Erma Werke EG-73 vs. Winchester 9422?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Erma Werke EG-73 vs. Winchester 9422?

Post by Kaine » 08 Jul 2014, 9:42 am

Looking for a lever action .22 WMR, the Marlin 39 would be nice, but not spending $1000+ on a plinking gun (maybe occasional pest control, but this is essentially a family fun gun) would be nicer, honestly anything over $700 is pushing it. Don't really want a Henry either, I have enough plastic Nerf guns.

So from what I have found that leaves me with a choice between the Erma Werke EG-73 or the Winchester 9422.

My father has an Erma and it is a nice gun to shoot, running CCI V-Max like a dream, never had any problems except when using rounds that have a lip or ridge like the Winchester Power Point. I love shooting it, but I don't know what the standard is for them, if he got lucky. Well, I don't want to risk buying a secondhand paperweight.

Then there is the Win 9422, people seem to like this one, doesn't seem to have any obvious failings and is of good quality. However it is roughly twice the price, and some are over my budget. I am leaning towards the Winchester, but if I can save a couple hundred, I can spend that on ammo.

So what do you guys and gals think?
Si vis pacem fac bellum
Kaine
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Erma Werke EG-73 vs. Winchester 9422?

Post by Ironsides » 09 Jul 2014, 8:54 am

I don't know why you would discount the Henry, after all it is essentially a copy of the Erma and is no longer produced with plastic parts. Unlike the 9422 and the EG mentioned it is also still in production and can be had (NEW) for under $700.

http://www.gunemporium.com.au/Henry-22L ... ction.html

Discussion about discontinued plastic parts:
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/henry ... -band.html
Ironsides
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Kaine » 09 Jul 2014, 1:18 pm

There are two distinct reasons why I have discounted the Henry.

Firstly, they used plastic parts in the first place which does not inspire any confidence in their 'copy' and makes me question what else they have cut corners on.

Secondly, the cheapest .22 WMR I can find is $750. That is more than some of the second hand 9422s.

Just because it is based off of the Erma doesn't mean much, plus they are Americans copying Germans, plastic parts are not the only concern at this point.

I will admit the Henry is third on my list at this stage, only because I know I can buy a new one, but I can't find any information to dissuade me from buying either the Erma or Winchester.
Si vis pacem fac bellum
Kaine
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Khan » 10 Jul 2014, 1:56 pm

Shame you can't splurge a little and go up to the Marlin.

I only say because I have a 1894 myself, and have friends with a bunch of marlins from old to new. I've shot them all and they're all good.

I dunno, hoping I can talk you around :lol: Maybe that's plain unhelpful though, ha ha.
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by lole » 10 Jul 2014, 2:01 pm

SSAA did a piece on the 9422 if you didn't catch it already.

Scoring procedure
Scores were given out of a total of 20 by each reviewer. The three scores were then averaged. Scores were given for value, design, weight, handling and maintenance. The highest score was given for accuracy. The scoring method and overall review procedure was designed in co-ordination with the three experts.

Winchester Model 9422 Walnut
Calibre: .22 Short, Long and Long Rifle or .22WMR
Action: Side eject lever, grooved receiver
Barrel: 20½"
Weight: 6¼ lbs
Length: 371/8"
Stock: American walnut or laminated
Finish: Blue
Distributed by: Olin Australia Winchester Division
Score: 14.5
Quite accurate with all three versions of ammunition and a good short lever throw for loading. Half cock hammer safety. Smooth trigger actions with good traditional design and a single screw takedown.
It had an adjustable rear sight, grooved receiver for scope mounting and a satin finish with American walnut stock. A reliable .22 with a feel and look like its centrefire big brother.

Not exactly a huge review but hope it helps.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gregg » 10 Jul 2014, 2:06 pm

Ironsides wrote:I don't know why you would discount the Henry, after all it is essentially a copy of the Erma and is no longer produced with plastic parts.

On the subject of copies... Isn't the Erma basically a German made copy of the 9422?

Unless they've improved on it somehow you might as well go for the original since it's getting good reviews.

2c.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Kaine » 14 Jul 2014, 10:24 am

Khan wrote:Shame you can't splurge a little and go up to the Marlin.

I only say because I have a 1894 myself, and have friends with a bunch of marlins from old to new. I've shot them all and they're all good.

I dunno, hoping I can talk you around :lol: Maybe that's plain unhelpful though, ha ha.

I wish, but personally can't justify spending that much for a .22, a 30-30 on the other hand, well good thing gun safes can store more than one gun. :lol:

lole wrote:SSAA did a piece on the 9422 if you didn't catch it already.

Scoring procedure
Scores were given out of a total of 20 by each reviewer. The three scores were then averaged. Scores were given for value, design, weight, handling and maintenance. The highest score was given for accuracy. The scoring method and overall review procedure was designed in co-ordination with the three experts.

Winchester Model 9422 Walnut
Calibre: .22 Short, Long and Long Rifle or .22WMR
Action: Side eject lever, grooved receiver
Barrel: 20½"
Weight: 6¼ lbs
Length: 371/8"
Stock: American walnut or laminated
Finish: Blue
Distributed by: Olin Australia Winchester Division
Score: 14.5
Quite accurate with all three versions of ammunition and a good short lever throw for loading. Half cock hammer safety. Smooth trigger actions with good traditional design and a single screw takedown.
It had an adjustable rear sight, grooved receiver for scope mounting and a satin finish with American walnut stock. A reliable .22 with a feel and look like its centrefire big brother.

Not exactly a huge review but hope it helps.

Cheers mate, I did see that before, thought it was odd that they only tested(or referenced) the 9422 in .22wmr when some of the others came in the same caliber.

Gregg wrote:
Ironsides wrote:I don't know why you would discount the Henry, after all it is essentially a copy of the Erma and is no longer produced with plastic parts.

On the subject of copies... Isn't the Erma basically a German made copy of the 9422?

Unless they've improved on it somehow you might as well go for the original since it's getting good reviews.

2c.

Something I was told by one of the LGS in my area, is that the Erma (and Henry) use aluminium components that tend to fail, explosively, after repeated use. I am going to pull apart the Erma we already have and see if this information is correct, but if it is, that means the only option in my price range is a 9422.
I don't think the Erma is a copy though, as it is lacking the safety mechanism that the 9422 has.
Si vis pacem fac bellum
Kaine
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Khan » 14 Jul 2014, 10:54 am

Kaine wrote:I wish, but personally can't justify spending that much for a .22, a 30-30 on the other hand, well good thing gun safes can store more than one gun. :lol:

Yeah fair enough.

Well, if you're every thinking about a .44 I give mine the thumb up ;)
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Kaine » 16 Jul 2014, 5:02 pm

Well just to make the cycle complete, I can confirm that the Erma has an aluminium receiver, which wouldn't be a concern, except that there is a small lip around the bottom of the chamber which is part of the receiver.
From what I can see, if the bolt isn't seated forward properly when firing it is conceivable that there could be some blowback that would cause a receiver failure. When operating the lever there is a noticeable click when you close the bolt, but it is possible to fire the firearm prior to 'locking it down' which would be a bad thing.
Don't quote me on this, but I am suspicious it has more to do with operator error than with a design fault, not having had a look at one of these 'failures' first hand, and only having one source (that is not verified) everything above is pure speculation.

So end result, it's not gonna stop me from enjoying the Erma, but I am still getting a 9422/M myself.

Khan wrote:
Kaine wrote:I wish, but personally can't justify spending that much for a .22, a 30-30 on the other hand, well good thing gun safes can store more than one gun. :lol:

Yeah fair enough.

Well, if you're every thinking about a .44 I give mine the thumb up ;)

I'm curious, is that a pre or post Remington take over model?
I am definitely getting a Marlin 336 in 30-30, but the horror stories about Remlins kind of keep pushing me away. Or at least keep me concerned enough to divert focus on to acquiring other rifles on my list.
Si vis pacem fac bellum
Kaine
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Khan » 19 Jul 2014, 1:42 pm

Pre take over.

Mid-late 90's ?
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Harper » 19 Jul 2014, 1:42 pm

The take over was 2007 I think so you're well in the clear.
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Khan » 19 Jul 2014, 1:44 pm

Yep, pre take over.

No idea about the Remlins, sorry. Only used the originals.
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Kaine » 21 Jul 2014, 6:17 am

No worries mate, that's many months away anyway. :lol:
Si vis pacem fac bellum
Kaine
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Old Fart » 23 Jul 2014, 8:30 am

Plenty of time to find an original one then ;)
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles