How many shots could a rifle fire in its lifetime

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: How many shots could a rifle fire in its lifetime

Post by Baronvonrort » 10 Sep 2014, 9:47 pm

Does chrome moly last longer than stainless?

The adi reloading guide gives pressures from 45,000- 60,000 psi for popular centrefire rounds, of course using trail boss for making centrefires subsonic drops the pressure to around 25-27,000 psi.

40,000 psi is 275 Mpa which is the tensile yield strength of 416 stainless, the yield strength is where it starts to go through inelastic deformation before it fails which is the ultimate tensile strength which is 515 Mpa for 416 SS.

Chrome moly has a yield strength of 435 Mpa and a UTS of 670 mpa, if your loads are less than 63,000 psi according to the adi book you are below the yield strength of 4130.

I would go chrome moly over stainless on the fact chrome moly would be below its yield strength for the maximum pressure loads in the adi book with stainless being above the yield strength on start loads.
The saving factor here is these pressures are only sustained for a tiny fraction of a second.
Stainless can handle heat a little better than 4130 which like pressure is not sustained for great durations.

A colour heat chart will show black is the hottest colour for things left in the sun, perhaps stainless has an advantage in cooling when walking around in the sun as it will not absorb heat like a black barrel.

Perhaps the accurate lifetime of a gun is much shorter than its lifetime it could fire,i reckon a 22lr would win this one.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 10 Sep 2014, 10:58 pm

Well My .22 is third generation in my family mate, still shoots fine :)
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by tactice » 11 Sep 2014, 3:51 pm

One of the guys here reckoned he was up to about 20,000 shots with his 22LR without ever cleaning.

The suckers last forever.
Remington 700 VTR .22-250 Rem
Remington 700 VTR .308 Win
tactice
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 13 Oct 2014, 10:06 pm

i have a REM 700 on it 3rd barrel and second stock , in 17rem thats 3500 and in 6X45 (6mm223) that was 11000 and now it at just over 3000 in 223rem so far thats 17500 and still just as good as the day i bought it.
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by wayward » 15 Oct 2014, 11:03 am

deye243 wrote:so far thats 17500 and still just as good as the day i bought it.

Can't argue with that :D
wayward
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Noisydad » 15 Oct 2014, 11:25 am

deye243 wrote:i have a REM 700 on it 3rd barrel and second stock , in 17rem thats 3500 and in 6X45 (6mm223) that was 11000 and now it at just over 3000 in 223rem so far thats 17500 and still just as good as the day i bought it.

Sounds like my grandfathers axe...it's had twelve new handles and thee new heads! :lol:
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 15 Oct 2014, 11:46 am

ChicagoTed wrote:my ar15 should last around 30k probably longer hard to tell
4150 cmv steel
chrome lined as well

modern pistols should last almost forever

Not likely to maintain acceptable accuracy beyond 10 000 to 15000 rounds for an auto centre fire even with a chrome lined barrel . A lot depends on how well the throat stays intake . If the chrome starts to peel off at the throat as it erodes then it wears quickly after that . A real high quality chrome barrel might see 20 000 useful rounds but I doubt it because of fire cracking just in front of the chamber . Standard Military weapons can be used for longer as the standard of accuracy required in combat is less in general than most target shoots or hunters would require .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 15 Oct 2014, 8:09 pm

It's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string? there are so many variables even within the one calibre to really quantify. How loads, bad cleaning, all sorts of thing will shorted life of a barrel. Some times the crown or the throat gets buggered before anything else. Then there's the great unknown; the rifle that will still shoot well until it's almost a smoothbore!
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 15 Oct 2014, 8:11 pm

It's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string? there are so many variables even within the one calibre to really quantify. How loads, bad cleaning, all sorts of things will shorted life of a barrel. Some times the crown or the throat gets buggered before anything else. Then there's the great unknown; the rifle that will still shoot well until it's almost a smoothbore! The other factor is the expectations of the owner, (and his/her ability). :D
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 15 Oct 2014, 11:28 pm

Noisydad wrote:
deye243 wrote:i have a REM 700 on it 3rd barrel and second stock , in 17rem thats 3500 and in 6X45 (6mm223) that was 11000 and now it at just over 3000 in 223rem so far thats 17500 and still just as good as the day i bought it.

Sounds like my grandfathers axe...it's had twelve new handles and thee new heads! :lol:

i got a good laugh out of that ..... :lol:

the only reason i put a 223r barrel on the rem was it's groups opened up to .75moa min and as it was my work rifle (culling roos) i went 223
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 16 Oct 2014, 7:33 am

Most actions if looked after well will outlast several new barrels .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gregg » 16 Oct 2014, 8:41 pm

A cared for .22 could outlast you and your kids.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles