Pretty Pissed Off

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Pretty Pissed Off

Post by Westy » 10 Sep 2014, 5:38 pm

Well the 223 Tikka arrived yesterday and so today was the test and tune for this weekends hunting trip!

This is the Wife's new Weapon of choice and the thing has s**t it's self right outta the box! The bolt face is chewing the ass off the cases and not allowing the action to close properly and a weird grind is occurring and it isn't pretty !!!!!!! :evil: :( :twisted:

Yer I know it's going to get fixed and it'll all work out fine but s**t I mean Damm wouldn't it just be nice to have it work straight outta the box!

I rang my local where I purchased it and yer you guessed it , first thing outta their mouths was were you using reloads or factory ammo!!! WTF it doesn't even close little lone me wanting to fire it!!!!Yep I'm pretty pissed off right now but well tomorrow's coming I guess!!!! :? :o :(

Watch this space
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Re: Pretty Pissed Off

Post by 1290 » 10 Sep 2014, 6:33 pm

Serves you right for buying one of those cheap ass.... Oooooooh its a tikka, I thought they were the second best rifle ever in the history of man kind... only second to Sarko of course :?

What edzackery is wrong with it? pictures may assist your description in this emotional state...
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 10 Sep 2014, 6:50 pm

not to send you of in a rage, but,,,,did you try factory ammo? i know that there should be no diff but?? now if you were using factory ammo send that lemon back feel bad for you :cry:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by FuzzyM » 10 Sep 2014, 7:36 pm

Should have bought a decent quality Norinco........... :lol:
Sorry, I too would be rather upset if I shelled out for any rifle and it ate cartridges.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Sep 2014, 8:59 pm

So were you using factory or handloads? sounds like handloads to me but would be helpful if you could give us a clear indication as to what you were using.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 10 Sep 2014, 9:38 pm

:lol: :D Here's a Hint Scott The loads I was using had 22Grns of Bench mark 1 with a 55 grn Hornady V-Max !!!!! :lol: :D Yep hand loads and they work like a charm in my 223 super Varmint .5" Moa. Issue isn't with the loads themselves it even is marking both new Winchester brass and Lapua brass, issue with the bolt itself??? Poor machining surprised it made it outta the Tikka factory :?: :?: :?:

Ohhh and 1290 GROW UP WANKER!!!!! "What edzackery is wrong with it? pictures may assist your description in this emotional state" It's Broken but that may be a little to technical for you to understand!!!!!

As I said it came from the Tikka Factory not somewhere in Mexico!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Last edited by Westy on 10 Sep 2014, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Sep 2014, 9:45 pm

Westy wrote::lol: :D Here's a Hint Scott The loads I was using had 22Grns of Bench mark 1 with a 55 grn Hornady V-Max !!!!! :lol: :D Yep hand loads and they work like a charm in my 223 super Varmint .5" Moa. Issue isn't with the loads themselves it even is marking both new Winchester brass and Lapua brass, issue with the bolt itself??? Poor machining surprised it made it outta the Tikka factory :?: :?: :?: Ohhh and 1290 GROW UP!!!!! As I said it came from the Tikka Factory not somewhere in Mexico!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Thanks for that Westy - any pics of what its doing mate? Did I ever tell you about my mates 2 Sakos? both of em had stuffed barrels from the factory :shock: As I say brand/price is no G'tee of Satisfaction and quality.

Oh I forgot to mention that Beretta were good to deal with in this instance, both were replaced without fuss from what my mate said.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by newsteadvic » 11 Sep 2014, 6:22 am

Westy wrote:the bolt face is chewing the ass off the cases and not allowing the action to close properly and a weird grind is occurring and it isn't pretty !!!!!!!

Do you mean that the bolt face is scoring or marking the base of a case? Is there a burr or rough surface on the bolt face?

Or do you mean that the locking lugs of the bolt head will not rotate and engage to allow the bolt to go fully home? Does the bolt close fully on an empty chamber with or without the grind?
newsteadvic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 11 Sep 2014, 10:25 am

Westy wrote:Well the 223 Tikka arrived yesterday and so today was the test and tune for this weekends hunting trip!!This is the Wife's new Weapon of choice and the thing has s**t it's self right outta the box!!!!the bolt face is chewing the ass off the cases and not allowing the action to close properly and a weird grind is occurring and it isn't pretty !!!!!!! :evil: :( :twisted: Yer I know it's going to get fixed and it'll all work out fine but s**t I mean Damm wouldn't it just be nice to have it work straight outta the box!!!! I rang my local where I purchased it and yer you guessed it , first thing outta their mouths was were you using reloads or factory ammo!!!WTF it doesn't even close little lone me wanting to fire it!!!!Yep I'm pretty pissed off right now but well tomorrow's coming I guess!!!! :? :o :(
Watch this space

You know, reloads or factory rounds is a valid question and the first thing that will be checked by the blacksmith. You may know what you are doing but many don't and bad tempered old farts whose hemorrhoids or prostate are playing up are usually the worst for standing on the principle that they have done nothing wrong.

Three years ago I tried to explain (in capacity as a range officer dealing with a stuck round) to an older bloke that it was probably the neck sized .308's from his old rifle that were the problem but I got the "don't tell me how to reload, I have been doing it for forty years.." speech. Anyway, credit to the local gunshop that they knew he was a twit and sent it off to a gunsmith locally and asked him to have a look at it before it was sent away for warranty. Sure enough it was the reloads. BUT guess what- sheer bloody mindedness made the twit insist on it being sent away for warranty and $220 later he got the same reply and STILL HAD TO BUY A FLS die.

You can probably guess that on the hemorrhoid/prostate/simple bloody mindedness/bad tempered old fart principle I never received an apology.

Anyway I know it is not this in your case but getting upset about them asking- especially when it is a TIKKA and they hardly ever have issues- would have to be considered unreasonable......... but in the heat of the moment it does happen.

And a small tip for the newer members: when you have a problem with a new rifle NEVER say you have used reloads as it automatically cancels the warranty or gives them an arguing point- even though the issue may have nothing to do with reloads and it would be obvious to blind freddy that it was a factory fault. And be nice to the poor bloke at the gunshop, he is probably mortified that he has sold a faulty rifle and will do his best to get a satisfactory result and if he hasn't been blasted will probably go in to bat for you if the distributor gets a bit niggly.

Just my humble thoughts.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by 1290 » 11 Sep 2014, 11:01 am

Westy wrote::lol: :D Here's a Hint Scott The loads I was using had 22Grns of Bench mark 1 with a 55 grn Hornady V-Max !!!!! :lol: :D Yep hand loads and they work like a charm in my 223 super Varmint .5" Moa. Issue isn't with the loads themselves it even is marking both new Winchester brass and Lapua brass, issue with the bolt itself??? Poor machining surprised it made it outta the Tikka factory :?: :?: :?:

Ohhh and 1290 GROW UP WANKER!!!!! "What edzackery is wrong with it? pictures may assist your description in this emotional state" It's Broken but that may be a little to technical for you to understand!!!!!

As I said it came from the Tikka Factory not somewhere in Mexico!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

... whatever.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Shotfox » 11 Sep 2014, 11:15 am

Warrigul wrote:You know, reloads or factory rounds is a valid question and the first thing that will be checked by the blacksmith. You may know what you are doing but many don't and bad tempered old farts whose hemorrhoids or prostate are playing up are usually the worst for standing on the principle that they have done nothing wrong.

Three years ago I tried to explain (in capacity as a range officer dealing with a stuck round) to an older bloke that it was probably the neck sized .308's from his old rifle that were the problem but I got the "don't tell me how to reload, I have been doing it for forty years.." speech. Anyway, credit to the local gunshop that they knew he was a twit and sent it off to a gunsmith locally and asked him to have a look at it before it was sent away for warranty. Sure enough it was the reloads. BUT guess what- sheer bloody mindedness made the twit insist on it being sent away for warranty and $220 later he got the same reply and STILL HAD TO BUY A FLS die.

You can probably guess that on the hemorrhoid/prostate/simple bloody mindedness/bad tempered old fart principle I never received an apology.

Anyway I know it is not this in your case but getting upset about them asking- especially when it is a TIKKA and they hardly ever have issues- would have to be considered unreasonable......... but in the heat of the moment it does happen.

And a small tip for the newer members: when you have a problem with a new rifle NEVER say you have used reloads as it automatically cancels the warranty or gives them an arguing point- even though the issue may have nothing to do with reloads and it would be obvious to blind freddy that it was a factory fault. And be nice to the poor bloke at the gunshop, he is probably mortified that he has sold a faulty rifle and will do his best to get a satisfactory result and if he hasn't been blasted will probably go in to bat for you if the distributor gets a bit niggly.

Just my humble thoughts.

Warrigal you are spot on about the factory ammo thing. I always put the first box of factory ammo through a new rifle . WESTY - Call Baretta in Melbourne and see how you get on . Tell them the situation and you just may get some immediate help. Its a case of the squeaky wheel gets the oil.
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Sep 2014, 12:26 pm

Westy wrote::lol: :D Here's a Hint Scott The loads I was using had 22Grns of Bench mark 1 with a 55 grn Hornady V-Max !!!!! :lol: :D Yep hand loads and they work like a charm in my 223 super Varmint .5" Moa. Issue isn't with the loads themselves it even is marking both new Winchester brass and Lapua brass, issue with the bolt itself??? Poor machining surprised it made it outta the Tikka factory :?: :?: :?:

I just re read that and I'd say you're dies might not be set up correctly. By the sounds of it you haven't tried factory ammo in it? (for some reason I thought you had) I'd be having a look at some factory ammo and see if that cycles through ok, that would then confirm one way or another if it is your handloads, but I'd say Beretta may reject the warranty claim if you've only used handloads.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Sep 2014, 1:30 pm

Hi Westy,
Yeah it does put a nasty taste in the mouth, after good $ spent and s**t in return.

Reckon what the bigfellahscott said is good tho,,,,,, Check some different brands of factory stuff so you can answer all the questions the dealer is gonna ask.

I've got a rifle that performs extremely well on whatever I feed it EXCEPT for one particular higher end brand. (all factory rounds)
This particular brand causes the bolt face to have a minor version of which you are describing.

Spit the bad taste out, take a swig of the good stuff, and work thru it mate.
You'll come out on top at the end. :)
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by RDobber » 11 Sep 2014, 2:09 pm

Westy wrote:Watch this space

Watching. Keep us posted.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Westy » 11 Sep 2014, 4:57 pm

Well the issue was with the Tikka and it has been rectified today there were no Questions asked and the new one shoots like a charm, the set trigger is awesome to use and hopefully we can post some pics after this weekend. We went over the brass issue today and I hear what your saying Scott Thanx
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Westy » 11 Sep 2014, 5:09 pm

1290 wrote:

... whatever.

Sorry Mate but as I said I was pretty pissed off !!!! Once again I'm sorry :roll: :cry: :roll:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by RDobber » 11 Sep 2014, 8:45 pm

Westy wrote:Well the issue was with the Tikka and it has been rectified today there were no Questions asked and the new one shoots like a charm, the set trigger is awesome to use and hopefully we can post some pics after this weekend. We went over the brass issue today and I hear what your saying Scott Thanx

That's what I'm talkin' bout!
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Centerfire rifles