Going shopping next weekend

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Going shopping next weekend

Post by Westy » 10 Aug 2014, 9:13 am

Well all I'm taking advantage of the 20% off sale at Q.G.E next weekend and buying a new rifle to shoot 500 fly!

Looking at a Tikka Super Varmiter in 6.5x55 of course and mounting a Sightron SIII 8x32x56 on top of her.

But don't tell my Misses as she might want to give me the money for it :lol: :D :lol:

Not sure whether to get the MOA2 Reticle or just the target dot? Any idea's :?: :?: :?:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Re: GOING SHOPPING NEXT WEEKEND

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Aug 2014, 10:12 am

Sounds nice Westy, I like the 6.5x55 - it really is a great cal. Can't help you with the reticles sorry, never used any of those mil dot type ones before.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Blu333 » 10 Aug 2014, 2:48 pm

Mmmhmmmm going to pick up my 7600! Got the PTA in my hot little hand lol. Come on Friday!
12G Pardus LAX12 Marine 20"
12G Adler A110
12G Winchester 101 O/U
.308 Rem 7600P - Leupold Vx1 3-9x40mm
.308 Rem 700 VSFII - Nightforce 8-32x56mm
.223 Tikka Super Varmint - Leupold VX2 6-18x40mm
.22LR CZ 455 Bushnell 4-12
.22 Winchester Air Rifle
Blu333
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 10 Aug 2014, 4:32 pm

I think you will struggle with the 8-32x56mm at 500m and the only reason I say that is I like seeing my shots on the target. Don't know anything about Sightron Scopes but the 10-50x56mm would be better and the Reticle is up to you personally. My March Scopes have a Reticle similar to the Sightron MOA but don't have the elevation markings above the centre dot. I do like the centre dot being clear of any cross hair markings and the 2 MOA gap to the first elevation & windage markings.

Don't know what the local prices are for the Sightrons but many a 500m Fly has been won with the most popular scope being a Nightforce 12-42x56mm BR which is also heavy and much heavier than my March Scopes.

I'll be shooting 300m & 500m Fly next weekend at Mudgee then two weeks later at Wagga with the 500m Fly being part of the National competition round. Two different rifles being used but both 6.5x47 Lapua. At 300m I'll use either a 5-50x56mm or probably my 10-60x52mm then for 500m it will be the 8-80x56mm. Not everyone has this sort of money to waste.

Sounds like a nice combination but in my view just a little under powered at 500 metres. My Tikka Super Varmint / Benchrest outfit sports the 5-50x56mm as it also doubles as my .243W Varmint Rifle in factory configuration, otherwise it's another 6.5x47 Lapua in a Benchrest Stock.

500m Fly is a lot of fun.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 10 Aug 2014, 7:02 pm

Yep I hear you Apollo I have a Nightforce 15-55x52 on a .22 BR so it's not about the money, just wanting something for a giggle and so I figure that will do for the moment.

Silhouette shooting is my main bag and so this is just a side line from the humdrum.

The bigger Sightron are a BMF and weigh a tonne if it picks up I might switch scopes with the Falcon .22 and get my game face on.

Thanks for the responces to my question By the way I thik a lot about changing to 6.5x47 bout it would be a huge drag to change everything over from x 55, who know might happen yet!

Cheers,
Westy
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 10 Aug 2014, 8:43 pm

Westy, I'm only going on your comment of shooting 500m Fly so I go along with everything you have just said and I have my own problems being physically restricted really to shooting off a bench. Combining Silhouette and anything like that is out of the question for me but in your circumstances then you have to allow and make compromises.

Hope it comes together for you.

I personally don't think you can easily go back in cartridge length to a 47mm case unless it's a new barrel. Not enough meat for a re-chamber.

I'll have to have a few shots with our Range Officers Swede, he also wants one based on a Tikka T3 but at present has a Mauser which he competes with in Silhouette.

All the various 6.5mm chamberings I have looked at are pretty efficient and accurate with the only one out of the box being the 6.5-284 with it's pitifull barrel life.

Look forward to hearing more.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 11 Aug 2014, 6:45 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanx will keep you in the loop Apollo
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Utcherd » 11 Aug 2014, 10:37 am

Westy wrote:Not sure whether to get the MOA2 Reticle or just the target dot? Any idea's :?: :?: :?:

I don't mind a few sensible hold overs but those MOA 2 reticles are just too busy for me.

A simple mil dot is about as many dots as I want in front of me.

Personal preference of course.
Utcherd
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Utcherd » 11 Aug 2014, 10:42 am

How often are you going to use all this really...

moa-2-reticle.jpg
MOA 2 reticle
moa-2-reticle.jpg (10.47 KiB) Viewed 6546 times
Utcherd
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 11 Aug 2014, 10:44 am

Utcherd wrote:A simple mil dot is about as many dots as I want in front of me.

Personal preference of course.

I'm a bit fan of the standard mil-dot reticle.

3 dots each way and a thin crosshair in the middle. Useful hunting and target shooting without going over the top.

+1
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Octane » 11 Aug 2014, 10:49 am

Utcherd wrote:I don't mind a few sensible hold overs but those MOA 2 reticles are just too busy for me.

Agreed too much clutter is not good, but that drawing of the reticle doesn't represent it well.

Those reticles are much thinner on the actual scope and aren't anywhere near as prominent.
Octane
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Going shopping next weekend

Post by Octane » 11 Aug 2014, 10:51 am

Better picture here :)

Nice thin lines and I reckon that dot is the perfect size for targets.

sightron-moa-2-scope.jpg
sightron-moa-2-scope.jpg (31.68 KiB) Viewed 6545 times
Octane
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by wheedle » 11 Aug 2014, 10:53 am

I'm going shopping on the weekend too.

For curtains :cry:
wheedle
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by fenderstrat » 11 Aug 2014, 11:15 am

wheedle wrote:I'm going shopping on the weekend too.

Nice! What calibre?
fenderstrat
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 11 Aug 2014, 8:16 pm

wheedle wrote:I'm going shopping on the weekend too.

Well, I'm going to beat you both, 'cause I'm going shopping on Wednesday and it'll be curtains for a few feral dogs that have been annoying the calves! And caliber is .243Win.

Cheers
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by wheedle » 12 Aug 2014, 9:58 am

fenderstrat wrote:Nice! What calibre?

Um... Beige? :lol:
wheedle
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Fry » 12 Aug 2014, 10:01 am

RoginaJack wrote:Well, I'm going to beat you both, 'cause I'm going shopping on Wednesday and it'll be curtains for a few feral dogs that have been annoying the calves! And caliber is .243Win.

Sure the calves will be happy with giving that.

Better to give than receive :D
Fry
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Harts » 12 Aug 2014, 10:01 am

For a bullet anyway :lol:
Harts
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Westy » 15 Aug 2014, 7:37 am

It's not curtains for me!!!LOL I'm just leaving now will be interesting what I come home with!!!!!
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 16 Aug 2014, 4:16 pm

Westy wrote:It's not curtains for me!!!LOL I'm just leaving now will be interesting what I come home with!!!!!

Well, I came back empty handed - had a 3 or 4 answer but no takers - too wet. So what did you come home with Westy?
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Westy » 16 Aug 2014, 4:58 pm

I dropped 4 Large !!! OOOPs ,I think Dave's still smiling!!!!!! Bought a 6.5 x55 tikka super Varminter with the set trigger , a 8-32 x 56 Sightron MOA2 a set of Warne high rings a .20 rail a100 x lapur brass also a Limb Saver recoil pad ,600 x 123Grn pills ,1000 CCI primers large ,1000 CCI Primers small ,4 bricks of SK rifle match a brick of Winchester 42Grn subs that was yesterday..
Today I eased the nag factor by going back and buying the princess a Tikka T3 lite 1:8 with a set trigger and 100x Lapua Brass and a box of 600x 75Grn A-Max's

I'm Tapped out but on the bright side I won't have to do much shopping for another 12 months :lol: :D :lol:

A good friend the Doctor bought a 260 Win in a Tikka TAC but it won't be in till later this year, looking forward TO SHOOTING All of these Bad Boys
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by aekpani » 16 Aug 2014, 6:53 pm

bought XT-22VR , waiting for PTA
Weapons are beautiful

Marlin XT-22 VR in .22LR, Leupold 3-9x40mm
Rossi Rio Grande (stainless) in .30-30 Win
Tikka Lite in .300 WSM, Nikon prostaff 3-9x40
Mosin Nagant 91/30 in 7.62 x 54r
Hammerli 208 target pistol in .22LR
Steyr LP10 Air .177
aekpani
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by becks » 16 Aug 2014, 7:50 pm

I've got one, the XT-22 is a winner mate :)

Enjoy it.
Howa Ranchland 7mm
Remington 7600 pump-action .243
Martin XT-22
becks
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Rakk » 16 Aug 2014, 7:51 pm

Ditto, mine shoots plenty fine.
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by RoginaJack » 16 Aug 2014, 8:20 pm

Who's been a very busy bee then?

I hoped to get into town today for a spot of shopping too, but just a tad too wet. Will have to leave it for another time.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 16 Aug 2014, 9:54 pm

"Westy" ... Sounds like you had a great shopping day. Looking forward to hearing some reports on how the outfit performs.

123gr bullets sound a bit light for the Swede for long range..ie 500m Fly you mentioned. Try some 140gr Bergers when you get it sorted.

Glad you got the Single Set Trigger, I have mine adjusted down to about 2 ozs for target. The normal setting is around 1.5lb for hunting and I really love it. Tikka T3 Super Varmint Stock for .243W and Gunworx Benchrest F-Class Stock for 6.5x47 Lapua Target use.

Although I used the Benchrest Stock last weekend for some load development with a new, second hand .243W Barrel so it rode nice in the Farley front rest.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by aekpani » 16 Aug 2014, 11:20 pm

becks wrote:I've got one, the XT-22 is a winner mate :)

Enjoy it.

I will definitely :D Thanks
Weapons are beautiful

Steyr LP10 Air .177
aekpani
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Triang » 19 Aug 2014, 9:51 am

Westy wrote:I dropped 4 Large !!! OOOPs ,I think Dave's still smiling!!!!!! Bought a 6.5 x55 tikka super Varminter with the set trigger , a 8-32 x 56 Sightron MOA2 a set of Warne high rings a .20 rail a100 x lapur brass also a Limb Saver recoil pad ,600 x 123Grn pills ,1000 CCI primers large ,1000 CCI Primers small ,4 bricks of SK rifle match a brick of Winchester 42Grn subs that was yesterday..
Today I eased the nag factor by going back and buying the princess a Tikka T3 lite 1:8 with a set trigger and 100x Lapua Brass and a box of 600x 75Grn A-Max's

Hmm, s'pose that will last you until next weekend :D
Howa Axiom .308 --- Nikko Stirling Nighteater 3-10x42
Ruger 77/357
Marlin 25N .22 --- Weaver Kaspa 3-9x40
Triang
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by Westy » 21 Aug 2014, 5:29 pm

P.T.A for the 6.5 arrived today!!!!Awesome like a 5 year old on Sesame Street!!!! :lol: :D :)
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by aekpani » 21 Aug 2014, 6:22 pm

Westy wrote:P.T.A for the 6.5 arrived today!!!!Awesome like a 5 year old on Sesame Street!!!! :lol: :D :)

Congratulations!!

Ahaha :) indeed similar feeling here too..

I called WL to get an update on my PTA, the police officer first told me he havent got my PTA for amendment yet, but after ten mins he called back to inform me that he has found it and he is processing it right away, will be going for print tonight and he also said he will fax it to the dealer!

I am more than amazed with Weapon licensing, they were always helpful to me.. given my poor spoken english they have always patiently listen to me and helped me with my questions :D

Best,
Weapons are beautiful

Steyr LP10 Air .177
aekpani
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland