416 Barrett Model 99

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: 416 Barrett Model 99

Post by brett1868 » 07 Oct 2014, 12:00 pm

Mahna, of the ones in the picture I'd have to go with the DTA SRS cause it's the more accurate no matter if it's running in 338 or 308 trim. Of all the rifles I currently own the favourite is my Sako 85 Varmit laminated S/S in 22-250 cause it's light and covers virtually everything I'm wanting to shoot. The rifles in the picture are all fun to shoot but are really only practical for targets from a bench, though I often use the SRS when shooting on the farm.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 07 Oct 2014, 10:35 pm

Projectiles showed up today :D

Some technical difficulties around case dimensions for the reformed brass is preventing me from loading any rounds. Not a big deal as I'm still waiting for the Tempilaq 650F paint to arrive so I can calibrate the annealing machine. I can't get to the farm till maybe late November or early December so I can afford to wait and I still have a pile of brass to neck ream. Spent a couple hours out St Mary's range tonight with my faithful Sako 22-250, I really love this rifle and cartridge and finally think I've nailed it's perfect load after trying dozens of combinations of powder & projectile.

How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Khan » 08 Oct 2014, 10:56 am

That's a big vote for the Sako given the competition.
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 18 Oct 2014, 10:48 pm

A bit of an update, loaded rounds arrived Friday morning 4 weeks later then promised. Quality of the case forming leaves a little to be desired, mine turned out better. Tempilaq arrived yesterday and I've worked out the timing on the annealer. I mainly concentrated the heat on the neck & shoulder as this is where the bulk of the forming took place.

Before

During

After

I put through 101 cases in next to no time and allowed them to air cool, loaded 40 and vacumm bagged the rest for storage. I've now got 200 loaded rounds which should be enough for a while. Once I fire form these cases I'll get more serious about load development and seating depth though I think I'm close at 4.554". I have to work the next 28 days straight then I'll be heading north to the farm for 4 days of solid shooting. Might go sit up the back paddock and see if I can pick off a pig with this or the 50 just to see what happens.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Carter » 19 Oct 2014, 7:50 am

Those foil take-away trays are good for everything :D
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lyam » 19 Oct 2014, 9:00 am

brett1868 wrote:Quality of the case forming leaves a little to be desired, mine turned out better.

Just hastily done?
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by lole » 19 Oct 2014, 9:02 am

brett1868 wrote:Image

How much time are you giving the necks on the annealer with the double torch setup?
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 19 Oct 2014, 10:49 am

The Tempilaq started to run at 7.5 on the timer controller which is allegedly 7.5 seconds but having used a stopwatch it's more like 11.5 seconds. The challenging part is that there are 2 different gasses available for the torches, there's the regular propane and then there's MAP which is supposed to be hotter. Bunning's looks to have shafted Bernzomatic and gone direct to the Chinese manufacturer to make the "Trade Flame" line of products.

I'll make the switch to the MAP gas on the next run of cases and I suspect will only need to run the one torch. I used both torches this time as propane didn't heat the case enough before the timer expired. Bear in mind these are shortened 50BMG cases that have been neck reamed so the brass is going to be thicker then usual. I'll start saving my damaged cases in other calibres' to experiment with annealing them.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by lole » 19 Oct 2014, 11:10 am

That's crook if it's 4 seconds off how long it tells you.

Turn a lot of cases to useless butter if you hadn't caught it...
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 19 Oct 2014, 1:26 pm

lole wrote:That's crook if it's 4 seconds off how long it tells you.

Turn a lot of cases to useless butter if you hadn't caught it...

It's not really a problem cause I calibrate using Tempilaq paint so all I'm only interested in is what number the dial is sitting on when I hit the right time. I start low and gradually increase the time till the paint melts. Short video below.

http://youtu.be/5_mugWV7w0s
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by lole » 20 Oct 2014, 9:10 am

You're on top of it which is good.

What I meant was if you just got it out of the box and hit the go button trusting it was on 7 seconds you could ruin a lot of brass before you figured it out.

Not having a go or knocking it, just an observation.

It's obviously working well with your timings sorted out :)
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Hercl » 20 Oct 2014, 9:10 am

Looking good Brett.
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AussieTimmeh » 20 Oct 2014, 11:34 am

Great thread, thanks for sharing all the photos! Your stories of 416 makes 500 Nitro Express seem like a walk in the park.

I'm surprised somewhere like Bertram Bullets in Victoria can't get you what you need at a good price. I buy my 500 Nitro Express cases and projectiles from them new and they are cheap and fast to deliver.

Peace.
Savage Model 10 BAT/S .308, Savage Mk II .22LR, RBD Omni-Break 500 Nitro Express
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 20 Oct 2014, 6:52 pm

AussieTimmeh wrote:Great thread, thanks for sharing all the photos! Your stories of 416 makes 500 Nitro Express seem like a walk in the park.

I'm surprised somewhere like Bertram Bullets in Victoria can't get you what you need at a good price. I buy my 500 Nitro Express cases and projectiles from them new and they are cheap and fast to deliver.

Peace.

I did try talking Bertram into making the .416 Barrett brass for me but their machinery is quite old and reforming 50BMG is too harsh on it for the volumes they'd sell so they declined. I buy my .375 Cheytac brass from Bertram and have had some issues around rim thickness but they sorted it near instantaneously and are great to deal with. I ended up forming 100 cases of my own from used ADI brass, bought 100 loaded rounds and have 1000 cases on order direct from Barrett via NIOA so I should be right for cases for some time. On a positive note for keeping as much of my business local I have been talking to Eric and Woodleigh and they are going to machine some sample brass VLD projectiles for me to test. If they test well then I'll do a bulk order and they'll add the projectiles to their catalogue.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Tiiger » 21 Oct 2014, 5:10 pm

brett1868 wrote:I did try talking Bertram into making the .416 Barrett brass for me but their machinery is quite old and reforming 50BMG is too harsh on it for the volumes they'd sell so they declined.

Brass is too harsh? Wouldn't have expected that answer.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by AussieTimmeh » 21 Oct 2014, 6:33 pm

brett1868 wrote:On a positive note for keeping as much of my business local I have been talking to Eric and Woodleigh and they are going to machine some sample brass VLD projectiles for me to test. If they test well then I'll do a bulk order and they'll add the projectiles to their catalogue.

That's awesome mate, good stuff!
Savage Model 10 BAT/S .308, Savage Mk II .22LR, RBD Omni-Break 500 Nitro Express
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by chacka » 22 Oct 2014, 9:04 am

Brett brand projectiles eh. That's cool.
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 06 Jan 2015, 10:53 pm

An update of sorts, the Barrett .416 brass I was chasing finally arrived and I picked up the first 100 cases yesterday. The boys in shipping at NIOA stuffed up the order and sent 100 cases (5 bags of 20) instead of the 100 bags of 20 we ordered. My other 900 cases should show up in the next few days or early next week. Projectiles are now my next problem, Woodleigh have been rather silent on the ones they were going to make for me so i'll start chasing them. They never promised anything and were sort of doing it as a favour so I can't push them too much. As a side plan I've ordered 1000 Barrett 398Gr brass VLD's and with some luck they'll be on the next shipment of dangerous goods into NIOA which looks like March / April. At my current rate of fire I expect 1000 rounds will last a couple years at most.

I have finally organised a trip north for the weekend after this, work is on hold, permission slip signed by senior management (wife) and the weather looks like it'll behave. Packing a threesome of 50's, a pair for .416's, a 375 Cheytac, 338 lap, my trusty Sako 85 22-250 for some hunting and a brand spanking new Mark 5 .257 Weatherby Magnum that I recently added to the collection if I can get ammo organised in time.

I have a spare 8-32x56 NXS and a Khales K624i to play with as I really want to sort this elevation issue on the Steyr 50 so it'll be a process of elimination and hopefully my groups improve. If time / weather permits I'll try some shooting out to 1500m which is about the limit of the property without cows or trees getting in the way though I'm sure the trees can be removed with a few well placed shots :D

These are once fired cases that'll need to be resized and de-primed before reloading but they look brand new..

Nice head stamp

ooooo...Shiney :D

Believe it or not but this mono-pod is classified as dangerous goods....W.T.F it's a piece of threaded metal and a rubber knob.

Bought a couple of spares kits...just in case and only $50 each
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by AussieTimmeh » 07 Jan 2015, 6:38 am

Impressive, look forward to more updates!
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 07 Jan 2015, 10:18 am

brett1868 wrote:I have finally organised a trip north for the weekend after this, work is on hold, permission slip signed by senior management (wife) and the weather looks like it'll behave. Packing a threesome of 50's, a pair for .416's, a 375 Cheytac, 338 lap, my trusty Sako 85 22-250 for some hunting and a brand spanking new Mark 5 .257 Weatherby Magnum that I recently added to the collection if I can get ammo organised in time.

Sure you've got enough? :sarcasm:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by BBJ » 07 Jan 2015, 10:22 am

brett1868 wrote:Believe it or not but this mono-pod is classified as dangerous goods....W.T.F it's a piece of threaded metal and a rubber knob.

camera monopod, no one gives a rats ass.

shooting monopod, deadly weapon.

:unknown:
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by brett1868 » 07 Jan 2015, 8:32 pm

Bourt wrote:
brett1868 wrote:I have finally organised a trip north for the weekend after this, work is on hold, permission slip signed by senior management (wife) and the weather looks like it'll behave. Packing a threesome of 50's, a pair for .416's, a 375 Cheytac, 338 lap, my trusty Sako 85 22-250 for some hunting and a brand spanking new Mark 5 .257 Weatherby Magnum that I recently added to the collection if I can get ammo organised in time.

Sure you've got enough? :sarcasm:

Funny enough I asked myself the same question but since I can shoot all the small stuff anywhere I'll just take the big guns. Managed to source some .257 Weatherby brass and dies today so it'll be making the trip north. Will head to the workshop and get the scope mounted tomorrow night or possibly later tonight if the wife doesn't have other plans for me.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by horter » 08 Jan 2015, 8:45 am

brett1868 wrote:Will head to the workshop and get the scope mounted tomorrow night or possibly later tonight if the wife doesn't have other plans for me.

Gotta get out before she gets home and 'forget' to take your phone so she can't call you back :lol:
Ruger Hawkeye All Weather in .30-06
Sako L61R 7mm Rem Mag
Sako L461 Vixen .222 Rem
Savage 42 combination 22 WMR/410 bore
horter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 08 Jan 2015, 9:04 am

horter wrote:
brett1868 wrote:Will head to the workshop and get the scope mounted tomorrow night or possibly later tonight if the wife doesn't have other plans for me.

Gotta get out before she gets home and 'forget' to take your phone so she can't call you back :lol:

My wife has serious issues with direction, she's got left and other left, straight is whatever direction she's looking irrespective of where her car or body is pointing. If I want to see a dazed and confused look, I pass her map, unfortunately for me she can find her way from the house to the garage and talks loud enough that my mate across the street can hear her :(
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gregg » 08 Jan 2015, 3:04 pm

brett1868 wrote:straight is whatever direction she's looking irrespective of where her car or body is pointing. If I want to see a dazed and confused look, I pass her map

The map is funny.

Can't look at the map without holding it in the same orientation as the landscape and goes round in a circle on the spot a few times finding it :lol:
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 08 Jan 2015, 9:19 pm

This is what 1000 .416 Barrett cases looks like...So shiny, if the wife wasn't home I'd fill the bath with them and jump in :D :D :D

How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by anthillinside » 08 Jan 2015, 9:35 pm

brett1868 wrote:This is what 1000 .416 Barrett cases looks like...So shiny, if the wife wasn't home I'd fill the bath with them and jump in

Kinky :mrgreen:
The only place I've seen more brass in one place was a scrap metal yard :D
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Norton » 09 Jan 2015, 8:59 am

brett1868 wrote:So shiny, if the wife wasn't home I'd fill the bath with them and jump in :D :D :D

Just do it, she'll get over the weirdness soon enough.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AusC » 09 Jan 2015, 9:00 am

anthillinside wrote:The only place I've seen more brass in one place was a scrap metal yard :D

I got some .50 cal brass for you...

300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by anthillinside » 09 Jan 2015, 7:50 pm

Ggggggrrrrlllllll (Homer drooling)

Looks like a Garden supplies mulch bin.

Or is it your private stash? :D
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles