Tikka T3 hunter 500m accuracy

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Tikka T3 hunter 500m accuracy

Post by wayward » 22 Sep 2014, 4:07 pm

Hi,

I'm about ready to buy a new rifle. I've had an old (abused) handed down Ruger which isn't great, I'm looking to get something that will last me and be my one rifle.

At the moment heavily leaning towards a T3 Hunter in .308.

I know it's not a target rifle but Tikka have a reputation for accuracy. Can anyone with one tell me what kind of accuracy is the best I can hope for at 500m?

I do need to stay with the sporter models, and not a varmint/heavy barrel is it will mostly be for carry hunting. But I'll be dong some fun target shooting.

Thanks for any info guys.
wayward
Private
Private

Western Australia

Re: Tikka T3 hunter 500m accuracy

Post by Warrigul » 22 Sep 2014, 5:36 pm

wayward wrote:Hi,

I'm about ready to buy a new rifle. I've had an old (abused) handed down Ruger which isn't great, I'm looking to get something that will last me and be my one rifle.

At the moment heavily leaning towards a T3 Hunter in .308.

I know it's not a target rifle but Tikka have a reputation for accuracy. Can anyone with one tell me what kind of accuracy is the best I can hope for at 500m?

I do need to stay with the sporter models, and not a varmint/heavy barrel is it will mostly be for carry hunting. But I'll be dong some fun target shooting.

Thanks for any info guys.

Every single one I have had anything to do with has been capable of shooting less than an inch at 100m, including the sporters.

This leads to a theoretical 5" group at 500m but this is seldom achieved as the shooter, scope, rest and ammunition often aren't up to this standard. Also the sporters do heat up a bit so groups should be shot slowly.

I think anyone buying a Tikka can be confident they are getting an accurate rifle out of the box.

Just my humble opinions but I am also a well known Tikka fan.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Chronos » 22 Sep 2014, 5:39 pm

hi wayward

i recently bought a used Tikka Hunter stainless fluted as a walk around hunting gun, I fitted a Leupold VXii 3-9X40 in Game reaper mounts to keep weight down .

Using factory ammo the rifle surprised me shooting the Federal 130gr hollow points into a 3 shot group under 1" at 200y off a benchrest and into a 3 shot group under 1 1/2" at 200y off a bipod. Both Remmington and federal 150gr SP factory ammo shot a fair bit worse, maybe 3" at 200y and a quick rushed test of hand loads shot worse than the 130's too so I haven't gone back to test more loads

the reality is that such a light rifle kicks a fair bit off the bench with the 150grainers and the skinny barrel heats up quick. at some point i'll do a 10 shot string and see where the muzzle wanders off too but as a hunting gun i'm not that concerned .

here's two pics of the 130gr groups from my range day, note the targets say 200m but the range is actually 200y. both groups were chronographed at just short of 3000fps

Chronos

Edit: FYI the thread on my rifle is here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1796

Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 22 Sep 2014, 9:13 pm

Not quite the answer to your question but I have a Tikka Fluted Hunter in 7mm-08, almost your .308... Shoots under 0.4MOA at 100m. It's a hunting rifle for me so I haven't really done much group testing at longer distances than that TBH.

There is a metal plate at my local range at 500m though which I estimate is about 40cm? I'm just screwing around for fun with pot shots at it, never measured my groups, but once zeroed for the distance it hits the plate every time with heavy pills. Not that 40cm is a good group by any means but I can say it's inside that size and hey, if it's fun your looking for at the range that still does it for me ;)

*plink plink*
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles