CZ 452 not what I expected

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

CZ 452 not what I expected

Post by bunnybuster » 18 Jun 2014, 4:41 pm

Well,I have my new 452,HB,bought a CZ on the strength of owning BRNO 2 and a 5 which are very good rifles. I put a few rounds through the 452 and must say I'm surprised.

The trigger pull measured at 2.3 KG! and is gritty, with too much travel, I suppose the weight is legislation driven [accidental discharge] but please.

The dovetail is a pissant narrow 11mm,[yes I knew this before I bought it] why this was changed from the broad Mod 2 dovetail beats me.

This is difficult to buy a rail for to fit 22mm picatinny rings.The magazine feeds reliably and the fired cases extract and eject effectively.The stock is a nice piece of Walnut,and has a comfortable palm swelI and well proportioned forend with neat, close inletting.I haven't shot this for accuracy yet but can only hope.

Having my time over again,I would find a new model Lithgow ,or SAKO to try before 'ya buy.

Be Safe BB.
bunnybuster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Re: CZ 452 not what I expected

Post by Chronos » 18 Jun 2014, 5:03 pm

why would you want a piccatiny rail on a .22? this isn't COD you know :lol:

no offence but with the low recoil of a .22 you don't need any more you don't need anything more than the industry standard 11mm dovetail, you don't need the extra weight and you certainly won't be adding optical accessories like night vision

it's a .22, not a 7615

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 18 Jun 2014, 5:36 pm

"Chronos" ...!!! Now come on mate, be fair dinkum. It's a CZ, modern day Brno and will give your .22LR a run for it's money.... :D :D

Why not a Picatinny Rail on a .22LR, I've been there done that and swapped it to my CZ 527 Hornet but I was very close to ordering another. How else was I supposed to mount my 12-42x56mm Nightforce BR on a Brno.... ;) ;) So now it just wears a pitiful 3-9x40mm Zeiss, until I get the itch to play .22LR Target again so the Picatinny Rail will go back on with something silly like my 5-50x56mm March-X Tactical which will focus better at short range than the Nightforce.

So....what is COD, I imagine not Cash On Delivery which is what those initials stand for, maybe Carry Or Drag...dunno.... :shock:

My Brno Model 2 has 16mm Dovetails so anything that fits a CZ 527 does too but the Brno Model 2E I sadly parted with had 11mm (3/8") Dovetails and why the change I don't know. In the CZ 452 / 453's depending if it's a Varmint or not, .17HMR or other they actually vary. Some have 11mm and some have 16mm. Crazy.... They also have a slot for a Recoil Lug that some Scope Mounts have, perhaps some .22LR's kick a bit more than others.... :lol: :lol:

The trigger on any Brno or CZ is very easily and cheaply fixed to be absolutely magic. I didn't want to play around with Pin Punch's I didn't have so I ask my Gunsmith to fix my Brno 2E, my CZ 452 .17HMR the local Gunshop did before I took delivery, both set at about 1.5lb pull weight, no creep or after travel and my Brno Model 2 has not been touched as yet, a job I keep putting off. BTW, my Gunsmith will play with any CZ or Brno Rimfire, except a Brno Model 1 Trigger.

Enjoy your new CZ 452 and don't forget to buy as many different breeds of ammo as you can afford. They all like something different and one breed will certainly shine above others.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 18 Jun 2014, 5:47 pm

Apollo wrote:"Chronos" ...!!! Now come on mate, be fair dinkum. It's a CZ, modern day Brno and will give your .22LR a run for it's money.... :D :D

Why not a Picatinny Rail on a .22LR, I've been there done that and swapped it to my CZ 527 Hornet but I was very close to ordering another. How else was I supposed to mount my 12-42x56mm Nightforce BR on a Brno.... ;) ;) So now it just wears a pitiful 3-9x40mm Zeiss, until I get the itch to play .22LR Target again so the Picatinny Rail will go back on with something silly like my 5-50x56mm March-X Tactical which will focus better at short range than the Nightforce.

So....what is COD, I imagine not Cash On Delivery which is what those initials stand for, maybe Carry Or Drag...dunno.... :shock:

My Brno Model 2 has 16mm Dovetails so anything that fits a CZ 527 does too but the Brno Model 2E I sadly parted with had 11mm (3/8") Dovetails and why the change I don't know. In the CZ 452 / 453's depending if it's a Varmint or not, .17HMR or other they actually vary. Some have 11mm and some have 16mm. Crazy.... They also have a slot for a Recoil Lug that some Scope Mounts have, perhaps some .22LR's kick a bit more than others.... :lol: :lol:

The trigger on any Brno or CZ is very easily and cheaply fixed to be absolutely magic. I didn't want to play around with Pin Punch's I didn't have so I ask my Gunsmith to fix my Brno 2E, my CZ 452 .17HMR the local Gunshop did before I took delivery and my Brno Model 2 has not been touched as yet, a job I keep putting off. BTW, my Gunsmith will play with any CZ or Brno Rimfire, except a Brno Model 1 Trigger.

Enjoy your new CZ 452 and don't forget to buy as many different breeds of ammo as you can afford. They all like something different and one breed will certainly shine above others.

" Now come on mate, be fair dinkum. It's a CZ, modern day Brno and will give your .22LR a run for it's money.... :D :D"

that's my point, the 452 is known to one of the best modern .22's, just fit a good set of 11mm dovetail rings and a quality scope and it will do everything you could ever want, it's not black and tacticool

or sell it and buy this then you can mount a laser, torch and a grenade launcher but i bet it won's shot as good :lol:

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

sorry if i sounded toolish but come on, posting you're disappointed in a CZ 452 because the dovetail is, well the same as almost every other .22?

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 18 Jun 2014, 5:51 pm

And here I was expecting a bite from my mention of fitting my baby March Scope..... :) :lol: :)
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 18 Jun 2014, 6:05 pm

BTW.... The new Lithgow is yet to establish anything. Reliability, accuracy, trigger, etc. The Sako, well a little different priced.

What would I consider, and I mean consider other than a CZ or Brno .... An Anschutz but it would have to be one of the higher grade models that also come with a price tag.

And "Chronos" has a nice .22LR, forget the brand. that is actually an Anschutz. Very nice.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 18 Jun 2014, 8:20 pm

i'm far from an experienced shooter, but FWIW, i love my CZ 452.
1/2 MOA with SK match
she's an absolute pleasure to shoot
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Jun 2014, 9:18 pm

2.3 KG trigger pull sounds steep.

My 452 has a slight bit of creep but is no where near that heavy.

You can but a after market trigger pretty cheep, that would sort that out.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Apollo » 18 Jun 2014, 9:27 pm

You don't need an aftermarket trigger. Fiddle with the pin sleeves and spring and all is solved.

All available in a local supply kit from Lowey...
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Jun 2014, 7:09 pm

Apollo wrote:You don't need an aftermarket trigger. Fiddle with the pin sleeves and spring and all is solved.

All available in a local supply kit from Lowey...

I've got one of those kits on the way, exactly the same as the lowey one but sold on ebay.

Im expecting that while it will improve the trigger creep and pull weight, its a bit like putting lipstick on a pig, at the end of the day its still a pig.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by tactice » 19 Jun 2014, 8:31 pm

Always a bummer when you're disappointed with a purchase.

What's the plan? Pushing on or going to turn it over for something else?
Remington 700 VTR .22-250 Rem
Remington 700 VTR .308 Win
tactice
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by RealNick » 19 Jun 2014, 8:33 pm

bunnybuster wrote:The trigger pull measured at 2.3 KG! and is gritty, with too much travel, I suppose the weight is legislation driven [accidental discharge] but please.

Aren't all the 452's adjustable? Or was that the lightest it will let you go?
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rakk » 19 Jun 2014, 8:34 pm

99% sure the weight is adjustable but I don't know that travel can be taken out without work?

Not user adjustable I'm pretty sure.

Correct me if I'm wrong there BB.
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Wes » 19 Jun 2014, 8:37 pm

Chronos wrote:or sell it and buy this then you can mount a laser, torch and a grenade launcher but i bet it won's shot as good :lol:

I though a Flechette launcher was the current techie tacticool accessory :lol:
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by whert » 19 Jun 2014, 8:37 pm

Flechette launcher eh.

Category A then? :lol:
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wes » 19 Jun 2014, 8:38 pm

I reckon it would be 'Category OMFGBBQ MILITARY SCARY!'
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bunnybuster » 20 Jun 2014, 1:41 pm

Rakk wrote:99% sure the weight is adjustable but I don't know that travel can be taken out without work?

Not user adjustable I'm pretty sure.

Correct me if I'm wrong there BB.

Trigger weight was checked with a scale,not a guestimate,not adjustable in any respect,a smith can replace springs,hone the sear,and shim the travel,but is this why you buy a new rifle?

I am looking forward to a good day to shoot some groups.The use of a picatinny type rail was to utilise Warne rings I have and 22mm is a good rigid base,nothing to do with "tacticool".

Tactice,after paying $170 for the addition permit,a sell/buy is an expensive option,about the price of a Timinny trigger,when the going gets---------

Be Safe,BB.
bunnybuster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Apollo » 20 Jun 2014, 2:21 pm

BB, the trigger pull weight should be adjustable by adjusting the "trigger rod nut". See your owners manual. It will not lighten the pull weight a huge amount, especially on the very light side due to the spring behind that nut. A number of different spring weights are included in the kits.

The trigger shims will fix any creep and/or after pull but it's trial and error and keep testing each variation. It does make for a very nice trigger in the end.

You must remember these are not expensive rifles manufactured for precision target shooting and serve very well for just general use. You will get use to the factory trigger as it is but it's so much nicer when it's adjusted to your liking.

When I had my CZ452 .17HMR I had quite a few who shot it and didn't like the lighter 1.5lb non creep trigger at all. They were just too use to heavy trigger pull and lot's of creep before it fired. Were they what I would call accurate shots, no..!!! They more preferred to point a rifle, pull like hell on the trigger and hope they got somewhere close to what they were aiming at.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Rakk » 21 Jun 2014, 12:17 pm

bunnybuster wrote:Trigger weight was checked with a scale,not a guestimate,not adjustable in any respect,a smith can replace springs,hone the sear,and shim the travel,but is this why you buy a new rifle?

My bad, I thought there was an adjustment screw for weight.
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by tactice » 21 Jun 2014, 12:18 pm

bunnybuster wrote:Tactice,after paying $170 for the addition permit,a sell/buy is an expensive option,about the price of a Timinny trigger,when the going gets-

True. Forgot you guys had such expensive permits :(
Remington 700 VTR .22-250 Rem
Remington 700 VTR .308 Win
tactice
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Jun 2014, 1:12 pm

Just put one of the spring kits in it and it should be a lot better, easy to do - takes about 10mins, I did my Brno mod 2 as it had a heavier trigger than I like so I bought a Lowey kit for it and it's a lot nicer to shoot now.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 21 Jun 2014, 9:27 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Just put one of the spring kits in it and it should be a lot better, easy to do - takes about 10mins, I did my Brno mod 2 as it had a heavier trigger than I like so I bought a Lowey kit for it and it's a lot nicer to shoot now.

x2 Big Fella alot of guys use this rifle as a entry level Shiloute Rifle and alot keep shooting them for year after :?: :?: :?: Sorry you feel it's a piece of crap but a close friend with more years of shooting than me (He's 67) had one the other day at Belmont and it was shooting 1 hole groups at 50 with center X mind you it had had a little bit of work but still it was a $700 rifle and it was Bloody Awesome :!: :!: :!:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by AusC » 22 Jun 2014, 2:23 pm

tactice wrote:
bunnybuster wrote:Tactice,after paying $170 for the addition permit,a sell/buy is an expensive option,about the price of a Timinny trigger,when the going gets-

True. Forgot you guys had such expensive permits :(

Gotta love the $15 permits in VIC :D
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 22 Jun 2014, 3:10 pm

Gee, $15.00 that's $15.00 more than I pay.... :shock: :shock:

Some things in life are free.... :D
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by AusC » 25 Jun 2014, 8:43 pm

I thought NSW permits were similar to WA? $170 or something?

Or is that not the permit fee? Some other fee?

Could be confused...
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 25 Jun 2014, 10:18 pm

AusC wrote:I thought NSW permits were similar to WA? $170 or something?

Could be confused...

In nsw a permit to Aquire a firearm is $30

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 26 Jun 2014, 4:16 pm

AusC wrote:I thought NSW permits were similar to WA? $170 or something?

Could be confused...

In TAS per firearm you pay $13.50 to the government and up to $15 to the dealer.

The state isn't as draconian as some think.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by petemacsydney » 26 Jun 2014, 6:02 pm

that's because the money always stays in the family no matter who you pay in TAS...

sorry mate, couldn't resist...
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by AusC » 27 Jun 2014, 11:47 am

Chronos wrote:In nsw a permit to Aquire a firearm is $30

Right. I was told by some bloke in NSW it was a lot more.

Obviously I've got some bad info. He's either making stuff up for getting ripped by his local.

Or maybe I got something wrong, anyway...
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bunnybuster » 28 Jun 2014, 8:06 pm

Westy wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Just put one of the spring kits in it and it should be a lot better, easy to do - takes about 10mins, I did my Brno mod 2 as it had a heavier trigger than I like so I bought a Lowey kit for it and it's a lot nicer to shoot now.

x2 Big Fella alot of guys use this rifle as a entry level Shiloute Rifle and alot keep shooting them for year after :?: :?: :?: Sorry you feel it's a piece of crap but a close friend with more years of shooting than me (He's 67) had one the other day at Belmont and it was shooting 1 hole groups at 50 with center X mind you it had had a little bit of work but still it was a $700 rifle and it was Bloody Awesome :!: :!: :!:

Now, no Chinese whispers, I didn't say it was a piece of crap. I've had a gunsmith work over the trigger and it's improved out of sight, now looking for a good day to poke some holes in paper. Bought a pack of Eley to add to my test ammo,

Be Safe BB.
bunnybuster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles