just asking).
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 03 Jun 2014, 7:41 pm

I just typed in legal calibre for deer in QLD and looked on the police site and that's what they said.

I don't know if they have Sambar in QLD? too hot? Hell, I don't even know if they have hog :oops: :D
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 04 Jun 2014, 11:18 am

Righto then, if that's what it says then there you go. Just surprised was all...

They do have Sambar and Hog in QLD. Only saying that from seeing hunting pictures though, not sure in what parts of QLD they are exactly.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 04 Jun 2014, 4:05 pm

Deer
.243 calibre rifles with 100 grain projectiles are the minimum acceptable. 150 grain .308 projectiles are considered suitable for all deer in Australia.

Last updated 15/11/2012
The Model Code of Practice for the Welfare of Animals sets out the firearms and ammunition suitable for the humane destruction of feral livestock animals.

Pigs
Ground shooting: .243 calibre rifles with 80 or 100 grain soft nose projectiles. .222 or .223 calibre rifles may be suitable in competent hands.

Buffalo, Cattle, Horses, Donkeys, Camels
Ground shooting: .308 (7.62mm) calibre rifles. For cattle, horses, donkeys and camels silver tip or soft point ammunition is preferred except for heavy scrub bulls where hard pointed/jacketed ammunition should be used.

Aerial shooting: For helicopter shooting hard pointed/jacketed projectiles 170 grain (or heavier) should be used.

Goats
Ground shooting: .243 calibre rifles with 80 grain projectiles. .222 or .223 calibre rifles may be suitable in competent hands.

Aerial shooting: .30/30 and .308 calibre rifles.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct= ... iJ9bG1R2CA

made a pigs breakfast with the copy and paste thing,,hope the link works,,not to cluey with this stuff :oops: :lol: yep just checked link is good 8-)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 04 Jun 2014, 4:23 pm

Ha ha. Yeah it's all showing up good for me.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by AusC » 04 Jun 2014, 4:29 pm

tom604 wrote:.243 calibre rifles with 100 grain projectiles are the minimum acceptable. 150 grain .308 projectiles are considered suitable for all deer in Australia.

A .243 is reasonable in most instances I think. A big Red or Sambar deserves something closer to a .308 but they're not all monsters.

Said it before, a 100gr pill moving at 3000fps aint no feather duster.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles