Tikka T3 500m Fly/LR target rig

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Tikka T3 500m Fly/LR target rig

Post by Chronos » 29 Jun 2014, 9:47 pm

Hi all

I made some changes to a rifle I have owned for about 4 years today and I thought i'd share some pics and talk about it a little

It started out as a Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless chambered in 7-08. I purchased it as a step up from my .223 1:8" twist tikka varmint and shot it in high power/service rifle style matches and centerfire silhouette for a couple of years before the long range bug hit and shooting 500m standing didn't deliver the fix i was looking for.

I spoke to a well known NSW gunsmith about fitting a match grade target barrel to my existing action and had a 28" straight taper barrel fitted in my chosen chambering, .284 Winchester. For those who don't know the .284W was developed to directly compete with the .270 shooting similar weight bullets at similar velocities but in a short action and Winchester developed their Winchester 88 lever gun around the cartridge but the gun failed to stick around and was soon forgotten. The .284W case though found a home with target shooters and wildcatters being necked up to .30cal and down to 6mm and 6.5mm. with the 6.5-284 becoming a popular long range cartridge and indeed today it's the most used variant and both Lapua and Norma manufacture quality brass for it.

To complete my build I purchased a Gunworks Laminated varmint stock and had the gunsmith pillar and glass bed it for the action. I fitted a Yodave trigger spring which allowed the trigger release to be set to 12oz and fitted a Sightron Siii 10-50X60 mounted in Leupold QRW rings on a Ken Farrell 20MOA stell Pic rail. I also fitted a Sinclair Intl tactical bipod and some Sierra 175gr Match kings and 200 Lapua Cases. Initial 500m testing saw a couple of sub MOA groups then a final test saw a 5 shot group of around 4" with 4 shots into 2 1/2"

The rifles first outing was to a ACT Tactical Service comp where I shot form 300m-800m without any data other than a 500m zero and a velocity. I under performed as would be expected but finished mid field with the "little" 7mm being single loaded fighting against a group of Blazer's, Sako TRG's and AI tactical outfits with 10 round mags and cartridges including 300WM's and .338Lap's. In fact in the blustery cross wind conditions at 800m I was the only shooter all day to go close to a hit the "huns Head" target (an A4 sized German soldiers head) albeit 2" low on the target and outside the scoring area but dead on line.

With the help of a mate advice and his convenient sighting in spot i worked up a load using Bergers 180gr Hybrids and ADI 2209. the final load saw velocities sitting at 2740fps with low ES and SD numbers. The beauty of the cartridge shows here with it's ability to launch an extremely high BC 180gr bullet at those speeds with just 50gr of powder

The stock i had been using had a rounded forend that while it sat well on a bipod it was not suited to shooting of a front rest and with hopes of competing in 500M fly benchrest comps and F class I made the decision to sell the stock and look for a 3" forend BR stock. Easier said than done for the T3 action at the time so the rifle was swapped back to 7-08 and put into the standard stock for a while.

I made the decision in June 2012 to shoot in a 500m fly match in Batemans Bay but without a stock I rushed into bedding a blank myself and to be honest botched it in an attempt to do it in under a week. So once again the gun went back into it's stock and sat in the safe.

So what did i change?

Well my lovely wife bought me a GRS F Class stock for my birthday and I fitted it up today.

Here's some pics of it in standard form, still fitted with 20MOA rail and with a Bushnell 6500 2.5-16X42. a package that's proved itself with sub 1/2 moa groups with 120gr nosler balistic tips, 130gr speer SP, 140gr Rem corelokt, 150gr SMK, 162gr Amax, 168gr SMK

Here is the Gunworks Thumbhole Varmint stock and Sightron Siii 10-50X60

Here 3 shots at 500m then the 4th shot on a 4" steel gong at 500m

We experimenter with a Widden bullet pointing die, here's 5 shot groups, the left group is factory 180gr Berger Hybrids, on the right is the same bullet, meplat uniformed and then the bullet pointed. You can see the difference in vertical between the two groups.

And here's the GRS F Class with the Tikka Varmint stock for comparison. You'll notice the longer forend which will help support the 28" barrel and will sit in my SEB Gen 1 Front rest and BIGFOOT rear bag. sorry for the pics, taken inside at night.

enjoy, Chronos

Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Re: Tikka T3 500m Fly/LR target rig

Post by zook60 » 30 Jun 2014, 7:07 am

Thanks for the review mate. All I can say say is isn't the Yo-Dave the best upgrade you can make to a T3?
It takes it from the best factory trigger to as good as a custom. T3 varmints are a seriously underrated range gun.
zook60
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 30 Jun 2014, 10:14 am

zook60 wrote:Thanks for the review mate. All I can say say is isn't the Yo-Dave the best upgrade you can make to a T3?
It takes it from the best factory trigger to as good as a custom. T3 varmints are a seriously underrated range gun.

Thanks zook

Yeah I agree about the Yodave trigger springs. The standard Tikka T3 trigger is miles ahead of any other factory trigger I've ever shot. Even with the standard pull weight its crisp and breaks consistently. The single set trigger in my wife's CZ 527 was woeful out if the box but is adjustable and can be tweaked beautifully but it's a more expensive gun than a T3 lite so you're paying for it. IMHO the higher priced tikka's should come with a single set adjustable trigger but its a $200+ option

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by dustin » 04 Jul 2014, 1:01 pm

Chronos wrote:Well my lovely wife bought me a GRS F Class stock for my birthday and I fitted it up today.

You lie! Women with such shopping skills do not exist! :lol:
dustin
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Monty » 04 Jul 2014, 1:02 pm

Thanks for the great write-up for the forum, Chronos.

I'm sure we all appreciate it.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by gherx » 04 Jul 2014, 1:03 pm

That gong is like a trophy you should hang on your wall.

Looks cool with the single impact dead-centre :)

Nice shootin'!
gherx
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Sakoh » 04 Jul 2014, 1:04 pm

That's a pro looking stock.

Mind if I ask how much it was Chronos?
Sakoh
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 04 Jul 2014, 9:18 pm

gherx wrote:That gong is like a trophy you should hang on your wall.

Nice shootin'!

LOL funny thing is it wasn't mine. It belongs to a mate who kindly offered it up. (Just quietly I don't think he thought I could hit it at 500m and it would be still untouched :lol:)

As for cost the gunsmiths in Sydney had this model for $850. Not cheap (especially compared to find of the entry level Boyd's stocks but these are 100% drop in fit) but quite reasonably considering the quality of the finish and the accesories like tool free push button adjustable cheek piece and butt plate.

GRS also make hunting stocks but I've been told nioa have taken over the importing of their stocks and while that may mean better availibility, prices may also change

Chronos

http://thegunsmiths.com.au/guns-shop/gr ... 6f2873620c
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 06 Jul 2014, 9:13 pm

That's one sweet shooter Chronos now that's pure class!!!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 06 Jul 2014, 10:49 pm

gherx wrote:That gong is like a trophy you should hang on your wall.

Nice shootin'!

Sorry, but I painted over it...... :lol:

There's a bit more to the story involving a Blackberry Bush in front of the Plate... ;)

But by gee, they make a nice loud ring even at 500 metres.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by gherx » 07 Jul 2014, 11:40 am

Oh well,

I suppose you can always do a cheat shot at 50m to hit the same place then just say it's the 500m one :lol:

It's just a little white lie :D
gherx
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Sakoh » 07 Jul 2014, 11:41 am

Chronos wrote:As for cost the gunsmiths in Sydney had this model for $850. Not cheap...

Ouch.

Too rich for my liking.
Sakoh
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 07 Jul 2014, 12:12 pm

gherx wrote:Oh well,

I suppose you can always do a cheat shot at 50m to hit the same place then just say it's the 500m one :lol:

It's just a little white lie :D

Bit like cheating at golf though, might sound like a good story but if you can't back it up at that range next time you'll be picked up pretty quick.

As to Apollos comment about the blackberry bush you'll see from the three sighting shots on paper the point of impact was a few inches high and right, that meant when I went for the shot on the steel my point if aim was below the left corner of the plate, partly obscured by a clump of blackberry. He might call it a fluke shot, I ca it hold off well judged :lol:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by pucker » 07 Jul 2014, 3:14 pm

gherx wrote:I suppose you can always do a cheat shot at 50m to hit the same place then just say it's the 500m one :lol:

So that's how you bastards are shooting such better groups than me! :evil:

:lol:
pucker
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by gherx » 07 Jul 2014, 3:15 pm

Chronos wrote:Bit like cheating at golf though, might sound like a good story but if you can't back it up at that range next time you'll be picked up pretty quick.

It's called retiring undefeated :D
gherx
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Asgard » 14 May 2017, 9:50 pm

Howdy, i'm trying to figure out the overall length of an F class rifle such as this one, trying to determine what sized safe i need in order to store one.

how long would this one be?

currently look at some of the lokaway options

Cheers
A
Asgard
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 15 May 2017, 12:21 am

Asgard wrote:Howdy, i'm trying to figure out the overall length of an F class rifle such as this one, trying to determine what sized safe i need in order to store one.

how long would this one be?

currently look at some of the lokaway options

Cheers
A

Boy, it's a long time since this topic came up on the Forum.

Okay, I'm pretty sure my 500m Fly / F-Class Rifle is longer than the one Chronos has pictured if that's what you refer to. I can measure but at present my rifles this long are stored in a Buffalo River Silver Series 14 Gun Safe. I have about 25-30mm under the wooden shelf in the top part, BUT, the shelf is removable which would give another 200mm plus room if for say I had a 31" barrel rather than the current 28.5". If you want some measurements and perhaps some photo's I can do that for you when time permits and not so late/early in the morning.

The really long Rifle's are the Full Bore Class and those chasing maximum velocity that shoot 1,000 Yards plus... typically 31" or maybe better, the longest I have seen was 31.5" but it looked like it was a mile long. ;)

BTW..this is my 500m/F-Class 6.5x47 Lapua Stolle.

And the best I've done at 500 Metres in a National Competition was a 1.182" 5 shot group. I haven't beaten it for a few years.
Attachments
tn_Picture 007.jpg
tn_Picture 007.jpg (106.56 KiB) Viewed 5842 times
tn_Picture 037.jpg
tn_Picture 037.jpg (229.22 KiB) Viewed 5842 times
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 16 May 2017, 6:43 pm

Yeah raising the dead bit with this thread but with the 28" barrel it's strangely enough 4" longer than it was when it had a 24" barrel on it :lol:

Have two more barrels for it now, a .308W barrel set up for F standard shooting and another 28" barrel chambered in 7X47Lap for shooting F open. Problem is these days like a lot of others working Saturdays and family stuff means I don't get to the range much more than the minimum attendance requirements and even then it's only to sight in before a hunting trip

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles