Can one rifle take all 3? Do I need all three?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Can one rifle take all 3? Do I need all three?

Post by jennageit » 26 Aug 2014, 7:10 pm

Hi Guys

Yep, I'm back, with more questions!

Before I forget though, I'm going back to the range tomorrow night for some more shooting. This will be shoot number 2, and I think I'm more excited about it than I was the last time. I blame you guys for that, it's 100% your fault, I refuse to take any blame. Oh, and another thing.......... Thanks! I LOVE shooting now :lol:

Okay, now for the not-so-stupid questions (given the stupid ones are the unasked ones!).

Is there a rifle out there, within my price range of $500 that will fire a mag round, a standard .22 round, plus rat shot?

Also, is there a need for the mag round? On this place, I'm not going to be able to shoot past 60 metres. Over 60 and they aren't on my property any more. However, if we move (hopefully in the very near future, we're headed for 100 acres, so I may just be set!).

Any advice would be great.

I'm looking at:
Ruger American Rifle 22LR $450, or
Marlin XT 22MAG LAM WOOD SPORTER $395, or
Zastava CZ99 .22 MAG BUNNY BUSTER PACKAGE $$595 (over budget),
Savage MK-II FV. 22LR $495

All prices are from Clayton Firearms website. Everyone keeps trying to talk me into buying a secondhand one, but first time around, I want new.

Thanks in advance guys.

Jenna

PS. I'll be off the painkillers soon, and relying of physio and exercise to get my back sorted out!
Back from a break, and ready to shoot again :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Can one rifle take all 3? Do I need all three?

Post by 1290 » 26 Aug 2014, 7:55 pm

No.
Just be happy with the awesome 22 Long Rifle.... if you want more then go the 222 or 223.
The 22LR uses a 0.225 proj while the mag a 224.
the LR has a 15.57mm case while the mag a 26.8mm
the LR a 25.4mm oa length (1inch) while the mag a34.29mm.
The LR case goes from diameter 5.74 to 5.72mm - the mag 6.15mm.
The LR barrel spec is 0.2197/0.2118 the mag is 0.224/0.2189

Summary: the 0.22 short / Long / long rifle / extra long / extra long rifle / long shot / long rifle shot clay
Yep that many....

Are not compatible with the 22 Win Mag. R.F......
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by scrolllock » 26 Aug 2014, 8:00 pm

Don't know if this matters to you but FYI you can't shoot 22mag and many of the ranges.

Need to go out to Little River to the longer range.

22LR you can shoot everywhere though.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 26 Aug 2014, 8:04 pm

Sent you a PM Jenna.

Check your messages.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 26 Aug 2014, 8:10 pm

In my opinion the .22lr will do everything that you will ask of it and at a much cheaper ammo cost than a .22mag . I'd just stick with the .22lr and if you want to shoot further ranges then get a .223 , .222 or .204 :D
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 26 Aug 2014, 8:29 pm

what nukebomb said^^^^^^^, if you are going to move to a larger property just get another rifle,,you know you want to,,or you will ;)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Mr.x » 26 Aug 2014, 8:32 pm

Why do you want a mag ? if you move to another property later and want something a lil more powerfull why not a 17hmr
Mr.x
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Baronvonrort » 27 Aug 2014, 11:04 am

jennageit wrote:Hi Guys

Yep, I'm back, with more questions!

Before I forget though, I'm going back to the range tomorrow night for some more shooting. This will be shoot number 2, and I think I'm more excited about it than I was the last time. I blame you guys for that, it's 100% your fault, I refuse to take any blame. Oh, and another thing.......... Thanks! I LOVE shooting now :lol:

Okay, now for the not-so-stupid questions (given the stupid ones are the unasked ones!).

Is there a rifle out there, within my price range of $500 that will fire a mag round, a standard .22 round, plus rat shot?

Also, is there a need for the mag round? On this place, I'm not going to be able to shoot past 60 metres.

Any advice would be great.

I'm looking at:

Jenna

Thanks for blaming us for you shooting addiction...lol

Just get a 22lr for your first gun, if you want to dream check out the Anshutz 1416 hb 22lr with a thumbhole stock at Claytons, it will be out of your price range.

If you need something with more power get a .223 or .243, anything bigger might cause problems for your back,i doubt you will need a bigger gun until you move to a bigger property.

Enjoy your next shoot.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by jennageit » 27 Aug 2014, 11:47 am

Thanks guys.
A. 22lr will do me I think. Can I still shoot rat shot out of it?
I'll be dropping in to Clayton firearms due to being less than a kilometre from them next week, and I'd like to know what I'm looking at when I get there. It also may be the only time I am up that way for a long time. Seems a waste to not drop in.
There's probably little chance of me buying from them, but it's an opportunity to actually get my hands on some rifles to see what I like.
Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 27 Aug 2014, 12:16 pm

Why do you want to shoot rat shot?
Subsonics with the 22lr will be adequate for smaller stuff.

Pick up all the gun options you mentioned at Claytons,check out how heavy they are and comfort levels when holding against shoulder, some might feel better than others which might influence decision.

Magazine size could be something to consider with choice, see if they have 10 round magazines for the gun of your choice.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 27 Aug 2014, 12:19 pm

jennageit wrote:
I'm looking at:
Marlin XT 22MAG LAM WOOD SPORTER $395, or
Zastava CZ99 .22 MAG BUNNY BUSTER PACKAGE $$595 (over budget),

All prices are from Clayton Firearms website. Everyone keeps trying to talk me into buying a secondhand one, but first time around, I want new.

Thanks in advance guys.

Jenna

PS. I'll be off the painkillers soon, and relying of physio and exercise to get my back sorted out!

Honestly, if you have anysort of back/shoulder/arm/neck issue I would steer clear of the MK2 FV(Varmint) .22, indeed any varmint barrel is overkill at times.

I have both the Savage MK2 FV and the MK2F the varmint(FV) is about 1/2 a kilo heavier and the weight is all out front at the end of the rifle which makes no difference off a rest but freehand or just handling the rifle in general has a multiplying effect of your back, neck and shoulders. I may be 6'2" and 132 kilos but I do appreciate a light rifle at times, I have been injured in the past and know what I am talking about.

I do a lot of walk around possuming, rabbiting and wallaby control and it is the standard barrel that gets the nod for the furry critters(a bit of an american saying but I use it often), the FV is purely kept for benchrest at the range, in all honesty the standard barrel gives very little away to the varmint.

I use about 100 rounds of winchester ratshot a year out of my standard Savage so it has had about 400 rounds through it alongside standard ammo and there is no noticeable loss of accuracy.

I love the savages(in synthetic for the lighter weight) I personally don't like the ruger or the Zastava and can't comment on the Marlin as I have never had one.

Nothing wrong with new, if there are any issues in the first 12 months(unlikely) just take it back and dump it on their counter and say "fix it please".

It is out of your price range but a CZ Scout would be ideal.

Goodluck but keep going to the range for a while before you make a choice, but everyone always seems to have a place for a .22LR in their safe throughout their life, the same doesn't universally apply for other calibres.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by jennageit » 27 Aug 2014, 2:11 pm

Thanks for all of the advice Warrigul.

I'm definitely going to have to consider the weight and how it feels. With my back issues being lower, just about anything upsets it at the moment. At the range, it'll be bench, but at home, i'll either be walking, or standing and waiting. Holding any firearm up for any longer than necessary is going to hurt, no matter what I do. Even sitting down is still going to put pressure on the base of my spine.

As I am no-longer going to buy an air rifle (I didn't know about ratshot - that's how much of a newbie I am lol), I'm happy to spend a little more on my first rifle. The guys at Clayton have told me that I can come and handle a few to see how I like them. After a two hour drive to Melbourne, my back is likely to be almost at it's absolute worst, so if I find a rifle is going to be excruciating for me to hold after that sort of ordeal, it's going to have to be ticked off the list as a no go.

I'm hoping to put quite a lot of time in at the range, the guys seem nice enough but I have to balance it. Membership is $250 per year, but I get unlimited range use, and in all likelihood, i'll be going there at least three times a week, so I'll get my money's worth out of it. I've sent off my licence application, and my son has offered to loan me the money for that, when the paperwork comes back, and I can pay him back over time. Still, i don't want to spend loads at once in a short period of time.

I did have almost $500 saved up, but that's just about gone now, so I'm waiting for some paymets to come in.

I'm also going to take the advice of some of the guys that have responded to my first post. If the time comes for me to get more distance, I'll just have to "bite the bullet" so to speak, and buy a second rifle. Damn shame! lmao

Oh, and I am right in blaming you guys for my addiction, and don't even dream of staging an intervention!
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by 1sikxt » 27 Aug 2014, 2:19 pm

U can get the zastava without the package for 399 they are a good little rifle I had one in 17hmr and was very
Happy with it
Howa 204 varmint
Anschütz 1530 222
Savage 12 223
Weatherby 22-250
Savage custom 10 243
Savage 10 308
Savage 12 308
Savage 110 338 lap fcp
Lithgow 22
Brno 1 22
Webley and scott 12g
1sikxt
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Monty » 27 Aug 2014, 4:02 pm

jennageit wrote:Oh, and I am right in blaming you guys for my addiction, and don't even dream of staging an intervention!

We aim to please.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 27 Aug 2014, 6:19 pm

jennageit wrote:Thanks for all of the advice Warrigul.

I'm definitely going to have to consider the weight and how it feels. With my back issues being lower, just about anything upsets it at the moment.

I'm also going to take the advice of some of the guys that have responded to my first post. If the time comes for me to get more distance, I'll just have to "bite the bullet" so to speak, and buy a second rifle. Damn shame! lmao

Oh, and I am right in blaming you guys for my addiction, and don't even dream of staging an intervention!

A gun is a tool, would you trust a mechanic who only had 1 shifting spanner, at least with guns big+medium+small covers just about anything, more than that is a luxury.

You are not an addict until you start reloading.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by jennageit » 27 Aug 2014, 6:49 pm

Hi Baronvonrort,

I'm going through all of my previous posts and responses, and piecing together the information. Along with the advice the everyone seems to want to give me at the rifle club, it can all be a bit confusing.

You're right though, I wouldn't trust a mechanic with just one shifting spanner.

On Wednesday next week, I'll be in Clayton so will get the chance to handle some of the rifles I've been looking at online. At this stage, I've narrowed it down to just two out of about eight, but it all depends on the day. Who knows, I mightn't like what I thought I would.

Anyway guys, I'm getting organised to go and shoot again this evening, and will update you if you are interested.

Also, I've pretty much dumped the tablets, and I'm now relying on physio and exercise to fix my back, seeing as how the doctors just want to keep loading me up with painkillers until it gets bad enough to operate.

In the meantime, I find myself watching the foxes trotting across the property and wondering if I could get it at that range lol

Oh, as far as my addiction, I wouldn't know the first thing about reloading, so when I get to that stage, I'll know I'm set! I just wonder if hubby could keep up lol

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusC » 29 Aug 2014, 8:49 pm

Assuming you end up with the 22LR (which it sounds like you're heading too still?) you wouldn't do it for the 22.

Ammo is cheap and in plentiful supply.

If/when you get your centrefire rifle, that's when reloading is an option.

Plenty of time to enjoy your rimfire before then.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Granting » 29 Aug 2014, 8:49 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:You are not an addict until you start reloading.

Good times.

God damn frustrating at times, but good :lol:
Tikka T3 Camo Stainless 30-06 w/ Zeiss Duralyt 3–12x50
Sako A11 22-250
Remington M514 22LR
Granting
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 31 Aug 2014, 2:57 pm

jennageit wrote:
In the meantime, I find myself watching the foxes trotting across the property and wondering if I could get it at that range lol

Oh, as far as my addiction, I wouldn't know the first thing about reloading, so when I get to that stage, I'll know I'm set! I just wonder if hubby could keep up lol

Jenna

Use the ruler in google earth to measure the range where foxes are,are you sighting in for 50m,lol.

You don't need to reload for the 22lr, you can buy a brick (500 rounds) for between $50-150 depending on brand,when you get a centrefire you will probably start reloading.

If i could only have 2 rifles it would be a 22lr and a .243 winchester,you could light load 58g projectiles and still hit harder than a 223 and it can send 8 0-90 g projectiles down for pigs/goats/small deer, if i could only have 3 it would be 22r,223,308
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by veep » 01 Sep 2014, 12:10 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:If i could only have 2 rifles it would be a 22lr and a .243 winchester,you could light load 58g projectiles and still hit harder than a 223 and it can send 8 0-90 g projectiles down for pigs/goats/small deer, if i could only have 3 it would be 22r,223,308

2 rifles (22lr + .243) would rule you out for large deer here in VIC is the only problem with that.

Dunno what it is in NSW, but Sambar Red and Rusa are .270 plus. Would have to be 22lr and a 270/7mm/308 or something here for Jenna if she wants the lot.

Perfect 3 combo though - 22r, 223, 308 - One rifle perfect for every job here ;)
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 01 Sep 2014, 12:44 pm

I'm going to stick to foxes, rabbits and rats guys. Oh, and those devilish paper targets.

Anything bigger and I'll leave it to everyone else.

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 01 Sep 2014, 4:57 pm

veep wrote:
Baronvonrort wrote:If i could only have 2 rifles it would be a 22lr and a .243 winchester,you could light load 58g projectiles and still hit harder than a 223 and it can send 8 0-90 g projectiles down for pigs/goats/small deer, if i could only have 3 it would be 22r,223,308

2 rifles (22lr + .243) would rule you out for large deer here in VIC is the only problem with that.

Dunno what it is in NSW, but Sambar Red and Rusa are .270 plus. Would have to be 22lr and a 270/7mm/308 or something here for Jenna if she wants the lot.

Perfect 3 combo though - 22r, 223, 308 - One rifle perfect for every job here ;)

Those 3 are fairly cheap to run,benchmark 8208 works well in 223,308 for reloading.

This link says a 243 is ok for hog and fallow deer with 100 grain projectile, it also says a 222,223 with 70 grain may be adequate in skilled hand for smaller animals.
http://www.feral.org.au/wp-content/uplo ... g-deer.pdf
It also says 308 and 150g for Sambar.

I reckon 7 is a good number for hunting tools.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Supporter » 02 Sep 2014, 2:45 pm

jennageit wrote:I'm going to stick to foxes, rabbits and rats guys. Oh, and those devilish paper targets.

22lr perfect for all those.
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bunnybuster » 06 Sep 2014, 12:35 pm

Yes you can put ratshot through any 22 lr rifle/pistol,it is only lead and will not damage the barrel as some "experts" claim,though

it will possibly leave a bit of pooh to clean out,shot 100's of rats,feral doves as a kid with my old Lithgow single shot,

Be Safe, BB
bunnybuster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by wrenchman » 07 Sep 2014, 2:26 am

I only hunted small game for years to about 19 then a freand i hunted smal game with invited me to hunt deer i didnt get a deer but i loved the camp great guys and fun.
in a few years when some one finds out you like to hunt and shoot you will get a invite and have a grea time and it tends to start with small game.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Kelix » 07 Sep 2014, 11:40 am

bunnybuster wrote:it is only lead and will not damage the barrel as some "experts" claim

But I read it the internet! That makes me an expert now!

:lol:
Kelix
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles