How can I improve my Tikka T3

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

How can I improve my Tikka T3

Post by greenonion » 12 Oct 2014, 4:58 pm

Hi guys,

New shooter here, just got my license which has me pretty stoked and my first rifle is waiting at the gun shop for pickup :D

I've gone with a T3 Hunter in .270 Winchester. I know there are options like replacing the recoil lug and bedding it.

Are these worth doing for a rifle for hunting and non-competition target shooting?

Thanks guys.
greenonion
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: How can I improve my Tikka T3

Post by Chronos » 12 Oct 2014, 5:37 pm

In my opinion no, it will shoot accurately as is, don't stuff around and throw money at it trying to do something it's not designed to do

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Bennybigbores » 12 Oct 2014, 6:19 pm

:o Best option to improve your tikka is lift the scope off and slide a howa under it in place of the tikka. :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol: :roll:
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 12 Oct 2014, 6:23 pm

:D

Now that's funny!

;)

Chronos

Bennybigbores wrote::o Best option to improve your tikka is lift the scope off and slide a howa under it in place of the tikka. :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol: :roll:
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 13 Oct 2014, 7:46 am

For what you're doing (and I'm doing the same) I wouldn't bother with anything either.

I have a stock, Fluted Stainless T3 and it shoots under 0.4 MOA with hand loads.

I could replace the recoil and bed it or I could get 400 rounds for the same money so...
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by teekay0 » 13 Oct 2014, 9:20 am

Welcome

Mate unlike the cheap ass Jap crap Howa , the Tikka t3 shoots great outa the box.

Matching a great scope ,sling and bipod is all ya need for a hunting rifle like that.

Enjoy it when it comes
tk0
God Forgives All Trespasses , I dont I shoot them

Tikka Super Varmint .260rem Sightron SIII 8-32x56 LRMD
Savage Axis Camo .243w Redfield 3-9x42 D.N.S
Boito O/U 12 Ga
BSA SuperSport XL .22 4x40 Nikko Stirling
Mossberg H V 22lr 3-9x40 Bushnell
teekay0
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Shotfox » 13 Oct 2014, 10:12 am

greenonion wrote:Hi guys,

New shooter here, just got my license which has me pretty stoked and my first rifle is waiting at the gun shop for pickup :D

I've gone with a T3 Hunter in .270 Winchester. I know there are options like replacing the recoil lug and bedding it.

Are these worth doing for a rifle for hunting and non-competition target shooting?

Thanks guys.

There is not a lot you would need to do as the Tikka will shoot guranteed sub MOA out of the box and the trigger is set perfectly although you can adjust it. I have the same model Tikka in .223 , I have added a Harris bi-pod, decent leapold scope, sako picatinny rail with quick release rings and thats about it. Although I would reccomend an Atlas bi pod for 270 as it allows for recoil which the Harris does'nt but on the 223 it aint a real problem. there is you tube videos called "Tikka Shooters' which has some good info on modifications but as a new shooter the rifle will probably outperform your ability and will be just fine out of the box. Good choice hope you enjoy it.
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Combat_Wombat » 13 Oct 2014, 10:48 am

The expression if it ain't broke don't fix it comes to mind with the Tikkas.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by RDobber » 13 Oct 2014, 11:09 am

"How can I improve my Tikka T3?"

Practice ;)

The biggest improvement is with the shooter.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 13 Oct 2014, 1:57 pm

Bennybigbores wrote::o Best option to improve your tikka is lift the scope off and slide a howa under it in place of the tikka. :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol: :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was gonna say trade it in for a Sako, but that works too! ;) :D :P

In time you might want to bed it but as stated above, practice is probably the best improvement you can make.

One simple thing you can do is adjust the torque settings on your action screws. Buy a torque driver wrench and try the front and rear action screws at different torque settings from about 35 inch pounds up to about 50 inch pounds. Some rifles will shoot better with different torque settings to their factory friends and some will shoot better with one screw tighter than the other. Owning a torque driver will come in handy for firearms maintenance as well.

Only bother with this once you have good consistent groups and want to see if you can close them up a touch. Practice with it as is to begin with.

The other simple thing to do (or is easy not to do and cause problems) is make sure your scope and rings are installed correctly. Get some good advice on doing this and don't necessarily trust the gunshop to do it right for you; i've heard of some people being very frustrated with shop mounted scopes. Besides, it's one of those core skills you should learn as a shooter from early on.

Cheers.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by greenonion » 13 Oct 2014, 2:20 pm

RDobber wrote:Practice ;)

The biggest improvement is with the shooter.

So far I've got zero experience so that's top of the list :D
greenonion
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by greenonion » 13 Oct 2014, 2:21 pm

Thanks for answers guys.

Won't be trading anything :P I'm pleased to hear from people other than the salesman it should be a good shooter though :)
greenonion
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Chronos » 13 Oct 2014, 2:37 pm

Gwion wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was gonna say trade it in for a Sako, but that works too! ;) :D :P

In time you might want to bed it but as stated above, practice is probably the best improvement you can make.

One simple thing you can do is adjust the torque settings on your action screws. Buy a torque driver wrench and try the front and rear action screws at different torque settings from about 35 inch pounds up to about 50 inch pounds. Some rifles will shoot better with different torque settings to their factory friends and some will shoot better with one screw tighter than the other. Owning a torque driver will come in handy for firearms maintenance as well.

Only bother with this once you have good consistent groups and want to see if you can close them up a touch. Practice with it as is to begin with.

The other simple thing to do (or is easy not to do and cause problems) is make sure your scope and rings are installed correctly. Get some good advice on doing this and don't necessarily trust the gunshop to do it right for you; i've heard of some people being very frustrated with shop mounted scopes. Besides, it's one of those core skills you should learn as a shooter from early on.

Cheers.

Just a note, I'd be wary about going up to 50" lbs on a stock without pillars.

Other than that I agree practice us key, get to know the rifle and the ammo and you'll have less kisses and more meat on the table

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 13 Oct 2014, 5:04 pm

I've found 40'# on the rear screw and 35'# on the front screw seems to work really well on all of my ?tikkas!!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 13 Oct 2014, 5:19 pm

Chronos wrote:Just a note, I'd be wary about going up to 50" lbs on a stock without pillars.

Chronos

Very fair point.

I just checked one of my reference books and it suggests 35"/lb -40"lb for an un-bedded plastic stock with no pillars, so Westie's tip on his Tikkas' torque setting sound's like it's on the money.

My Howa shot pretty well with similar setting when it was in the Hogues stock.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Return to Centerfire rifles