Still no sign of Tikka CTR

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Still no sign of Tikka CTR

Post by zook60 » 31 Aug 2014, 9:56 am

I have seen one and handled one but I don't think they will hit our shops till end of the year. It makes it hard when some dealers go telling people they are a matter of weeks away and some say end of the year.

I think I sill end up with one in 260 by the time they get here.
zook60
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 31 Aug 2014, 7:50 pm

I took the easy way out and got a super varmint in 6.5x55 I decided it was a sweet rifle but I can get one latter if I so choose !!!!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Shotfox » 01 Sep 2014, 6:50 am

This happened last time with the release of the fluted T3. Baretta (the importer) started to advertise this gun and take orders but they were two years away and thats the part they didnt tell you. I was one of those caught and as much as I want this new gun I now will wait patiently. The dealers get just as frustrated as we do.
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RDobber » 02 Sep 2014, 7:22 pm

If you're desperate for something... Honestly I'd buy something else.

God knows how long you'll be waiting. But that's how these things go here, you're just s**t out of luck.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Tiiger » 02 Sep 2014, 7:24 pm

FYI the Tikka Varmint has the same length barrel in most of the short and medium action calibres.

You could always get one and thread the barrel.

Same rifle after that really...
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Shotfox » 03 Sep 2014, 7:03 am

oldnews wrote:
zook60 wrote:It makes it hard when some dealers go telling people they are a matter of weeks away and some say end of the year.

They've been "weeks away" for about 6 months now at mine :evil:

The other problem you may get is the value of the Aussie dollar when it arrives so be careful the dealer does'nt stick it to you. Ring Baretta in Melbourne direct and keep hounding them for delivery dates as this is what I did and some "favorite" / preferred dealers get the guns before others so I had to cancel the order with one dealer and go to another before the gun arrived.Lucky I did as the aussie dollar went throught the roof and I saved $400.00 on the purchase price in the end. The dealers will string you along so they dont loose the order but Baretta will tell you if your gun is even ordered for the dealer you are going through and dont be surprised if it hasnt been. Baretta will tell you who has ordered and the numbers comming in.
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 03 Sep 2014, 2:56 pm

oldnews wrote:Small gripe here, but no steel magazine on the Varmint :(

ive got the t3 varmint and i felt the same about plastic to start with, but i'm more than happy with it now. it would take a hell of a lot to damage it. ive read where people have driven over them without any breakages.. fwiw
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 04 Sep 2014, 9:59 am

Most people are put off by the plastic mag. I was initially when I got my Hunter, but living with it now it's totally fine.

Always happy to save the weight too.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by petemacsydney » 04 Sep 2014, 11:20 am

oldnews wrote:
petemacsydney wrote:ive got the t3 varmint and i felt the same about plastic to start with, but i'm more than happy with it now. it would take a hell of a lot to damage it. ive read where people have driven over them without any breakages.. fwiw

I know it's a small complaint.

Just the idea really I suppose, I'm sure they work fine ;)

the only complaint i have heard is length of the mag for long bullet seating. i reload at 2.810 COL for my 308 and it fits and cycles very well in the mag. i'm not sure but it looks like the CTR may be a longer mag?

one interesting thing i saw was the CTR has a teflon bolt. i thought that was very strange. not sure what exactly is teflon coated, by i would not have thought that teflon would be very 'long life'
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by RDobber » 04 Sep 2014, 4:17 pm

Yep that's the usual complaint from T3 shooters.

Mag is too short :(

And single feeding all day sucks :lol:
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by zook60 » 04 Sep 2014, 6:52 pm

petemacsydney wrote:
oldnews wrote:
petemacsydney wrote:ive got the t3 varmint and i felt the same about plastic to start with, but i'm more than happy with it now. it would take a hell of a lot to damage it. ive read where people have driven over them without any breakages.. fwiw

I know it's a small complaint.

Just the idea really I suppose, I'm sure they work fine ;)

the only complaint i have heard is length of the mag for long bullet seating. i reload at 2.810 COL for my 308 and it fits and cycles very well in the mag. i'm not sure but it looks like the CTR may be a longer mag?

one interesting thing i saw was the CTR has a teflon bolt. i thought that was very strange. not sure what exactly is teflon coated, by i would not have thought that teflon would be very 'long life'

Im 99% that your reloads will fit the CTR as its a standard TRG magazine I had the length somewhere but I can't find it.
The teflon bolt comes in the TAC model too Im not sure on how long it will last either. The CTR also has an Imperial thread rather than a metric that comes on all other Tikka/Sako rifles.

Also Tony Saros (Beretta) was saying that he has just received word that they will be here at the end of this month to mid next.
zook60
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 04 Sep 2014, 7:06 pm

so its the actual shaft of the bolt that is teflon coated?
that's weird!
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by zook60 » 04 Sep 2014, 8:31 pm

petemacsydney wrote:so its the actual shaft of the bolt that is teflon coated?
that's weird!

Yes it is Im thinking they wanted it to be all black but buy just painting it may have made it not as smooth as the nomad
t3? Im only thinking out loud.
zook60
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 04 Sep 2014, 9:15 pm

hhmm weird choice by the manufacturer!
only time will tell i guess...
mind u, tikka/sako do know their ******!
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Skadoo » 05 Sep 2014, 11:22 am

zook60 wrote:The CTR also has an Imperial thread rather than a metric that comes on all other Tikka/Sako rifles.

:? I hate that.

Do eeeeverything the same, except one.

Why?!
Skadoo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by zook60 » 16 Sep 2014, 6:14 pm

Skadoo wrote:
zook60 wrote:The CTR also has an Imperial thread rather than a metric that comes on all other Tikka/Sako rifles.

:? I hate that.

Do eeeeverything the same, except one.

Why?!

Because the rifle is aimed at the American tactical shooter it gives them access to cheap muzzle brakes suppressors and flash hiders.
zook60
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 16 Sep 2014, 8:41 pm

petemacsydney wrote:so its the actual shaft of the bolt that is teflon coated?
that's weird!

I used teflon coated piston skirts in my 2 stroke kart engines, 100cc - 20,000rpm redline-31hp,i could build it to the right tolerances and race it without running it in, if i didn't use teflon coated skirts i would have to run the engine in.

I reckon it would be the same teflon coating used on piston skirts, it would last forever on a rifle bolt, if you had to get it redone it would be fairly cheap.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Skadoo » 17 Sep 2014, 2:55 pm

zook60 wrote:Because the rifle is aimed at the American tactical shooter it gives them access to cheap muzzle brakes suppressors and flash hiders.

I suppose...

I wonder how that stacks up against existing Tikka or Sako owners who are likely to buy one but have already have their other rifles in metric.

:?:
Skadoo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles