Huge f*&^ing grin - my new Ruger Scout

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Huge f*&^ing grin - my new Ruger Scout

Post by MeccaOz » 17 Aug 2014, 5:08 pm

So I just went out with a mate to try the new Ruger Scout with open sights .... lets just say conservatively HOLY s**t I LOVE THAT GUN !!!!

Yeah ok the bolts a bit sloppy, but that you could say is a plus.. If you get dirt in it, it;s still gunna run through. and yeah the standard mag takes a bit of getting used too... BUT IM IN LOVE WITH IT ! :D :D :D :D
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Re: Huge F$@KING GRIN

Post by Baldrick314 » 17 Aug 2014, 6:10 pm

MeccaOz wrote:So I just went out with a mate to try the new Ruger Scout with open sights .... lets just say conservatively HOLY s**t I LOVE THAT GUN !!!! yeah ok the bolts a bit sloppy, but that you could say is a plus.. If you get dirt in it, it;s still gunna run through. and yeah the standard mag takes a bit of getting used too... BUT IM IN LOVE WITH IT ! :D :D :D :D

Welcome to the club :lol: Chuck a red dot optic on there and it gets even more fun
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 17 Aug 2014, 6:16 pm

Laffin I was humming and harring about optics Baldrick... But yeah Im convinced a red dot will do me fine.. Still cant wipe that grin off off my face ... And from memory I have a load to try and put through the chrony for Handofcod ???....
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by squirrelhunter » 18 Aug 2014, 8:11 pm

MeccaOz wrote:SIf you get dirt in it, it;s still gunna run through. and yeah the standard mag takes a bit of getting used too...

That's what I like about the Mauser action. It'll load, no matter what.

The mags are pretty ordinary out of the box I'll admit, but after you've fed a bunch of rounds they smooth out a lot.
Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308
Bushnell 3-9x 40mm - Multi-X
squirrelhunter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Huge f*&^ing grin - my new Ruger Scout

Post by handofcod » 18 Aug 2014, 8:31 pm

Love my scout! It's been thrashed through scrub and always cleans up afterwards.
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Manimal » 19 Aug 2014, 1:47 pm

squirrelhunter wrote:The mags are pretty ordinary out of the box I'll admit, but after you've fed a bunch of rounds they smooth out a lot.

Very standard feedback on the magazines there.

Like you said though, load and cycle 150-200 rounds through them and they stop sticking.
Manimal
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by horter » 19 Aug 2014, 1:48 pm

And there are aftermarket mags of course if you don't mind buying one, or get the s**ts with the factory one :lol:
Ruger Hawkeye All Weather in .30-06
Sako L61R 7mm Rem Mag
Sako L461 Vixen .222 Rem
Savage 42 combination 22 WMR/410 bore
horter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Boatman » 19 Aug 2014, 1:52 pm

MeccaOz wrote:Yeah ok the bolts a bit sloppy, but that you could say is a plus.. If you get dirt in it, it;s still gunna run through.

Part of the appeal really for those who like that kind of action.
Boatman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by petemacsydney » 19 Aug 2014, 3:22 pm

pics or it doesn't exist ;-)
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 19 Aug 2014, 6:50 pm

Well after cycling the bolt a bit, you sorta pick up the nack for it, and it's easy as without getting any lockups, the mags, well you are all right, they do smooth out and you get the nack of it, again it's too easy.

Some people say the mag isnt reliable and can fall out, or it's too sloppy I call bulls**t. Already I'll say it's my go to gun, it's just a tough reliable little carbine, that will do the job on anything on this continent.

Also unlike a previous Ruger I've had in the past, this one you can load singles in the action all day long, and push the bolt in with very little effort, which is great since you get Rugers take on CRF when it's mag fed. Accuracy wise it's great, my first shot with it was at around 200 yards and it hit easy, it might not be an F class gun but I dont need one either. Still grining guy's, next buy is a scope and some extra mags.

And yup once I get the digital camera back i'll post up some pics.. so then it magically exists lol
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by chacho » 20 Aug 2014, 9:19 am

petemacsydney wrote:pics or it doesn't exist ;-)

Pretty sure the Scout does exist, I've even seen one!

:lol:
chacho
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 20 Aug 2014, 9:27 am

MeccaOz wrote:Well after cycling the bolt a bit, you sorta pick up the nack for it, and it's easy as without getting any lockups, the mags, well you are all right, they do smooth out and you get the nack of it, again it's too easy.

I found with Rugers (had 2 Hawkeyes, regularly use a Scout) a small amount of downward pressure on the bolt is required for smooth cycling.

If you grip the bolt and push it 'straight' forward you inevitably lift the rear of it and it sticks in the action. If you just place your open palm on the top and push your hand forward with just the downward pressure required for the bolt to stay under your hand it slides forward perfectly. Rolling your hand from under to over with the flat palm made for very fast cycling and returning your trigger hand to the stock.

Probably telling you what you already know here, but also FYI for anyone looking at a Ruger.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by MeccaOz » 20 Aug 2014, 6:56 pm

That's exactly what I found mate.

It's all about learning to use what you have a lot of the time I think.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by RDobber » 21 Aug 2014, 10:40 am

Lorgar,

You know you love the smooth Tikka action now you've got one :P
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal