Hard to push patch through barrel

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Hard to push patch through barrel

Post by jays » 08 Oct 2014, 7:34 pm

Hi guys,

I bought some .308 pre-cut patches and it's pretty hard to push the patch through the barrel. Before when cutting my own I had them so there was contact in the barrel but you could pretty smoothly move the rod back and forth.

I'm using the loop kind of attachment for the cleaning rod and run the patch out the muzzle and back. With the pre-cut patches I have to hold the rifle with one hand and use a real firm grip to bring the patch through which I hadn't needed before, sometimes it's firm enough to stop mid-push and I have to give it a real push to finish it off.

Are these too tight? Or have I been cutting them too small before? :|

Thanks guys.
jays
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Hard to push patch through barrel

Post by Noisydad » 08 Oct 2014, 7:38 pm

Probably to big on the outside dimensions but still needs to be reasonably firm so that that cloth is pushed right into the grooves.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 08 Oct 2014, 9:50 pm

dry or wet? i find the dry patches a bit harder to push through, and you should need a good grip to push through(don"t bend the rod)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Shotfox » 09 Oct 2014, 6:17 am

The pre cut patches from Tera Gun etc are generally cut larger than required and there sometimes there is a need to trim them down.This is because they cover a calibre range rather than calibre specific. I tend to leave my cut patches in the cleaning soloution in a herb jar with a tight lid so they are ready to go at any time. If you have tight patches make sure your cleaning rod is one piece otherwise you will bend it where it joins together. Invest in a good cleaning rod as I am speaking from experiance.
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jays » 09 Oct 2014, 2:23 pm

tom604 wrote:dry or wet? i find the dry patches a bit harder to push through, and you should need a good grip to push through(don"t bend the rod)

Just wet so far. Solvent and oil.

Will run a dry patch through before the next shoot but haven't done that yet.
jays
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Seconds » 09 Oct 2014, 2:24 pm

A little resistance is normal.

As long as your not forced to push so far your bending the rod and pressing it hard along the rifling while working it, it should be all good.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rocker » 09 Oct 2014, 2:25 pm

You could always try switching to a jag instead of the loop as well.

Spreads the patch more evenly instead of a lump of cloth on 2 sides like the loops can do and get stuck with.
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Patrol66 » 10 Oct 2014, 4:49 pm

Ditto on the jag. Not a big fan of the loop style. I find the jag gives a better clean / lube. I too have to trim pre cut patches down at times
Rem 700- 223, Marlin xt 22, Rem 700 - 30-06 ( not mine , but in my safe )
Patrol66
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by The Brass » 11 Oct 2014, 11:52 am

Patrol66 wrote:Ditto on the jag. Not a big fan of the loop style. I find the jag gives a better clean / lube.

+1

I was using the loops to start but have switch to jag ages ago. Should have done it from the beginning.

More forgiving on patch sizes and a better clean. Most noticeably on my blued barrels which takes more work than the stainless to get the copper off of.

Switch to a jag.
The Brass
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 15 Oct 2014, 8:18 pm

I cut my patches from that 4x2 stuff in a big roll that the military use. I only use a jag and never pull it back through the muzzle, too much chance of crown damage. There needs to be a certain amount of resistance other wise the job isn't getting done right. Brush first then patch.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 16 Oct 2014, 7:59 am

I do it the cheap and easy way , Wrap style jag and a Big roll of chux towelling from Bunnings . Tear the squares lengthways into about 20 mm wide strips.

The good part is you can adjust the patch tension with more or less overlap on the wrap . Loose patch for washing out , applying oil or grease , tighter for cleaning out solvent .

If your bore is dry it will be harder to push a tight patch. If you have used moly coated bullets it will be very hard in a dry bore .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by jays » 16 Oct 2014, 8:41 pm

I picked up a jag bit today and trimmed a little off the edge of the patches and ran a few through.

Much better!

Just as clean as far as I can tell :)

Thanks to all for their replies.
jays
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles