Tikka hardly a cheap Sako

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Tikka hardly a cheap Sako

Post by oohsam » 09 Oct 2013, 2:52 pm

You can't compare a Tikka to a Sako.
You were never meant to.

I own a Tikka T3. And I can vouch for it, it's a fine fine rifle, and its ridiculously accurate (or that may just be me!)
The action is silky smooth and for the price, Its a great package, and highly customisable.
I've never heard of anyone having accuracy issues with their Tikka, but that doesn't mean it does not happen.

There are parts of it that I hate, like the plastic shroud and the plastic mag. Both of which I have changed.

I'll be buying another one, this time in a 30-06 as my deer rifle. I was going to buy a Sako, but when you compare $2800 to just over a grand....and they both just as well as each other, (and the T3 is lighter...) its hard to pass it up.
http://gunhunter.com.au
Email alerts for used guns, Get an email when a gun/rifle you're looking for is listed. Instantly.
oohsam
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Yelp » 09 Oct 2013, 5:05 pm

oohsam wrote:You can't compare a Tikka to a Sako.
You were never meant to.

Doesn't stop people though :?
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by ap2727 » 10 Oct 2013, 3:18 am

The only people who refer to Tikkas as cheap SAKOs are those who do not want to spend the extra cash on a Sako.

Two friends of mine recently bought a new Sako and a new Tikka.

Honestly, You cannot compare the two.

That is not saying the Tikka is a bad rifle, the one I've looked at recently, is accurate and serves my mate's needs perfectly. It is a .223 Rem but I think all the Tikkas use a 30/06 length action.

Having said all that, I have 4 SAKOs in my safe, no Tikkas.
ap2727
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 10 Oct 2013, 6:58 am

Or maybe the Sakos are just over rated IMHO,if it can shoot !\2 " MOA then it'll do me!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by sarki » 10 Oct 2013, 7:53 am

Yelp wrote:Doesn't stop people though :?

Tell me about it :roll:
Dear Santa,
Please bring me a Desert Tactical Arms SRS-A1 Rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum.
I'll be good with it, I promise!
sarki
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Aster » 10 Oct 2013, 7:56 am

Westy wrote:Or maybe the Sakos are just over rated IMHO,if it can shoot !\2 " MOA then it'll do me!

Mmmm, I wouldn't say over rated. Craftsmanship plays a part in value as well as accuracy.

In terms of price though they are (in my opinion) at the upper limit of what you'd want to pay for such a rifle.

If they were any more expensive I'd agree with you.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by ap2727 » 10 Oct 2013, 10:25 am

Its like comparing a Landcruiser with a Pajero. Both get the job done, one maybe a bit better than the other. No big deal. I don't have a Landcruiser.
ap2727
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by keen » 10 Oct 2013, 10:32 am

ap2727 wrote:Its like comparing a Landcruiser with a Pajero. Both get the job done, one maybe a bit better than the other. No big deal. I don't have a Landcruiser.

As long as you don't follow up that sentence with "Pajero's are cheap Landcruiser's", great :lol:
Henry .22LR Lever Action
.308 Howa Sporter
keen
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by kram » 11 Oct 2013, 7:16 pm

The only common denominator between the two is the barrel and is the reason why Tikkas do shoot well. It is with the rest of the rifle where the difference in quality and workmanship lets you know that, A. you saved over a grand or more and are still shooting clover leafs or, B. you are shooting clover leafs with a class item that oozes quality. I'd buy the Tikka again in a heartbeat and spend the extra 1-1.4k on quality glass.
kram
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Combat_Wombat » 16 Mar 2014, 10:09 pm

The only problem I have seen with Tikkas was a .223 with a synthetic stock dropping it's magazine once in every 5 shots or so and it seemed to lock in just fine... Saying that I don't have anything against them but can't see myself buying one any time soon

Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 .44Mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 17 Mar 2014, 5:43 am

I've owned a pair of tikka's and would buy another.

Are they "better" than a Sako, no. How could they be they cost nearly half as much. Why do people even compare them. It's like saying "my SS commodore is nearly as fast as your Ferrari" bang for buck I suppose.

But does a tikka fill a market position? Yes. Even more so when the Aussie dollar was string and you could buy a lite for $890 with a great trigger and detachable mag.

My next one will be a hunter stainless. Because at its price point its a nice enough looking rifle and I know it will perform. Couldn't justify spending the extra or a Sako unless I had lots of cash lying around

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Joom » 17 Mar 2014, 7:33 am

I think a nice new Sako rifle will be my retirement present to myself :lol:
Remington 700 and... Who needs another rifle?
Joom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 17 Mar 2014, 7:59 pm

sarki wrote:Having had a good Browning for years, I've not really had a serious look at other rifles beyond just eyeballing them on the shelf at my local gun store.

After much insistence from a mate that I check out the Tikkas as they are "cheap sakos" I gave them a look.

Can't say I know what all the fuss is about. Admittedly I was handling them in the store, not shooting them in the field, so I've only seen one side of them, but a "cheap sako"? Hardly.

Look and feel are immediately lacking in the Tikka compare to an "equivalent" Sako.

Bit disappointed after all the hype over Tikka. Can't really see what all the fuss is about...

I bought one because I wanted stainless/synthetic, as light as possible and didn't want to have to upgrade anything to get a decent accurate rifle. It gets lent out and used in all weather, the purpose it was bought for would severely damage a wooden stocked/blued SAKO.

I couldn't have cared less that they were a cheap sako or whatever but is a SAKO worth a couple of grand more? Not for what I need it for.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by SendIt » 18 Mar 2014, 7:38 am

Buying something nice like a Sako seems like the worst option for some guys.

They buy the thing then spend more time worrying and protecting it against any little scratch or ding than they do shooting it.

I've got a Sako hunter and it gets cared for. But first and foremost it gets used!
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 18 Mar 2014, 9:29 am

SendIt wrote:Buying something nice like a Sako seems like the worst option for some guys.

They buy the thing then spend more time worrying and protecting it against any little scratch or ding than they do shooting it.

I've got a Sako hunter and it gets cared for. But first and foremost it gets used!

Yep ultimately a firearm is a tool and many forget that.

I have art on the walls worth thousands to look at, my rifles(apart from the collectible ones) are, mainly, tools.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles