Bullpup rifles - Why so few?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Bullpup rifles - Why so few?

Post by Combat_Wombat » 31 Aug 2014, 9:03 am

Biggest problem with bolt action bull pups is how awkward they are the cycle the bolt. I've seen a video with a mosin nagant bull pup and the top of the butt stock pops up to let the bolt move. So you have to more or less triples the time to chamber a new round. Saying that looks pretty damn cool though!
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Baldrick314 » 31 Aug 2014, 10:08 am

Bullpups are pretty renowned for poor triggers because of the distance between the trigger and where the firing pin actually releases. They rely on a linkage system which can give a gritty, creepy pull. That being said I have heard that newer rifles are rectifying this issue
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 31 Aug 2014, 12:11 pm

I have both the DTA SRS in 308 Win,338 Lap and the HTI in 375 Cheytac,50BMG. Both have near perfect triggers from the factory and are fully adjustable, not that I've had to worry about that yet. The general opinion is that cycling the bolt whist maintaining cheek weld is awkward though with practise becomes second nature. The bull pup configuration has the benefit of longer barrel for shorter overall length which makes for a lighter package. One thing I do love about the DTA is I can swap calibres in under 2 mins by swapping out the barrel, bolt, mag and resetting the scope zero. The only downside is that with the lighter weight you feel the recoil more, especially in the 50BMG configuration.
I remember the good old days when I lusted after a bull pup conversion stock for the Ruger Mini-14, I've always had a thing for how they look.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Frenchy » 31 Aug 2014, 3:24 pm

Costly, finely tuned stocks are a prerequisite - mainly with regards to the trigger mechanism (quality, safety, reliability).

The demand vs the cost just isn't there. Anyone who wants the bull pup config pays for it with DTA.
Frenchy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 31 Aug 2014, 3:48 pm

Bull-pup design was based on and intended for semi-auto/select fire rifles......
For various reasons there aint a significant market around these parts :roll:
The bolt action rifles stocks designed to sit the action in the bull pup arrangement are a compromise...... for those who dream of a semi.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Aussier » 02 Sep 2014, 9:46 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:Biggest problem with bolt action bull pups is how awkward they are the cycle the bolt.

Useless for hunting I'd say, far to awkward for a quick follow up shot in that config.

For target shooting? Meh.

Outside of a military setting where being compact was critical I don't see the point at all.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Manimal » 02 Sep 2014, 9:47 pm

I can do without the muzzle blast. Happy to have the barrel further away in a normal sporter rifle.
Manimal
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles