Hypothetically, which gun for home defence?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Hypothetically, which gun for home defence?

Post by MeccaOz » 03 Oct 2014, 5:06 pm

With the cops in the news wanting to hold on to there guns 24x7 ( which there not supposed to, since there not supposed to have any more rights than regular citizens ), a few people have piped up asking for guns for the legitimate reason of home defence.

Given our current laws, what would you choose for such a job ?
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Re: So Hypothetically Which Gun ?

Post by Chronos » 03 Oct 2014, 5:26 pm

i'm not a big fan of the concept of personal defense firearms nor CC/OC. that said if i thought i need to use any of my firearms to defend myself or my family inside my home my new .44mag lever gun would be hard to beat. holds 10 rounds, is powerful, fast handling and has a secondary use as a club

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 03 Oct 2014, 5:34 pm

I was thinking a 357 lever myself Or a short barrelled S x S 12G. To be honest I am a fan of home defence, for the simple reason that pricks do do home invasions, and alot more than people realise. Not being a conspiracy nut here, but our media is given very selectively stories by the cops, because the cops worry it may cause a panic, and also Australia being small, how hard it would hit communities. Personally I think they just dont want to look bad, and like to look in control completely.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Baldrick314 » 03 Oct 2014, 6:34 pm

I'd choose a shotgun. I read a heap of US gun mags and in a fair few of the issues there's debates about this exact topic and they've got me convinced 12G is the way to go for home defence.

Less chance of over penetration through walls, spread of shot (depending on load/ choke) means aiming can be less precise which is good in high pressure situations.

Also one of the magazines did a comparison of terminal performance between a 12G load and a 45 load and the 12G came out on top.
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 03 Oct 2014, 6:41 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:I'd choose a shotgun. I read a heap of US gun mags and in a fair few of the issues there's debates about this exact topic and they've got me convinced 12G is the way to go for home defence.

Less chance of over penetration through walls, spread of shot (depending on load/ choke) means aiming can be less precise which is good in high pressure situations.

Also one of the magazines did a comparison of terminal performance between a 12G load and a 45 load and the 12G came out on top.

But our gun laws mean you may be restricted to 2 shells.

Also doesn't matter what choke you fit to a 12g at 3 m everything's going into a 1" group, not the width of the hallway.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 03 Oct 2014, 6:45 pm

Chronos wrote:
Baldrick314 wrote:I'd choose a shotgun. I read a heap of US gun mags and in a fair few of the issues there's debates about this exact topic and they've got me convinced 12G is the way to go for home defence.

But our gun laws mean you may be restricted to 2 shells.

Also doesn't matter what choke you fit to a 12g at 3 m everything's going into a 1" group, not the width of the hallway.

Chronos

You could have a lever action with 6 or so :lol: That brings it's own problems with finicky reloads though

A 1" projectile mass still gives you a higher chance of getting a hit than a projectile half that size or less. Like I said "less precise" aiming, not just point it down the hallway and hit anything in there :lol:
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 03 Oct 2014, 6:47 pm

Some of the guys on youtube have the reloading of the S X S shotties down pat. They can really chew through the shells
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Baldrick314 » 03 Oct 2014, 6:50 pm

MeccaOz wrote:Some of the guys on youtube have the reloading of the S X S shotties down pat. They can really chew through the shells

Cowboy Action guys shred it haha
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 03 Oct 2014, 7:04 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:Cowboy Action guys shred it haha

Mate those guys have it in their muscle memory, some of them are amazing to watch.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by cavok » 03 Oct 2014, 8:08 pm

Home defence, why do we need home defence questions. Number 1 this from what I read above means having a loaded firearm in a FAMILY home? Not loaded.?
Shotgun, loaded, wife, children, all there, why would anyone invade your home, you have heaps of gold bullion in the rooms, drugs? If the front door is locked and the back door is locked at night, they break the glass window, a small window and squeeze in, armed with what? a knive, a gun, you confront them after you load the shotgun, (now where are the shells). The invader takes one of the children hostage, your wife, now what? Lock the front door, be safe. Someone comes into your home, entry point, how, could you shoot or is it going to be bluff. My question still is why would they visit your house, the next door neighbours looks just as classy, means nothing. Police may wish to keep theirs, pistols, kept locked, in a safe, safe from children, their addresses are kept confidential. Not good, it takes a great deal to actually shoot. Keeping all out after hours is a good start, nothing of value in the house all good. This topic take s a great deal of thinking about.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bennybigbores » 03 Oct 2014, 8:47 pm

12g 2 shots my asss, chiappa 7 shot 28" barrelled lever action, 7 shot of any type pigeon or ssg that's home defence. And in response to cavok I'd prefer to have time wasted in retrieving loading and then responding to what ever situation renders it necessary, knowing that regardless of what an intruder is armed with or there intent I now hold in my hands a powerfull tool of persuasion and negotiation, I hope to never have to shot someone and never intend to but the fact I have the option too if and when the situation arises suits me a dam sight better than standing there in my jocks holding a mag lite and a handful of nothing, and needless to say if at any point in fear full for the lives of my children and the moment arises 7 shots will remove that fear!
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 03 Oct 2014, 9:55 pm

I think that you would not need more than two shots in a home invasion. If you take a shot with a shotgun in close quarters any home invader would surely run for the hills. I know that anyone who doesn't run from someone who has shot at them must have bigger knockers than me because I'd be out of there like a bat out of hell! I reackon you guys might be underestimating how fast any home invader would get out of your house if you shot anywhere near them :lol:
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 03 Oct 2014, 10:17 pm

I think in nsw extended shotgun mag tubes are a no no, I know there are 8shot tubes I other states but they're not legal here

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Bennybigbores » 03 Oct 2014, 10:22 pm

Sorry chronos to confirm 7 shot chiappa is a five shot mag, one in carrier one in chamber, no dodgy mags or mods. Slam lever shut 7 shots on the go
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Combat_Wombat » 03 Oct 2014, 11:25 pm

I would say sawn off pump action would be my pick. Just the sound of someone racking the slide would be enough to cause the intruders pants with poo hahah
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 03 Oct 2014, 11:31 pm

There have been studys by them same mags shoot outs of home invasion is at adout 10 feet and only a couple shots are fired .
I would not fill under gunned with a sxs and it could be propped up with the chamber empty and rounds ready to grab if you need them.
At the o.k corral most of the deaths were from shot guns guess what side had them.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by ChicagoTed » 04 Oct 2014, 3:42 pm

IMG_0217.JPG
IMG_0217.JPG (98.03 KiB) Viewed 6043 times

this
IMG_0213.JPG
IMG_0213.JPG (77.1 KiB) Viewed 6043 times

or this
IMG_0218.JPG
IMG_0218.JPG (72.46 KiB) Viewed 6043 times

or both

5.55 is my go to for home defense,it doesn't penetrate dry wall very much because its very speedy and breaks up
but the glock is small and easy to go around corners.....hmmmm choices choices
but the high capacity assault banana clips for the AR are a bonus
mossberg 500
mosin 91/30
ar15 frankengun
glock 22 gen 4
ChicagoTed
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by MeccaOz » 04 Oct 2014, 3:44 pm

LOL !!!! OK I'm just jealous now :P :lol:
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by cavok » 04 Oct 2014, 4:37 pm

Surprised there is no H&K MP5, might find that a bit more handy and easy to manoeuvre.

SORRY my post was directed at Chicago Ted. Apologies.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 04 Oct 2014, 8:19 pm

Smith & Wesson 12Gauge Pump had one for years and it leaves no bad guys behind !!!! You might enter by sneaking in my back door but your leaving in the morticians van
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by ChicagoTed » 05 Oct 2014, 5:17 pm

cavok wrote:Surprised there is no H&K MP5, might find that a bit more handy and easy to manoeuvre.

SORRY my post was directed at Chicago Ted. Apologies.

simple answer

i dont have one yet :lol:
mossberg 500
mosin 91/30
ar15 frankengun
glock 22 gen 4
ChicagoTed
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Oct 2014, 6:15 pm

So hypothetically if you could have any thing in the way of firearms or tools to choose from,,,,,,,

1) One of those old Blunderbuss Scatter guns, loaded with nails and ball bearings ??
or,
2) A Trimming Axe
or,
3) A Baseball bat

:lol: :lol:

Or maybe this one,,,,,, ???
Attachments
100_1906.JPG
100_1906.JPG (230.83 KiB) Viewed 6013 times
Last edited by Die Judicii on 05 Oct 2014, 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by MeccaOz » 05 Oct 2014, 7:31 pm

Die Judicii wrote:So hypothetically if you could have any thing in the way of firearms or tools to choose from,,,,,,,

1) One of those old Blunderbuss Scatter guns, loaded with nails and ball bearings ??
or,
2) A Trimming Axe
or,
3) A Baseball bat

:lol: :lol:

Laffin ... I think a blunderbuss would do alright, down a hall way with a few dudes in it :lol:
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Yelp » 06 Oct 2014, 1:33 pm

I'm not sold on the idea of rifles for home defence.

Swinging one of those around through doors and hallways at night you'd be banging and getting caught up all sorts of s**t at my place. You'd end up dancing with the coat rack.

IMO, a sensible pistol would be best. Won't reignite a glock vs 1911 debate here but anything small, maneuverable, low recoil and low penetration for the safety of others. Take your pick of what you like exactly.
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Baldrick314 » 06 Oct 2014, 2:56 pm

Yelp wrote:Won't reignite a glock vs 1911 debate here

Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 06 Oct 2014, 3:08 pm

Chronos wrote:i'm not a big fan of the concept of personal defense firearms nor CC/OC. that said if i thought i need to use any of my firearms to defend myself or my family inside my home...

I'm not in favour of it being carte blanche but I do think something for home is appropriate.

Cutting and pasting something I said in another topic:

norton wrote:I wouldn't ask for anything like the American system of no questions asked concealed carry. But it could be done so easily here with some common sense.

Have a sensible licensing process to filter out convicted crims.
Have sensible storage requirements.
Make self defence at home a legitimate reason.

If it's a home defence pistol, it stays at home. If you get caught carrying it around, you get charged.

Addresses the problem of home defence, and there still aren't any "guns on the streets" and they are so fond of saying.

IMO.

More sensible than home defence with the .416R ;)
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by MeccaOz » 06 Oct 2014, 5:30 pm

Norton,

I think it's France where you can have a pistol for home defence, but it's never to leave the house.

I dunno, personally I think the 416R would be perfect for home defence..... If you were being robbed by elephants :lol:
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 06 Oct 2014, 5:41 pm

gct.jpg
gct.jpg (56.77 KiB) Viewed 5986 times
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Baldrick314 » 06 Oct 2014, 5:50 pm

MeccaOz wrote:
gct.jpg

Solid argument. +1
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 06 Oct 2014, 5:58 pm

MeccaOz wrote:
gct.jpg

Absolutely love your flow chart. PLEASE since it was enacted in 1958 WE have always been allowed to defend ourselves, as we are today. "A person may use such force". Please read the act understand the act and stop promoting this idea that we are just there to be lambs to the slaughter.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles