Ok why do you personally have more than one firearm

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Ok why do you personally have more than one firearm

Post by wrenchman » 16 Oct 2014, 8:33 am

I no it is not a good rea
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by petemacsydney » 16 Oct 2014, 8:36 am

North East wrote:
petemacsydney wrote:I agree with the golf analogy... its ridiculous (and inhumane if u hunt) to think that one rifle will satisfy all needs!

I hunt…I have one rifle, a .30-06. That will humanely kill any thing in N/E Vic.

I don't do bunny rabbits so don't want a rimfire…or if I feel like it just clobber them with the .30-06.

lol, yeah u got me there mate!!! i guess i was thinking if you just had a lower calibre rifle i guess, ie if you only had a .22 or an air rifle, it would be inhumane to try hunt something quite large (and i believe illegal for that matter?)
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 16 Oct 2014, 8:48 am

I no it is not a good reason but it is not about a need it's about the want.
I do wish you guys could have stuff like we can you might find lots of guys even if they could won't buy a AR15.
I don't care for them but my son does and he wants one I will get it for him when he is done with collige
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Eduardo » 16 Oct 2014, 9:04 am

wrenchman wrote:I no it is not a good reason but it is not about a need it's about the want.
I do wish you guys could have stuff like we can you might find lots of guys even if they could won't buy a AR15.
I don't care for them but my son does and he wants one I will get it for him when he is done with collige

Building them is the best part. I would have a safe full of AR's if I could because it's so much fun picking out all the parts to customize the rifle how you want it. Being able to mix and match parts and change them up when you get bored is another plus. You should try it. But don't buy, build.
A volatile mixture of implacable OCD and vexatiuous ADD.
Eduardo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 16 Oct 2014, 11:18 am

22lr for possums & wallabies @ 50m-70m or less (Crop Protection Permit). Also for bunnies, but there aren't many around. Also a good training tool to hone shooting skills.

223rem for same pest control but out to longer ranges 100-200m. I usually knock a few off with the 223 then go for a walk with the 22 after 1/2 hour or so. The 223 gets the ones that you can never get close enough to with the 22lr. Will also be using this for a bit of friendly target comp. I would also use this for foxes, dogs, goats and long shots at bunnies when i go visit "home" in Nth East Vic, but it needs a new barrel for that (or different rifle) because the barrel on it isn't legal in Vic.

That's all i have at the moment. But planning:

223SHORT (experimental wild cat cartridge) to replace the 223 for pest control and the like. Supposedly shoots well enough out to 200m with half the powder of 223rem. Lower noise and cheaper to run. Thinking of a Zastava M85 lefty chambered in 22hornet to rechamber for this.

7-08 for all 'round medium game hunting and casual open f-class or metallic sil, just for fun and to build intermediate range (500-600m) shooting skills so that my close range shooting is better. Thinking i will rebarrel the 223 Howa for this, as i have put new stock, floorplate & DBM as well as trigger job on this rifle already. With a trued action and new barrel it should make a good hunting and casual target rig.

Shotty for around the house (snakes often take up residence and swallows nest in the shed) and pest control in the scrubby areas of my property.

I think that would cover everything i am likely to want to do. Just need the cash and a bigger safe!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Combat_Wombat » 16 Oct 2014, 2:03 pm

Don't try and use the golf analogy on a greenie they hate that too aparently sports are fascist and promote the clearing of precious trees
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by MeccaOz » 16 Oct 2014, 3:51 pm

Thanks heaps everyone, and yeah 1290.. I lost a few in the "Assisted Disarming". To Me Cos I want them is a perfectly understandable reason ... I think Im just trying to justify a few more to myself :D
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Lorgar » 16 Oct 2014, 6:37 pm

7mm-08 for game hunting.

.22LR for serious paper punching.

Covers all my bases :)

(The 7mm also doubles for vaporizing bunnies on occasion.)
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 16 Oct 2014, 6:50 pm

22 for those wascally wabbits, air rifle for those times when i feel the need, shotgun for fun, 308 for everything and 223 to reach out and touch(harshly) other smallish things and the 30/30 lever because,,,that's it,,just because ;)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Norton » 17 Oct 2014, 1:38 pm

Because why the hell not :D
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by handofcod » 17 Oct 2014, 5:20 pm

22lr for s**ts n giggles
Heavy barrel 223 for punching paper at the range
Short 308 for traipsing through the bush
Light 300 for whacking large brown ghosts
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 17 Oct 2014, 5:56 pm

MeccaOz wrote:This is for my own interest really, but with the greens on the bandwagon to make have everyone have 1 firearm and a single shot at that, before complete disarmament, I think it would also be good if everyone was on the same page as to why others have different firearms. What firearms ( action,type,caliber any mods ) do you have and why ?

I describe firearms as tools,some tools are better for the job than others,sometimes you need a bigger sledge hammer.

I don't think 1 firearm could cover the range of ferals efficiently,if you google 'ground shooting of feral pig' (or other feral,,lol) you might get something like this which says you need at least a 243 with 80gr hollow pt or softnose pills, it also 12g with sg or ssg but only up to 20m.
http://www.feral.org.au/wp-content/uplo ... ng_web.pdf
The pdf from the same people says
22lr or 223 for rabbits
308 for sambar

The guidelines from the Australian government links specify what tool is best for the ferals you are hunting, if you hunt a variety of ferals the government guidelines say you need a variety of guns.

I reckon the minimum number would be 3 rifles, if the budget is not a worry i don't care how many you have.

Having more guns does not make someone more of a deadly threat, you can only use 1 rifle at a time.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 19 Oct 2014, 3:22 pm

petemacsydney wrote:I agree with the golf analogy... its ridiculous (and inhumane if u hunt) to think that one rifle will satisfy all needs!

I dunno... My .416 is for the big stuff but works Ok on rabbits too :lol:
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bluerob » 20 Oct 2014, 8:23 am

Because they are just like golf clubs or fishing rods.

Every firearm I have has a different purpose.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Aussier » 20 Oct 2014, 6:27 pm

Well if you leave that space in the safe free it's like you're wasting it.

Waste not, want not ;)
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by chrispy88 » 29 Oct 2014, 7:47 am

I'm in my mid 20's and have held my firearms licence for 4 years. I live on the NSW south coast and have no close family or friends who share my interest in shooting so for the first 3 years I just poked holes in paper casually with my Savage 22lr stainless thumbhole laminate. A guy i used to know was on the game council's list to shoot deer in a nearby state forest and could take others who had their R class licence so was convinced my second gun would need to be a .308. I bought a Tikka T3 .308 stainless synthetic for a light weight scrub gun then lost contact with the guy haha! Have more recently got on to a few properties shooting ferals for people to put it to use other than at the range. Just last week I put a deposit on a Miroku mk10 12g for about 70% clay shooting 30% hunting. The next one will be an intermediate caliber for smaller game and range work, probably .223 due to price of ammo, availability of guns in this caliber. After that who knows! Whatever takes my fancy! I can foresee that my collection will continue to grow for as long as the budget and the pollies allow it. :D
Tikka T3 Lite SS .308 / VXII 3-9x40
Howa HB SS .223 / Viper PST 4-16x50
Savage Mk II BTVS .22LR / VXI 3-9x40
Lithgow Model 1 .22LR
Miroku MK10 Sporter 12g
W. W. Greener Martini action 12g
chrispy88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Harronek » 29 Oct 2014, 9:29 am

Interesting topic

I've lost count of the firearms that I've owned over the years , but its a lot .
About a year ago I sold off most of my firearms kept 3 and bought another with the proceeds of all the others I sold plus some .
So now I own .
.22 rimfire
44/40 lever action
12 gauge Shotgun
Centrefire rifle with two barrels .223 & 7mm Mag .

All apart from the 44/40 are quality firearms and there is nothing I want to shoot that can't be done with one of those 4 .
I have finally found what I've been looking for all of these years .
I still spend more than I care to admit to my wife on shooting , but that money goes on ammo , accessories , optics etc .
I never thought it would ever happen but when I go into a gunshop I don't even look at the firearms on the rack , I'm there to buy supplies not guns .
I used to religiously scan Usedguns website numerous times a day to see what new beauty had been posted up .
I don't remember the last time I visited that site .
I also used to religiously post on shooting forums , but realised that I was much better off shooting off my guns , not my mouth .
I've enjoyed visiting here having only just recently joined , but I'll probably not contribute much sorry , I'll be spending my time using my firearms that I've narrowed down to my Dream Team .
I fully understand and support those that own large collections , but that's no longer me .

Ken
A designer knows they have achieved perfection , not when there is nothing left to add , but when there is nothing left to take away .
Harronek
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Khan » 29 Oct 2014, 2:01 pm

Nice lineup you've got there Ken.
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by ChicagoTed » 31 Oct 2014, 8:39 am

cuz 'merica
mossberg 500
mosin 91/30
ar15 frankengun
glock 22 gen 4
ChicagoTed
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by oowess » 31 Oct 2014, 1:01 pm

merica.jpg
merica.jpg (63.12 KiB) Viewed 5771 times
oowess
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Eduardo » 01 Nov 2014, 12:23 pm

oowess wrote:
merica.jpg

Abe needs to get his finger off the trigger.
A volatile mixture of implacable OCD and vexatiuous ADD.
Eduardo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by Browning » 01 Nov 2014, 12:45 pm

All for hunting...

Tikka fluted S/S .308 pigs and possibly deer in future if I ever get into them

Browning BLR .308 for on the quad bike and sometimes tight scrub/lignum
(The .308's have very diff scopes on as well for different purposes)

Tikka Varmint 22-250 off the ute spotlighting..

Akkar combo 20/30" barrels for tight scrub and off the ute

Covers everything then.. Any destination, any feral I've got it covered.. Will prolly pick up a .22lr down the track when Junior is old enough to join me
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by MeccaOz » 01 Nov 2014, 1:33 pm

To The Americans ... Im very jealous of that piece of paper you have. We in Sunny Australia keep getting told we dont need a bill of rights, so we dont get one... Cos we have no rights... I HATE POLITICIANS !!!!

Hey Browning how does the Akkar combo go mate ? It's on my list of things I NEED, lol
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by 1290 » 01 Nov 2014, 3:26 pm

We actually do have 'the' Bill of Rights, it is an Act of Parliament locally, but generally theres only one part that is applied (one right that is) many times each and every day, and to one particular 'class' of our society, thats to our elected representatives and its 'Parliamentary Privilege' so each time they open there mouths it cant be held against them.

The BoR is a good read... the right to arms for protestants and all.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Browning » 01 Nov 2014, 7:06 pm

MeccaOz wrote:To The Americans ... Im very jealous of that piece of paper you have. We in Sunny Australia keep getting told we dont need a bill of rights, so we dont get one... Cos we have no rights... I HATE POLITICIANS !!!!

Hey Browning how does the Akkar combo go mate ? It's on my list of things I NEED, lol

Hey Mecca.. Love the Akkar mate...
Problem is I always find myself using the 20" barrel all the time.. It's just so bloody fun to use!! I don't find it too heavy, it's never let me down and just works brilliantly on pigs in the scrub... Been a great buy and one of my mates has recently bought the same combo... One the most used guns on every trip..(prolly just behind a tikka .308)
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by MrClark » 01 Nov 2014, 7:10 pm

12G for ducks etc
.17HMR for rabbits
.243 for foxes/ Goats
.30-06 for Deer/pigs
.300 Win Mag for Sambar/milk cartons/watermelons/fun
I really hope Export isn't actually Exported, mighty embarrassing for WA, hahaha I'll still drink it though
MrClark
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by GPostal » 03 Nov 2014, 8:47 pm

DUHH!
.22 Anshutz 1913 Target rifle for the Zombies at exactly 50 meters away, stuck on a pole or similar.
.22 Brno for the kid Zombies less than 1 meter tall
.22 Hornet Lithgow conversion for adolesance douche bag Zombies that cant be bothered chasing you
Angel M80 .308 for the Zombies running away from you
Hollis and sons Side by side shottie for the Zombies running towards you
Miroku MK 10 Trap under/over shottie for the flying Zombies
Lithgow .303's for the German Zombies ...................................................!
Some .22's--Lots of 303 Lithgows--Tactical Mosin--7mm and an 8mm--Underover--Farmers Shottie--Angel and Omark
GPostal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 03 Nov 2014, 9:17 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Someone's making a killing on these Zombies!!!! :lol: :x :D
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by fenderstrat » 03 Nov 2014, 11:55 pm

North East wrote:

I hunt…I have one rifle, a .30-06. That will humanely kill any thing in N/E Vic.

I don't do bunny rabbits so don't want a rimfire…or if I feel like it just clobber them with the .30-06.

so what is it then? specifically? Im curious now

I own two rifles, a 22lr for practice and a 1943 Lithgow SMLE .303 because i love history
fenderstrat
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by VICHunter » 05 Nov 2014, 4:32 pm

I find if you have a "deer and rabbit gun" you're doing one of them really wrong :lol:
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles