Browning M78 Vs Ruger 1

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Browning M78 Vs Ruger 1

Post by andym79 » 08 Sep 2014, 7:58 pm

Assuming both rifles are in the same condition and calibre, which is likely to be better?
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: Browning M78 Vs Ruger 1

Post by MeccaOz » 08 Sep 2014, 11:56 pm

From what Ive read the Browning wins the title, with the Miroku made ones just edging out the Browning. But that is all second hand from forums, I honestly have no first hand experience with the Browning's or Miroku.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by 1886 » 10 Sep 2014, 12:56 am

I can only give you my thoughts on a 45/70 Browning B78 as I have the Bicentennial Commemorative version that was made by Miroku in 1976. It is an outstanding rifle and very accurate and the overall craftsmanship is mind blowing. The action etc is superb and its a deliet to shoot.

But this version is not something you would normally use for hunting, however the basic versions would still have the same craftsmanship and internals and although I have no knowledge whatsoever on the Ruger No 1 I doubt you would be disappointed with a Browning.

It may come down to what you want to use it for as my Browning has an octagonal barrel so the Ruger maybe lighter.
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Gregg » 12 Sep 2014, 1:25 pm

Ruger has the internal hammer which is a plus in my book. One less thing to catch on anything.

Others like the thumb operation of a hammer though, so the Browning has that if it's your thing.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bobnob » 13 Sep 2014, 9:05 am

Used to own a B78 in 308 Norma Mag. Have also used a few Ruger N1s and in all honesty the B78 comes first with daylight second for finish, craftsmanship and accuracy.

All the Ruger owners I have met had finicky accuracy and found them temperamental, would group well one day and next time out spray them.

I would qualify my comments by saying that I have not owned a Ruger 1 so perhaps with more time with the rifle I might find it as accurate, but the Browning is a beautiful single shot. They are also a good but more expensive.
bobnob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Korkt » 16 Sep 2014, 1:39 pm

bobnob wrote:They are also a good but more expensive.

Ruger wins a lot of comparisons on price I think.

Bit of a false economy IMO.

Cheaper rifle, but every miss is wasted money. Better to spend the extra if you can for the better rifle that will shoot better (waste less ammo) and last longer.

Style, craftsman ship is subjective/personal but if you don't like it as much there is a cost to your enjoyment there.

My 2c.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RDobber » 16 Sep 2014, 1:40 pm

Korkt wrote:Cheaper rifle, but every miss is wasted money.

And one that quickly adds up.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bobnob » 18 Sep 2014, 6:58 am

Korkt wrote:
bobnob wrote:They are also a good but more expensive.

Ruger wins a lot of comparisons on price I think.

Bit of a false economy IMO.

Cheaper rifle, but every miss is wasted money. Better to spend the extra if you can for the better rifle that will shoot better (waste less ammo) and last longer.

Style, craftsman ship is subjective/personal but if you don't like it as much there is a cost to your enjoyment there.

My 2c.

Your 2c is well worth reading!

Good post.
bobnob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Korkt » 18 Sep 2014, 2:59 pm

I'll have to up my prices for future reading ;)
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by stephencee » 19 Sep 2014, 2:58 pm

Korkt wrote:Bit of a false economy IMO.

Cheaper rifle, but every miss is wasted money.

Completely agree.

I spent the extra to get Anschutz for my .22 because I wanted it to be real accurate. I'd used some cheaper loan ones at the range or mates ones. I hated shooting them when you know you did a smooth stable shot and you watch the bullet hole appear somewhere other than the crosshair.

Frustrating as well as the cost thing.
Anschütz 1416 D HB
stephencee
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles