COOOL .. New Ruger

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

COOOL .. New Ruger

Post by MeccaOz » 09 Sep 2014, 2:44 pm

Just got an email from Ruger, seems the Ruger Gunsite Scout is now out in .223 / 5.56

http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteSc ... odels.html
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Re: COOOL .. New Ruger

Post by Baldrick314 » 09 Sep 2014, 6:00 pm

At least it won't bark and kick as much as the 308 version :lol:
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 09 Sep 2014, 6:00 pm

Was hoping it would be lighter, but it isnt, it's 7.10 pounds.

Here is a small write up on it. http://www.shootingtimes.com/first-look ... 5-56-nato/
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 09 Sep 2014, 6:04 pm

MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 09 Sep 2014, 8:52 pm

Damn it looks like I'll be getting another .223 then :lol:
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 10 Sep 2014, 7:01 am

It's no longer a 'scout' then..... if In 223.
As a scout rifle it should be capable of handling anything encountered... The styer was available in 376 for that reason.

I still want a 308, with shorty barrel!!
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by MeccaOz » 10 Sep 2014, 7:57 am

I wonder if there are any dramas with it being stamped 5.56 , especially in WA ...
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 10 Sep 2014, 7:59 am

1290 wrote:It's no longer a 'scout' then..... if In 223.
As a scout rifle it should be capable of handling anything encountered... The styer was available in 376 for that reason.

I still want a 308, with shorty barrel!!

I know what ya mean 1290, but the whole scout thing is just a concept, to be chopped changed updated as any manufacturer see's fit. I mean it is there own implementation of the/a concept.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by 1290 » 10 Sep 2014, 9:13 am

Thats right, that its a concept... and ruger have no doubt listened to the punters who want a 223 for 223 hunting/plinking/self defense purposes but it has misconstrued the concept, indeed corrupted it.

Dont get me wrong, I like the little 223, the wife has one and I frequently shoot it, but it has a purpose... shooting small or smallish animals. You definitely need a more powerful (larger cal) round for anything biger than a small to medium size animal, at least to cleanly kill.

In an ideal world, Ruger would leave to Scout concept intact, start a similar line, chamber the 223, the 204, whatever, then chamber the scout in 375 Ruger, NOW you're talking :D

I know they have a 20inch barrel version of the 375... too long!...

As far as 5.56; if its labeled x45, that will send the tards 'who rule us' searching for their Guns and ammo guide, if followed by NATO... wont get past Australian Genius Services.. sorry, Customs
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 10 Sep 2014, 9:17 am

Take 4 inches off that barrel... THEN you've got a serious 'scout' rifle... :D

Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by mausermate » 10 Sep 2014, 9:49 am

I have been looking for the new Culling rifle and this looked like a good platform to work from but it's pity they haven't incorporated a double feed type magazine into the rifle.
To reload the mag while the magazine is in or out would make a great additional option. Looks like it is double stack and centre feed.
There you have the indestructible Ruger 77 with a control feed, open bridge and no top feed....can't work it out. Why do they do that?

Does anyone know of a new rifle that offers control feed, detachable mags in 10 shot with top load (left, right feed) option?
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 10 Sep 2014, 9:59 am

mausermate wrote:I have been looking for the new Culling rifle and this looked like a good platform to work from but it's pity they haven't incorporated a double feed type magazine into the rifle.
To reload the mag while the magazine is in or out would make a great additional option. Looks like it is double stack and centre feed.
There you have the indestructible Ruger 77 with a control feed, open bridge and no top feed....can't work it out. Why do they do that?

Does anyone know of a new rifle that offers control feed, detachable mags in 10 shot with top load (left, right feed) option?

What chambering? Assuming your preferred rifle is a 98... maybe in 8x57?? you can find trench mags.... ;)

But why cant you top feed the rooga? you mean ease of loading perhaps? I havent used a scout, but I know the centrefeed savage, in 223 especially is an absolute nightmare to load the blind mag.... maybe I just dont have the necessary fiddly dexterity..

Maybe you could open up the lips and install the appropriate follower, I dunno...
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Combat_Wombat » 10 Sep 2014, 10:05 am

Funny how people always comment about .223 being underpowered for anything other than small game but it's deemed perfectly suitable for killing people. Guess we are a lot easier to take down
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 10 Sep 2014, 10:18 am

Combat_Wombat wrote:Funny how people always comment about .223 being underpowered for anything other than small game but it's deemed perfectly suitable for killing people. Guess we are a lot easier to take down

I'm sure a 22rimfire can kill a roo, bovine, ovine, porcine etc... eventually and with the right shot, but if there is another option available.....

The 223 might be enough for 'military' purposes, I'm not a soldier, but I see a human in body mass, size etc could possibly fall into the small to medium size, in form not too different from a large roo??

Our soldiers are afterall complelled to use the fox and rabbit round in conflict, they dont really have a choice, if they did, I'm sure, infact 'certain individuals' with whom I have discussed this matter directly, have stated that if the choice was available, they would most certainly ditch the 22 for the 308...
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by mausermate » 10 Sep 2014, 10:24 am

1290 wrote:
mausermate wrote:I have been looking for the new Culling rifle and this looked like a good platform to work from but it's pity they haven't incorporated a double feed type magazine into the rifle.

What chambering? Assuming your preferred rifle is a 98... maybe in 8x57?? you can find trench mags.... ;)

But why cant you top feed the rooga? you mean ease of loading perhaps? I havent used a scout, but I know the centrefeed savage, in 223 especially is an absolute nightmare to load the blind mag.... maybe I just dont have the necessary fiddly dexterity..

Maybe you could open up the lips and install the appropriate follower, I dunno...

Scout is centre feed. Cannot be top loaded. Open the mag lips and the rounds fall out.

Looked at a lot of options.
The plan is;
223 (cheap to run, low recoil, almost 100% shooting out a vehicle window at night)
heavy 20 inch barrel (won't get caught up in the vehicle, heavy keeps her steady, velocity not an issue as most shooting done closer than 200m)
control feed (no problems when you have to load quick)
10 shot detachable double stack magazines (plenty of firepower and double stack to keep them short)
top feed ( when something moves you have to unload, you don't want a loaded gun inside the vehicle, just popping the bolt handle up or putting the safety on is not an option, and you don't want to have to keep taking that mag in and out. Also need to top up quickly and easily.)

Thought a rebarreled Scout might be an option, then the 223 turned up but not quite right as a platform.
I have searched the net up and down and can't find what I need. Sure could use some help...please.
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 10 Sep 2014, 11:59 am

I was referring to opening the lips with the appropriate (staggered feed) follower....

anyhow, centrefeed savages top load, so does the GSR;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlS5N-ny7EI
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by MeccaOz » 10 Sep 2014, 2:14 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:Funny how people always comment about .223 being underpowered for anything other than small game but it's deemed perfectly suitable for killing people. Guess we are a lot easier to take down

lol I have had a stand up argument with a d**khead who was telling me a .22 cant kill ya ... City guy with NO experience with guns, was just going off what a country cousin told him about using a .22LR for shooting wabbits and anything else using a larger caliber.

And 1290, I think it's simply Ruger listening to the people ( there has been alot of people wanting a .223 version ), and them talking Gunsite into it. Both stand to make $$ outta it all, profit drives I guess mate. Looking at the pricetag of US $1039.00 ... I'd say they will milk it for all it's worth too.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Baldrick314 » 10 Sep 2014, 2:36 pm

MeccaOz wrote:I wonder if there are any dramas with it being stamped 5.56 , especially in WA ...

It could have problems getting out of the states like the Mossberg MVP
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by effex » 11 Sep 2014, 4:43 pm

MeccaOz wrote:I wonder if there are any dramas with it being stamped 5.56 , especially in WA ...

Why's that?

NATO a 4 letter work around here?
effex
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by Norton » 11 Sep 2014, 4:43 pm

1290 wrote:Take 4 inches off that barrel... THEN you've got a serious 'scout' rifle... :D

And in the big boomer calibres :D
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 11 Sep 2014, 4:58 pm

Norton wrote:
1290 wrote:Take 4 inches off that barrel... THEN you've got a serious 'scout' rifle... :D

And in the big boomer calibres :D

Nothing too big, just a lil' 375 ;)
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Norton » 11 Sep 2014, 10:00 pm

C'mon, you can go that one step higher for the .416.

Yeah!
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Eduardo » 12 Sep 2014, 4:21 am

Damn, I really didn't need a 5th 223 rifle.
A volatile mixture of implacable OCD and vexatiuous ADD.
Eduardo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Sep 2014, 8:22 am

It's not a new rifle, same rifle in diff cal is all - still wouldn't bother with one myself.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by 1290 » 12 Sep 2014, 9:15 am

Norton wrote:C'mon, you can go that one step higher for the .416.

Yeah!

Nah, 375 as far as I'm concerned is the upper limit for the scout 'style' of rifle, Steyr had the right idea with the calibre, but the 376 is what, 200fps or so behind the H&H or Ruger....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 12 Sep 2014, 10:27 am

I'm surprised the Guide Gun hasn't done better TBH.

The Scout is crazy popular while the Guide Gun's almost gone by unnoticed.

With the range of calibres and removable brake system I'd thought it would have been the other way round.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by MeccaOz » 13 Sep 2014, 1:27 am

Lorgar wrote:I'm surprised the Guide Gun hasn't done better TBH.

The Scout is crazy popular while the Guide Gun's almost gone by unnoticed.

With the range of calibres and removable brake system I'd thought it would have been the other way round.

It does look like a serious rifle to me, and I'm keen to get one ... As soon as I get my pocket money :D
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by 1290 » 13 Sep 2014, 8:26 am

Lorgar wrote:I'm surprised the Guide Gun hasn't done better TBH.

It come down to the detachable mag..... or the lack there of. Yes the 308win in the GSR is the go to chambering, but the guide has many more options and serious contenders; 300/338winmag, 375/416Ruger and others
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 14 Sep 2014, 10:02 pm

1290 wrote:It come down to the detachable mag..... or the lack there of.

That's never been much of a selling point for me. Who needs a 10 shot mag for hunting?

1 shot and maybe second follow up for single targets. 3-4 shots and everything's scattered anyway if it that's the type of hunting.

Anyway, not trying to ruin it for anyone else. It just doesn't appeal to me all that much.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Sep 2014, 10:26 pm

Tactards and Mallnija's might need em! :lol: their about the only ones though. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles