Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 Win

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 Win

Post by Rhino511 » 26 Oct 2014, 6:28 pm

Hey guys. First post here.

Looking for a review on the ruger gunsite scout.

If anyone has anything to say good or bad. Please let me know thanks.

I really like the look of them and what i've seen online.
Rhino511
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: ruger gunsite scout .308 win

Post by squirrelhunter » 26 Oct 2014, 7:40 pm

Scouts are a bit of a love/hate rifle.

They're a bit hyped up if I'm honest, but they're a good rifle as well.

Totally happy with mine :)
Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308
Bushnell 3-9x 40mm - Multi-X
squirrelhunter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 26 Oct 2014, 7:58 pm

Happy with mine. Just seems to seing so naturally for me, plus it comes with adjustable length of pull and iron sights ( still using my irons ), but will throw a scope on it at some piont ")
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Baldrick314 » 26 Oct 2014, 8:20 pm

Still really happy with mine. You've just gotta be aware of it's limitations. It's not gonna give bench rest accuracy but it's more than accurate enough for hunting at reasonable distances. I run a red dot on mine now but had pretty good success with the iron sights too
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Rhino511 » 26 Oct 2014, 8:43 pm

Thanks for the replys everyone.
What have you all been using them for?
Rhino511
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 Win

Post by Lorgar » 28 Oct 2014, 6:15 pm

Hey Rhino,

I agree with squirrelhunter there is far to much hype around them. It's a short barrel .308 with a rail, hardly amazing.

Not knocking them though, getting over the hype though they're a fine rifle for what they're intended for.

Ruger make fine quality rifles at a good price (Their synthetic stocks are rubbish but the Scout's laminate is very sold).

Very fast rifle - especially the 16.5" version, the Mauser action is bullet proof (I'm a fan) and .308 will do it all in Australia.

A hunting mate of mine uses one as his game rifle when we go and it's never let him down.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by North East » 28 Oct 2014, 6:19 pm

What do you want to shoot with it?….and if it's deer what species?
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 28 Oct 2014, 6:22 pm

It's his all purpose. Fox, rabbits, any deer (except for Hog because the season is too short)
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by handofcod » 28 Oct 2014, 9:26 pm

Love mine. I'm using 168gr TTSX and have managed to get some very decent accuracy. It's a bit heavy for its size but easy to carry otherwise.
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tiiger » 29 Oct 2014, 7:10 pm

Affordable, reliable hunting rifle.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by scottc81 » 05 Nov 2014, 10:01 am

I've had mine for quite a while and love it, I also have a mk 2 tactical chassis for sale if anyone wants to buy it.. CQ area
scottc81
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Monty » 05 Nov 2014, 11:19 am

Chuck a post up in the classifieds if you want a better chance of moving that chassis, Scott.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by rocket51 » 22 Jan 2016, 1:57 am

hi all,i have just purchased a ruger scout 308 and would like to know what loads to use.i have lapua cases and 155 gr boat tail projectiles with 2208 powder
rocket51
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by southeast varmiter » 23 Jan 2016, 8:14 am

I have had mine for 6 months. Performs fine, with the right ammo matching it can accurately put rounds out to 500 yards. The barrel length is not an issue as you only lose about 25 f/s per inch of length reduction.
Not sure why people claim it's less accurate it just has lower muzzle velocity than a 22". Using hornady performance cartridges I've got the muzzle velocity back to 22" length.
I use a red dot sight which gets me to 300 yards without issue and can follow upfire 3 rounds on a 10" plate very quickly (using bipod)
Advantage is the Mauser bolt, plastic p mags which you can top load and open back up sights.
Im thinking of getting the xs rail which goes end to end and replaced the peep sight all the way to tip of existing scout rail.
I also find it fires the PUP ammo very well.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rakk » 01 Feb 2016, 3:15 pm

rocket51 wrote:hi all,i have just purchased a ruger scout 308 and would like to know what loads to use.i have lapua cases and 155 gr boat tail projectiles with 2208 powder

Which projectiles exactly?

Lapua brass is good though and 2208 is a good powder choice.
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Browning » 01 Feb 2016, 5:35 pm

Bought mine as quad bike rifle... Needed something tough and reliable, that could take some abuse... It's got an aimpoint red dot mounted in the scout position (which originally I wasn't a fan of)..
Also purchased a polymer mag which goes well with the scout mounted red dot as u can top feed rounds (very handy)
I run Remington 150gr SP through it and gotta say I've been impressed with the outta box accuracy...
For its intended purpose of whopping pigs mostly from 0-100m, it's bloody brilliant! An accurate tank that will take dust, rain and the constant jiggling on a quad...
My only "con" would be the action.. I've also got quite a few tikkas and after coming from the butter smoothness of my 22-250 and 308 Hunter, the ruger does feel quite clunky; but hey, you can't have everything... For its purpose that I use it for (quad and brigalow/lime bush), it's perfect, but if you want a smooth, long range varmint barrel and bench rest accuracy, get something else
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Herdsman » 09 Feb 2016, 12:50 pm

Browning wrote:Needed something tough and reliable, that could take some abuse.

That's Ruger in a nutshell.
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 09 Feb 2016, 1:00 pm

Nailed it. They're not benchrest rifles. Theys hunting guns that will take everything you throw at them and not let you down.

And the actions are famous for being very strong. Having said that, I actually prefer the ruger american action. Personal opinion, but I find mine smooth and still very strong and reliable.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Lorgar » 16 Feb 2016, 10:50 am

A Ruger .308 Hawkeye is my backup rifle.

Not as refined or accurate as my Tikka but I like it just as much for its own reasons.

That Ruger controlled feed action is just bullet proof.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles