Can one rifle take all 3? Do I need all three?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Can one rifle take all 3? Do I need all three?

Post by Baronvonrort » 31 Aug 2014, 2:57 pm

jennageit wrote:
In the meantime, I find myself watching the foxes trotting across the property and wondering if I could get it at that range lol

Oh, as far as my addiction, I wouldn't know the first thing about reloading, so when I get to that stage, I'll know I'm set! I just wonder if hubby could keep up lol

Jenna

Use the ruler in google earth to measure the range where foxes are,are you sighting in for 50m,lol.

You don't need to reload for the 22lr, you can buy a brick (500 rounds) for between $50-150 depending on brand,when you get a centrefire you will probably start reloading.

If i could only have 2 rifles it would be a 22lr and a .243 winchester,you could light load 58g projectiles and still hit harder than a 223 and it can send 8 0-90 g projectiles down for pigs/goats/small deer, if i could only have 3 it would be 22r,223,308
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by veep » 01 Sep 2014, 12:10 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:If i could only have 2 rifles it would be a 22lr and a .243 winchester,you could light load 58g projectiles and still hit harder than a 223 and it can send 8 0-90 g projectiles down for pigs/goats/small deer, if i could only have 3 it would be 22r,223,308

2 rifles (22lr + .243) would rule you out for large deer here in VIC is the only problem with that.

Dunno what it is in NSW, but Sambar Red and Rusa are .270 plus. Would have to be 22lr and a 270/7mm/308 or something here for Jenna if she wants the lot.

Perfect 3 combo though - 22r, 223, 308 - One rifle perfect for every job here ;)
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 01 Sep 2014, 12:44 pm

I'm going to stick to foxes, rabbits and rats guys. Oh, and those devilish paper targets.

Anything bigger and I'll leave it to everyone else.

Jenna
Back from a break, and ready to shoot again :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 01 Sep 2014, 4:57 pm

veep wrote:
Baronvonrort wrote:If i could only have 2 rifles it would be a 22lr and a .243 winchester,you could light load 58g projectiles and still hit harder than a 223 and it can send 8 0-90 g projectiles down for pigs/goats/small deer, if i could only have 3 it would be 22r,223,308

2 rifles (22lr + .243) would rule you out for large deer here in VIC is the only problem with that.

Dunno what it is in NSW, but Sambar Red and Rusa are .270 plus. Would have to be 22lr and a 270/7mm/308 or something here for Jenna if she wants the lot.

Perfect 3 combo though - 22r, 223, 308 - One rifle perfect for every job here ;)

Those 3 are fairly cheap to run,benchmark 8208 works well in 223,308 for reloading.

This link says a 243 is ok for hog and fallow deer with 100 grain projectile, it also says a 222,223 with 70 grain may be adequate in skilled hand for smaller animals.
http://www.feral.org.au/wp-content/uplo ... g-deer.pdf
It also says 308 and 150g for Sambar.

I reckon 7 is a good number for hunting tools.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Supporter » 02 Sep 2014, 2:45 pm

jennageit wrote:I'm going to stick to foxes, rabbits and rats guys. Oh, and those devilish paper targets.

22lr perfect for all those.
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bunnybuster » 06 Sep 2014, 12:35 pm

Yes you can put ratshot through any 22 lr rifle/pistol,it is only lead and will not damage the barrel as some "experts" claim,though

it will possibly leave a bit of pooh to clean out,shot 100's of rats,feral doves as a kid with my old Lithgow single shot,

Be Safe, BB
bunnybuster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by wrenchman » 07 Sep 2014, 2:26 am

I only hunted small game for years to about 19 then a freand i hunted smal game with invited me to hunt deer i didnt get a deer but i loved the camp great guys and fun.
in a few years when some one finds out you like to hunt and shoot you will get a invite and have a grea time and it tends to start with small game.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Kelix » 07 Sep 2014, 11:40 am

bunnybuster wrote:it is only lead and will not damage the barrel as some "experts" claim

But I read it the internet! That makes me an expert now!

:lol:
Kelix
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles