Scoping a Tikka Battue .308

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Scoping a Tikka Battue .308

Post by boyou » 12 Jun 2014, 2:31 pm

Hello,

I'm looking at the Tikka Battue which has the forward mounted open sights.

You can still mount a scope on these right?

I know on things like the Ruger Scout to add a scope in the normal place and not on the forward rail as a Scout setup you have to remove the rear ring, but you can you do that with the Tikka too? Mount it in the normal spot?

I like the open sights but will want to use a scope at times too.

Thanks.
boyou
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Scoping a Tikka Battue .308

Post by Westy » 12 Jun 2014, 4:44 pm

I scoped one of these in for a mate a month ago!

We used a set of Warne rings I had in the shed and a Burris 3x9x42 Scope,and the bugger still hasn't paid me for them yet! :lol:

From memory I think it was shooting less than 1" MOA with Rem factory Ammo, was a real nice shooter less recoil than the T3 light might be the short barrel.

We didn't remove the rear sight and the scope fitted over it!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by farmerstuff » 12 Jun 2014, 5:37 pm

Leupold 2-7x33 VX2. Perfect for that rifle. Keeping it light.
farmerstuff
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SendIt » 13 Jun 2014, 3:07 pm

Yes you can scope them.

The thing to look out for is the size of your objective. (As you know) normally the barrel tapers down as you move toward the muzzle creating space for a larger objective lense.

The rear sight on the Battue ramps up and remove a lot of this space.

This leaves you with either putting on a very small objective lens, or straight tube like the 1.25-4x Leupold Hog scopes.

Something small like farmerstuff's Leupold 2-7x33 is about the biggest you can go without mounting the scope on a higher set of rings.

Do you remember what height you had to go with the 42mm scope Westy? That's bigger than I'd have expected you can comfortably get on? He does all right though, hey?
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by kurl » 13 Jun 2014, 3:09 pm

Westy wrote:From memory I think it was shooting less than 1" MOA with Rem factory Ammo, was a real nice shooter less recoil than the T3 light might be the short barrel.

The timber versions are a bit heavier than the light versions right? Extra weight dulling down the recoil then?
kurl
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Farmjer » 13 Jun 2014, 3:09 pm

They are, but only 200 - 300 grams.

Not a huge game changer for recoil in a 30 cal.
Farmjer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 13 Jun 2014, 3:10 pm

farmerstuff wrote:Leupold 2-7x33 VX2. Perfect for that rifle. Keeping it light.

I'm shopping for another rifle at the moment for the partners hunting rifle.

That's exactly the setup I'm looking at with the Battue.

May well end up going with another 7mm-08 fluted, but having the Battue for something different would be cool. Decisions decisions.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Westy » 13 Jun 2014, 8:36 pm

kurl wrote:
Westy wrote:From memory I think it was shooting less than 1" MOA with Rem factory Ammo, was a real nice shooter less recoil than the T3 light might be the short barrel.

The timber versions are a bit heavier than the light versions right? Extra weight dulling down the recoil then?

This was a synthic stock model and I think we used 40mm were what we had hanging on the shed wall at the time that fitted.Oldskool is in N.T at the moment will get a pic when he gets back to Brisbane.Either way it's a cracker of a rifle ;) ;) ;)

cheers westy
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by boyou » 16 Jun 2014, 9:56 am

SendIt wrote:The thing to look out for is the size of your objective. (As you know) normally the barrel tapers down as you move toward the muzzle creating space for a larger objective lense.

The rear sight on the Battue ramps up and remove a lot of this space.

This leaves you with either putting on a very small objective lens, or straight tube like the 1.25-4x Leupold Hog scopes.

Yeah I see what you mean. I didn't think of that when looking at it for the first time.

Hmm, hmm. Not sure if that changes things for me now. Need to look through some of these smaller scopes now I guess.
boyou
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 16 Jun 2014, 10:45 am

Just my opinion here...

I reckon a lot of people get caught up on the idea of iron sights without the need for them.

The Scout like you mention for example, I think I've seen (pictures on the forum here) one person using theirs with open sights. The dozens of others have all been scoped with a regular scope, and 1/10 with a forward mounted Scout scope. What it's made for is wasted on 9/10 of the people who buy one and use it in a traditional scoped rifle setup.

Just saying, it sounds like you might have to compromise on the scope you want to allow for the built in sights. I'd give some thought to if you really will use the iron sights or if it's just a passing fancy. I wouldn't want to end up with a scope I don't really like for the sake of iron sights I use once in a blue moon just for kicks.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gregg » 16 Jun 2014, 10:55 am

Norton wrote:Just saying, it sounds like you might have to compromise on the scope you want to allow for the built in sights. I'd give some thought to if you really will use the iron sights or if it's just a passing fancy. I wouldn't want to end up with a scope I don't really like for the sake of iron sights I use once in a blue moon just for kicks.

I know it doesn't have the the same feel or charm whatever you want to call it, but TBH a low magnification scope is better than iron sights anyway. IMO.

All the benefits of IS like wide field of vision, fast target acquisition etc. are all achieved with a 1x or 2x scope. The scope has the extra advantage of only needing to put one cross-hair over a target instead of lining up two points for iron sights, and the increased accuracy that comes with doing that.

Getting down to fractions of a second here, but if that's what your focusing on than a low-mag scope does the same job faster that irons IMO and experience.

I get that people like a bit of zoom and the 1.25-4x won't be for everyone. But if you really need this kind of setup something like the 2-7x will definitely do the job and still give you a little reach.

2 cents.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles