Where did you learn to shoot

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Where did you learn to shoot

Post by jennageit » 15 Dec 2014, 9:31 am

First time I ever used a firearm was when I was about 10 or 11, out with my dad shooting bunnies.
His firearm sat me on my bum, so I got the job of carrying the dead bunnies after that.

At 15 I used my friend slug gun and gave the tin cans hell.

Between then, and August this year, I did my safety course, rang a couple of clubs and found one fairly local. I showed up and was given instruction from the word go.
At the range, I was taught how to shoot an old Anschutz. Unfortunately, all I've been taught so far is how to line up the target at 50m, oh and now 20m. I still know nothing about cleaning, and maintaining, and to this day, I've never shot from the shoulder. I've never actually had to hold the rifle whilst firing it due to shooting Benchrest only.
When my back improves, I'll be doing that next.

Other than at the range, it's been impossible to find anyone to tutor me in all things firearms. The range master has limited time to dedicate to me, and I'm thankful for any time he can spare.

Because of this, I want to learn as much as I possibly can so that I can teach my kids properly.

So, that's my story of where I learnt to shoot.

Jenna

PS. On a side note, I was with a guy yesterday who's a hunter and has been around firearms for at least 20 years. At the range yesterday, he scared both myself and the range master by not pointing the rifle in a safe direction. At the range, we always carry our rifles pointing towards the roof. It's a tin roof as opposed to a concrete floor. Twice, over the course of an hour, we had a rifle pointed in our direction!
Back from a break, and ready to shoot again :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by cavok » 15 Dec 2014, 9:38 am

Mark.A wrote:
cavok wrote:
mark.allen wrote:So, specifically what type of shooting are you wishing to learn about, long range, using what rifle. What in your shooting ability are you wishing to improve?

Ceiling and Visability Okay.. Sorry couldn't help that, in a previous life hobby, I was piloting, But thats another story... Yes I do have some rifles, more than I could ever shoot, but I enjoy taking them out one at time and learning about them. Long Range Shooting (for me, Long range is 50-80m Extreme is 100-150) I hear stories of guys and gals easily taking targets at 400-500m, its a skill that I would like to possess, as I am not the lightest on foot, and the various animals on the family farm, they hear me, and I am pretty sure smell me before I am even in the same post code.. (yes, come on, have a quip) I've retrieved my .17 and .22 from the farm over the weekend, and will spend more time at the range I think, its the only way to improve general shooting, and try to get out more.

Really want to improve bush skills and tracking/stalking, Just frustrating to see months of hard work by my parents, go to waste on the farm, due to the local deer's coming in and snacking on everything, and destroying entire crops.

Mark

When you say "long range is 50-80 metres" are you shooting prone with your .177 and .22. What type of scopes are on the rifles? And approximately how long have you shot the .22 at 80 metres? What are your 5 shot groups like? Ammunition and if someone else shoots your .22 what are their groups like?
As I said in my previous post, hunting and staking is a whole different chapter, same as singles and twins, vfr and nigh vfr.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by cavok » 15 Dec 2014, 9:44 am

Jenna

PS. On a side note, I was with a guy yesterday who's a hunter and has been around firearms for at least 20 years. At the range yesterday, he scared both myself and the range master by not pointing the rifle in a safe direction. At the range, we always carry our rifles pointing towards the roof. It's a tin roof as opposed to a concrete floor. Twice, over the course of an hour, we had a rifle pointed in our direction![/quote]

Just because someone is a hunter and has been around firearms for 20 years means little if that is the actual truth he is telling everyone. Also if he pointed a rifle in your direction and the range master, and failed to carry his rifle pointing at the roof instead of the floor, after the first safety breach he should have been expelled from the range and told not to return till he could follow the range safety protocol. Then I would have given him a personal blast for pointing a rifle in my direction. No point in having a range master on a range if he fails to do his job. Be safe.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Mark.A » 15 Dec 2014, 10:36 am

I know this isnt an excuse, But I dont get a lot of spare time to go shooting, and the time I do get, I am not using effectively IMHO. This is very true, Hunting and Stalking are different animals all together, It just comes down to practice, going out and shooting, listening to other people, and using a level head to take in what has been told to you, what should be adhered to, what should be discarded, and what should be followed up with a few others. Its just like any hobby/sport/interest, you will always get a few differing ideas on everything.

The .17 and .22 are currently Shooting rather aweful, I am unsure if it is me, or the rifles, or both, They both have BSA Airrifle scopes on them, as they are just fun guns, the 22WMR was shooting just as strange as the .17 and .22, I disassembled the rifle on the weekend, and dropped the action from the stock, and found that the two bolts that held the rifle action to the stock, where rather loose, this would explain why when shooting it, I could get them to stack one on top of eachother, then the next magazine, it would be out or be impacting in a different area, or shooting all over the shop. Pushing the magazine in, would cause the action to move, and therefor alter the impact point, let alone, change the harmonics, etc etc...

So I am going to drop the trigger guard off the .22 and .17 and just nip everything up, and re zero.. I suspect it may help them along...

But yes, Back to the question at hand, I can comfortable hit items at 50-80m currently. I havent shot prone, its mostly Standing, when at the range its just on a rest normally, which doesnt help, I may pop over to belmont and do some shooting down in the standing area, and see if this helps me along.

The only difference between VFR/IFR/NVFR, is the amount of available lumens, and the fact that you have to talk to someone that tells you what to do all the time.. And Frankly I prefer to look outside while flying, it tells you an aweful lot of what is going on :)
And thats the way it is..

Proud owner of

Zastava .17HMR .22 .22WMR .223
Tikka T3 .308 .243
Marlin 30-30
Cz 30-06Spr
Enflied 303/303-25
Savage 22H
Haenel 300WM

and other odds and bobs..
Mark.A
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Mark.A » 15 Dec 2014, 10:38 am

jennageit wrote:First time I ever used a firearm was when I was about 10 or 11, out with my dad shooting bunnies.
His firearm sat me on my bum, so I got the job of carrying the dead bunnies after that.

At 15 I used my friend slug gun and gave the tin cans hell.

Between then, and August this year, I did my safety course, rang a couple of clubs and found one fairly local. I showed up and was given instruction from the word go.
At the range, I was taught how to shoot an old Anschutz. Unfortunately, all I've been taught so far is how to line up the target at 50m, oh and now 20m. I still know nothing about cleaning, and maintaining, and to this day, I've never shot from the shoulder. I've never actually had to hold the rifle whilst firing it due to shooting Benchrest only.
When my back improves, I'll be doing that next.

Other than at the range, it's been impossible to find anyone to tutor me in all things firearms. The range master has limited time to dedicate to me, and I'm thankful for any time he can spare.

Because of this, I want to learn as much as I possibly can so that I can teach my kids properly.

So, that's my story of where I learnt to shoot.

Jenna

PS. On a side note, I was with a guy yesterday who's a hunter and has been around firearms for at least 20 years. At the range yesterday, he scared both myself and the range master by not pointing the rifle in a safe direction. At the range, we always carry our rifles pointing towards the roof. It's a tin roof as opposed to a concrete floor. Twice, over the course of an hour, we had a rifle pointed in our direction!

Same here, all I know about gun cleaning and maintenance I have gleaned from YouTube, I use bore snakes currently, But I should learn how to use the rods and patches, but all I see is a bore snake does the same thing as a rod, quicker, and easier, and there is less chance of doing damage by hiting the rod against the throat or other sensative areas...

Just my 2c

Proud owner of

Tikka T3 .308 .243
Marlin 30-30
Cz 30-06Spr
Enflied 303/303-25
Savage 22H
Haenel 300WM

Mark.A
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by cavok » 15 Dec 2014, 11:48 am

Mark.A wrote:I know this isnt an excuse, But I dont get a lot of spare time to go shooting, and the time I do get, I am not using effectively IMHO. This is very true, Hunting and Stalking are different animals all together, It just comes down to practice, going out and shooting, listening to other people, and using a level head to take in what has been told to you, what should be adhered to, what should be discarded, and what should be followed up with a few others. Its just like any hobby/sport/interest, you will always get a few differing ideas on everything.

The .17 and .22 are currently Shooting rather aweful, I am unsure if it is me, or the rifles, or both, They both have BSA Airrifle scopes on them, as they are just fun guns, the 22WMR was shooting just as strange as the .17 and .22, I disassembled the rifle on the weekend, and dropped the action from the stock, and found that the two bolts that held the rifle action to the stock, where rather loose, this would explain why when shooting it, I could get them to stack one on top of eachother, then the next magazine, it would be out or be impacting in a different area, or shooting all over the shop. Pushing the magazine in, would cause the action to move, and therefor alter the impact point, let alone, change the harmonics, etc etc...

So I am going to drop the trigger guard off the .22 and .17 and just nip everything up, and re zero.. I suspect it may help them along...

But yes, Back to the question at hand, I can comfortable hit items at 50-80m currently. I havent shot prone, its mostly Standing, when at the range its just on a rest normally, which doesnt help, I may pop over to belmont and do some shooting down in the standing area, and see if this helps me along.

The only difference between VFR/IFR/NVFR, is the amount of available lumens, and the fact that you have to talk to someone that tells you what to do all the time.. And Frankly I prefer to look outside while flying, it tells you an aweful lot of what is going on :)

I think in my original post, number 1. I speak about teaching the shooter basics, then let them buy their own ammunition and PRACTICE. Lots of practice, prone, standing, kneeling. Many moons ago if the empty cases where not above your ankles you had not practiced enough. Practise often, no use practicing a lot once a year, won't learn a lot from that. Best of luck.
PS, at least in vfr you can see where you are going and where you have been. Night vfr all you see is lights and runway lights as you have turned of your landing lights, in ifr, instrument only, but a lot of fun and precision flying.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Mark.A » 15 Dec 2014, 11:57 am

Very true, Just need to get myself out to the Range and concentrate :)

Proud owner of

Tikka T3 .308 .243
Marlin 30-30
Cz 30-06Spr
Enflied 303/303-25
Savage 22H
Haenel 300WM

Mark.A
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by jennageit » 15 Dec 2014, 4:27 pm

Hubby says that next year when my youngest is at school, he'll drive me down to the range whenever the range master is available. I'm hoping to get in 3 or 4 days of practice, whether that be at the range, or at my mates place. He's got 160 acres and goes there a couple of times a week. I've been told to come hunting with him, and if I want, I can set some targets up on the trees down the back of the block to sight in which will be some practice.

Talking to my mate, and as much as I love the guys at the range, I think I'll get him to teach my kids about firearms and safety. He's also offered to teach me how to clean a firearm properly, and offered to let me use a couple of his other longarms so that I know what they are all about, under his supervision of course. And just to go a little further, he's offered to store my rifle if I still have issues with safe installation, so long as I let L&RD know that it's being stored there.
I'll be spending a lot of time with him over the next 6-12 months, so I'm hoping to learn lots, that I can put into practice on the range.
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AlanK » 16 Dec 2014, 8:57 am

3-4 days a week practice when the kids are at school???

That's commitment! :lol:
AlanK
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by jennageit » 17 Dec 2014, 9:03 am

AlanK wrote:3-4 days a week practice when the kids are at school???

That's commitment! :lol:

What can I say? I'm addicted.

I want to get as good as I possibly can, and if that means going to the range and getting trigger time, that's what I'll do.
I'm hoping to get my back sorted out soon, get my fitness back up and go hunting. That's the plan!
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tiiger » 17 Dec 2014, 10:16 am

jennageit wrote:I want to get as good as I possibly can, and if that means going to the range and getting trigger time, that's what I'll do.
I'm hoping to get my back sorted out soon, get my fitness back up and go hunting. That's the plan!

Shooting is definitely a perishable skill.

Gotta keep up the practice to stay good and improve.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by jennageit » 17 Dec 2014, 10:19 am

Tiiger wrote:
jennageit wrote:I want to get as good as I possibly can, and if that means going to the range and getting trigger time, that's what I'll do.

Shooting is definitely a perishable skill.

So true.

I had six weeks off and went from shooting 198.7/200 down to 184/200. Fortunately I am now redeeming myself lol

I'm hoping to get my hubby involved too, but the TRV membership is $250 each, which is a bit prohibitive at the moment.

Bring on late January, and I get some of my freedom back, so can go shoot whenever the RO is available!
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by hoofit » 17 Dec 2014, 3:10 pm

Tiiger wrote:Shooting is definitely a perishable skill.

I'm proof of that.

I'm useless after a month between shoots which is often the case :lol:
hoofit
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles