Modern Ruger M77 Hawkeye barrel accuracy

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Modern Ruger M77 Hawkeye barrel accuracy

Post by pmomd » 30 Sep 2013, 3:21 pm

Hi guys,

I'm seeking some clarification on Ruger barrels and their accuracy as I have opportunity now to buy a near new M77 Hawkeye for a good price.

I've read a few reviews etc. and they're all over the place. Some's just opinion I'm sure, but the one bit of info I can't nail down is do Ruger making their own barrels or not, and what sort of accuracy I should realistically expect from a current production Hawkeye.

I gather through the years they've had some ups and downs with their barrel quality, just want to check where Ruger are at currently before I buy this current Hawkeye.

Cheers.
CZ 550 Varmint in .308 Winchester.
Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06 Springfield.
pmomd
Private
Private

Western Australia

Re: Modern Ruger M77 Hawkeye barrel accuracy

Post by Yelp » 01 Oct 2013, 10:56 am

Pretty sure the Ruger barrel issues where early 90's?

MKII target and current Hawkeyes are all good barrels AFAIK.
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Hercl » 01 Oct 2013, 11:19 am

Yelp wrote:MKII target and current Hawkeyes are all good barrels AFAIK.

That's it.

There were a few years there where Ruger were buying barrels instead of making their own and quality varied greatly.

You could buy two rifles on the same day and depending on your luck one could have a match grade barrel and one could be rubbish.

Like Yelp said, they went back to making their own barrels in the early 90's and their barrels have been consistent since then.

Assuming this "near new" rifle was made in the last few years it should be fine.
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 01 Oct 2013, 11:33 am

I have two Hawkeyes which are a couple of years old. A .243 which is completely stock and a .308 which is bedded (only because I crushed the stock :oops:, not because of accuracy problems).

Both shoot sub 1" groups with hand loads.

There are tonnes of know-it-alls bagging Rugers, though it seems most of them have never had one and are just parroting comments they read on the internet somewhere, probably from someone who's also never had one.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by inspector » 01 Oct 2013, 11:36 am

Lorgar wrote:There are tonnes of know-it-alls bagging Rugers, though it seems most of them have never had one and are just parroting comments they read on the internet somewhere, probably from someone who's also never had one.

Welcome to the internet. The home of "experts" who know bugger all.
inspector
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by ebr love » 01 Oct 2013, 11:43 am

There is a stigma about Ruger's being 'hit or miss' when it comes to accuracy due to barrel quality issues, but it's well out of date as explained above.

Obviously you're not going to get f-class accuracy out of a sporter, but the Hawkeye are a fine workhorse of a rifle.

If you can get one on the cheap, then all the better.
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles