Where did you learn to shoot

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Where did you learn to shoot

Post by cavok » 27 Oct 2014, 1:57 pm

So, where did you learn to shoot, rifle or pistol
If you go to a rifle/pistol range there are safety officers, they ensure all safety protocols are followed, but instructors they are not, or are they, so who to listen too? Who taught you to shoot, father, uncle, police, military?
I have over a long time of instructing come to the realisation that mentoring/instructing a group is time consuming and difficult if more than 4 people are looking for assistance, to me it was about getting all of the element right, so I limit this experience to 5 shooters at a time for safety reasons. So, where is one to get all the benefit and assistance needed to become more than proficient at this art form? We now have so many shooters, both in rifle and pistol, who initially trains these new, and some not so new shooters. Are they all ex military or police; are these the institutions that are best equipped to train the vast numbers of shooters? Or is this the last place for training, except for very basic firearm handling? The elite are always taken way and gain valuable experience from trained professionals, but the majority of shooter who teaches them? Also who in many clubs in pistol or rifle shooting actually has the knowledge and experience to train anyone. Yes the instructors have the certificates and some skills, but from what I have seen over many years, they really know little more than basics and shoot very little, they are not even able to pass on to new pistol shooters the difference between how to hold a semi automatic correctly compared to a revolver. Hence the best instructors hide somewhere and need to be sought out.

One on one mentoring is very difficult, and allowing a shooter to gain the expertise he or she needs from trial and error is possibly not the way to go. We were all new shooters once, knew nothing, asked a great many questions, and listened intently to the instructor. It is only years later that one reflects back on our early days and we realise that most of our instructors barely new more than the basics. If they knew more they just did not have the time to spend with a group who wanted to know more and be shown more and needed to know more.

Am I over complicating shooting, or is it as simple as give the shooter boxes of ammunition and let them shoot, show them the score or hits on the target and give them more boxes of ammunition. Hence eventually they learn how to shoot well and safely? Are the best swimmers the best to teach us to swim, or the best academics the best to teach, or do the best teachers posses other skills in teaching? And training others? Or do all shooters have to re invent the wheel by themselves? Also who trains you the caring and cleaning of your firearm? Anyone you advises you it does not require cleaning after EVRY shoot is to be ignored and better advice sought.

If you pass all of your training and get your Category A, B or H licence and go hunting or shooting, will what you learnt weeks ago actually apply to your situation now, or is there more? In fact if you are in the high country with your new you beaut rifle will you even see a deer? Then if you are in the paddock of your friends farm will you get that fox or rabbit, or are they watching you?

For me I strongly feel shooting once the basics are known is a matter of re-inventing the wheel and learning from trial and error, practice and getting the technique correct, in brief periods listen to those who know, then go out and practice some more, very similar to hunting skills. Good shooting.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Where did you learn to shoot

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Oct 2014, 2:00 pm

In the scrub with the old man, was about 6 or 8yrs old at the time.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 27 Oct 2014, 2:42 pm

bigfellascott wrote:In the scrub with the old man, was about 6 or 8yrs old at the time.

X 2 Grandad and dad started us boys off early and being the youngest of 3 boys I started a little earlier than most.... latter in life I was employed to teach others to shoot took me 1\2 way around the world and back. Now days just for fun!!!!!! :D ;) :D
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Bennybigbores » 27 Oct 2014, 3:29 pm

As above pop and dad working my way up from air rifle to .22lr started early around 6 - 7 and later in life around 14 - 15 hunted and spot lighting with my uncle 2 nights a week, learnt a heap from these three, but you never stop learning, advice from others, gunshop, magazines and manuals. Technique and habits can be fine tuned through experience, trial and error, basic safety has to be taught thoroughly in my opinion, not many second chances in this sport if things go wrong through disrespect for basic logic and safety!
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by FuzzyM » 27 Oct 2014, 5:02 pm

Air rifle on the family farm. Taught by my Grandfather. That old Telly piece of s**t makes my savage .22 seem like a sniper rifle! Talk about rainbow trajectory! Maximum point blank range of 2 feet :)
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by North East » 27 Oct 2014, 5:14 pm

ADF in the late 70's when I was 18 y/old. First rifle I ever fired was an L1A1 SLR.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 27 Oct 2014, 5:21 pm

Westy wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:In the scrub with the old man, was about 6 or 8yrs old at the time.

X 2 Grandad and dad started us boys off early and being the youngest of 3 boys I started a little earlier than most...:D ;) :D

Believe it or don't it was my Nan that was able to spend the most time with me, on the farm Pop and Dad had to work hard. Nan taught me the basics and how to trap and snare, her mob were trappers and bushmen from way back. It isn't legal anymore but my kids still know what to do.

There were still quite a few rabbits about when I started, I had my own 10/22 by the age of 12.

It also helped that Pop and dad were ex army instructors and, pop in particular, excellent long range shots.

I was very fortunate to be coached by competant instructors when I started competing, Not much time for some of the vocal experts about the place, usually the more they crap on the less they know in reality.
Last edited by Warrigul on 27 Oct 2014, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Chronos » 27 Oct 2014, 5:24 pm

service rifle range, ANZAC range Malabar NSW,

was luck enough to be taught to shoot by a couple of hunters and service rifle/high power shooters, some ex service men and some high level competators. we shot different ranges from 100-300m and different positions every saturday. I also learnt to shoot pistol IPSC there too, and shotgun

like any service rifle range safety was paramount. Rules were strict and to be obeyed, not a bad thing by any means

there days i've become an RO myself, supervising new shooters and experienced ones. let me tell you the new shooters are easier to manage than the experienced guys that think doing things their way is more important than following the range rules

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 27 Oct 2014, 6:15 pm

Chronos wrote:service rifle range, ANZAC range Malabar NSW,

was luck enough to be taught to shoot by a couple of hunters and service rifle/high power shooters, some ex service men and some high level competators. we shot different ranges from 100-300m and different positions every saturday. I also learnt to shoot pistol IPSC there too, and shotgun

like any service rifle range safety was paramount. Rules were strict and to be obeyed, not a bad thing by any means

there days i've become an RO myself, supervising new shooters and experienced ones. let me tell you the new shooters are easier to manage than the experienced guys that think doing things their way is more important than following the range rules

Chronos

So no more IPSC, I do not see any IPSC style guns. perhaps you could enlighten us on that style of shooting. Range rules must remain range rules, deviate from them and then leave, never to return.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by cavok » 27 Oct 2014, 6:17 pm

Warrigul wrote:
Westy wrote:

X 2 Grandad and dad started us boys off early and being the youngest of 3 boys I started a little earlier than most...:D ;) :D

Believe it or don't it was my Nan that was able to spend the most time with me, on the farm Pop and Dad had to work hard. Nan taught me the basics and how to trap and snare, her mob were trappers and bushmen from way back. It isn't legal anymore but my kids still know what to do.

There were still quite a few rabbits about when I started, I had my own 10/22 by the age of 12.

It also helped that Pop and dad were ex army instructors and, pop in particular, excellent long range shots.

I was very fortunate to be coached by competant instructors when I started competing, Not much time for some of the vocal experts about the place, usually the more they crap on the less they know in reality.

It is a blessing to be taught by those that know, and care.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 27 Oct 2014, 6:22 pm

Yeah I learned from dad with the air rifle and .22 on the farm. Been spotlighting with dad since I was 8 or so
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 27 Oct 2014, 6:58 pm

cavok wrote:

Chronos

So no more IPSC, I do not see any IPSC style guns. perhaps you could enlighten us on that style of shooting. Range rules must remain range rules, deviate from them and then leave, never to return.

no more IPSC for me for a while now. When the gov't moved on ANZAC range a few years back i joined Blacktown Pistol Club but I couldn't afford to be competative, IPSC is one of those games you must practice weekly and the time and the ammo was too much for me. It's common to shoot a few hundred rounds in practice, one Steel Challenge comp i shot over 600 rounds in an afternoon practice and the two day match. In the end i sold my M&P9L, holsters and reloading gear. I relied on club guns and borrowed gear to maintain my licence and keep making my Cat H attendances until last year when i bought a .22LR pistol and recently a .357mag for SSAA combined services comps

I'm sure there are a few very experienced pistol shooters here who could write a very long and involved thread on the different disciplines and perhaps they will

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 27 Oct 2014, 7:33 pm

Chronos wrote:
cavok wrote:

Chronos

no more IPSC for me for a while now. When the gov't moved on ANZAC range a few years back i joined Blacktown Pistol Club but I couldn't afford to be competative, IPSC is one of those games you must practice weekly and the time and the ammo was too much for me. It's common to shoot a few hundred rounds in practice, one Steel Challenge comp i shot over 600 rounds in an afternoon practice and the two day match. In the end i sold my M&P9L, holsters and reloading gear. I relied on club guns and borrowed gear to maintain my licence and keep making my Cat H attendances until last year when i bought a .22LR pistol and recently a .357mag for SSAA combined services comps

I'm sure there are a few very experienced pistol shooters here who could write a very long and involved thread on the different disciplines and perhaps they will

Chronos

Thank you for that insight, I hope you make a comeback. As I judge your time on this forum by your position, I assume you know the experienced shooters who could best explain to us the plebs on what the different disciplines are and what is entailed in the shooting of IPSC etc. We all learn when those most learned like you and similar members share their experience. Be well.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 27 Oct 2014, 8:49 pm

well ill tell the truth,,slug gun in the backyard,sparrows,pigeons,pegs anything that moved or stayed still :oops: that all ended when a mate shot another mates younger brother,didn't even break the skin,little dobber :( moved to the country and up sized to a 22,so shot trees, cans,a single cat, rabbits, stones, stubbie caps and the occasional stubbie :oops: birds were off the list by that stage as it was just bad form to shoot a bird. all this started when i was around 10 so i learnt all the bad habits :lol: :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Westy » 27 Oct 2014, 8:55 pm

tom604 wrote:well ill tell the truth,,slug gun in the backyard,sparrows,pigeons,pegs anything that moved or stayed still :oops: that all ended when a mate shot another mates younger brother,didn't even break the skin,little dobber :( moved to the country and up sized to a 22,so shot trees, cans,a single cat, rabbits, stones, stubbie caps and the occasional stubbie :oops: birds were off the list by that stage as it was just bad form to shoot a bird. all this started when i was around 10 so i learnt all the bad habits :lol: :lol:

I once had a bird s**t on the windscreen ,never did ask her out again. although her sister was a right raver!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 27 Oct 2014, 8:58 pm

better on your windscreen than your chest :lol: :lol: :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by cavok » 27 Oct 2014, 9:26 pm

tom604 wrote:well ill tell the truth,,slug gun in the backyard,sparrows,pigeons,pegs anything that moved or stayed still :oops: that all ended when a mate shot another mates younger brother,didn't even break the skin,little dobber :( moved to the country and up sized to a 22,so shot trees, cans,a single cat, rabbits, stones, stubbie caps and the occasional stubbie :oops: birds were off the list by that stage as it was just bad form to shoot a bird. all this started when i was around 10 so i learnt all the bad habits :lol: :lol:

So much experience, so many lessons learnt. Now that those times have passed, (I assume) where are you now in the great scheme of things? And what have you passed on to your fellow man.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by PaWNTANK » 27 Oct 2014, 9:28 pm

Grew up in the country on a farm, can't actually remember the first time I went shooting, it was just a part of country life.
Friends, relatives and fellow country bumpkins alike all had a hand in teaching me to shoot.
I used to love spending weekends with my friends going through several bricks of 22lr and hundreds or shotgun shells out on the farm.
Marlin XT-22 Varmint
Howa 1500 Varmint .308 WIN
Remington 700 TAC 21 30-06 SPRG
Boito Reuna 12G
Gamo Cadet .177
PaWNTANK
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by mausermate » 27 Oct 2014, 9:44 pm

I grew up with guns. Just part and parcel of our farm. Started when I was 4 or 5. My father taught me the art of hunting and walking in the bush. He is 82 now and getting pretty slow but when I was a kid he could almost run through the bush and not make a sound, not a sound. He was a real bushman and we spent a lot of time getting close to animals without firing a shot. It's a great skill and I am very grateful.
I was also very fortunate to be educated at one of the Great Public Schools (GPS) in Sydney where shooting was a school sport. It still is today. I joined the shooting team pretty much first day, along with a few mates that were also boarders from the bush. We shot small bore at the Schools private range and Full Bore at Malabar and also Hornsby. I've said this on the forum before but I used to travel from Parramatta to Malabar on the train at 15 years old with a gun under my arm and all that was said was "going out for a shot are ya sonny". the good old days.
My father had never shot Full Bore until I went to school and he took it up to go shooting with me. Man! did he get the bug. Bought new Omarks for the both of us, we traveled across the country shooting full bore, and to NZ, had a ball.
He's retired from shooting, I'm flat out running the farm and waiting to do it all again with my son. Also a keen shot.
Lets hope Agriculture booms again, I can retire, grab my old man and my son and we can go shooting together. My dream.
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 28 Oct 2014, 6:25 am

Lets hope Agriculture booms again good luck Mauser ,it's Bloody Tuff out there at present. Did you get any of that rain in the last few weeks???? It's dry as a camel's fart up here in SW Qld :cry: :| :cry:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by mausermate » 28 Oct 2014, 7:16 am

Westy wrote:Lets hope Agriculture booms again good luck Mauser ,it's Bloody Tuff out there at present. Did you get any of that rain in the last few weeks???? It's dry as a camel's fart up here in SW Qld :cry: :| :cry:

It's okay down here in central NSW thanks Westy. We are doing better than most. I shouldn't complain, 43 degrees in St George yesterday, I'll bet its dry there. We need some rain, but better than last year.
Seems its pretty tuff whatever you do theses days. Lets hope everything booms and we can all go shooting :D
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 28 Oct 2014, 9:43 am

Self taught.

Picked up a rifle and was pretty ordinary to start as you'd expect.

Most info/advice/etc. gathered from forums for questions I had and practical experience from trying things myself.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by MeccaOz » 28 Oct 2014, 4:00 pm

Warrigul wrote:
Westy wrote:

MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by cruze82 » 28 Oct 2014, 9:14 pm

Im another one for grandfather and my dad for learning to shoot
I was given the .410 shotgun and sent into the forrest at an early age in the great lakes area in Tasmania and have some really great memories of fishing in catchment ponds and shooting deer around Tarraleah

latter in life I was employed to teach others to shoot took me 1\2 way around the world and back. Now days just for fun!!!!!! :D ;) :D[/quot

come on Westy tell us what you were employed to do and make us all jealous
cruze82
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Westy » 29 Oct 2014, 7:30 am

I will dig out some pics and scan them and then up load them!!!!Bugger your making it hard!!!!!
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by chrispy88 » 29 Oct 2014, 8:12 am

Spent my first 11 years in Wagga where the family had a little property n was just of the age where i was allowed to go hunting with dad/grandad/uncles when we moved to south coast NSW. A messy divorce ensued between mum and dad which resulted in dad losing the gun licence n guns! :o :(

So i got my licence at 21 and have been self taught since then, soaking up what i can from these forums, old blokes at the range, the odd youtube video etc etc.
Tikka T3 Lite SS .308 / VXII 3-9x40
Howa HB SS .223 / Viper PST 4-16x50
Savage Mk II BTVS .22LR / VXI 3-9x40
Lithgow Model 1 .22LR
Miroku MK10 Sporter 12g
W. W. Greener Martini action 12g
chrispy88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 29 Oct 2014, 8:15 am

Thought there may be some serving or ex members or also military here, former or serving, they must be keeping a low profile, huh? 8-) They must have some great stories.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 29 Oct 2014, 8:20 am

cavok wrote:Thought there may be some serving or ex members or also military here, former or serving, they must be keeping a low profile, huh? 8-) They must have some great stories.

Thank You!!!!!!!! Someone's up with the program :!: :!: :!:

Will find pics of non related hunting trips in north America :D :) :D
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by whert » 29 Oct 2014, 1:32 pm

Call of Duty.

j/k, soz! :lol:
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by cavok » 29 Oct 2014, 1:45 pm

whert wrote:Call of Duty.

j/k, soz! :lol:

My son plays that and those guys shoot better than I do, I also need one of their weapons, holds more ammunition than mine ever did, and they have weapons far more accurate than mine. Loved the days back when used the Remington shotgun, L1A1 and my .9mm, all in one day, now we settle for the likes of 7 round Chinese shotguns, .233 pump action and side arms, not quite the same as it was then. Think I might borrow my sons Xbox. :roll:
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles