New addition

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: New addition

Post by Chronos » 30 Oct 2014, 8:17 pm

right, nothing here....even Westy's wimped out :lol:

so i'll crash Brett's party with my most recent buy, sorry brett :mrgreen:

Bought as a project it's an OLD Tikka LSA55, originally chambered in 22-250. I have a sporter weight 7mm 1:10 twist barrel blank here. It will be chambered in 7X47, a wildcat based on the accurate and efficient 6.5X47 Lapua cartridge. If all goes to plan it will do everything my 7-08 will do with about 4gr less powder and in a light weight classic old Tikka. Why you may ask? because i want to :lol:

I'll start my own thread as i get into it of course hopefully with some helpful stuff for anyone who's looking at doing a custom gun of some kind.

Chronos

it's a beat up ute gun, nearly 40 y old at a guess but i think it will clean up OK once the timber is rubbed back and the new barrel and all the metal work cerakoted, remember there is no plastic in these old Tikka's

and here is a loaded round (on left) with a 130gr speer next to a 7-08 with 140gr corelokt
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by mausermate » 30 Oct 2014, 8:27 pm

thank God! I've been waiting here for two days...........
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 30 Oct 2014, 10:38 pm

The days not over and as promised....
This afternoon I welcomed the addition of a brand spanking new Gen 2 DTA HTI in .375 Cheytac. Some of you probably guessed this was coming cause I've mentioned it before. As an added bonus the .416 Barrett conversion kit came as well so I'll be collecting that next week. Picked the rifle up, came home for dinner and headed to the range for a little fun. Took the little Sako .204 Ruger as well to sight in and for something to do while waiting for the DTA to cool down between shots. I will break this barrel in properly according to the advice from the factory. Fired some 350Gr SMK's backed by 134Gr of ADI AR2225 and the velocity was near on a perfect match for what my research indicated. Managed about 3070fps (I'll post the chrono data tomorrow night).
Initial thoughts are mixed....the trigger needs a little creep adjusted out, the recoil is more then I expected but it's a push so easily managed. It's an inch high @ 50m with the scope wound as low as it goes. I'll eventually zero it at 200m but for the time being it can stay where it is. I suspect that I've now stuffed a 2nd NightForce scope cause the elevation is all over the place when elevation is sitting on Zero. Might slap some zero MOA rings on it and see if having the x-hairs mid adjustment improves elevation. My Steyr HS50 is having the exact same issue....might have to bite the bullet and swap over to a Khales 624i
Next steps will be to break in the barrel and get serious on developing a .375 load for it, then I'll repeat the process with the other 2 barrels :D The rifle is short enough and light enough to make hunting with 50BMG a possibility.

Better pictures over the weekend when I've got a little more time.

Don't ask me why this one's upside down, photobucket is misbehaving.

Woodleigh 350Gr VLD and 350Gr SMK

Best 5 shot group @ 50m - Can't say I'm happy with this one

Best 6 shot group @ 50m - .204 Ruger - Factory Hornady rounds...the things a laser :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 30 Oct 2014, 11:12 pm

Ohhhhhhh yeahhhhhh ... Hey Since I dont live in NSW Brett, mind sending it to me with 100 rounds so I cant have a go ?

Beautiful gun mate... Guess the missus is gunna be pissed when I take her and trade her in for one of these. I havent looked at the states, how do the 275, 416 and 50BMG compare ?
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Chronos » 31 Oct 2014, 5:20 am

350gr at 3000fps eh? That'll generate a " push " alright.

I agree having the erector tube centered will help the scope deal with recoil.

Well it was worth the wait, I'd be keen to see some pics of the Sako too over the weekend.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Bennybigbores » 31 Oct 2014, 5:59 am

Yep my jealous misery has returned.............very nice rifle Brett how many kids you got? Looking to adopt a 35 year old boy to take hunting? ? ?
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 31 Oct 2014, 6:22 am

Well it took some work but you finally came up with the package!!!LOL And a bloody nice Package it is!!!! Still trying to get my head around 350Grns @ 3000FPS.All I can say is AWESOME Rifle Brett!!!!!

http://youtu.be/LBduNcf1eQc
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Lyam » 31 Oct 2014, 1:21 pm

Redemption!

It was worth the wait :lol:
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Carter » 31 Oct 2014, 1:21 pm

Awww yeah, that's ruuurl nice.
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by mausermate » 31 Oct 2014, 4:01 pm

Lyam wrote:Redemption!

It was worth the wait :lol:

X2.
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 31 Oct 2014, 7:35 pm

Some chronograph data from last night, interesting the velocity difference between the SMK & Woodleigh given that they are the same weight and charge. Since I'm using a MagnetoSpeed chronograph which measures muzzle velocity the difference I assume can only be attributed to higher pressures firing the brass projectiles. There were no signs of over pressure on the cases, primers look fine and not flattened so there's scope to increase the load a fraction though I'll do more research around the velocities I should be getting. As a comparison my 338 Lap propels a 300gr projectile at a meagre 2560fps which is a full 500fps slower then the .375 Cheytac on 350Gr SMK's...The giant bunnies up north are in for a rude shock in a couple weeks time :D

350Gr Sierra Match King #9350T 134Gr AR2225 CCI 250 LMR C.O.A.L 4.425
Series 1 Shots: 6
Min 3062 Max 3072
Avg 3066 S-D 4.3
ES 10

Shot Speed
1 / 3072 ft/s
2 / 3070 ft/s
3 / 3063 ft/s
4 / 3062 ft/s
5 / 3069 ft/s
6 / 3063 ft/s
---- ---- ---- ----

Woodleigh 350Gr VLD Brass 134Gr AR2225 CCI 250 LMR C.O.A.L 4.303
Series 2 Shots: 5
Min 3159 Max 3192
Avg 3171 S-D 12.4
ES 33
Shot Speed
1 / 3192 ft/s
2 / 3172 ft/s
3 / 3159 ft/s
4 / 3167 ft/s
5 / 3167 ft/s
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by AussieTimmeh » 31 Oct 2014, 8:42 pm

Wow, that's a rifle and a half, and some super fast velocities to go with it. Nice one!
Savage Model 10 BAT/S .308, Savage Mk II .22LR, RBD Omni-Break 500 Nitro Express
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 31 Oct 2014, 8:49 pm

With the sierra running an ES of 10fps it's certainly looking promising.

How do you find the chronograph? I'm considering upgrading mine.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 31 Oct 2014, 9:39 pm

Chronos wrote:With the sierra running an ES of 10fps it's certainly looking promising.

Chronos

I love the simplicity of the MagnetoSpeed, I can attach it fast, it has a good reputation for accuracy and I've tried it on 17 Remington through to 375 Cheytac without having to adjust the sensitivity plus it works anywhere no matter what without the need for sunlight or UV lighting. I've put over 1000 rounds over it and it hasn't misread or missed even one shot. Bought mine from https://www.precisionshooting.com.au/shop/magnetospeed-v3-chronograph/ which are in Perth, Glen's a great guy and extremely helpful. I'm planning to do his 5 day long range course next year providing I can get management approval (wife).
The only problem I had was that the bayonet won't clear the giant muzzle brakes on the Steyr or M99. I contacted Glen, who managed to piece together a V2 bayonet for a good price and post it over. I cut it and extended it using some carbon fibre sheet and epoxy then a layer of woven heat shrink before a thicker layer of clear heat shrink. Looks like a bought one and once I get bush in a couple of weeks I'll try it out on the Steyr and M99 cause I'm busting a nut to see what velocities they are punching lead out at.

Baby food from Woodleigh
Last edited by brett1868 on 31 Oct 2014, 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 31 Oct 2014, 10:27 pm

MeccaOz wrote:Ohhhhhhh yeahhhhhh ... Hey Since I dont live in NSW Brett, mind sending it to me with 100 rounds so I cant have a go ?

Beautiful gun mate... Guess the missus is gunna be pissed when I take her and trade her in for one of these. I havent looked at the states, how do the 275, 416 and 50BMG compare ?

I've got 2 barrels at the moment and the third being collected Friday next week so it'll be capable of 375 Cheytac, 416 Barrett & 50 BMG. My neighbour and shooting buddy was over this afternoon so I slapped the 50 barrel in to get an idea of weight & balance. It's surprisingly manageable and could be grunted around on a sling if you were keen and not going too far. I'm sure it'll kick like a mule given its light weight (Compared to the Steyr), I've seen chicks on YouTube shoot these things so it can't be that bad, I'll either man up or get another shoulder reconstruction.

I am planning 3 days up bush, taking the Steyr HS50, Barrett M99, DTA SRS and the DTA HTI plus a small fortune in ammo. I want to shoot these things side by side and compare for feel & accuracy. I'll be sure to take pictures and possibly some video though I don't like posting too much video in a public place lest the greenies find me and setup some anti gun camp in my front yard. If there's anything in particular you want to see then let me know, if possible I'll try and get some video of the humane way I dispatch grunters.

If you get up to Sydney, get in touch and I'll see what can done getting a few shots in for you.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 31 Oct 2014, 10:35 pm

Bennybigbores wrote:Yep my jealous misery has returned.............very nice rifle Brett how many kids you got? Looking to adopt a 35 year old boy to take hunting? ? ?

I have a 9yr old son so it'd be a bit of an age difference adopting you though he's always wanted a brother. I'll have a talk to senior management and get back to you...
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by ailar » 01 Nov 2014, 5:27 pm

Something about those packs of bullets looks awesome :D
ailar
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Chronos » 01 Nov 2014, 5:36 pm

ailar wrote:Something about those packs of bullets looks awesome :D

bullets? i thought that was his cases :lol:

they sure look fast...and exxy :(

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 01 Nov 2014, 6:26 pm

Just for fun I swapped over to the 50BMG barrel to see how it felt...Surprisingly not too bad with an all up weight with 5 rounds in the mag was 11.3kg.

Aggressive muzzle brake...

L-R 50BMG, 416 Barrett, 375 Chey (Woodleigh), 375 Chey (SMK), 338 Lap Mag, 12Ga, 22LR

L-R 375 Chey, 416 Barrret (CVLD), 50BMG Woodleigh, 50BMG Hornady Giant Bunny Vaporiser

The business end
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 01 Nov 2014, 6:33 pm

I hope i never see that end of one of those :lol:

good stuff mate

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 02 Nov 2014, 7:12 am

Tell me Brett are those Atlas bipods the goods??? I guess yes is the answer seeing your using one, would you change it out for something different???

Cheers Westy
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 02 Nov 2014, 3:29 pm

brett1868 wrote:
Chronos wrote:With the sierra running an ES of 10fps it's certainly looking promising.

Chronos

I love the simplicity of the MagnetoSpeed, I can attach it fast, it has a good reputation for accuracy and I've tried it on 17 Remington through to 375 Cheytac without having to adjust the sensitivity plus it works anywhere no matter what without the need for sunlight or UV lighting. I've put over 1000 rounds over it and it hasn't misread or missed even one shot. Bought mine from https://www.precisionshooting.com.au/shop/magnetospeed-v3-chronograph/ which are in Perth, Glen's a great guy and extremely helpful. I'm planning to do his 5 day long range course next year providing I can get management approval (wife).
The only problem I had was that the bayonet won't clear the giant muzzle brakes on the Steyr or M99. I contacted Glen, who managed to piece together a V2 bayonet for a good price and post it over. I cut it and extended it using some carbon fibre sheet and epoxy then a layer of woven heat shrink before a thicker layer of clear heat shrink. Looks like a bought one and once I get bush in a couple of weeks I'll try it out on the Steyr and M99 cause I'm busting a nut to see what velocities they are punching lead out at.

have you noticed any ill effect of having the unit barrel mounted? change in POI or group size/shape?

i only ask through ignorance, i've never seen one of those in the flesh and that is the only con i can see. it has massive pro's as far as being able to use it, deploy it at ranges like st marys, as well as other ranges without waiting for a range closure......and there's zero chance of a mate shooting it :lol:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 02 Nov 2014, 9:32 pm

Westy wrote:Tell me Brett are those Atlas bipods the goods??? I guess yes is the answer seeing your using one, would you change it out for something different???

Cheers Westy

At this stage I'm undecided on this particular model from Atlas. On the lighter SRS it feels nice and solid but on it's bigger brother it seems to lack that solid feel. Was looking at other options on Friday, I know the one I'm looking for but buggered if I can remember it's name or who made it. Rifle sits in a semi circle cradle and the legs go up the side...back to Googling...
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 02 Nov 2014, 9:38 pm

"have you noticed any ill effect of having the unit barrel mounted? change in POI or group size/shape?

i only ask through ignorance, i've never seen one of those in the flesh and that is the only con i can see. it has massive pro's as far as being able to use it, deploy it at ranges like st marys, as well as other ranges without waiting for a range closure......and there's zero chance of a mate shooting it :lol:"

If you want to try before you buy you're welcome to come out to St Marys one Tue or Thur night and give it a go. Most of the chronograph work I do at St Marys over 50m so near impossible to tell if it affects accuracy. PM me if you want to meet up one night to throw some loads over it, lemme know if there's anything in the collection you'd like to shoot so I can bring it along.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by North East » 02 Nov 2014, 9:42 pm

Nice looking muzzle brake, hope the freaking thing works.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 02 Nov 2014, 9:42 pm

brett1868 wrote:
Bennybigbores wrote:Yep my jealous misery has returned.............very nice rifle Brett how many kids you got? Looking to adopt a 35 year old boy to take hunting? ? ?

I have a 9yr old son so it'd be a bit of an age difference adopting you though he's always wanted a brother. I'll have a talk to senior management and get back to you...

Benny...I've consulted senior management and had my request rejected. Her reason was that she's already caretaking for one large hairy mammal and I consume all available resources. Sorry mate...
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 03 Nov 2014, 6:52 am

brett1868 wrote:
If you want to try before you buy you're welcome to come out to St Marys one Tue or Thur night and give it a go. Most of the chronograph work I do at St Marys over 50m so near impossible to tell if it affects accuracy. PM me if you want to meet up one night to throw some loads over it, lemme know if there's anything in the collection you'd like to shoot so I can bring it along.

Thanks mate, I'll have a think about it. That's the major draw back about every other unit, having to put it out on the range. I thought about the better units ( better than my RCBS that it) and even with the thousand dollar Kurzzeit UV unit has to be out out and risk being shot

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Combat_Wombat » 03 Nov 2014, 9:10 pm

I was excited about my .204 rocking up and showing it off...

Then I saw this post :cry:

I'll have to get a tacticool 300wm to make myself feel better now!
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 03 Nov 2014, 10:08 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:I was excited about my .204 rocking up and showing it off...

Then I saw this post :cry:

I'll have to get a tacticool 300wm to make myself feel better now!

Show it off, pictures, thoughts, impressions, I keen to hear what you think. I have a Sako Varmint S/S in .204 and loving it, can't wait to add some pictures to the headshot gallery from it. Damn fast round and I'll run some factory Hornady over the chronograph Thursday night just to see if it's as quick as the box says it is. The only thing faster than the .204 is cash leaving my wallet in a gunshop :D
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Combat_Wombat » 03 Nov 2014, 10:51 pm

Still waiting for the barreled action and permit to come through so hopefully pics later this week.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles