Tikka hardly a cheap Sako

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Tikka hardly a cheap Sako

Post by sarki » 02 Oct 2013, 2:06 pm

Having had a good Browning for years, I've not really had a serious look at other rifles beyond just eyeballing them on the shelf at my local gun store.

After much insistence from a mate that I check out the Tikkas as they are "cheap sakos" I gave them a look.

Can't say I know what all the fuss is about. Admittedly I was handling them in the store, not shooting them in the field, so I've only seen one side of them, but a "cheap sako"? Hardly.

Look and feel are immediately lacking in the Tikka compare to an "equivalent" Sako.

Bit disappointed after all the hype over Tikka. Can't really see what all the fuss is about...
Dear Santa,
Please bring me a Desert Tactical Arms SRS-A1 Rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum.
I'll be good with it, I promise!
sarki
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Tikka hardly a cheap Sako

Post by Blackened » 02 Oct 2013, 2:37 pm

IMO Tikka owners do give the T3 too much credit when comparing them Sako.

To be fair though they're a grand less than Sako. I'd blame you're mates hype rather than Tikka not living up to it.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by brisb » 02 Oct 2013, 2:39 pm

Aren't their barrels manufactured the same?

Same accuracy but less cost due to the other parts of the rifle?
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by inervate » 02 Oct 2013, 2:45 pm

brisb wrote:Aren't their barrels manufactured the same?

Same accuracy but less cost due to the other parts of the rifle?

I was under the impression they share some manufacturing stages, but things like the bolt and receiver were still different? Different stocks etc.
Weatherby Varmintmaster .224 Wby Mag
Tikka T3 Hunter Fluted 30-06
Marlin 57M Levermatic .22 Win Mag
inervate
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Aussier » 02 Oct 2013, 2:47 pm

inervate wrote:I was under the impression they share some manufacturing stages, but things like the bolt and receiver were still different? Different stocks etc.

Soooo, completely different rifle then? :P
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by ebr love » 02 Oct 2013, 2:52 pm

Judged on it's own merits a Tikka is a fine rifle.

I agree that a lot of the hype though is Tikka owners talking it up to justify their decision to buy one :)
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Hercl » 02 Oct 2013, 2:57 pm

Aussier wrote:Soooo, completely different rifle then? :P

I reckon. Between having a different receiver, different machining, different stock materials, different range of rifles etc. you couldn't call them "The same, except for...".

There is nothing but "except for..."

They're an affordable rifle and quality is reflected in the price.

Nothing wrong with them, but they're not Sako's.
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by chacka » 02 Oct 2013, 3:32 pm

Smooth actions in the Tikka which I give them points for.

Can't say I rate their stocks though.
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Khan » 02 Oct 2013, 3:38 pm

Chacka,

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you like Winchester? :P
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by mel » 02 Oct 2013, 8:20 pm

Having owned 1 Tikka (and sold it) I totally agree, hated it and will never buy another one!!
mel
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by chacka » 02 Oct 2013, 8:46 pm

Khan wrote:I'm going to take a wild guess and say you like Winchester? :P

*gasp* you are psychic!
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Hardcast » 06 Oct 2013, 11:15 am

I think the problem with this conversation might lie with the fact that a lot of people hadn't heard of Tikka until about ten years ago.

Therefore they base their analysis on the modern Tikka, the plastic fantastic.

There's plenty of Custom builds based on Tikka actions, M55, M658 and the T3.

They make a plastic stock, a laminated stock, a Timber stock, I doubt they all are no good.

How many times do you here, Marlins are rubbish, Savage are cheap and nasty, Remington used to be good, Howa's are only cheap Weatherby's.
Tasco are rubbish, Redfield are only cheap Luepolds...

I buy what ever suits my needs, accuracy is high on the list, easy to handle, (left handed) reasonably priced, works well on a very hot day.

I bought Tikka because they were the most reasonably priced Left handed rifle avaliable at the time, with a good report.

If it had of been Weatherby or Reminton I'd probably have three of those by now.

Are Tikkas cheap Sakos? According to the website they are owned by Sako, have some Sako made parts, so I guess they are.

Honestly guys, are Mustangs better than Corvettes, ? no bloody way mate. :o
Hardcast
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Hercl » 06 Oct 2013, 4:54 pm

Hardcast wrote:Are Tikkas cheap Sakos? According to the website they are owned by Sako, have some Sako made parts, so I guess they are.

That's like saying a Volkswagen Golf is a cheap Aston Martin Vanquish because Volkswagen owns AM. Same company at some level doesn't equal same quality products all the way down.

Hardcast wrote:I bought Tikka because they were the most reasonably priced Left handed rifle avaliable at the time, with a good report.

And that's fair enough...

I'm not bagging Tikka at all, it's just the more you speak to *some* Tikka owners the smaller the gap gets between the two rifles.

After a couple of conversations with them the bottom of the line Tikka is somehow the same as a top of the line Sako.

Like I said above, They're an affordable rifle and quality is reflected in the price.

Judge them on their own merits like EBR said... any comparison to Sako shouldn't have anything to do with it.
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harts » 06 Oct 2013, 4:59 pm

Hardcast wrote:How many times do you here, Marlins are rubbish, Savage are cheap and nasty, Remington used to be good, Howa's are only cheap Weatherby's. Tasco are rubbish, Redfield are only cheap Leupolds...

Yep, everything's crap except the guy the guy complaining has :lol:
Harts
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by TPCKRT » 09 Oct 2013, 7:05 am

ive got one tikka. and its not a bad rifle. its not a fantastic rifle but i can see why theyre good for the majority. its definately no sako its maybe on par with the sako a7 but even thats got a few features that are above the tikkas.
Never Point Your Firearm At Something Your Not Willing To Shoot...
.177 - .22 - .204 - .300wm - 12g
Current Score:
7x Cats 65x Foxes 4x Fallow
TPCKRT
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Aster » 09 Oct 2013, 9:52 am

TPCKRT wrote:...maybe on par with the sako a7 but even thats got a few features that are above the tikkas.

Pretty sure that was the idea of the A7 - To make a Sako at Tikka prices so more people could afford the brand.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by TPCKRT » 09 Oct 2013, 11:37 am

Aster wrote:
TPCKRT wrote:...maybe on par with the sako a7 but even thats got a few features that are above the tikkas.

Pretty sure that was the idea of the A7 - To make a Sako at Tikka prices so more people could afford the brand.

yeah probably.
Never Point Your Firearm At Something Your Not Willing To Shoot...
.177 - .22 - .204 - .300wm - 12g
Current Score:
7x Cats 65x Foxes 4x Fallow
TPCKRT
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Norton » 09 Oct 2013, 12:39 pm

Aster wrote:To make a Sako at Tikka prices so more people could afford the brand.

I reckon it was so Tikka owners would buy one then shutup about their own rifles :lol:
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by oohsam » 09 Oct 2013, 2:52 pm

You can't compare a Tikka to a Sako.
You were never meant to.

I own a Tikka T3. And I can vouch for it, it's a fine fine rifle, and its ridiculously accurate (or that may just be me!)
The action is silky smooth and for the price, Its a great package, and highly customisable.
I've never heard of anyone having accuracy issues with their Tikka, but that doesn't mean it does not happen.

There are parts of it that I hate, like the plastic shroud and the plastic mag. Both of which I have changed.

I'll be buying another one, this time in a 30-06 as my deer rifle. I was going to buy a Sako, but when you compare $2800 to just over a grand....and they both just as well as each other, (and the T3 is lighter...) its hard to pass it up.
http://gunhunter.com.au
Email alerts for used guns, Get an email when a gun/rifle you're looking for is listed. Instantly.
oohsam
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Yelp » 09 Oct 2013, 5:05 pm

oohsam wrote:You can't compare a Tikka to a Sako.
You were never meant to.

Doesn't stop people though :?
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by ap2727 » 10 Oct 2013, 3:18 am

The only people who refer to Tikkas as cheap SAKOs are those who do not want to spend the extra cash on a Sako.

Two friends of mine recently bought a new Sako and a new Tikka.

Honestly, You cannot compare the two.

That is not saying the Tikka is a bad rifle, the one I've looked at recently, is accurate and serves my mate's needs perfectly. It is a .223 Rem but I think all the Tikkas use a 30/06 length action.

Having said all that, I have 4 SAKOs in my safe, no Tikkas.
ap2727
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 10 Oct 2013, 6:58 am

Or maybe the Sakos are just over rated IMHO,if it can shoot !\2 " MOA then it'll do me!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by sarki » 10 Oct 2013, 7:53 am

Yelp wrote:Doesn't stop people though :?

Tell me about it :roll:
Dear Santa,
Please bring me a Desert Tactical Arms SRS-A1 Rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum.
I'll be good with it, I promise!
sarki
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Aster » 10 Oct 2013, 7:56 am

Westy wrote:Or maybe the Sakos are just over rated IMHO,if it can shoot !\2 " MOA then it'll do me!

Mmmm, I wouldn't say over rated. Craftsmanship plays a part in value as well as accuracy.

In terms of price though they are (in my opinion) at the upper limit of what you'd want to pay for such a rifle.

If they were any more expensive I'd agree with you.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by ap2727 » 10 Oct 2013, 10:25 am

Its like comparing a Landcruiser with a Pajero. Both get the job done, one maybe a bit better than the other. No big deal. I don't have a Landcruiser.
ap2727
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by keen » 10 Oct 2013, 10:32 am

ap2727 wrote:Its like comparing a Landcruiser with a Pajero. Both get the job done, one maybe a bit better than the other. No big deal. I don't have a Landcruiser.

As long as you don't follow up that sentence with "Pajero's are cheap Landcruiser's", great :lol:
Henry .22LR Lever Action
.308 Howa Sporter
keen
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by kram » 11 Oct 2013, 7:16 pm

The only common denominator between the two is the barrel and is the reason why Tikkas do shoot well. It is with the rest of the rifle where the difference in quality and workmanship lets you know that, A. you saved over a grand or more and are still shooting clover leafs or, B. you are shooting clover leafs with a class item that oozes quality. I'd buy the Tikka again in a heartbeat and spend the extra 1-1.4k on quality glass.
kram
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Combat_Wombat » 16 Mar 2014, 10:09 pm

The only problem I have seen with Tikkas was a .223 with a synthetic stock dropping it's magazine once in every 5 shots or so and it seemed to lock in just fine... Saying that I don't have anything against them but can't see myself buying one any time soon

Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 .44Mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 17 Mar 2014, 5:43 am

I've owned a pair of tikka's and would buy another.

Are they "better" than a Sako, no. How could they be they cost nearly half as much. Why do people even compare them. It's like saying "my SS commodore is nearly as fast as your Ferrari" bang for buck I suppose.

But does a tikka fill a market position? Yes. Even more so when the Aussie dollar was string and you could buy a lite for $890 with a great trigger and detachable mag.

My next one will be a hunter stainless. Because at its price point its a nice enough looking rifle and I know it will perform. Couldn't justify spending the extra or a Sako unless I had lots of cash lying around

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Joom » 17 Mar 2014, 7:33 am

I think a nice new Sako rifle will be my retirement present to myself :lol:
Remington 700 and... Who needs another rifle?
Joom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles