Always an exciting day when you order a new toy!

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Always an exciting day when you order a new toy!

Post by AussieTimmeh » 23 Aug 2014, 11:18 am

It's always exciting when you order a new toy so I wanted to share my excitement here.

My brother and I just enjoy various types of firearms and an opportunity came up to get into something completely different to what we already own.

My local gunsmith Ralf Dauner has started to manufacture his own single shot rifles, which I had an opportunity to check out recently when I dropped off my Savage .308 BAT/S for a repair. His rifles are beautifully hand made and his wife does all the timber engraving, and are very well priced. We were super impressed with the quality of workmanship. Talking to the Ralf and his wife about what we wanted was just great. They took the time to listen to our thoughts and showed us through several design and finish options.

So we've ordered an African hunting single shot rifle in 500 nitro express. :mrgreen: The 500 nitro express round was designed for large game hunting in Africa, such as Cape Buffalo, Elephants, and Rhinos. So we chose timber engraving styles and finishes that best replicate an African large game hunting rifle (although don't worry, if we find any elephants or rhinos on our property we won't shoot them).

Here is a comparison of the ammo for our current rifles and new addition. .22LR, .308 Winchester, 500 Nitro Express. And a one dollar coin for reference. The Nitro Express round is 570gr, compared to 150gr for our .308 and 55gr for our friends .223.

This is not the rifle we are buying (as it is being custom built) but it's roughly what it will look like:

I'll post pictures when it turns up! I am guessing they won't let me onto any SSAA ranges with this one though. :lol:

Peace.
Savage Model 10 BAT/S .308, Savage Mk II .22LR, RBD Omni-Break 500 Nitro Express
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Always an exciting day when you order a new toy!

Post by Baldrick314 » 23 Aug 2014, 12:14 pm

Better start saving money for ammo and flights to Africa, gotta put it through it's paces
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 23 Aug 2014, 12:24 pm

AWESOME !!!!!
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Norty_Country_Bloke » 23 Aug 2014, 3:35 pm

Ken beauty! Sounds like a ripper.
.22LR, .222 Remington, .12g. But it's not the same when they don't live in your safe :P
Norty_Country_Bloke
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Mr.x » 23 Aug 2014, 4:24 pm

What do you plan on using it for ? Looking forwards to pics.

Cheers
Mr.x
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by AussieTimmeh » 23 Aug 2014, 5:27 pm

Cheers guys!

Baldrick314 wrote:Better start saving money for ammo and flights to Africa, gotta put it through it's paces

Haha, I grew up in Africa but no plans to go back at the moment. The ammo for this will leave me poor anyway, it's $200 for 20 rounds from the store.

Mr.x wrote:What do you plan on using it for ? Looking forwards to pics.

Cheers

It's just for the fun of shooting a large caliber that I wouldn't normally get to. The caliber is really only designed for shooting 100m or so. I admit it has no real purpose other than entertainment and seeing what this sound round can do to targets, but I'll have a big smile on my dial when shooting it. :D
Savage Model 10 BAT/S .308, Savage Mk II .22LR, RBD Omni-Break 500 Nitro Express
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 23 Aug 2014, 5:53 pm

Do you reload Tim? Might have to start if you wanna shoot more than a couple rounds a year :lol:
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Patrol66 » 23 Aug 2014, 6:19 pm

Sweet ;)
Rem 700- 223, Marlin xt 22, Rem 700 - 30-06 ( not mine , but in my safe )
Patrol66
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 23 Aug 2014, 6:39 pm

Big bore single shot rifles are "da biz" and more than just a bit addictive! It's gunna be a lot of fun (except for the cost of feeding your new baby). :-) Just out interest have you costed out ammo?
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by AussieTimmeh » 23 Aug 2014, 6:44 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:Do you reload Tim? Might have to start if you wanna shoot more than a couple rounds a year :lol:

Haha yeah we are starting to get into it. Lol.

Noisydad wrote:Big bore single shot rifles are "da biz" and more than just a bit addictive! It's gunna be a lot of fun (except for the cost of feeding your new baby). :-) Just out interest have you costed out ammo?

Awesome, thanks for the enthusiasm!

Yeah $200 for 20 rounds from the store, but a place in Melbourne does reloading supplies that should halve the cost. Still... it'll be a bit expensive. Hehe. The gun builder is helping me out get it all sorted which I appreciate.
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 23 Aug 2014, 7:58 pm

I have no idea of expected muzzle velocity but I wonder if casting your own bullets might an option. There are limits to the speed you push cast lead to without leaving lead in the barrel.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by AussieTimmeh » 23 Aug 2014, 8:08 pm

Noisydad wrote:I have no idea of expected muzzle velocity but I wonder if casting your own bullets might an option. There are limits to the speed you push cast lead to without leaving lead in the barrel.

My gunsmith did mention casting my own bullets actually, so I am guessing it's an option.
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 23 Aug 2014, 8:16 pm

Casting your own and working out lubes adds a heap of fun to the game but its a whole black art by itself.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by joojoobeans » 25 Aug 2014, 1:42 pm

Noisydad wrote:There are limits to the speed you push cast lead to without leaving lead in the barrel.

That must be happening anyway mustn't it? The same as copper fouling with jacketing bullets?

I know you're supposed to load cast bullets for slower velocities, but what does a little lead in the barrel matter?

Is it just the hassle of cleaning it out or does it build up to create safety issues? Jammed bullets?
joojoobeans
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by jordy » 25 Aug 2014, 1:42 pm

Daaaaamn! That's a big cartridge!
jordy
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by riggee » 25 Aug 2014, 1:43 pm

What did you expect with a name like ".500 Nitro" :lol:
Remington 700 Milspec 5R .300 Win Mag
Mossberg 640 KD .22 WMR
riggee
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Lyam » 25 Aug 2014, 1:44 pm

AussieTimmeh wrote:So we've ordered an African hunting single shot rifle in 500 nitro express.

And where will you be shooting this? :D

Looks awesome BTW.
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by AussieTimmeh » 25 Aug 2014, 1:53 pm

joojoobeans wrote:
Noisydad wrote:There are limits to the speed you push cast lead to without leaving lead in the barrel.

That must be happening anyway mustn't it? The same as copper fouling with jacketing bullets?

I know you're supposed to load cast bullets for slower velocities, but what does a little lead in the barrel matter?

Is it just the hassle of cleaning it out or does it build up to create safety issues? Jammed bullets?

According to wiki, the muzzle velocity is 2,150 ft/s (660 m/s) but I have absolutely zero knowledge or experience with casting rounds or velocity limits, so it's very interesting conversation for me to learn on also.

jordy wrote:Daaaaamn! That's a big cartridge!

Yeah, the only reason I really bought it was to try a large caliber - my eyes widened when I saw the round. And recoil, I bought it for recoil.

Lyam wrote:
AussieTimmeh wrote:So we've ordered an African hunting single shot rifle in 500 nitro express.

And where will you be shooting this? :D

Looks awesome BTW.

Well certainly not at my local SSAA range lol. Private property with permission to shoot, just in case we get attacked by a horde of rampaging zombie Cape Buffalo.
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SendIt » 25 Aug 2014, 7:40 pm

AussieTimmeh wrote:Private property with permission to shoot, just in case we get attacked by a horde of rampaging zombie Cape Buffalo.

Purchase totally justified IMO.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GPostal » 25 Aug 2014, 8:38 pm

Hhahahahaa that's mad Timmeh - you certainly wont get into Seaham with that canon.

Ralf is my smithie too and his single shots are very nice - im trying to decide on a more realistic calibre.

Cant wait to see the finished product.
Some .22's--Lots of 303 Lithgows--Tactical Mosin--7mm and an 8mm--Underover--Farmers Shottie--Angel and Omark
GPostal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Sender » 26 Aug 2014, 12:02 pm

GPostal wrote:Hhahahahaa that's mad Timmeh - you certainly wont get into Seaham with that canon.

Maybe.

After the first shot...

"Oh I'm sorry, did I say this was a .30-06? My bad, it's .500 nitro"

:D
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles