New addition

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: New addition

Post by brett1868 » 01 Nov 2014, 6:26 pm

Just for fun I swapped over to the 50BMG barrel to see how it felt...Surprisingly not too bad with an all up weight with 5 rounds in the mag was 11.3kg.

Aggressive muzzle brake...

L-R 50BMG, 416 Barrett, 375 Chey (Woodleigh), 375 Chey (SMK), 338 Lap Mag, 12Ga, 22LR

L-R 375 Chey, 416 Barrret (CVLD), 50BMG Woodleigh, 50BMG Hornady Giant Bunny Vaporiser

The business end
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 01 Nov 2014, 6:33 pm

I hope i never see that end of one of those :lol:

good stuff mate

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 02 Nov 2014, 7:12 am

Tell me Brett are those Atlas bipods the goods??? I guess yes is the answer seeing your using one, would you change it out for something different???

Cheers Westy
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 02 Nov 2014, 3:29 pm

brett1868 wrote:
Chronos wrote:With the sierra running an ES of 10fps it's certainly looking promising.

How do you find the chronograph? I'm considering upgrading mine.

Chronos

I love the simplicity of the MagnetoSpeed, I can attach it fast, it has a good reputation for accuracy and I've tried it on 17 Remington through to 375 Cheytac without having to adjust the sensitivity plus it works anywhere no matter what without the need for sunlight or UV lighting. I've put over 1000 rounds over it and it hasn't misread or missed even one shot. Bought mine from https://www.precisionshooting.com.au/shop/magnetospeed-v3-chronograph/ which are in Perth, Glen's a great guy and extremely helpful. I'm planning to do his 5 day long range course next year providing I can get management approval (wife).
The only problem I had was that the bayonet won't clear the giant muzzle brakes on the Steyr or M99. I contacted Glen, who managed to piece together a V2 bayonet for a good price and post it over. I cut it and extended it using some carbon fibre sheet and epoxy then a layer of woven heat shrink before a thicker layer of clear heat shrink. Looks like a bought one and once I get bush in a couple of weeks I'll try it out on the Steyr and M99 cause I'm busting a nut to see what velocities they are punching lead out at.

have you noticed any ill effect of having the unit barrel mounted? change in POI or group size/shape?

i only ask through ignorance, i've never seen one of those in the flesh and that is the only con i can see. it has massive pro's as far as being able to use it, deploy it at ranges like st marys, as well as other ranges without waiting for a range closure......and there's zero chance of a mate shooting it :lol:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 02 Nov 2014, 9:32 pm

Westy wrote:Tell me Brett are those Atlas bipods the goods??? I guess yes is the answer seeing your using one, would you change it out for something different???

Cheers Westy

At this stage I'm undecided on this particular model from Atlas. On the lighter SRS it feels nice and solid but on it's bigger brother it seems to lack that solid feel. Was looking at other options on Friday, I know the one I'm looking for but buggered if I can remember it's name or who made it. Rifle sits in a semi circle cradle and the legs go up the side...back to Googling...
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 02 Nov 2014, 9:38 pm

"have you noticed any ill effect of having the unit barrel mounted? change in POI or group size/shape?

i only ask through ignorance, i've never seen one of those in the flesh and that is the only con i can see. it has massive pro's as far as being able to use it, deploy it at ranges like st marys, as well as other ranges without waiting for a range closure......and there's zero chance of a mate shooting it :lol:"

If you want to try before you buy you're welcome to come out to St Marys one Tue or Thur night and give it a go. Most of the chronograph work I do at St Marys over 50m so near impossible to tell if it affects accuracy. PM me if you want to meet up one night to throw some loads over it, lemme know if there's anything in the collection you'd like to shoot so I can bring it along.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by North East » 02 Nov 2014, 9:42 pm

Nice looking muzzle brake, hope the freaking thing works.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 02 Nov 2014, 9:42 pm

brett1868 wrote:
Bennybigbores wrote:Yep my jealous misery has returned.............very nice rifle Brett how many kids you got? Looking to adopt a 35 year old boy to take hunting? ? ?

I have a 9yr old son so it'd be a bit of an age difference adopting you though he's always wanted a brother. I'll have a talk to senior management and get back to you...

Benny...I've consulted senior management and had my request rejected. Her reason was that she's already caretaking for one large hairy mammal and I consume all available resources. Sorry mate...
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 03 Nov 2014, 6:52 am

brett1868 wrote:
If you want to try before you buy you're welcome to come out to St Marys one Tue or Thur night and give it a go. Most of the chronograph work I do at St Marys over 50m so near impossible to tell if it affects accuracy. PM me if you want to meet up one night to throw some loads over it, lemme know if there's anything in the collection you'd like to shoot so I can bring it along.

Thanks mate, I'll have a think about it. That's the major draw back about every other unit, having to put it out on the range. I thought about the better units ( better than my RCBS that it) and even with the thousand dollar Kurzzeit UV unit has to be out out and risk being shot

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Combat_Wombat » 03 Nov 2014, 9:10 pm

I was excited about my .204 rocking up and showing it off...

Then I saw this post :cry:

I'll have to get a tacticool 300wm to make myself feel better now!
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 03 Nov 2014, 10:08 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:I was excited about my .204 rocking up and showing it off...

Show it off, pictures, thoughts, impressions, I keen to hear what you think. I have a Sako Varmint S/S in .204 and loving it, can't wait to add some pictures to the headshot gallery from it. Damn fast round and I'll run some factory Hornady over the chronograph Thursday night just to see if it's as quick as the box says it is. The only thing faster than the .204 is cash leaving my wallet in a gunshop :D
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Combat_Wombat » 03 Nov 2014, 10:51 pm

Still waiting for the barreled action and permit to come through so hopefully pics later this week.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Combat_Wombat » 03 Nov 2014, 10:55 pm

Yeah I picked up 5 boxes of hornady 32gn factory loads to get me started. They are dearer then my .270 but If I wanted cheap I would have gone with a .223 :lol:
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by chacho » 05 Nov 2014, 4:31 pm

Chronos wrote:I hope i never see that end of one of those :lol:

I dunno, at least if you see it that close you've got a chance to get the F out of the way! :D
chacho
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 06 Nov 2014, 8:42 am

I've started making some enquiries about getting one of these imported....I see this as having my love of technology and passion for shooting in one package.

http://tracking-point.com/precision-guided-firearms/xs1-precision-guided-338-lm-tactical-stock

As a general update to this thread, I've organised 3 days off next week and the weather is looking good up north. Currently in the process of working out O.A.L for the.375 Cheytac barrel using 350Gr SMK's. One of the added bonus's on the DTA rifles is I can pull the barrel out which makes this task quite simple not to mention piss easy to clean the bore / brake. I've loaded 200 rounds of .375 of varying amounts of powder from 133Gr to 135Gr in .5gr increments, concentricity less then .001" and cases all weighed trimmed and prepared identically. I have prepared 200 rounds of .416 Barrett and 50 BMG in a similar fashion along with 200 rounds of Hornady Factory 50 BMG so it's going to be a punishing 3 days for the shoulder and wallet. I'll charge up the video cameras and hopefully capture a bit of the fun. This trip I'm going to pack my reloading gear so I can do some development whilst there cause I may not get a chance to shoot out to 2000m till next February / March and I want to make the most of this trip.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by nords » 06 Nov 2014, 6:05 pm

Good luck with it.

Wonder how the 'military appearance' flag is going to go with it...
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 06 Nov 2014, 6:16 pm

brett1868 wrote:
MeccaOz wrote:Ohhhhhhh yeahhhhhh ... Hey Since I dont live in NSW Brett, mind sending it to me with 100 rounds so I cant have a go ?

Beautiful gun mate... Guess the missus is gunna be pissed when I take her and trade her in for one of these. I havent looked at the states, how do the 275, 416 and 50BMG compare ?

I've got 2 barrels at the moment and the third being collected Friday next week so it'll be capable of 375 Cheytac, 416 Barrett & 50 BMG. My neighbour and shooting buddy was over this afternoon so I slapped the 50 barrel in to get an idea of weight & balance. It's surprisingly manageable and could be grunted around on a sling if you were keen and not going too far. I'm sure it'll kick like a mule given its light weight (Compared to the Steyr), I've seen chicks on YouTube shoot these things so it can't be that bad, I'll either man up or get another shoulder reconstruction.

I am planning 3 days up bush, taking the Steyr HS50, Barrett M99, DTA SRS and the DTA HTI plus a small fortune in ammo. I want to shoot these things side by side and compare for feel & accuracy. I'll be sure to take pictures and possibly some video though I don't like posting too much video in a public place lest the greenies find me and setup some anti gun camp in my front yard. If there's anything in particular you want to see then let me know, if possible I'll try and get some video of the humane way I dispatch grunters.

If you get up to Sydney, get in touch and I'll see what can done getting a few shots in for you.

If I get to Sydney I'll be sure to, Thanks HEAPS :D .. Mate any video of you doing your thing with these things WILL BE AWESOME !
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Chronos » 06 Nov 2014, 6:49 pm

brett1868 wrote:
Combat_Wombat wrote:I was excited about my .204 rocking up and showing it off...

Show it off, pictures, thoughts, impressions, I keen to hear what you think. I have a Sako Varmint S/S in .204 and loving it, can't wait to add some pictures to the headshot gallery from it. Damn fast round and I'll run some factory Hornady over the chronograph Thursday night just to see if it's as quick as the box says it is. The only thing faster than the .204 is cash leaving my wallet in a gunshop :D

I realise it's already Thursday night but I'll post anyway.

For you comparison the hornady factory 32gr stuff shot an average of 3872fps out of our CZ 527 and grouped under 1 1/2" at 200y. the 40gr averaged 3526fps and grouped a little over 2" at 200y.

I settled on a load of 32ge Vmax over 28.2gr of 2208. Never bothered testing it over the chrony. It would consistently cloverleaf on paper at 100m and that's good enough for me. Never fired in anger yet though.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 06 Nov 2014, 7:19 pm

nords wrote:Image

Good luck with it.

Wonder how the 'military appearance' flag is going to go with it...

I've had it confirmed by a local dealer that's seen one in action that he can indeed import it so that's a good start. With the current exchange rate, shipping, duties, taxes etc etc it'll be around $34-$36k delivered. If it still excites me after Christmas I'll do the research and see if it stacks up to the hype before auctioning off a kidney....they grow back...don't they? :D
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Prettybird » 07 Nov 2014, 12:29 pm

f*** mate, 35k!!!!!
Prettybird
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by FuzzyM » 07 Nov 2014, 8:06 pm

34-36 Grand......... :shock:
I had to put a Savage Axis on lay-buy.... :oops:
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by lole » 08 Nov 2014, 12:53 pm

They say you should be happy for other peoples success... but f*** that I want one :lol:
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 08 Nov 2014, 8:19 pm

Got royally screwed over by work and have to delay my trip north by at least 2 weeks though I'm not too pissed as I haven't had the time to prepare as much as I wanted. Picked up some projectiles this morning from the good gents over at Magnum Sports, I went the giant economy 500 pack size of .375 SMK's for the Cheytac. Buying in bulk like this saves a surprising amount of coin and should last me some time. When you load >10,000 rounds a year any opportunity to save a few bucks soon adds up.

Also picked up one of these, the spotlight my cousin has is way past retirement and anything past 150m is safe. Hopefully this will be an improvement and will help me to see the giant bunnies out past 400m.

How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 09 Nov 2014, 8:26 am

Gotta Love them giant Easter Bunnies,Did I read that right Brett 350 Grns Wooooowa that's heavy Doc!!!!!!!LOL

http://youtu.be/Urg-EqR-pHc

Yep Doc you need a 50 cal to shoot bunnies!!!!LOL
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by sha » 09 Nov 2014, 9:08 pm

50BMG Hornady Giant Bunny Vaporiser

The tip on that thing is a bullet in itself :lol:
Savage Axis The Definition of Accuracy

Savage 93 .22 WMR
Savage 93R17 .17 HMR
Savage 110FP .308 WIN
sha
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Chronos » 10 Nov 2014, 6:43 am

You'll be happy with the 240 blitz.

I ended up buying a fold up mount for it that I can fit to my roof racks, we found the passenger side snorkel in my ute got in the way a lot previously

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by veep » 10 Nov 2014, 9:41 am

brett1868 wrote:When you load >10,000 rounds a year any opportunity to save a few bucks soon adds up.

10,000 damn you shoot a lot :lol:
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 10 Nov 2014, 10:00 am

Chronos wrote:You'll be happy with the 240 blitz.

I ended up buying a fold up mount for it that I can fit to my roof racks, we found the passenger side snorkel in my ute got in the way a lot previously

Chronos

I have a young relative who makes for a perfect voice operated mount. I had a lightforce spotlight many years ago with the cheapass plastic toggle switch on the back that broke 4th time I used it. The new version appears to have a much better switch so I'll see how it goes. Will be heading out to the range tonight to chrono some loads on the .204 and .375 cause you and the CombatWombat got me curious about the speed of the .204. Going to see how fast135gr of powder will push out the 350gr SMK's from the HTI. I'll throw a couple rounds down range, checking cases for signs of pressure after each shot. Currently the SMK's launch at 3070fps and I'm chasing 3150fps to match the factory loaded rounds velocity.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 10 Nov 2014, 10:16 am

brett1868 wrote:
Chronos wrote:You'll be happy with the 240 blitz.

Chronos

I have a young relative who makes for a perfect voice operated mount. I had a lightforce spotlight many years ago with the cheapass plastic toggle switch on the back that broke 4th time I used it. The new version appears to have a much better switch so I'll see how it goes. Will be heading out to the range tonight to chrono some loads on the .204 and .375 cause you and the CombatWombat got me curious about the speed of the .204. Going to see how fast135gr of powder will push out the 350gr SMK's from the HTI. I'll throw a couple rounds down range, checking cases for signs of pressure after each shot. Currently the SMK's launch at 3070fps and I'm chasing 3150fps to match the factory loaded rounds velocity.

Cool, if I'm outta here at a reasonable hour (currently sitting in a jury room waiting to get not selected) I'll join you with my CZ. .204

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 10 Nov 2014, 10:19 am

I'm usually there around 6-6:30 depending on traffic....won't be hard to find me, just follow your ears :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles