416 Barrett Model 99

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

416 Barrett Model 99

Post by brett1868 » 05 Sep 2014, 11:55 pm

Finally after many months of waiting I finally picked up my Model 99 Barrett chambered in .416 Barrett with 32" Heavy barrel.

I'll be fitting a Nightforce 8-32x56 .250 MOA Zero Stop MOAR-T scope on Barret 30mm ultrahigh rings to finish up the package. I've filled in a B709 tonight and will import 2000 cases for it from the U.S as local ammunition is non existent or way over priced. The round is based on a 50BMG case shortened and necked down to .416. Dies are in transit and since I already shoot 50BMG I have a suitable press and plenty of primers stockpiled. Projectiles are my next challenge, will probably import them as well and I'll talk to the gents at Woodleigh about shrinking their 50BMG VLD brass projectiles down to .416. This is one rifle I've been lusting after for a long time and thanks must go to the boys at Magnum Sports for making this a reality.

A few of my other rifles...

Top to Bottom..Stery HS50 M1, Barrett M98B (338 Lap), DTA SRS (338 Lap) all fitted with NXS 8-32x56 scopes (BORS fitted to Steyr & M98).
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Re: 416 Barrett Model 99

Post by MeccaOz » 06 Sep 2014, 3:44 am

Drools.............................................
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Baz460 » 06 Sep 2014, 5:38 am

Jeez Brett...............'You Have Excellent Taste'. I reckon those crackers, a heap of ammo, chuck in a few feral cats, and I would be in heaven.
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 06 Sep 2014, 7:07 am

Great looking gun
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Triang » 07 Sep 2014, 10:34 am

WANT!
Howa Axiom .308 --- Nikko Stirling Nighteater 3-10x42
Ruger 77/357
Marlin 25N .22 --- Weaver Kaspa 3-9x40
Triang
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by Arth » 07 Sep 2014, 10:34 am

I think Triang wants one.
Arth
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rakk » 07 Sep 2014, 11:16 am

Want all of them :lol:
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bluerob » 07 Sep 2014, 2:07 pm

I've been thinking about buying one of these, but, I'm hearing that there are no ranges in NSW that will allow anything over .308 now (or are slowly introducing this limit). Can only be used on private properties (big ones.....).

Can anyone please confirm if you can shoot the large calibre rifles in NSW and if yes, are they looking to limit calibre's in the future?

Beautiful and mouth watering rifles by the way.

Thanks & best regards to all!
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by agentzero » 07 Sep 2014, 3:04 pm

oh_my_god.jpg
oh_my_god.jpg (27.4 KiB) Viewed 10043 times
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Combat_Wombat » 07 Sep 2014, 4:15 pm

What sort of hoops did you have to jump through to get those?
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 07 Sep 2014, 9:44 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:What sort of hoops did you have to jump through to get those?

No hoops, just a wad of cash and a standard B2 Centre Fire PTA. I sourced some loaded rounds which will get me started whilst I wait for the import permits to come back. I was tempted to just get a 416 kit for the DTA HTI which is half the price of the Barrett but I just love the look of this thing. I'm fortunate enough to have a well paid job, a wife that's understanding of man toys and family with properties to shoot on.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by upup » 08 Sep 2014, 10:00 am

I would like to be your friend.

When can I move in and play with your toys?
upup
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by joojoobeans » 08 Sep 2014, 10:52 am

Got enough lugs on that bolt? :D
joojoobeans
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Lyam » 08 Sep 2014, 10:53 am

Awesome trio you've got there.

Thumbs up.
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 08 Sep 2014, 9:12 pm

joojoobeans wrote:Got enough lugs on that bolt? :D

I love the Barrett bolts and the "Interrupted Thread" design of the locking lugs. I believe Weatherby may use that style as well due to its strength and reliability. The main guns of the US Missouri have the same design so it must be strong.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 08 Sep 2014, 9:23 pm

I received an email this morning from the Imports section of the NSW Firearms Registry asking for a please explain about why I'm manufacturing ammunition in such a large calibre and what are my intentions of using it for. I had lodged a B709 to import ammunition components from the U.S which consisted of 2000 once fired used cases from Barrett directly. Cases are totally inert and will require reloading from locally available components which I stated in the application. I scratched my head for a good couple of hours trying to figure out a response that was both truthful and accurate.
I replied with the truth that the cases were expensive and with all the additional taxes, permits, duties and shipping I required that quantity as I'd only import them once and that was sufficient to last the life of the rifle. I was also asked that since I hold an A,B license would I be using them for hunting OR target shooing. Not sure how you can hunt without first shooting targets so I replied that I'll be using it for a mixture of both.
I'm a 46 year old consultant to an investment bank, married, law abiding family man and yet it's the Police that make me the most paranoid.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Combat_Wombat » 08 Sep 2014, 9:38 pm

That's why I asked about the hoops because to be honest I thought you got those rifles with too little fuss. My partners uncle had been knocked back 4 times trying to get a .338 lap and only managed to get it on the fifth by using the metric measurement for it on his PTA form.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 08 Sep 2014, 10:18 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:That's why I asked about the hoops because to be honest I thought you got those rifles with too little fuss. My partners uncle had been knocked back 4 times trying to get a .338 lap and only managed to get it on the fifth by using the metric measurement for it on his PTA form.

The rifles themselves are not a problem, buying a 50BMG in NSW is that same process as buying a .223. My problem is that while 50BMG ammo is now semi easily available and reasonably priced the 416 Barrett is very scarce. Ultra Tech sell .416 loaded rounds and bare cases but I believe they are using reformed 50BMG brass and a case of 100 loaded rounds is $1800 which is about right considering the cost of brass and the labour involved to reform and load. I'll be ordering a case this week just to get started but ideally I like to have 500 rounds of any 1 calibre available as I load different projectiles at multiple velocities.

My problem all stems from QLD's firearms laws which are a little retarded compared to some other states. Nioa being the Barrett importer in Australia were having grief importing certain calibres and components due to state legislation. As such they possibly didn't want to make an investment in time or legal fees to fight the legislation and be able to import the restricted for QLD but perfectly legal in other states components and I can understand that. I believe for this reason a bunch of Barrett M99 and M95's were bought in via a different state of which my M99 came from, where these particular rifles are perfectly acceptable. Importing rifles provided they comply with state legislation is a reasonably pain free experience but importing live ammunition is very nasty. live ammunition involves all sorts of clearances and requires dangerous goods shipping from the U.S which is massively expensive and probably one of the reasons we occasionally have shortages since the main importers need to make a huge order to spread the cost of the shipping.

Having said all that, I spoke to Paul at Nioa this morning and they may be able to bring the brass in on my behalf and he'll confirm with Barrett overnight. I'll keep my B709 import permit application running in parallel just as a backup in the meantime. Even funnier then the cases is that buying the factory Barrett monopod and some spare extractor springs for the M99 is subject to ITAR regulations and requires export permits and approvals. It's a stick with a rubber knob on the end...wtf !! I'll have to check if the M98B monopod fits or I'll just make one.
Last edited by brett1868 on 26 Sep 2014, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by kritch » 09 Sep 2014, 8:47 am

brett1868 wrote:a case of 100 loaded rounds is $1450 which is about right considering the cost of brass and the labour involved to reform and load.

Faaaaark! :shock:
kritch
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Triang » 09 Sep 2014, 8:48 am

There is that.

I'd love one, except I'll never have one with that ammo cost.

Too much for me for any of those calibres.
Howa Axiom .308 --- Nikko Stirling Nighteater 3-10x42
Ruger 77/357
Marlin 25N .22 --- Weaver Kaspa 3-9x40
Triang
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by Seconds » 09 Sep 2014, 8:49 am

Combat_Wombat wrote:That's why I asked about the hoops because to be honest I thought you got those rifles with too little fuss. My partners uncle had been knocked back 4 times trying to get a .338 lap and only managed to get it on the fifth by using the metric measurement for it on his PTA form.

Hey! Don't be giving anyone ideas about them making more fuss for us!

We don't all want to end up like QLD and WA.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 09 Sep 2014, 11:13 am

Had a follow up reply from the nice lady at the imports section of the firearm's registry and all is well. I believe certain calibres raise flags that need further clarification and I think that's fair enough cause in the end they are protecting our interest by making sure idiots don't get hold of firearms. Anyone considering to go down the path of importing components my advice is to make sure you can justify the import and be honest with the paperwork. Now I have a backup plan if Nioa cannot bring the brass in.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Norty_Country_Bloke » 09 Sep 2014, 2:14 pm

That's one hell of a bunny buster! Drooling. Haha
.22LR, .222 Remington, .12g. But it's not the same when they don't live in your safe :P
Norty_Country_Bloke
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 09 Sep 2014, 2:17 pm

hhhmmm... it could do with a few more locking lugs mate...

drooool...
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 09 Sep 2014, 2:54 pm

I will be mounting the scope today which will get me a little closer to completing the package. Ammo will be ordered Friday and that'll take maybe a week to arrive.

The property I shoot on is around 6 hrs drive from Sydney and with current workload it'll be a several weeks till I can get up there and test the rounds capabilities out. I'm fortunate enough that it's a relatives property who is an avid shooter which is remote and very safe with no chance of hitting anything not intended to be hit. I sight in initially from 100m then 200m, 500m and then out to 1500m if weather / wind permits.

Backdrop consists of 6 railway sleepers stacked 3 high & 2 deep on their sides and tied together with the "Universal glue of the bush" fencing wire. Behind the backdrop is a fairly high dam wall and behind that around 50m wide stretch of trees then 400+m of paddock before yet more forest. There's nothing within 10km behind the backdrop beside mountains and forest and we shoot up on a slight incline. We made a bench from steel that's still light enough for the 2 of us to lift into the back of the ute and can support any rifle you can throw at it.

I'm considering a trip to S.A to shoot camels later in the year as another relative has 20,000 acres and access to a further 30,000 to hunt on. Need to do some research on what calibers are permitted in S.A :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by dorpel » 10 Sep 2014, 7:30 pm

brett1868 wrote:Ammo will be ordered Friday and that'll take maybe a week to arrive.

And a weeks paycheck! Shiiit!
dorpel
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by brett1868 » 19 Sep 2014, 9:53 pm

Time for a bit of an update for those interested...
Ammo is in transit from Ultra Tech (W.A) and should arrive during the week (100 loaded rounds). RCBS reloading dies have arrived and are of the usual high quality one expects from RCBS. Forming dies and neck reamer die from CH4D have shipped and currently tracking shows them sitting in USPS Chicago so hopefully here mid week. Bench-Source annealing machine shipped and tracking shows its in Florida enroute to Sydney I hope cause it's heading the wrong direction at the moment. I'm the sort of person that like to have multiple options so after several emails to Barrett in the U.S and to Paul at NIOA in QLD I will be purchasing 1000 once fired used cases from NIOA. I was heading down the path to do it all myself and have the import permit pending arrival in the mail any day but the price I managed to get from NIOA / Magnum Sports was too good to bother with doing it myself. The cases worked out at $3.25 each which sounds a lot but considering Hornady 50BMG cases retail around the $6 each they represent good value.
I've scoped the 416 with a Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 on Barrett rings and started cleaning up some space in the workshop to set up the forming press and annealer. The annealer requires 1-2 gas torches and they mention Bernzomatic UL100 as their preferred unit but tracking them down was an exercise in frustration. I gave up on these torches and by chance found a pair of pencil flame trade gas brand torches in Bunnings complete with gas bottles for $29 each and they are the perfect size.

Once all the bits show up I'll post some pictures of the setup , but heres one showing my "tactical collection" F-B Steyr HS50 M1, Barrett M99 416, Barrett M98B 338, DTA SRS 338, Colt CLR2102 308.

How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bennybigbores » 19 Sep 2014, 10:20 pm

Great collection, cost of ammo prevents me from pursuing the big boys, maybe one day. Scary thing being I could sell my cars, boat, bike, existing firearms,(wife), and still not afford to replicate your awesome firepower and optics, jealousy is a curse and I've been cursed big time!
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bennybigbores » 19 Sep 2014, 10:23 pm

Also have a look at other posts old mate made a annealing device/machine u could replicate etc
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 19 Sep 2014, 10:24 pm

Are you still taking applications for mates who want to come play with your toys ?
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles