Best left handed rifle advice?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Best left handed rifle advice?

Post by Macca » 30 Sep 2014, 12:08 am

Hi,
i currently have just an rifle and a CZ .22 and am looking to upgrade to something with a bit more power (no more than $1500). I'm thinking getting a left handed Tikka T3 hunter stainless fluted barrel, does anyone have any experiences with this rifle or know of another similar rifle that i should go for instead. I just love the look of the stainless fluted barrel with the wooden stock!

also what would be a more suitable calibre out of a .223 or .308. i shot a .308 the other day and it seemed a bit of an overkill and my main concern is price as i like to shoot a lot of rounds down range. what is the price difference between these two calibre's here in Australia?
any advise would be great thanks:)

here a link to the pic http://www.tikka.fi/t3models.php?huntersfb
:)
Macca
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Best left handed rifle advise?

Post by MeccaOz » 30 Sep 2014, 4:34 am

Cant say Ive used the left handed version, but Tikka's are very good quality rifles. If it were me I'd look for the rifle I wanted and usually there will be a left handed version ( But not always ). As for which caliber, really that depends on what you will be shooting. To me listening to what you have said I'd lean toward .223, but there are plenty of alternate calibers in that range.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by wrenchman » 30 Sep 2014, 6:27 am

Savage and ruger and Remington all make left hand guns here I just got my son a ruger
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by 1290 » 30 Sep 2014, 7:05 am

Are you asking whether tikka is the best left handed rifle?? It seems you might be set on it.... as most other makes prodice a left handed rifle, levers are easier for lefties (than a right handed rifle) if you'll consider other than bolt actions...

Sounds like you like to plink, so second to a rimfire, would be a 223 in centrefire for economic shooting (discounting the low-po tiny tots), especially if you reload..

Dont go past Savage, they have every combo available, wood/plastic, stainless/blue, long barrel/short, target/sporter, DBM/internal mag, brake/no brake, sights/clean...

Ultimately, all the off the rack rifles will pretty much do the same thing for you
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Shotfox » 30 Sep 2014, 8:40 am

Macca wrote:Hi,
i currently have just an rifle and a CZ .22 and am looking to upgrade to something with a bit more power (no more than $1500). I'm thinking getting a left handed Tikka T3 hunter stainless fluted barrel, does anyone have any experiences with this rifle or know of another similar rifle that i should go for instead. I just love the look of the stainless fluted barrel with the wooden stock!

also what would be a more suitable calibre out of a .223 or .308. i shot a .308 the other day and it seemed a bit of an overkill and my main concern is price as i like to shoot a lot of rounds down range. what is the price difference between these two calibre's here in Australia?
any advise would be great thanks:)

here a link to the pic http://www.tikka.fi/t3models.php?huntersfb

Hi Macca. I have this rifle (Tikka .223 ) but in right hand version. I am left handed shooter however when I was a kid learning to shoot there was no left handed rifle versions available so over many years of shooting I am used to right handed bolt actions. For me it feels odd loading left handed because of my experiance. I choose this rifle because of it quality in the price bracket and I am very happy with its performance. The only other thing about the right handed version is the re-sale value. Right handed versions far out sell left handed versions so that might be something to consider making your purcahse.
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RDobber » 30 Sep 2014, 10:14 am

Can't got past a Tikka.

Good rifle regardless, left handed options is just a bonus for south paws ;)
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Tiiger » 30 Sep 2014, 1:55 pm

Macca wrote:what is the price difference between these two calibre's here in Australia?

Pretty sure the price doesn't change between the rifles themselves in the different calibres.

.223 ammo is about 30% cheaper than .308 to shoot?
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lyam » 30 Sep 2014, 1:59 pm

Macca wrote:also what would be a more suitable calibre out of a .223 or .308. i shot a .308 the other day and it seemed a bit of an overkill and my main concern is price as i like to shoot a lot of rounds down range.

Suitable for what? Overkill for what?

.223 and .308 are both accurate rounds.

.223 will be cheaper.

.308 is a better long range cartridge - how far will you be shooting?

If you're shooting 100 to 400 metre I'd say .223? If you're shooting 500m and further I'd say .308.

Any hunting planned? For what? Or just target shooting?
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 30 Sep 2014, 6:07 pm

Yeah, I've got a Tikka T3 L.H. Lite in .243Win and am very happy with it. I'm only hunting with it and shots are 40 - 120 meters/yds. - can't see much further than that around this area.
For the bush and hunting, can't see the point in paying extra for a stainless set up, then wrapping the barrel in camo, tape.
If you are going to use it just on the range, I'd get the rifle with the heaviest barrel profile you can find.
As for calibre, if you'r just going to punch holes in paper targets either .223 or .308Win, your choice.
Cheers,
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Re: Best left handed rifle advice?

Post by handofcod » 30 Sep 2014, 6:52 pm

Have used both left handed Tikkas and Rugers. Both are excellent. I give quality and hardiness to Ruger, accuracy to Tikka.
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bennybigbores » 30 Sep 2014, 7:28 pm

I'd go a tikka t3 tactical .243 if I had the coin settled for a howa and was not disappointed if anything the opposite, they do really accurate platforms worth a look for the price , 1/2 inch groups at 150m with sh!t optics. They give many options also build your rifle to suit your need , spoter, fluted, varmint, light, blued, stainless, option of stocks, mounts, mag kits, I'm buying another one or even two, next one be a fluted thumbhole .204Ruger, then possibly a light weight carbine axiom .308. Any who enough of my dribble, have a look at them you won't be disappointed, only thing I varied was a $50 trigger job
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wedge » 30 Sep 2014, 8:42 pm

I recently bought a left handed Tikka 222 for hunting - chose it mainly because the trigger is easily adjustable and having spent some time at the bench I like the trigger to be light. I haven't hunted with it yet and may turn it up a bit from the minimum when I do.

As a left hander I would say shooting right handed actions off the bench is my preference - easy enough to cycle the bolt when the rifle is on a bag/rest and you can check the chamber and single load without leaving your seat. And I found my Tikka Hunter (blued barrel version) to jump around a bit when bench shooting - hard to compare to my 10lb rimfire which hardly moves but it wouldn't be my first choice if target was the main game.

I handled the X-bolt and the CZ but preferred the Tikka stock to both those too. I like the safety on the Ruger but couldn't find what I wanted (laminated stock) in left hand.

Good luck with your purchase.
Wedge
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by squirrelhunter » 02 Oct 2014, 3:43 pm

Wedge wrote:I like the safety on the Ruger but couldn't find what I wanted (laminated stock) in left hand.

The 3 positions safety is one of the features I really like in the Ruger.

The best option IMO in that respect.
Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308
Bushnell 3-9x 40mm - Multi-X
squirrelhunter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by handofcod » 02 Oct 2014, 3:45 pm

squirrelhunter wrote:
Wedge wrote:I like the safety on the Ruger but couldn't find what I wanted (laminated stock) in left hand.

The 3 positions safety is one of the features I really like in the Ruger.

The best option IMO in that respect.

Yep definitely ironclad. A friends howa had his safety flick off accidentially just because it brushed against some foliage. No chance of that happening withe Ruger.
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bennybigbores » 02 Oct 2014, 6:50 pm

I've had both and well I couldn't say I prefer either as I never use the safety on any rifle, my safety is a disengaged bolt, or empty chamber, and that quiet useful finger on my right hand
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by squirrelhunter » 03 Oct 2014, 12:02 pm

Agree that the best safety is an empty chamber, the thing I like about the Ruger is the second position where you can manipulate the bolt and load/unload cartridges with the safety on.

Better than just 'hot or not' options with 2 position safety. IMO.
Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308
Bushnell 3-9x 40mm - Multi-X
squirrelhunter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles