Ok why do you personally have more than one firearm

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Ok why do you personally have more than one firearm

Post by MeccaOz » 15 Oct 2014, 4:46 pm

This is for my own interest really, but with the greens on the bandwagon to make have everyone have 1 firearm and a single shot at that, before complete disarmament, I think it would also be good if everyone was on the same page as to why others have different firearms. What firearms ( action,type,caliber any mods ) do you have and why ?

Currently I have a only a Ruger Gunsite Scout ( I went though a stage of unloading a heap of rifles, some because I no longer used them some because I was no longer happy with certain things about them ), It's near stock, but will be having floated and resealed soon, along with a leupold scope on an XS rail. I plan on getting a lever action either in 30/30 or a lever in 357 Mag for tight bush work,, and also a .22 or .22 mag for rabbits for the pot. And Maybe a 223/ 22-250 for those longer paddock shots.So all in all I plan on having at least 5 firearms ( also including the shotgun 12G ) for spotlighting foxes and for flying rats ( pidgeons ) amongst other things.

But Of course if I need to I would consider making room for a 375 H&H or 375 Ruger for the ever dangerous dropbear
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Re: Ok why do you personally have more than one firearm

Post by North East » 15 Oct 2014, 5:29 pm

I don't…I only have one…a .30-06.

That's all I want or need.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by MISSED » 15 Oct 2014, 5:38 pm

Does a Golfer have one club ?
MISSED
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 15 Oct 2014, 5:41 pm

What the hell kind of question is that?! He who has the most toys wins!
Last edited by Noisydad on 15 Oct 2014, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 15 Oct 2014, 5:42 pm

Why wouldn't we?
Last edited by Noisydad on 15 Oct 2014, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 15 Oct 2014, 5:42 pm

Coz I can!
Last edited by Noisydad on 15 Oct 2014, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by cavok » 15 Oct 2014, 5:47 pm

In response to the question put, the response is, because I can. :mrgreen:
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by MeccaOz » 15 Oct 2014, 5:53 pm

Laffin I mean I know I prolly should should have put it better. I just wanted to know what and why you chose what you did

Me - example
308 bolt action : everything from dogs to Donkeys
.22 lever action : rabbits, the odd fox
.357 lever action: pigs in tight bush
9mm semi: IPSC
303 bolt: Nostalgia

And remember Im not your wife, so all answers are perfectly valid lol
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by yoshie » 15 Oct 2014, 5:58 pm

They won't let me shoot my pistols at the rifle club, or the shotgun club, and vise versa at the pistol club, I can't use my rifles there either. I also can't hunt with my pistols...

As said above, do golfers use one club?

I'm a firearms enthusiast, I like to expose my self to all thing firearms. Some people just shoot one match or just hunt, and that's fine. I'm interested in many aspects of shooting, as well as making my own ammo.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by MeccaOz » 15 Oct 2014, 6:02 pm

yoshie wrote:They won't let me shoot my pistols at the rifle club, or the shotgun club, and vise versa at the pistol club, I can't use my rifles there either. I also can't hunt with my pistols...

As said above, do golfers use one club?

I'm a firearms enthusiast, I like to expose my self to all thing firearms. Some people just shoot one match or just hunt, and that's fine. I'm interested in many aspects of shooting, as well as making my own ammo.

Thats kinda what Im after mate. What sort of pictols do you have and what matches do you use them for ? Any particular reason you chose the ones you did ?
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Bennybigbores » 15 Oct 2014, 7:22 pm

My signature below covers most of my collection, not a target shooter myself only target for sighting and load development, this collection has varied with multiple trades and sales but generally my selection revolves around the game I hunt .......wait for it here it comes .243 for everything !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o And the others for everything else!! :roll: ....22lr bunnies foxes etc, 17hmr bunnies foxes at greater range, .308 light weight carry allday goat pig deer, 6.5x55 close to the .243 but rarely used nowadays, 7 shot lever 12g every thing out to 60m and doubles as my scrub gun with rifled slugs very handy tool on pigs, was interested in getting a longer flat shooter like a .270win but I'm dropping goats out to 400m with the .243, so can't warrant anything else will be replacing s/shot .308 with a rem7600 .308 soon
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 15 Oct 2014, 7:54 pm

I think there's any number of reasons why you'd have more than one firearm. My Howa 223 heavy barrel is good for the bench or sitting one place whistling foxes, but I don't want to carry it all day. My 308 is ideal for pigs or deer in cover with it's 22inch barrel. My 270 is great for open country hunting for most things. my 222 with a 20 inch barrel is a great light walk around rifle for anything that pops up. That's about all I need and I doubt that a rimfire of any sort is planned.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 15 Oct 2014, 7:55 pm

I have many rifles and for a few reasons, the golf analogy is perfect in my case. I like to use the right calibre for the job at hand much the same as a golfer selecting a club based on distance to flag. My interest in firearms is predominately extended range, not because it's the latest trend but because I love the science and math of the ballistics involved. I observe the climate, the distance and the target then enter all the data either into the computer or my brain and pull the trigger. The satisfaction comes from hitting the target where I calculated to hit. Missing is taken as a lesson in how not to do something, every shot is a learning experience.

I don't list my rifle collection in my signature but here's the current list...I've got my eye on a few more that I will be adding in the near future. Each one is special in it's own way, I shoot all of them on a regular basis apart from the 416 due to issues around ammo that I've now resolved. Shooting is maybe like wine, some days you want a red and others a white and the 50BMG is for when you want to get wasted fast :)...there's a calibre for any occasion or mood.

Mossburg Thunder Ranch 12ga
Gamo IGT .177 Air Rifle
PWS T3 22LR
Savage 17HMR
Sako 85 Varmint laminated S/S in .204 Ruger (Planning to make a present of this to a relative)
Sako 85 Varmint laminated S/S in 22-250
Marlin XLR in 30/30
Colt 2012CLR .308
DTA SRS in .308 & .338
Barrett M98B in .338
Barrett M99 in .416
Steyr HS50M1 in 50BMG
DTA HTI 50BMG (Barrel / Bolt / Mag only)

Paid for and awaiting delivery (for a long time now but due any day)
DTA HTI chassis with .375 Cheytac conversion.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 15 Oct 2014, 8:22 pm

I agree with the golf analogy... its ridiculous (and inhumane if u hunt) to think that one rifle will satisfy all needs!
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by North East » 15 Oct 2014, 8:32 pm

petemacsydney wrote:I agree with the golf analogy... its ridiculous (and inhumane if u hunt) to think that one rifle will satisfy all needs!

I hunt…I have one rifle, a .30-06. That will humanely kill any thing in N/E Vic.

I don't do bunny rabbits so don't want a rimfire…or if I feel like it just clobber them with the .30-06.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by MeccaOz » 15 Oct 2014, 8:57 pm

North East wrote:
petemacsydney wrote:I agree with the golf analogy... its ridiculous (and inhumane if u hunt) to think that one rifle will satisfy all needs!

I hunt…I have one rifle, a .30-06. That will humanely kill any thing in N/E Vic.

I don't do bunny rabbits so don't want a rimfire…or if I feel like it just clobber them with the .30-06.

LOL Makess sence to me.. I only have a 308 and feel the same way .. But I am thinking of expanding to fit other things. I was just wondering, why the main reason was people who have many firearms chose them. I understand why I myself would. Ive heard the golf analogy for years, and yeah it makes sence, BUT what do you use each iron or wood for is what Im asking.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Bennybigbores » 15 Oct 2014, 9:32 pm

Brett1868, I've done some research and I'm almost 99% certain I'm also one of your distant relatives so keep me in mind next time your gifting a sako or dta. Then I might not weep every time you post portions of your collection........ I thought the jealousy would ease ........nope
Howa axiom varmint .243
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by headwerkn » 15 Oct 2014, 9:33 pm

The shortish answer is that I'm a collector of Australian made sporting rifles. Between them, Lithgow-Slazenger, Sportco and Naughton-Fieldman alone produced somewhere in the order of 50 different models that I need to acquire in order to have the full set - which, make no mistake, is the plan. And that's just the three major manufacturers. Nor does it include my hunting rifles. Or target handguns I most likely will acquire in the near-to-medium term future.

The longer answer is that I'm a citizen of a supposedly free, democratic country, and as such I'll spend my money and weekends on whatever pastimes I feel bring me joy and a sense of well being, bound only by the law - and not the whims of a self righteous, self appointed minority of reality-poor elitists who would seek to dictate unto me what *they* believe are appropriate recreational activities.

Hmm... my longer answer was shorter than my short one. No matter - the important thing is, that while golf analogies are great at driving the point home, don't use them as an excuse. You don't have to use one; *they're* the ones who with one breath bleat freedom of speech, expression, etc. and with the other condemn anything and everything against their narrow world view. It's called hypocrisy - nothing more, nothing less - and it is typical of those who exist at the extremes of society, left or right.
headwerkn
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by headwerkn » 15 Oct 2014, 9:38 pm

MeccaOz wrote:This is for my own interest really, but with the greens on the bandwagon to make have everyone have 1 firearm and a single shot at that

There's absolutely no way I could decide between a Slazenger Model 1, Model 1A and Model 1B. The Greens are disrespecting my cultural beliefs! :lol:
headwerkn
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by on_one_wheel » 15 Oct 2014, 9:45 pm

I have more than one gun for a few resons, firstly its a ethical thing because I dont want to try shooting large game with a .22
secondly to be conservative on my pocket, our precious mineral resources and therefore the environment I dont want to shoot rabbits witha .243
thirdly is safety, I keep a 12 gauge and use it to prevent any chances of having stray projectiles find things that I don't want to shoot.

Some other resons I have is practice.... .22 air rifle to ensure I get a clean kill.
And a black powder front stuffer because some day thats all we will be allowed to use if the greens get thier ill informed, one eyed, lentil eating, dreadlocked hair do, idiotic ideas passed.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 15 Oct 2014, 9:48 pm

I have more than one gun for a few resons, firstly its a ethical thing because I dont want to try shooting large game with a .22
secondly to be conservative on my pocket, our precious mineral resources and therefore the environment I dont want to shoot rabbits witha .243
thirdly is safety, I keep a 12 gauge and use it to prevent any chances of having stray projectiles find things that I don't want to shoot.

Some other resons I have is practice.... .22 air rifle to ensure I get a clean kill.
And a black powder front stuffer because some day thats all we will be allowed to use if the greens get thier ill informed, one eyed, lentil eating, dreadlocked hair do, idiotic ideas passed.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 15 Oct 2014, 10:52 pm

Yup I agree with everything you all are saying. Thanks for the feedback Guys. I really appreciate it :)

And Bennybigbore Is the Chiappa lever action as good as it sounds ? It really does sound like a viable alternative to the pump actions we used to have and love :)
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by deye243 » 15 Oct 2014, 11:17 pm

Ok why do you personally have more than one firearm......................

the same reason i have 17 fishing rods .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by MeccaOz » 16 Oct 2014, 12:32 am

deye243 wrote:Ok why do you personally have more than one firearm......................

Yeah id you guys could stop with the golf and fishing analogies that would great. If you dont want to answer or just want to be a smart arse, dont bother eh. It's a legitimate question and I'm NOT AN ANTI, so why crap all over me ?
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by deye243 » 16 Oct 2014, 12:39 am

MeccaOz wrote:
deye243 wrote:Ok why do you personally have more than one firearm......................

Yeah id you guys could stop with the golf and fishing analogies that would great. If you dont want to answer or just want to be a smart arse, dont bother eh. It's a legitimate question and I'm NOT AN ANTI, so why crap all over me ?

well you ask a stupid question and you will get a stupid answer ..................
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Eduardo » 16 Oct 2014, 12:59 am

I can make an argument for owning even seemingly similar or even identical guns. Let's use a Glock 19 as an example. A great carry\duty gun but also fun a s**t to shoot for the heck of it or competition They get more fun with some tweaks to the trigger, sights and or optics, extended magazines,etc. However, once you make these mods, they become less suited for carry. You don't want a gun who's only safety is the trigger, to have a feather light trigger. You also don't want lasers or optics hanging off it because they no longer fit into a holster or get snagged on your clothing. So, one bone stock for carry and one to play with and tweak, plus you get the added benefit of interchangeable parts, holster, magazines, etc.
A volatile mixture of implacable OCD and vexatiuous ADD.
Eduardo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by MeccaOz » 16 Oct 2014, 1:42 am

deye243 wrote:well you ask a stupid question and you will get a stupid answer ..................

Well actually it wasnt a stupid question, just more of a general question as to what calibers people use for what they hunt or shoot with, that being said.. Why even bother answering with that sarcastic remark you idiot :)
Last edited by MeccaOz on 16 Oct 2014, 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 16 Oct 2014, 1:44 am

Eduardo wrote:I can make an argument for owning even seemingly similar or even identical guns. Let's use a Glock 19 as an example. A great carry\duty gun but also fun a s**t to shoot for the heck of it or competition They get more fun with some tweaks to the trigger, sights and or optics, extended magazines,etc. However, once you make these mods, they become less suited for carry. You don't want a gun who's only safety is the trigger, to have a feather light trigger. You also don't want lasers or optics hanging off it because they no longer fit into a holster or get snagged on your clothing. So, one bone stock for carry and one to play with and tweak, plus you get the added benefit of interchangeable parts, holster, magazines, etc.

Well thats a perfect scenario as to why you would have more than 1 Glock mate. And thats the type of thing Im asking :) Appreciated Eduardo
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Bennybigbores » 16 Oct 2014, 5:57 am

Wouldn't stress to much Mecca, if you tried to argue or correct every know it all or self empowered fool with an opinion you'd never stop, it's a simple question I can understand some tools just love to argue defend or create issues out of nothing. Probably making up for something else lacking or the missus walk s all over them and they feel like big boys venting or Sh!ting on others on forums!
Howa axiom varmint .243
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 16 Oct 2014, 8:32 am

Mecca, sounds like you had your very own assisted disarming....
I say everyone, next time you buy a firearm, one for you and buy 1 extra for the nation..... the green AS WELL AS THE POLICE seek to reduce the numbers of firearms in the community, its in their interest to have as disarmed a populace as possible.

I officially have more than one firearm "because different rifles are used for hunting /controlling different species at different ranges and in different situations" (given that we need a reason to both obtain a firearm licence as well as acquiring firearms)

unofficially;

I like guns.

should the day come when our parliaments are debating banning guns, I'm damn well starting that revolution, and if the GG doesnt lead it (even though he's already in charge, but most dont realise/accept it) then XXXX XX XX XXXXXXX XXX XXX XX XX XXXXXXX (anti ASIS / ASIO self censorship)
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles