M&P Review or Amazing the Difference Good Ammo Can Make

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

M&P Review or Amazing the Difference Good Ammo Can Make

Post by Eduardo » 14 Oct 2014, 8:29 am

Well, reality set in. Before picking up my new S&W M&P 22 Compact I was reading all of the Internet reviews. A common theme among them was how the S&W engineers focused on making the M&P 22 able to run different brands of ammo reliably.

Here's what one Internet review had to say.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/new-smith-wesson-mp22-compact/

"22′s are notoriously finicky comes to the combination of ammunition and gun. It’s not at all unusual to go through several types of .22LR ammunition to find one that your gun likes and shoots reliably. I brought 12 brands and types of ammunition to the range to see exactly what would be compatible with the M&P22 Compact.

After shooting about 500 rounds with no malfunctions, I got bored and decided to mix things up. I pulled one round from each box and started loading magazine after magazine of mixed loads. Any two consecutive shots might include a 750 feet per second 60 grain subsonic followed by a 32 grain hypersonic round. Lead, round nose, jacketed, hollow points – I mixed them all up. No matter, the gun still functioned flawlessly with all ammunition types except one....Aguila .22-SSS Sniper Subsonic."

I to got off about 500 flawless rounds of mostly CCI standard velocity. Not even my Ruger 1022's exhibit this level of reliability. It's also pretty damn accurate for a smallish gun. Funny thing about this gun. I seem to get similar groups when either slow or rapid-ish firing. I was starting to think I found a true gem of a 22 semi-auto.

Well, turns out the Internet may have exaggerated claims of as one article put it "Glock like reliability", imagine that.

The test;
- 10 Yards
- 100 rounds total in groups of 10 rounds.
- 50 rounds of CCI Standard Velocity 40 grain
- 50 rounds of Winchester Super X 40 grain 1300 fps

First a warm up group, not good but getting there.

Second and Third rounds show slight improvement but starting to see that I am shooting a little low

By the fourth round I've got my aim dialed in, but now I am certain I am shooting low. After 6 shots, I adjust the rear sights up and fire the remaining 4 shots. Now we're talking.

By the 5th round both the gun and I are dialed in,

Here'e where it goes south. I switch over to the Winchester. First shot is high and left. Bang bang bang, click.... FTE. Rounds 7 and 8 are the same. Two more FTE's and two more FTF's. Glad for the adjustable rear sights because perhaps due to the higher velocity the Winchester is shooting much higher. If I were doing any real distance I probably wouldn't be on paper anymore. Plus I'm not getting the grouping of the CCI.

So evidently the Winchester is a no no. Got about a 10% failure rate out of just 50 rounds of it today. The CCI ran another flawless 50 rounds. Beggars can't be choosers so I'll continue to run other brands of 22 but it'll be a while before I buy into Internet review hype.

But man am I loving this gun. Tons of fun and when it dialed in it's a tack driver.

A volatile mixture of implacable OCD and vexatiuous ADD.
Eduardo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Re: M&P Review or Amazing the Difference Good Ammo Can Make

Post by cavok » 14 Oct 2014, 8:52 am

Question, what type of competition can you use a sub compact for, as I see little other use for an M&P in .22 calibre?
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Eduardo » 14 Oct 2014, 8:56 am

cavok wrote:Question, what type of competition can you use a sub compact for, as I see little other use for an M&P in .22 calibre?

The sport of putting holes in tin cans in my back yard?

But funny you should ask though, I asked a similar question before buying it.

http://enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2613
Eduardo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by cavok » 14 Oct 2014, 9:16 am

Eduardo wrote:
cavok wrote:Question, what type of competition can you use a sub compact for, as I see little other use for an M&P in .22 calibre?

The sport of putting holes in tin cans in my back yard?

But funny you should ask though, I asked a similar question before buying it.

http://enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2613

You must have one hell of a back yard, :D . As for putting holes into a tin can, fun for the first 2 minutes then its done, what next.
I do like your previous post on this topic, re teaching children to shoot, perfect for that, teaches all the fundamentals without being scary.
Great choice for that. Shoot well.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 15 Oct 2014, 1:17 pm

Eduardo wrote:22′s are notoriously finicky comes to the combination of ammunition and gun. It’s not at all unusual to go through several types of .22LR ammunition to find one that your gun likes and shoots reliably.

Aint that the truth.

I also bought about a dozen brands when finding the right one for my rifle.

The best group I've managed to shoot (with my now regular ammo) is 0.105"

Shooting on the same day with a different type it didn't agree with I was getting 2.5" groups at 50m :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Eduardo » 16 Oct 2014, 6:51 am

Lorgar wrote:
Eduardo wrote:22′s are notoriously finicky comes to the combination of ammunition and gun. It’s not at all unusual to go through several types of .22LR ammunition to find one that your gun likes and shoots reliably.

Aint that the truth.
I also bought about a dozen brands when finding the right one for my rifle.
The best group I've managed to shoot (with my now regular ammo) is 0.105"
Shooting on the same day with a different type it didn't agree with I was getting 2.5" groups at 50m :lol:

True for most I guess but especially true for .22. But my Saiga 7.62x39 is a damn close second in the accuracy department. It'll cycle anything, but with vastly differing results on paper. The cheap Russian ammo can't group worth a crap (at least not with me on the trigger).
Eduardo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by Vati » 16 Oct 2014, 2:27 pm

cavok wrote:You must have one hell of a back yard, :D

'Merica!
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Eduardo » 16 Oct 2014, 9:58 pm

I kinda do. Vineyards to the left of me. State park to the rear of me and my only neighbor is my Sister's house next door. Beyond her is protected wet lands.
I love living here, too bad this state is filled with gun grabbers.

Eduardo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by Westy » 17 Oct 2014, 7:22 am

cavok wrote:You must have one hell of a back yard, :D . As for putting holes into a tin can, fun for the first 2 minutes then its done, what next.

I do like your previous post on this topic, re teaching children to shoot, perfect for that, teaches all the fundamentals without being scary.

Great choice for that. Shoot well.

I must be different then as poking holes after 40 yrs. Is still fun for me?????
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Eduardo » 17 Oct 2014, 12:53 pm

Westy wrote:I must be different then as poking holes after 40 yrs. Is still fun for me?????

Are we still talking about guns?
Eduardo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by Old Fart » 17 Oct 2014, 2:49 pm

Eduardo wrote:I love living here, too bad this state is filled with gun grabbers.

Better than here mate. Most of ours have already been grabbed.
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles