Montana ASR, my new rifle

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Montana ASR, my new rifle

Post by headspace » 14 Aug 2014, 8:27 pm

After a fair amount of dithering I have made up my mind and decided on a 270 W. The rifle however will be a Montana ASR (American Standard Rifle).

I wanted a Mod 70 but it looks like Winchester have gone to Portugal to assemble them and when I rang Winchester Aust they couldn't tell me any idea of delivery times, and my LGS said he believed it would be at least a year maybe more. Hence the change to the Montana, which is an improved Mod70 action anyway.

JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: New rifle

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Aug 2014, 8:57 pm

Nice one mate, I look forward to seeing some pics and a write up about it.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by mausermate » 14 Aug 2014, 9:48 pm

headspace wrote:After a fair amount of dithering I have made up my mind and decided on a 270 W. The rifle however will be a Montana ASR (American Standard Rifle). I wanted a Mod 70 but it looks like Winchester have gone to Portugal to assemble them and when I rang Winchester Aust they couldn't tell me any idea of delivery times, and my LGS said he believed it would be at least a year maybe more. Hence the change to the Montana, which is an improved Mod70 action anyway.
JD

Have been looking at one myself. Have you had it in your hand yet? I picked one up the other day and unfortunately I wasn't that impressed. Felt like a $1600 Ruger 77. It was a new 99 model but still....having a few doubts. Did you see this article http://www.nbcmontana.com/news/montana-rifleman-to-close-down/26026386 I think that is the barrel side of the business but Montana Rifle have also had their website offline for a number of months now which is odd.
Don't want to put cold water on but.....something odd going on and I assume by your post you are asking for comment. :)
If you are looking for a Mauser action hunting rifle it is worth looking at the South African Musgrave as well. Tasko are the importers of both and have either in stock at the moment. Not easy to find a dealer stocking both to make a comparison. Might be worth giving Tasko a call to see what they can arrange.
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 15 Aug 2014, 12:13 am

I wouldn't discount the man solely based on its place of manufacture; I handled an FN in a Hogue stock ( same basic rifle as win) and it was balanced and we'll finished. That may have been begin but the quality won't necessarily change.....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by headspace » 15 Aug 2014, 4:12 pm

Apparently Montana had some issues with quality when they first began because the receivers were badly cast, but I've done a fair bit of research before committing to it and actually was after a Mod70.

Montana seem to have their act together now and are producing really nice rifles. They actually had some sort of alliance with Kimber, and they used to make barrels for Remington, until Rem bought the barrel plant and shifted it.

Now the Montana is built from the ground up in the USA. Unlike Winchester who have been farming work out all over the globe. The latest being Portugal.

By the way good luck getting a Winchester at the moment. I emailed Winchester Aus and they could not give me any idea when the Mod 70 Sporter would be available.
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bobnob » 17 Aug 2014, 7:14 am

Headspace, that's a really interesting choice and I am keen to hear how the rifle goes and see some photos of it.

Bummer about the M70 but I think what you've chosen might be a better choice.

Great choice of cartridge too. ;)
bobnob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Hatter » 18 Aug 2014, 11:55 am

headspace wrote:The rifle however will be a Montana ASR (American Standard Rifle).

Cool mate. Good to try something new :)

Got it yet? When do you pick it up?

Pics :D
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Montana ASR, my new rifle

Post by chicachicka » 18 Aug 2014, 12:00 pm

headspace wrote:Hence the change to the Montana, which is an improved Mod70 action anyway.

Newb question.

What's an approved action? They're licensed to make them by Winchester or something?
Savage Model 14/114 American Classic Stainless
.308 Win
Nikko Stirling Gameking 4-16x44
chicachicka
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Sender » 18 Aug 2014, 1:33 pm

bobnob wrote:Headspace, that's a really interesting choice and I am keen to hear how the rifle goes and see some photos of it.

Good on you for trying something new.

You can only read so many posts about blokes getting their new Tikka before it's boring as batshit after all :lol:
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Gregg » 18 Aug 2014, 1:36 pm

mausermate wrote:If you are looking for a Mauser action hunting rifle it is worth looking at the South African Musgrave as well. Tasko are the importers of both and have either in stock at the moment.

I thought Tasco were discontinuing their importation of the Musgrave rifles?
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by headspace » 18 Aug 2014, 8:03 pm

I have not heard much at all about the Musgrave although their website says they were mainly target rifles then went into sporters. It's based on a standard 98 action whereas the action on the Montana is inbred with both the Mod 70 and the Mauser. Things like retaining the Mauser bolt release but improving it and better gas porting than both derivative actions.

Chicka that's "improved" action mate, no worries there.

I've talked to few blokes in the US about the Montana and they all agree it's a great rifle and all hand finished, especially the locking lug on the bolt. I guess my only gripe is that the metal finish is not blued but a black matt finish like ceracote or something similar.

It will be a few weeks yet before I get my hands on it but certainly there will be pics. I have a 4-12 Leopold to go on top.

JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by mausermate » 18 Aug 2014, 9:02 pm

Gregg wrote:
mausermate wrote:If you are looking for a Mauser action hunting rifle it is worth looking at the South African Musgrave as well. Tasko are the importers of both and have either in stock at the moment.

I thought Tasco were discontinuing their importation of the Musgrave rifles?

I thought that also, so I rang them and it is not the case. Tasko are continuing to import Musgrave.
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by chicachicka » 19 Aug 2014, 11:52 am

headspace wrote:Chicka that's "improved" action mate, no worries there.

Ooops. My bad, read it wrong :)
Savage Model 14/114 American Classic Stainless
.308 Win
Nikko Stirling Gameking 4-16x44
chicachicka
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Gregg » 19 Aug 2014, 11:53 am

headspace wrote:I guess my only gripe is that the metal finish is not blued but a black matt finish like ceracote or something similar.

Oh well.

Small gripe to put up with if the rest of it lives up to expectations :)
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by MrClark » 23 Aug 2014, 5:40 pm

Definitely buying one of those montanas next, Winchester have dropped the ball not in quality but in availability
I really hope Export isn't actually Exported, mighty embarrassing for WA, hahaha I'll still drink it though
MrClark
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by subatom » 24 Aug 2014, 8:10 pm

Normal result of everything going on in the states I guess.

Can't build the things fast enough over there so bugger all get exported.
Remington VTR .308 Winchester. Marlin 336 .35 Remington. Mossberg 185 20 gauge.
subatom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Jessie » 24 Aug 2014, 8:11 pm

The anti-gun mob over there would do better to just keep their traps shuts.

Every time they mention gun control everyone goes out and doubles their arsenal with anything that's on the list :lol:
Jessie
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by mausermate » 26 Aug 2014, 1:36 pm

From Montana Rifle Co on Facebook.

Ok...funniest thing I have heard in a while, our good friend David Petzal from Field & Stream magazine just emailed me to say that people on their blog are saying we sold to Remington, so that confusion is still out there, and another rumor that our barrels are from Thailand....hahahaha! CRAZY!!!! And another that we were out of business!

Montana Rifle Company is still privately owned by Brian And Jolene Sipe, we are still in Kalispell Montana and have NO intentions of ever moving, we make our own hand lapped barrels in house (video to be provided later) and we are not only still in business but we have never been busier! If any of you, our supporters, see this stuff on other blogs please squash the silly rumors! Thank you and make it a great day![

Brian Sipe who is the owner of Montana Rifle Company was also the owner of Montana Rifleman, which was the barrel manufacturing facility. Montana Rifleman was sold to Remington last year and that is the facility that was moved to Alabama NOT Montana Rifle Company.

So there you go. Good news all round. :D
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 27 Aug 2014, 4:21 pm

That's about the size of it mauser, it amazes me that so many people get one small bit of info and either don't read it properly or fluff out the rest. The Sipes have had a pretty tough run with some negativity coming from various websites in the US. I'm looking forward to giving a family business a go and bugger the big mobs.
JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by schink » 29 Aug 2014, 7:48 pm

headspace wrote:That's about the size of it mauser, it amazes me that so many people get one small bit of info and either don't read it properly or fluff out the rest.

Just read the first sentence and assume the rest :evil:
schink
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by mausermate » 29 Aug 2014, 11:46 pm

headspace wrote:That's about the size of it mauser, it amazes me that so many people get one small bit of info and either don't read it properly or fluff out the rest. The Sipes have had a pretty tough run with some negativity coming from various websites in the US. I'm looking forward to giving a family business a go and bugger the big mobs.
JD

Yes, I totally agree but they haven't helped themselves that much. Their facebook page also has plenty of comments about their website "still" being offline. Business is pretty tuff these days, you can't just assume all is okay if your internet portal is on the blink. It is too big a player in our modern world. The internet is the "information highway" if you aren't on it, the world assumes.........you either never existed or you died and you weren't big enough for anyone to care!

Let us hope the family manufacturing prowess is better than their business promotional ability.
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bobnob » 31 Aug 2014, 8:37 am

The MRC web site is up now.
bobnob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mausermate » 31 Aug 2014, 9:21 am

bobnob wrote:The MRC web site is up now.

Clear, informative, easy to work around the site. It's not bad, I like it! :D
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by feedr » 03 Sep 2014, 3:30 pm

Jessie wrote:The anti-gun mob over there would do better to just keep their traps shuts.

Every time they mention gun control everyone goes out and doubles their arsenal with anything that's on the list :lol:

Must almost be good news for these CEO's when people call a gun rally.

They know they'll have to put up with a day of bitching but sales probably go up 10% :lol:
Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .308 Winchester.
feedr
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles