New Hornet rifle

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

New Hornet rifle

Post by headspace » 20 Sep 2014, 8:29 pm

I'm seriously thinking about getting a 22Hornet. I had thought about a 22rimfire, but I reckon the Hornet has a lot more going for it and you can reload it. No chance of a 22mag happening either. At the moment I'm thinking the Zastava Hornet looks like good value for money, anyone tried one?
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: New Hornet rifle

Post by MeccaOz » 20 Sep 2014, 9:32 pm

Havent tried the Zastava But two thumbs up for the ol Hornet mate
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 22 Sep 2014, 3:00 pm

Me either but had a Brno Hornet - beautiful, beautiful rifle. Have you considered getting in reamed out to a "K" or "Improved'? Actually the Hornet is making a bit of a comeback.
Cheers.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by MeccaOz » 22 Sep 2014, 3:09 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Me either but had a Brno Hornet - beautiful, beautiful rifle. Have you considered getting in reamed out to a "K" or "Improved'? Actually the Hornet is making a bit of a comeback.
Cheers.

Yeah I think so to mate, great little round and it's about the cheapest thing to reload you can get, I have been looking at the Ruger 22 Hornets myself.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by headspace » 22 Sep 2014, 4:24 pm

Definitely thinking about a K Hornet. I had one years back in a Brno Fox with double set triggers, absolutely great little rifle. Just be a bit careful about the Ruger mate, there's a couple on Used Guns, but I heard from a friend in the states they were not shooting all that well. he has a couple of Remington rifles that were made by Zastava and loves them. I had to get some spare parts for his rifles because they couldn't source them in the US. Berretta are the Australian importers for Zastava and they keep a good inventory of parts.
JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Sep 2014, 6:54 pm

Have u thought about a 222 or 223 and use light loads, u could then load to normal pressures/velocities if u had the need later?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MeccaOz » 22 Sep 2014, 7:26 pm

headspace wrote:Definitely thinking about a K Hornet. I had one years back in a Brno Fox with double set triggers, absolutely great little rifle. Just be a bit careful about the Ruger mate, there's a couple on Used Guns, but I heard from a friend in the states they were not shooting all that well. he has a couple of Remington rifles that were made by Zastava and loves them. I had to get some spare parts for his rifles because they couldn't source them in the US. Berretta are the Australian importers for Zastava and they keep a good inventory of parts.
JD

Thanks for the heads up on that mate, appreciated :)
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by mausermate » 22 Sep 2014, 9:37 pm

I have an Anschutz hunter and a Krico match rifle in 22 Hornet. Absolutely and totally fantastic. I love them both and such a wonderful little cartridge.
The Hornady Varmint Express 35gr V-MAX run at 3100 fps with a + 2.8'' at 100 yds and a 0.00 at 200yds -17 at 300 yds (sorry for the imperial, reading off the box). I use them a lot and they are great. I zero at 90m and Bunnies and Foxes don't stand a chance out to 200.
Reload with AR2205 and use a heap of different projectiles up to 50gr. Fiddley but fun to reload.
Watch out for some of the old Hornets. Some have .223 not .224 barrels. Not sure, just something I have heard.
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 23 Sep 2014, 3:03 am

mausermate wrote:I have an Anschutz hunter and a Krico match rifle in 22 Hornet. Absolutely and totally fantastic. I love them both and such a wonderful little cartridge.
The Hornady Varmint Express 35gr V-MAX run at 3100 fps with a + 2.8'' at 100 yds and a 0.00 at 200yds -17 at 300 yds (sorry for the imperial, reading off the box). I use them a lot and they are great. I zero at 90m and Bunnies and Foxes don't stand a chance out to 200.
Reload with AR2205 and use a heap of different projectiles up to 50gr. Fiddley but fun to reload.
Watch out for some of the old Hornets. Some have .223 not .224 barrels. Not sure, just something I have heard.

I think your right about the barrels mate, but I think there are also projies made especially for the hornet too in that particular diameter, but with a .224 diameter your options open wayyyy up.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 23 Sep 2014, 9:03 am

Yep, my Hornet had a .223 barrel, no worries and used Hornady "SX" projectiles. Great little rifle!
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by south » 23 Sep 2014, 11:24 am

MeccaOz wrote:and it's about the cheapest thing to reload you can get

Even compared to .223 being as common as it is?
south
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by headspace » 27 Sep 2014, 8:36 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Have u thought about a 222 or 223 and use light loads, u could then load to normal pressures/velocities if u had the need later?

I've already got a 223 mate, but I'm not keen on light loads for some reason. I have considered a 222 though. The 223 is a heavy barrel rifle and not ideal to carry too far. A 222 could be viable though.
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 27 Sep 2014, 8:39 pm

I'd be most likely getting a new rifle anyway so bore diameter should not be a problem. I just like that mini Mauser action on the Zastava.
JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 27 Sep 2014, 8:51 pm

What about the Weihrauch headspace real nice bit of kit even comes with the double set triggers you like!!!! :lol: :D :lol: I'd buy one in a heartbeat!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Gregg » 29 Sep 2014, 11:30 am

south wrote:Even compared to .223 being as common as it is?

Same projectiles, less powder per charge.

Plenty of shots out of the brass to get the savings from using less powder.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by headspace » 29 Sep 2014, 5:32 pm

Westy wrote:What about the Weihrauch headspace real nice bit of kit even comes with the double set triggers you like!!!! :lol: :D :lol: I'd buy one in a heartbeat!!!

Mate I had a look at one of those and they are a really nice rifle, good metal and timber but sadly not the mini Mauser I'm looking for. The other thing is that for the price of Weihrauch I can get 2 Zastava's, well almost. And that leaves plenty for some nice glass and ammo.
JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by chacka » 30 Sep 2014, 2:33 pm

re: Weihrauch, we were talking about that the other day... prices are getting out of hand :(
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by headspace » 30 Sep 2014, 9:50 pm

chacka wrote:re: Weihrauch, we were talking about that the other day... prices are getting out of hand :(

You're right there mate, my local has one for about $1300 and I really felt that that price the action was a bit stiff and to front lugs. Nice wood but for my money the Zastava is still the favourite. A mate in the US has a couple of Remington's that were made by Zastava and he loves them. The barrels are good quality and the wood is half decent walnut. What's not to like? As it's like to be a relatively short range rifle I'm thinking a scope in the 2-7 range would be good.

JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 30 Sep 2014, 9:55 pm

This is still pretty academic anyway at the moment. My new Montana ASR in 270W is just about here and I have a few things to fiddle with that. I'm putting my 4-12 Leopold on that after removing it from the 223, then probably getting a 6-18 or similar to go on the 223, which will be getting bedded next week. So until I get all that sorted the Hornet will have to wait, but you should always have a plan.
JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Shayla88 » 30 Sep 2014, 10:16 pm

headspace wrote:I'm seriously thinking about getting a 22Hornet. I had thought about a 22rimfire, but I reckon the Hornet has a lot more going for it and you can reload it. No chance of a 22mag happening either. At the moment I'm thinking the Zastava Hornet looks like good value for money, anyone tried one?

i have one of the Zastava Hornet and it goes really well and thought it was great value for money for me thats why i got one :)
Shayla88
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Post by headspace » 01 Oct 2014, 12:05 pm

OK Shayla, that settles it. I'll be getting a Zastava, just as soon as I can get all my other gear sorted. I will however have it re-chambered to a K Hornet.
John
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Kelix » 02 Oct 2014, 8:05 am

headspace wrote:OK Shayla, that settles it.

Shayla has spoken!

Commence buying!

:lol:
Kelix
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 02 Oct 2014, 8:11 pm

Yes, never disagree with a warrior Princess!
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by upup » 03 Oct 2014, 12:11 pm

Wasn't that Xena? :lol:
upup
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 03 Oct 2014, 9:11 pm

upup wrote:Wasn't that Xena? :lol:

yes, but she didn't have a 22 Hornet.
:P
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 08 Oct 2014, 7:27 pm

There's been a change of plan. I walked into my LGS this morning and they knew I'd been going on a bit about getting a Hornet. Anyway the nice lady asked my if I would consider a 222. I scratched around a bit and gave her a definite maybe. So sho pulls out this Zastava 222 with a scope about 6-18 and offers it for $490. I had a look and it was virtually brand new. Next thing I know the Hornet idea is out the window and I'm buying a 222. Funny how things change, but it actually felt just right. Now I'm researching loads for that.
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 08 Oct 2014, 7:53 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We all do that ,and why not sounds like a Bloody great deal to me!!!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by headspace » 08 Oct 2014, 9:23 pm

Westy, yes mate, seeing as how I was going to K the Hornet anyway, may as well go all the way plus the 222 a lot easier to load for.
JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by horter » 10 Oct 2014, 12:56 pm

headspace wrote:I had a look and it was virtually brand new. Next thing I know the Hornet idea is out the window and I'm buying a 222. Funny how things change, but it actually felt just right.

Go the .222! :D

+1
Ruger Hawkeye All Weather in .30-06
Sako L61R 7mm Rem Mag
Sako L461 Vixen .222 Rem
Savage 42 combination 22 WMR/410 bore
horter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 10 Oct 2014, 5:53 pm

I emailed Beretta about the composite stock on the Zastava and they tell me that they do not import the Mini Mauser in a synthetic, only walnut. head is being scratched about now.
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles