Crossovers coming now

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Crossovers coming now

Post by MeccaOz » 19 Jun 2014, 12:32 pm

Got this from Lithgow

The wait is over - CrossOvers leave Lithgow

The Lithgow Arms team is pleased to announce that the first LA101 CrossOver rifles have been shipped out, heading to Winchester, our distributor.

The new Australian-made rifles are the result of much hard work and a significant response from the shooting community, and we'd like to thank all of you for the ideas and suggestions you've made along the way.

Your input has made the CrossOver an even better rifle.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Re: Crossovers coming now

Post by MeccaOz » 19 Jun 2014, 12:34 pm

I still think $1000 for an Aussie made rifle is a bit steep, unless it brings some thing extra to the table. I mean our imported rifles are that price or way less and we all know it doubles the original price to be imported .. So I guess we will see
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Norty_Country_Bloke » 19 Jun 2014, 1:59 pm

I know it's great to support Aussie business and jobs. But if the Crossover doesn't bring anything special, I don't see it being big seller. When the LA101 centrefires come I think business may pick up.
.22LR, .222 Remington, .12g. But it's not the same when they don't live in your safe :P
Norty_Country_Bloke
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 19 Jun 2014, 2:02 pm

Norty_Country_Bloke wrote:I know it's great to support Aussie business and jobs. But if the Crossover doesn't bring anything special, I don't see it being big seller. When the LA101 centrefires come I think business may pick up.

I saw one on used guns a while ago... $12000 ... LOL I bet business will pick up. I have a mate in New Zealand that has one, keeps asking when Im coming over for a shot, lol
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Chronos » 19 Jun 2014, 4:56 pm

MeccaOz wrote:I still think $1000 for an Aussie made rifle is a bit steep, unless it brings some thing extra to the table. I mean our imported rifles are that price or way less and we all know it doubles the original price to be imported .. So I guess we will see

Oh but it dies bring something extra , it's cerakoted to look like stainless ;)

I agree, at that price it should be superior to a CZ 455 and I can't see it ever being that good

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 19 Jun 2014, 5:13 pm

soooooooooo has anyone seen a froggly22... aka 'crossover' yet?
They were to hit the shelves about - some time ago werent they?

I love the add in Shooter mag featuring a blokey type bloke holding a rimfire while looking over miles of rugged ranges.....
I'm thinking if you're trekking into that kind of country...you'll need a bit more than a rimfire :?

The add should feature a paper target set at 25yards... with a spread of 12inches.... alright I'm taking the p$ss....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 19 Jun 2014, 5:22 pm

1290 wrote:soooooooooo has anyone seen a froggly22... aka 'crossover' yet?
They were to hit the shelves about - some time ago werent they?

I love the add in Shooter mag featuring a blokey type bloke holding a rimfire while looking over miles of rugged ranges.....
I'm thinking if you're trekking into that kind of country...you'll need a bit more than a rimfire :?

The add should feature a paper target set at 25yards... with a spread of 12inches.... alright I'm taking the p$ss....

Ha, I cringe every time I see that ad, where is he pointing that rifle with a closed bolt? I myself carry my rifle in the bush with the bolt closed on an empty chamber it just looks funny.

What concerns me is that in the magazine reviews they showed some groups around the 1"mark, so what You might say? They then go on to say they shot the rifles using various brands of ammo at the factory's 25 m testing range.

Sorry but if they can't shoot better than that word will be out quick smart and they simply won't sell

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 19 Jun 2014, 5:37 pm

Take the reviews.. especially shooter, with a grain or seven of salt.... everything their advertisers supply is sh$t hot and you'd be a mug not to buy... right?
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by MeccaOz » 19 Jun 2014, 5:52 pm

1290 wrote:Take the reviews.. especially shooter, with a grain or seven of salt.... everything their advertisers supply is sh$t hot and you'd be a mug not to buy... right?

YUP !!! But heres a link so y'all can have a look at it anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=search_videos&search_query=Lithgow+Arms&search_sort=relevance&search_category=0&page=
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by 1290 » 19 Jun 2014, 6:22 pm

MeccaOz wrote:
1290 wrote:Take the reviews.. especially shooter, with a grain or seven of salt.... everything their advertisers supply is sh$t hot and you'd be a mug not to buy... right?

YUP !!! But heres a link so y'all can have a look at it anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=search_videos&search_query=Lithgow+Arms&search_sort=relevance&search_category=0&page=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXXC6ZIWKQI
he's not really sure of who he's working for :? and all the test have apparently used the pre-production prototypes.... I wonder if they've actually got to production phase yet....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Combat_Wombat » 19 Jun 2014, 8:59 pm

I bet that if these were around the 4-600 mark everyone would be frothing at the mouth to get one. This is an Australian company making small batches not like savage pumping out thousands at a time. It's a steep price but it's supporting Aussie jobs and I'll probably pick one up for that reason.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 19 Jun 2014, 9:12 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:I bet that if these were around the 4-600 mark everyone would be frothing at the mouth to get one. This is an Australian company making small batches not like savage pumping out thousands at a time. It's a steep price but it's supporting Aussie jobs and I'll probably pick one up for that reason.

Don't for a second believe they're an Aussie company.... They may be employing Aussies (I would assume unless there importing the workers too)
and they'll produce the 22 rifle until the bosses in PARIS say so..... yup. as Aussie as frogs legs mate!
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Combat_Wombat » 19 Jun 2014, 10:42 pm

s**t my bad! Not surprising that this is the first I've heard of it though
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by crush » 20 Jun 2014, 8:42 am

I'm still keen to get my hands on one, if only to check it out.

High hopes, but aware that the mag adverts are probably a little slanted.

We'll see.
crush
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by upup » 20 Jun 2014, 8:45 am

1290 wrote:Don't for a second believe they're an Aussie company.... They may be employing Aussies (I would assume unless there importing the workers too) and they'll produce the 22 rifle until the bosses in PARIS say so..... yup. as Aussie as frogs legs mate!

I dunno if they still say this, but remember Ipods all said 'designed in california' on the back?

'designed' not 'made'.

Made by the boat load in Taiwan. I wonder how many people didn't appreciate the difference in the US.
upup
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by agentzero » 20 Jun 2014, 8:46 am

1290 wrote:I love the add in Shooter mag featuring a blokey type bloke holding a rimfire while looking over miles of rugged ranges.....

Must be where all those pygmy deer live. The little 2kg bucks.

They exist, right?
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Monty » 20 Jun 2014, 8:47 am

I think you've got that confused with Alice In Wonderland.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 20 Jun 2014, 9:50 am

agentzero wrote:
1290 wrote:I love the add in Shooter mag featuring a blokey type bloke holding a rimfire while looking over miles of rugged ranges.....

They exist, right?

of course they do
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by MeccaOz » 20 Jun 2014, 9:55 am

article-1065209-02D9708C00000578-977_468x352.jpg
article-1065209-02D9708C00000578-977_468x352.jpg (21.73 KiB) Viewed 8460 times

pygmi.jpg
pygmi.jpg (110.03 KiB) Viewed 8460 times
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Chronos » 20 Jun 2014, 9:58 am

1290 wrote:
agentzero wrote:

They exist, right?

of course they do

That pic must have been taken after the shed, here's one taken in the middle of the rut

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 20 Jun 2014, 10:17 am

LMAO
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Apollo » 20 Jun 2014, 10:58 am

1290 wrote:Don't for a second believe they're an Aussie company.... They may be employing Aussies (I would assume unless there importing the workers too) and they'll produce the 22 rifle until the bosses in PARIS say so..... yup. as Aussie as frogs legs mate!

If you are going to say that then you might as well include the ADI Powder we use. Parent company Thales France.

Then if you own a Commodore or Falcon you are in the same situation. Both being "Yank Tanks" since their Parent Company is in the USA.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 20 Jun 2014, 11:20 am

Apollo wrote:

If you are going to say that then you might as well include the ADI Powder we use. Parent company Thales France.

Then if you own a Commodore or Falcon you are in the same situation. Both being "Yank Tanks" since their Parent Company is in the USA.

The basically are, the commodore is designed and built around a template set out by GM to accept their drivetrain, a cost cutting measure. And that's going to increase as we loose the rear drive commodore and adopt their front drive layout I the next five years or so

What then? Australian made rifles that are just FN barreled actions in Australian made stocks? :lol:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 20 Jun 2014, 11:34 am

Apollo wrote:

Absolutely, Ford, GMH, toyo, mitsu, the great Aussie myth of Aussie cars.....

And let's not start on selling out our defense industries....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 20 Jun 2014, 2:33 pm

Bit late on selling our Defence Industry. Already happened to Thales both ADI and Lithgow Small Arms Factory making the Australian Military's Austeyr Rifles.

At least the Crossover is something new, time will tell on it's value and overall accuracy.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 20 Jun 2014, 2:41 pm

Apollo wrote:Bit late on selling our Defence Industry. Already happened to Thales both ADI and Lithgow Small Arms Factory making the Australian Military's Austeyr Rifles.

At least the Crossover is something new, time will tell on it's value and overall accuracy.

Yeah It was made in Australia. thats about the best we can hope for in todays market. If it takes off Im sure the parent will sell it world wide. Either way I do need a rimfire, and if it turns out to be a good small game hunter in people eyes I'll take a look then and give it preference.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Mark TAC » 21 Jun 2014, 12:09 am

Not big on the stock. They are talking about plastics moulding based on F88 tech. Assault rifles are not exactly known for precision. So we are talking tough and nice finish - great- but how about the accuracy / stiffness / bedding of that stock? I doubt it is really very good.

Yes all .22's have moulded stocks, not real fibreglass. BUT for double the price I'd expect a bit more.

If it shoots 1moa and has a stock made from recycled Coke bottles it is no better than any $400 rimfire, so I reckon it won't sell.
Maker of carbon fibre / Kevlar(TM) tactical stocks
www.MSTactical.com

CZ 452 .22 - Leupy 2-7x33
Rem700 VSF .22/250 - Bushnell Elite 4200 6-20x40
Rem700 Sendero .300WinMag - Leupold 3.5-10x40 LR/T
Sako L461 custom .222 - Sighton SII 3-9x42
Mark TAC
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by 1290 » 21 Jun 2014, 3:00 am

Apollo wrote:Bit late on selling our Defence Industry. Already happened to Thales both ADI and Lithgow Small Arms Factory making the Australian Military's Austeyr Rifles.

I'm saying dont get ME started on selling out....

But as far as how well it will do sales wise, the 'Aussies who want that piece of Aussie nostalgia' yes, will buy it, then what.... the yanks wont buy it, not sure if taa-less will try to sell it over there. If they do it will be like the powder - half price to the USA market...
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by howtow » 21 Jun 2014, 12:13 pm

Ford are moving out of manufacturing in Australia now.

Maybe a gun maker can pick up their old factory for some real Australian made ;)
howtow
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by headwerkn » 01 Jul 2014, 12:38 am

Chronos wrote:Oh but it does(sp) bring something extra , it's cerakoted to look like stainless ;)

Actually it is Cerakoted to look like satiny-dull-titanium. It's quite attractive to look at in the flesh, doesn't reflect light to scare off quarry and most importantly is less likely to rust than either stainless or blued steel. Considering how much an after-the-fact Cerakote job costs ($300-$350), it's actually one of the things that helps the CrossOver justify its pricing premium over a $700 blued CZ452.

Chronos wrote:What concerns me is that in the magazine reviews they showed some groups around the 1"mark, so what You might say? They then go on to say they shot the rifles using various brands of ammo at the factory's 25 m testing range.

It was over 50 metres... trust me, I was one of the blokes there in March for the pre-release media event.

The very short amount of time we got to actually fathom the rifle's potential for accuracy was pretty frustrating, to be honest... the breeze was rather variable on the range, we were bouncing between I think 6 different types of ammo which seemed to be producing a lot of fouling shots/flyers on otherwise promising groups... that and with 7 blokes all hankering for trigger time it was all rather rushed. I don't pretend to be the greatest benchrester on the planet - nailing rabbits is more my thing - but given the likes of Briel, Andy, John and Sir Nick Harvey himself were managing the same sub-1" groups that I was, something was definitely up.

Lithgow Arms said prior there were managing under 1MOA and sent me through some groups from one of their testers, averaging 0.8 to 0.5MOA. It's on the CrossOver thread at ShootingAustralia.net if you're interested.

To be honest the rifle's real accuracy won't be known until a bunch of very capable shooters get the time to sit down and tinker, but all signs indicate it should be a pretty darn capable rifle.

1290 wrote:Don't for a second believe they're an Aussie company.... They may be employing Aussies (I would assume unless there importing the workers too)
and they'll produce the 22 rifle until the bosses in PARIS say so..... yup. as Aussie as frogs legs mate!

No getting around that Lithgow Arms is ultimately owned by Thales and Thales is a French-multinational, but to claim it isn't an Aussie rifle is drawing a long bow. It was designed in Australia, by Australians, and is built in Lithgow and Melbourne (where the stocks are made) by Australians. And yes, most of the blokes on the factory floor looked pretty darn Aussie to me. Lithgow Arms say that 92% of the rifle's value is Australian made.... by way of comparison, to apply for the 'Australian Made' logo/programme requires only 50% value. About the only thing on the rifle that isn't Australian is the raw steel for the barrel and action, which comes from Europe as decent barrel steel is simply not available locally these days.

It's worth mentioning that the CrossOver is Lithgow Arms/Thales first venture into branching out into the civilian market to decrease their dependency on the Australian military market, which will contract once the SA2 program is complete. The CrossOver program has been designed and costed entirely around our local market; if it is successful other models will follow. They're pretty damn serious about taking a decent chunk of the market here long term. Given that few would have thought 2 years ago we'd see a mass produced Australian made rifle again, the times are indeed exciting.

Mark TAC wrote:Not big on the stock. They are talking about plastics moulding based on F88 tech. Assault rifles are not exactly known for precision. So we are talking tough and nice finish - great- but how about the accuracy / stiffness / bedding of that stock? I doubt it is really very good.

The stock uses a fairly intricate 4-point bedding system and the barrel is fully floated as you'd expect. The prototype I handled/shot was machined rather than the moulded polymer the production rifles use but it was very solid indeed with no discernible flex or twist. I've handed a few sub-$500 plastic stock'd rifles and this felt nothing like any of them.

Invariably some people will always prefer timber stocks (it'll happen sooner or later) but the polymer stock for the initial version made sense; it's where Lithgow's expertise and supply ability was at, and as an all-weather hunting/farm rifle, combined with the cerakoted metal, it's the smarter option IMHO.

And you're talking about someone who owns over a dozen timber-and-blue'd rifles, including 8 Lithgow Slazengers ;-)

Cheers, Ben.
Last edited by headwerkn on 02 Jul 2014, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
headwerkn
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles