Buying second hand rifles worth it?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Buying second hand rifles worth it?

Post by Tiiger » 07 Sep 2013, 10:29 am

What do people think of buying second hand rifles?

Anyone a fan of it or had any problems?

Normally I'm fine with second hand whatever... But I guess there are the potential safety issues with rifles if they've been abused or knocked about?

Worth the saving? What do people think?
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Buying second hand rifles worth it?

Post by Fry » 07 Sep 2013, 5:22 pm

They don't really depreciate that much if they're in good condition.

20% less than retail if they're as new from what I've seen when looking.

Price goes down more significantly as condition gets worse which you may or not be interesting in buying...

I like to buy new if I can afford so I have a shiny new pride and joy :D
Fry
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Aussier » 08 Sep 2013, 4:15 pm

One thing I have noticed with some (not all obviously) is basically 'they don't make em like they used to'...

Seen a couple of cases with Remington's and others where the 10-15 year old rifle shoots and even feels a little better than a 'new' one.

Rugers I know have a few bad years there where they were outsourcing barrels or something like that and so on...

Definitely don't discount just because it's a few years old.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Grated » 08 Sep 2013, 5:45 pm

Aussier wrote:Rugers I know have a few bad years there where they were outsourcing barrels or something like that and so on...

I think that was late 90's though when they had their bad run. There stuff is fine now.

People have just been parroting it on around the internet pretending they're experts when they just read the same thing somewhere else on the net and have never actually shot a Ruger themselves. They have NFI what they're actually talking about...
Thin out their numbers, Ned!

Mmm, thin out their numbers!
Grated
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Seik » 08 Sep 2013, 5:50 pm

A mate of mine was shopping for a Ruger Scout a while ago, they were selling second hand for about $100 less than brand new ones :/

He bought a new one from his LGS instead obviously...
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Vati » 09 Sep 2013, 1:38 pm

Seik wrote:A mate of mine was shopping for a Ruger Scout a while ago, they were selling second hand for about $100 less than brand new ones :/

He bought a new one from his LGS instead obviously...

Demand for the Scouts kept their prices unusually high on the second hand market though.

Usually there is a greater discount to be had on second hand guns that you got with a Scout in the past. Price for them is still up a bit but they're starting to come down a little now that the initial hype has passed.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 09 Sep 2013, 4:18 pm

Vati wrote:Demand for the Scouts kept their prices unusually high on the second hand market though.

Usually there is a greater discount to be had on second hand guns that you got with a Scout in the past. Price for them is still up a bit but they're starting to come down a little now that the initial hype has passed.

Never understood the demand for the Ruger Scouts, it's an Ok rifle but ultimately just a regular bolt action with a picatinny rail.

People couldn't buy them fast enough when they came out... Ruger must have made a fortune.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Hardcast » 05 Oct 2013, 2:08 pm

I have no probs at all buying a S/H firearm of any type, even from interstate, provided I can see it and shoot it, or in the case of interstate,
it comes through a known reliable dealer.
As with most things, there are bargains to be had, if you're not carefull, there are also many lemons.

Caveat emptor. Let the buyer beware.
Hardcast
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Tiiger » 05 Oct 2013, 2:43 pm

Hardcast wrote:As with most things, there are bargains to be had, if you're not carefull, there are also many lemons.

Caveat emptor. Let the buyer beware.

True, true.

Still on the fence a bit about it TBH but I'm coming around.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldboy 7mm Dakota » 06 Oct 2013, 9:35 am

It depends on the seller and what cal you are buying second hand.

If it was 22.250 or a barrel burner like that I would be hesitant but 22lr, 30.06 ,308, 223 and so on not so bad if they shoot good groups and haven't fired a million rounds. You can even buy one that is shagged in the barrel and have it rebarreled if it is cheap enough.

I brought a new rifle a couple of years ago and it had to go back as it wouldn't feed off the left hand side of the action and it would have taken 9 months for a replacement so got my money back. I got 1 custom built instead and it shots s**t hot and I am now going to sell it as I don't use it and I have some new cals that I want to build, fired less than a 130 rounds.

Also selling a 223 HS2000 pro varm which has only fired 400 rounds that I'm selling as I want to build a 6mm BR, so there are good buys out there, you have to know what you want and buy good bang for your buck.

Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Norton » 06 Oct 2013, 4:34 pm

Oldboy 7mm Dakota wrote:If it was 22.250 or a barrel burner like that I would be hesitant but 22lr, 30.06 ,308, 223 and so on not so bad if they shoot good groups and haven't fired a million rounds.

Against everyone's advice, a bloke I know bought a .243 which the guy had been shooting super hot loads in for ages.

Sure enough, barrel was so degraded that you couldn't hit the side of a barn with it and he ended up reselling it 4 months later :roll:
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldboy 7mm Dakota » 06 Oct 2013, 6:30 pm

Thats what happens when some one is not being honest with the amount of rounds down the tube and how it groups.
That should of been advertised as only good for action and stock needs to be re barreled. These kind of people that sell items and miss lead consumers should be held accountable . I believe used guns are very hard on these people if they are found to have mislead buyers with adds.
Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Yelp » 06 Oct 2013, 6:39 pm

Norton wrote:Sure enough, barrel was so degraded that you couldn't hit the side of a barn with it and he ended up reselling it 4 months later :roll:

Well that sucks :(
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Harper » 06 Oct 2013, 6:41 pm

Oldboy 7mm Dakota wrote:I believe used guns are very hard on these people if they are found to have mislead buyers with adds.

I wonder what they can actually do though?

Ban somebody from the site I guess... Doesn't help if they only had one crappy rifle to get rid of and they get banned after they've moved it on.

Sucks that people aren't honest :(
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by stab » 06 Oct 2013, 11:22 pm

I bought my Howa .223 with a heavy barrel and Boyds stock second hand from interstate. Its been a really beauty and was a good 200-300 cheaper plus all the goodies that came with it.
All depends on the quality of the item. Ask lots of questions and know what your buying and you won't look back.
stab
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Tiiger » 07 Oct 2013, 6:43 am

stab wrote:I bought my Howa .223 with a heavy barrel and Boyds stock second hand from interstate. Its been a really beauty and was a good 200-300 cheaper plus all the goodies that came with it.

All depends on the quality of the item. Ask lots of questions and know what your buying and you won't look back.

That's more encouraging. Cheers.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GPostal » 08 Oct 2013, 8:01 pm

Buying sight unseen your always on shaky ground. Its a leap of faith that the rifle is good based on someone's opinion who wants to sell their rifle.
I've bought new and gun was a dud and bought second hand online and was a dud. Do your research and get a second opinion from the gun store they are transferring through if you cant see it first hand.
Try and have a shoot before if you can.
No one sells a rifle that shoots great :P
I rarely buy rifles that I cant check out first and I have over 15 second hand rifles that are as good or better than expected :)
Some .22's--Lots of 303 Lithgows--Tactical Mosin--7mm and an 8mm--Underover--Farmers Shottie--Angel and Omark
GPostal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by tucked » 08 Oct 2013, 9:20 pm

GPostal wrote:No one sells a rifle that shoots great :P

I rarely buy rifles that I cant check out first and I have over 15 second hand rifles that are as good or better than expected :)

You barely by rifles... except for the dozens you have :lol:
tucked
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by GPostal » 08 Oct 2013, 9:47 pm

Hahahah
"I rarely buy rifles that I cant check out first "
Edit me not :P
Some .22's--Lots of 303 Lithgows--Tactical Mosin--7mm and an 8mm--Underover--Farmers Shottie--Angel and Omark
GPostal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles