Lee Enfield SMLE recoil

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Lee Enfield SMLE recoil

Post by greyghost » 19 Oct 2014, 6:21 pm

In the latest of showing I don't know WTF I'm talking about :lol:

I had half an hour behind a Lee Enfield SMLE on the weekend. Going in I'll admit I was feeling flinchy about the metal plated butt, figured with the .303 British I was basically in for a metal slap from a .308 or close enough.

Soft as though! Didn't need to worry at all, could have shot the thing all day long.

I think I want one :D
Browning BLR .223
Sako 98 .270
greyghost
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Lee Enfield SMLE recoil

Post by North East » 19 Oct 2014, 6:30 pm

If you can handle your .270 you should be able to shoot a .30 cal and no recoil pad without a problem.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by greyghost » 20 Oct 2014, 10:21 am

I can, but my Sako has a nice thick wussy pad on it.

It was the metal plate at the end of the SMLE that was the worrying bit.

But turned out to be nothing so had a good time :D
Browning BLR .223
Sako 98 .270
greyghost
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Gregg » 20 Oct 2014, 10:22 am

The contour of the SMLE but is a pretty good fit I've found. Better than the flat end pads which focus a lot of the force on the centre of the pad and where it's touching your chest/shoulder.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Wes » 20 Oct 2014, 10:23 am

All comes down to the load in the end.

Light pills, lighter loads, blah blah will make any rifle easier to shoot.
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Old Fart » 20 Oct 2014, 10:23 am

Every safe needs a Lee Enfield in it.

You've seen the light :D
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Westy » 20 Oct 2014, 10:24 am

I also bet it more than twice the physical weight of your 270 as well ??????
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by greyghost » 20 Oct 2014, 11:50 am

Yeah definitely.

Not a featherweight rifle.
Browning BLR .223
Sako 98 .270
greyghost
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Tiiger » 20 Oct 2014, 2:28 pm

Rifle weight's a big factor in felt recoil.

I don't know the weights off the top of my head by the SMLE must be a good kilo or kilo and a half heavier than your Browning or Sako.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GLS_1956 » 17 Feb 2015, 8:30 am

I've never found the 303, in my No4MkI, to be that bad, Stiffer than my M-1 Garand, which weighs about a pound more and is gas operated. But not nearly as hard as a 1903 with it's straight stock..
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Warrigul » 17 Feb 2015, 9:44 am

Most centerfires recoil less than a standard shotgun.

I just don't know what all the fuss is about most of the time.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by RDobber » 17 Feb 2015, 6:51 pm

SMLE is soft as for a .30
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Westy » 17 Feb 2015, 7:49 pm

who's SOFT
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by RDobber » 18 Feb 2015, 12:36 pm

You I guess if you're kicking up a stink over it :lol: :P
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Westy » 19 Feb 2015, 7:14 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sorry I just don't get the what all the fuss is over shooting 100yr old rifles that sucked the day they left the factory???? Like most British inventions they were a piece of over rated s**t right up there with the Leyland P-76,I know I'm going to hear how great they were from some of you but sorry their just a inaccurate heavy trite piece of last century s**t IMHO
the only reason we had to use this thing is our worthless Generals(mostly british hacks) had their heads right up right royal Lord Someone's Ass
We should have gone with the yanks and got rid of it and used the 30-06 :clap: :clap:

Bring it!!!!!!
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 19 Feb 2015, 8:30 am

Westy wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sorry I just don't get the what all the fuss is over shooting 100yr old rifles that sucked the day they left the factory???? Like most British inventions they were a piece of over rated s**t right up there with the Leyland P-76,I know I'm going to hear how great they were from some of you but sorry their just a inaccurate heavy trite piece of last century s**t IMHO
the only reason we had to use this thing is our worthless Generals(mostly british hacks) had their heads right up right royal Lord Someone's Ass
We should have gone with the yanks and got rid of it and used the 30-06 :clap: :clap:

Bring it!!!!!!

It was quite interesting late last year on the mound at 600, 500 and 300yards (a club day for around fifteen of us), of all the sporting rifles, tactical jobbies(including a DTA that we had all been hearing about for two years and had to put up with at 100m on a regular basis) and deer rifles you know what won the day over all three distances?

You know what came first?

My No4 Mk1(T) copy(I wasn't using it as I was too busy marking and running back and forth all day)

You know what came third?

My s**ty old 1901 LE1(shortened range pattern .303) with a central apeture sight.

If I had wanted to I could have taken a target rifle and shot 58-59's all day and blitzed everyone but that is hardly the point is it? You know you can have a DTA SRS in .308 worth thousands but if you only ever shoot at 100m and rely on trajectory tables without backing them up with practice you aren't going to score real well.

It used to be a cheap way to get into shooting but those days are long gone.

You either get the milsurp thing or you don't, and it's no skin off my nose if someone doesn't get it, there is no point in trying to convert them.

But you know what, of the seven people that had a go at 100 with my stock standard 1941 SMLE six now own ex military .303's of some form or another, it is all in the name of fun.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Westy » 19 Feb 2015, 8:50 am

You know what gets up my nose W ???? I shoot @ QMRC and everyone there is shooting a s**ty old 303 and they have changed the f***ing rules to suit themselves!!!! As with your story they can't seem to shoot worth a pinch of piss but if you change the rules then no one else stands a chance !!I'd say the average winning group @ QMRC would be 3" @ 100m with their precious 303's and were shooting under 1/2" but this weeks shoot is restricted to 4 power scopes ,,I see your using 6 power sorry your out!!! Nice guys but as you pointed out it's supposed to be fun but when the same old c*** keep cheating every week it sure wears pretty thin!!!!!!
Never was and never will be a fanboy of the 303
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 19 Feb 2015, 9:37 am

Westy wrote:You know what gets up my nose W ???? I shoot @ QMRC and everyone there is shooting a s**ty old 303 and they have changed the f***ing rules to suit themselves!!!! As with your story they can't seem to shoot worth a pinch of piss but if you change the rules then no one else stands a chance !!I'd say the average winning group @ QMRC would be 3" @ 100m with their precious 303's and were shooting under 1/2" but this weeks shoot is restricted to 4 power scopes ,,I see your using 6 power sorry your out!!! Nice guys but as you pointed out it's supposed to be fun but when the same old c*** keep cheating every week it sure wears pretty thin!!!!!!

I have an enforcer with an 8x scope on it(this is what they came out with for issue to Police forces, commercial mounts and Pecar 8 x scope) but am unable to use it in sniper class as the limit is 4x to account for all the old 3 and 3.5x scopes most sniper rifles are fitted with, and I wouldn't want to use it against some of the older stuff as it would be unfair in my hands.

There is also an objective size limit of 40mm which trips up a few but in anything I have organised there is a LOT of leeway allowed as we don't have the numbers down here to be too fussy. Sure if someone wants to hop in with a DTA and a 24x scope I am going to ask him to set it at 4x but as long as it is in the spirit of things who cares and most, not all, blokes with "tactical" rifles them can't shoot for sh i t unless it is off a bench anyway.

The problem comes when you get those who love to creep against the the upper limit of the rules and spoil it for everyone with competitiveness.

Not everyone is going to love military calibres or get what it is all about, that is life and I just go out to enjoy myself.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gregg » 19 Feb 2015, 1:46 pm

Warrigul wrote:The problem comes when you get those who love to creep against the the upper limit of the rules and spoil it for everyone with competitiveness.

:thumbsdown:
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Westy » 19 Feb 2015, 2:08 pm

Warrigul wrote:I have an enforcer with an 8x scope on it(this is what they came out with for issue to Police forces, commercial mounts and Pecar 8 x scope) but am unable to use it in sniper class as the limit is 4x to account for all the old 3 and 3.5x scopes most sniper rifles are fitted with, and I wouldn't want to use it against some of the older stuff as it would be unfair in my hands.

There is also an objective size limit of 40mm which trips up a few but in anything I have organised there is a LOT of leeway allowed as we don't have the numbers down here to be too fussy. Sure if someone wants to hop in with a DTA and a 24x scope I am going to ask him to set it at 4x but as long as it is in the spirit of things who cares and most, not all, blokes with "tactical" rifles them can't shoot for sh i t unless it is off a bench anyway.

The problem comes when you get those who love to creep against the the upper limit of the rules and spoil it for everyone with competitiveness.

Not everyone is going to love military calibres or get what it is all about, that is life and I just go out to enjoy myself.

I have a model 38 and I get it ,just I find it's no longer enjoyable when it's the same 4 guys every week wanting to win at any cost!!!!

My motto is if it isn't fun who needs it!!!!!
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by chacka » 20 Feb 2015, 9:04 am

Westy wrote:I find it's no longer enjoyable when it's the same 4 guys every week wanting to win at any cost!

Nothing is when it becomes only about winning :thumbsdown:
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by trekin » 20 Feb 2015, 10:24 am

Westy wrote:You know what gets up my nose W ???? I shoot @ QMRC and everyone there is shooting a s**ty old 303 and they have changed the f***ing rules to suit themselves!!!! As with your story they can't seem to shoot worth a pinch of piss but if you change the rules then no one else stands a chance !!I'd say the average winning group @ QMRC would be 3" @ 100m with their precious 303's and were shooting under 1/2" but this weeks shoot is restricted to 4 power scopes ,,I see your using 6 power sorry your out!!! Nice guys but as you pointed out it's supposed to be fun but when the same old c*** keep cheating every week it sure wears pretty thin!!!!!!

Not directed at anyone in particular, but as a member of the Queensland Military Rifle Club, what gets up my nose is those c*** who have to win no matter what, or what the costs, whinging and bitching at the club to change the rules to let F Class riffles to compete in military comps contrary to the clubs original charter, and the spirit of the competition. If you want to use your hunting rifle in competitions, join the QRA, or the SSAA, if you believe that you need the latest barrel, action, stock, high powered scope and whiz bang ammo to win because you're too old, or set in your ways to learn a new skill set, again join a club that caters to your needs. For those of us who don't care that our old military rifles can't shoot better that 3 moa, and lets face it they weren't built to, have plenty fun, especially at the expense of those d***heads who show up with a .5 moa rifle to shoot at a three foot bulls eye, where's the feck is the skill in that!!!
Dodging for cover cover now til the eye of the approaching storm passes, literally (not kidding, Marcia is now set to snot us good and proper)
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Westy » 20 Feb 2015, 5:36 pm

trekin wrote:Not directed at anyone in particular, but as a member of the Queensland Military Rifle Club, what gets up my nose is those c*** who have to win no matter what, or what the costs, whinging and bitching at the club to change the rules to let F Class riffles to compete in military comps contrary to the clubs original charter, and the spirit of the competition. If you want to use your hunting rifle in competitions, join the QRA, or the SSAA, if you believe that you need the latest barrel, action, stock, high powered scope and whiz bang ammo to win because you're too old, or set in your ways to learn a new skill set, again join a club that caters to your needs. For those of us who don't care that our old military rifles can't shoot better that 3 moa, and lets face it they weren't built to, have plenty fun, especially at the expense of those d***heads who show up with a .5 moa rifle to shoot at a three foot bulls eye, where's the feck is the skill in that!!!
Dodging for cover cover now til the eye of the approaching storm passes, literally (not kidding, Marcia is now set to snot us good and proper)

What ever!!!!!! Best fun at the club is the shotgun IMHO

Quick question, were you there in the beginning when Phil was starting this club :?: :?: :?: I think not!!!!!! It was never designed for 303's it was all about the semi Auto crew and the guys who shopped at the Tarragindi Gun shop!!!!! :evil: :o :twisted: Only it fell into decay when the s**t hit the fan in 1996 and it still hasn't really recovered fully... Us old wankers that want to shoot F-Class have been there and done that and can tell you it's as boring as s**t watching someone shooting sub 10" groups with a 100yr old ****** and thinking he's doing something good!!!Serious have a good look at yourself mate @ least buy a Swede and win a little !!!!! Don't start something you can't Finish here Buddy :evil: :) :twisted:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by agentzero » 23 Feb 2015, 2:04 pm

trekin wrote:Dodging for cover cover now til the eye of the approaching storm passes, literally (not kidding, Marcia is now set to snot us good and proper)

Sounding crazy up there the last few days :(
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by trekin » 23 Feb 2015, 5:31 pm

agentzero wrote:Sounding crazy up there the last few days :(

Not to highjack the thread, but yeah, Friday was a little wild and woolly. Nice breeze through, the little anemometer I've got only reads to 200 kph and it maxed out a couple of times. Hit us as a Cat 4 but was downgraded to Cat 3 while the eye was over us. Third cyclone for me and the Mrs, but first Cat 4 for either of us. Been on genny power since Friday, reticulated water was a problem up til yesterday avo, a bit smelly personally with temps in the mid 30's during the day, and high 20's all night, and humidity at 80% plus. been turning the genny off at around 22:00 to keep peace with the neighbors, but not tonight, going to run aircon all night so we can get a good nights sleep. Anyway, too hot and muggy to be sitting here, going for a cold shower and retreating to the airconned bedroom for the night.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by shazz » 26 Feb 2015, 10:15 am

trekin wrote:Third cyclone for me and the Mrs, but first Cat 4 for either of us.

Serious question, have you never thought about just moving?

QLD floods come to mind, you see these places that keep getting flooded, might be 10 years apart but it's happened multiple times, and people still stay there.

They're places get wiped out, they spend ages rebuilding, then it happens again. I don't understand why some still stay knowing it'll happen again eventually.
shazz
Private
Private

Western Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles