Mauser 308 identification

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Mauser 308 identification

Post by MeccaOz » 15 Oct 2014, 12:20 pm

1sikxt wrote:Hey guys,

I've bought a Mauser .308, I have no idea what it is :lol:

This is the info I've got... All I know is its a Mauser .308, it was once a .303 they used in war and it got re barrelled to .308 for Swiss army tanks short range shooting. That's all I know.

I picked it up for $200 still waiting for it to arrive.

Love the Look mate, but I do have a big soft spot for the Almighty Mauser
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Jack V » 15 Oct 2014, 3:34 pm

grainweight wrote:It's quieter than a cock on lift bolt you reckon?

How's that work? It's still pulling and locking the same spring back, no?

Well you have to have used both to know . However , when you cock a cock on open bolt you have no control much of the click as it hits the stop at the rear bridge , no matter how slow you go but with a cock on close you don't have that sudden whack against the bridge and can slowly close the bolt as it cocks and as it strips a round at the same time as it cocks it supports the bolt to close quietly . If you have a 98 Mauser with a heavy firing pin spring it is very hard to cycle it quietly .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by grainweight » 16 Oct 2014, 8:52 pm

Makes sense.

I'll have to find someone at the range to ask to cycle a few rounds and have a listen. Thanks.
grainweight
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Jack V » 18 Oct 2014, 1:02 pm

You have to be trying to do it quietly also . Any action can be man handled and made to cycle noisy . The 96 however allows you to cycle it very quietly if you do it gently .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles