Bad experience buying a rifle

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Bad experience buying a rifle

Post by AussieTimmeh » 05 Jun 2014, 5:58 pm

Hi all,

My brother and I decided to buy a .22 for putting cheap rounds down range while we learn the technique of shooting rifles as the .308 gets a bit expensive and tiring after a couple hours.

We decided to support our LGS (who will remain nameless) and bought a Savage .22LR, which is a nice little rifle that I had shot before as my friend owns one. So our PTA comes in and we happily go in and purchase it. It was one that has the iron sights as well as the scope, but it wasn't until we got home that my friend noticed the front iron sight was half broken off.

We took it back into the LGS who said that it looked like someone had tried to remove it the wrong way as it had hammer marks on the wrong side, and that it wasn't them. They basically accused us of wrecking it when we got home, which was very disappointing and frustrating as it was already not great finding your brand new never-fired rifle was already damaged. I know that customers lie and try to rip off shops but I also know for a fact we did not do it. I doubt the LGS would damage it without fixing it either so I am not sure what happened as the rifle still had all the Savage stickers all over it, but it was on their display shelves for a while. I wonder if a customer did it. So anyway, the sales manager ordered a new iron sight and when it came in he fitted the new iron sight at no charge to us but was so rude when he did it and did not speak to me when he handed it back. Instead, another salesman attended to me to buy the ammo I also went in for.

Lesson learned - inspect the hell out of any new purchases and do not taken anything for granted. I am disappointed we did not pick up the damage when we bought it because it could have saved this whole ordeal. I feel like it's taken the shine off the purchase and left me very bitter towards the sales manager there. I feel like writing the store owner a letter but I don't see it achieving much. I think I just need to learn from it. Thoughts?
Savage Model 10 BAT/S .308, Savage Mk II .22LR, RBD Omni-Break 500 Nitro Express
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Bad experience buying a rifle

Post by handofcod » 05 Jun 2014, 6:10 pm

Sometimes even inspection isnt enough. My first 22 had new rings and a new scope fitted on request and i found the scope kept shifting in the rings under fire. I tried to tighten the rings down and found the thread on one screw was stripped. The guy who put it together must have known but handed it over anyway.

Luckily they changed the rings over no questions asked.
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Jun 2014, 7:56 pm

I'd tell him you're going to start a complaint with the department of fair trading - I wouldn't be putting up with that crap, especially if you're in the right.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by WesleySnipes » 05 Jun 2014, 8:14 pm

It wouldn't happen to have been Horsley Park GS? as I've had similar things happen to me, staff is extremely rude every time I go in there and they deserve to be named and shamed. I now try to talk to one of the old blokes and one of the young lady's as they're the only polite ones, I've forgotten their names though.

Handofcod is right, sometimes an inspection isn't enough, as it is hard to inspect effectively in a short amount of time.
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AussieTimmeh » 05 Jun 2014, 8:46 pm

handofcod wrote:Sometimes even inspection isnt enough. My first 22 had new rings and a new scope fitted on request and i found the scope kept shifting in the rings under fire. I tried to tighten the rings down and found the thread on one screw was stripped. The guy who put it together must have known but handed it over anyway.

Luckily they changed the rings over no questions asked.

Yeah, see the resolution to the problem was ok in my case but it's the attitude of the manager and the accusation that we did it that really turns me off wanting to shop there and support them anymore. They paid for the part and yet still failed to turn it into a win for them.

bigfellascott wrote:I'd tell him you're going to start a complaint with the department of fair trading - I wouldn't be putting up with that crap, especially if you're in the right.

I don't know what they could do. They replaced the part and sent me on my way. It's only the way they did it that sucks and made me feel like I was lying and frauding them.

WesleySnipes wrote:Handofcod is right, sometimes an inspection isn't enough, as it is hard to inspect effectively in a short amount of time.

Yeah, we gave it a good lookover but next time I am going to be much more thorough - if there is a next time with them.
Savage Model 10 BAT/S .308, Savage Mk II .22LR, RBD Omni-Break 500 Nitro Express
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 05 Jun 2014, 9:15 pm

Yes, an unfortunate experience and it's certainly leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.

But why start a campaign (as was suggested) and prolong the bad experience as the end result was that the problem was resolved although with a few unfounded accusations and whinging.

Why not continue to support your LGS and every time that you go in seek out the sales manager, speak politely and get him to serve you and that will annoy the hell out of him.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by MeccaOz » 05 Jun 2014, 9:17 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Yes, an unfortunate experience and it's certainly leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.

But why start a campaign (as was suggested) and prolong the bad experience as the end result was that the problem was resolved although with a few unfounded accusations and whinging.

Why not continue to support your LGS and every time that you go in seek out the sales manager, speak politely and get him to serve you and that will annoy the hell out of him.

I agree, we do need to support our LGS, but I guess there will always be some bad businessmen in every field.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by von_klitzing » 05 Jun 2014, 9:20 pm

That sucks mate! I know the feeling well, you get home with your new shiny rifle and then; "what?! what's that defect there? I can't believe this!" and on it goes from there. Check out this thread for my ordeal after buying the 2nd hand rifle I was after. It looked fine until I lifted the action and barrel from the stock!
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1444
I'm glad the outcome was good. You couldn't ask for a better result, even if the owner was upset - after all, he's trying to run a business. He'll get over it. At least you know next time you buy a rifle, new or used, you want to view it in pieces, not assembled! lol :)
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 05 Jun 2014, 9:28 pm

Yes, MeccaOz, right on and these people are the first to whinge about the growth in on-line shopping. They tend to forget that's the reason we go into bricks and mortar stores is for SERVICE, advise and thus resulting in a pleasant experience and we just might come back and spend a few dollars more.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Westy » 06 Jun 2014, 7:57 am

RoginaJack wrote:Yes, an unfortunate experience and it's certainly leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.

Do you shop at QGE also!!!!LOL Yep Scotts a great guy in a sea of misery Guts!!! :lol: :D :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Shotfox » 06 Jun 2014, 8:10 am

I think we all know how you feel Aussie. I watched in horror as a salesperson stripped and broke the mounting screws for a picatinny rail on a customers brand new Tikka while I was waiting to be served. He broke 2 out of the four and never said a word as he hurried to get the scope on before anyone noticed.Unfortunatly retail sales these days is about the dollars, quick turn overs and volume sales and therfore lacks professionalism. I forever get frustrated when you ask a question and it either cannot be answered or is delegated to a higher power for a timmid or half baked answer. Its become buyer beware unfortunatly.

There is no need to write letters of complaint as the damage to their business is already done and when you have a bad experiance the stats say you tell about 10 people and if you have a good experiance you only tell 3. Given this website exposure you may want to point your local GS here for satisfaction value.
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Shotfox » 06 Jun 2014, 8:18 am

Maybe we should start a Gun Shop Rating system based on expertise, experience, value etc. Whatdoyathinkaboutthatthen?
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AussieTimmeh » 06 Jun 2014, 5:41 pm

Thanks for all the thoughts.

RoginaJack wrote:But why start a campaign (as was suggested) and prolong the bad experience as the end result was that the problem was resolved although with a few unfounded accusations and whinging.

I think this is the best approach for me. Put it behind me, forget about it and move on. The only one who can make this linger is me so I may as well just get on with shooting and having fun. Cheers.
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lyam » 09 Jun 2014, 2:53 pm

AussieTimmeh wrote:So anyway, the sales manager ordered a new iron sight and when it came in he fitted the new iron sight at no charge to us but was so rude when he did it and did not speak to me when he handed it back. Instead, another salesman attended to me to buy the ammo I also went in for.

I feel like it's taken the shine off the purchase and left me very bitter towards the sales manager there. I feel like writing the store owner a letter but I don't see it achieving much. I think I just need to learn from it. Thoughts?

Vote with your feet mate.

If the manager there was a dick give your money to someone else in future.

If you've got the time I'd write the letter. I'm sure the owner will be upset to hear he won't be getting your money any more due to a staff member who he's paying to be there. He's there to grow the business, not cost the owner business by being a dick.

If the owners of the same mentality then bugger em.
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by headspace » 10 Jun 2014, 8:19 pm

I agree about the voting with your feet.

They aren't the only gun shop around, so dump them. It's clowns like this who are the first to whinge about people buying online.

Surely anyone who runs a business these days has to realise that everyone who walks in the door is a bloody bonus!
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 11 Jun 2014, 2:55 pm

I've had some really mixed experiences with the two main LGS's i go to in Sydney. Some of the guys in the store's are really great, provide great service and are actually interested in helping me make the right decision for my needs, BUT... in almost every store I've been to, there's a few blokes that obviously just plain don't give a sh*t about my purchase (it's so freakin obvious) or the $ that i put in their pockets. It pi**es me off, as whilst the last several thousand i have spent may not mean much to them in the grand picture of things, it means a sh*t load to me.

All i ask for is the standard of service and advice to be better balanced.

They have some great people, they just need to p*ss off the slackers and lazy bored looking DH's that saunter around giving sh*t service...
there's my two cents on the subject... Consider me vented...
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by ex_reven » 12 Jun 2014, 8:39 pm

Try the Gunsmiths in Sefton NSW, they might not be a huge superstore like the other bigger gun stores but they treat customers well and have a lot of collective wisdom among the staff there.
Custom 6mm Dasher
Sako 85, Sako Quad,
K98, K98 Sniper, No 4 Mk 1/2, Norinco JW25a
Kimber 1911 .45ACP, S&W 629 .44 Mag, Walther PPQ, Walther P22, S&W 686, Colt Gold Cup
Akkar Churchill, Crossman 1077
ex_reven
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brouta » 13 Jun 2014, 3:19 pm

Shotfox wrote:Maybe we should start a Gun Shop Rating system based on expertise, experience, value etc. Whatdoyathinkaboutthatthen?

I think the problem is the guys at the bottom of the list write nasty letters to the websites. Not something the mods want to deal with.
brouta
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Return to Centerfire rifles