New complete, or secondhand and fix?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

New complete, or secondhand and fix?

Post by jennageit » 20 Sep 2014, 5:09 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm purely asking for opinion, preferably based on personal experience.

I have two options for purchasing a rifle.

One is a complete setup. Rifle complete with scope, bipod, cleaning kit etc etc for just under $600.

One is a secondhand rifle, less than $250 that I would need to buy all of the accessories for.

I'm wanting a rifle suitable for picking off the many foxes around here, but I'm also really enjoying target shooting as well. I could never afford the Anschutz of my dreams, but I'm wondering if maybe I could spend time and money on an older one and work my way up to making it a really nice rifle.

What would you guys do, in the same situation?

At this stage, I have to pick one rifle and go with that, at least until finances allow me to purchase a second rifle.

Thanks in advance guys

Jenna

PS. Target is 50m Benchrest only at this stage.
Back from a break, and ready to shoot again :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: New complete, or secondhand and fix?

Post by MeccaOz » 20 Sep 2014, 11:26 pm

Heya Jenna, Just my opinion here, but I'd look at the quality of scope and stuff for the complete option, if it's got things on it you are pretty sure you will change out have a think. How second hand is the alternative ? Alot of second hand .22's will be fine, as they dont tend to wear out the barrel or throat, or beat up the action to much, if your unsure have a mate look at it, at least with that option you will be able to put all the "fruit" on it that you want. it's kinda 50/50 unless you know both guns and options mate
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by jennageit » 20 Sep 2014, 11:55 pm

Thanks mate for the advice.
The problem I have is that the secondhand one is in Qld.
I've emailed for more info, but I'm not sure how valuable that will be to me, given my limited knowledge.
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bunnybuster » 20 Sep 2014, 11:58 pm

Can you use it to see how it shoots ? if it produces a reasonable group,then the cosmetic work can come later,

usually the quality of the scope/mounts etc indicate the knowledge of the previous owner,but they might have just

been stuck on to sell .Look over the stock for deep dings,scratches etc,and the finish/blue on the steel will

tell you how well it was cared for,hope this helps a little,

Be Safe BB
bunnybuster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 21 Sep 2014, 1:00 am

jennageit wrote:Thanks mate for the advice.
The problem I have is that the secondhand one is in Qld.
I've emailed for more info, but I'm not sure how valuable that will be to me, given my limited knowledge.

Post up their email here mate ( names and stuff redacted of course ) and I'm sure people will chime in and give you their 2c worth :D
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Patrol66 » 21 Sep 2014, 7:27 am

What model is the new rifle and scope Jenna ? And my 2 cents re the cleaning kit, I bought two when I first got our rifles. The kits with the rods that screw together ( hate them ) I then spent more money on a one piece rod , much better.
If Dandenong isn't too far, try Armoury & Ammunition - Len Steel 9706 4037 . Top bloke very good for new people to shooting ( well, he answered all my silly question without batting an eyelid ) hehe.
Good luck with your search
Rem 700- 223, Marlin xt 22, Rem 700 - 30-06 ( not mine , but in my safe )
Patrol66
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 21 Sep 2014, 8:16 am

With the current prices its almost not worth buying a second handy unless you're really strapped.... in QLD Zastavas are going for $345!! wood, blue and open sight and a steel mag. Don't dismiss the zasty, they've been producing rifles for only a couple of hundred years, maybe longer....if you can get a local to come close to this price you're laughing!

I've seen a reference to Remington rebranding these as they did with the centrefire zastys.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 21 Sep 2014, 10:43 am

Hey Guys,

I was originally looking at the:

Zastava CZ99 .22lr Bunny Buster Package.
Extras are: (this info is pulled from the ad)
Burris Rimfire Scope
Burris .22 Rings +
Hy-Skor Bipod +
Nextorch 160 Lumens +
$595.00

I thought that this would be a great option, as it has everything I'll need, especially for shooting at home. No good at the rifle range though (so I've been told).

The anschutz on usedguns doesn't offer much information for me. (see yellow background picture). There's nothing extra with it, and not really any infor on it. All it says in the ad is Bolt/Single shot, great for target, plinking or small game.
$175

I'm still waiting for the guy to get back to me with some information.

Cost is the biggest issue for me. My budget is tight, and it would take me about eight or nine weeks to save for the Zastava. I don't mind waiting, but I want to make sure I put my money in the right place.

Jenna
Attachments
161003-2014-06-17_01-55-47-PM.JPG
Anschutz cheap
161003-2014-06-17_01-55-47-PM.JPG (12.69 KiB) Viewed 3224 times
CZ99.jpg
Zastava CZ99 .22lr
CZ99.jpg (7.91 KiB) Viewed 3224 times
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 21 Sep 2014, 11:58 am

Going by price alone; the complete package looks the better deal. By the time you add scope, mounts and a bipod you'll be getting close to the package price. Plus with the package you'd have a NEW rifle with warranty. Ask the dealer to include a cleaning kit too.
Cheers.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 21 Sep 2014, 12:01 pm

All you need to start punching foxes is a bare rifle... and a $4 box of ammo ;)
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 21 Sep 2014, 12:04 pm

I never thought of the warranty, thanks RoginaJack.

I reckon I'll just end up buying the Zastava and leave it at that. It's pretty obvious that I'm going to have to buy a dedicated target rifle in order to be competitive with target shooting. The guys at the club are happy for me to continue using all of their equipment whilst I'm target shooting, so maybe I'll have to just make a start, and then save up bit by bit.

Of course, if my back stays stable, I can go looking for work again, which will make it all that little bit easier!

Thanks for all the advice guys! :-D

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by whert » 21 Sep 2014, 7:17 pm

jennageit wrote:Of course, if my back stays stable, I can go looking for work again, which will make it all that little bit easier!

Yeah, how's that going. You've been all over the shop lately with it?
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 21 Sep 2014, 8:08 pm

It's touchy as hell but I'm being careful.

Lately it has been just on the verge of blowing up, but I've managed to keep it in check. I'm still off all the painkillers and nerve pain tablets too, which is fantastic.

I've also managed to start my exercises again, although very lightly. I started jogging again yesterday, only managed 200m before it started getting grumpy, so I walked another 800m.

Slowly but surely, I'll get the damn thing under control again! lol

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles