Gunsmith course in Australia

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Gunsmith course in Australia

Post by Seconds » 06 Oct 2013, 8:45 am

I'm interested in getting more hands on with my shooting gear with a few to working in the shooting industry in the future.

I've been working retail for a while but am keen to get some trade qualifications under my belt with a few to gunsmithing in the future.

Is there a gunsmith course in Australia or something equivalent?

I know we don't have the same industry or demand for this stuff as the US where there are gunsmithing courses specifically, but there must be something here to get me on the right track?
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Gunsmith course in Australia

Post by Noisydad » 06 Oct 2013, 10:26 am

Probably the best you could do would to get a cert 3 or 4 engineering/fitting machining (or whatever it's called now) or locksmithing at Tafe.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Norton » 06 Oct 2013, 4:42 pm

Yep, there won't be a "gunsmithing" course specifically.

You'll be looking at something more generic in engineering and metal fabrication.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blackened » 06 Oct 2013, 4:44 pm

Mechanical fitting and turning would be your best bet. An you could look into more advanced engineering and machinist education in due course depending on how technical you want to get in terms of work and modifications you're able to perform.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Hercl » 06 Oct 2013, 4:56 pm

Something like this might be your starter, Engineering in Mechanical Trade: http://bit.ly/179AVUk
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by von_klitzing » 21 Mar 2014, 8:13 pm

I did my fitting and Turning trade, then joined the army as a Fitter/Armorer and got RPL and pushed through the trade course, but got the Armorers course pretty quick.

It's a good course, a crash course in weapon and ballistics history and theory, then get to work on military weapons... Pistols, rifles .22 and .308, shotguns, Rocket Launchers, Grenade launchers etc.

Only prob is it's all parts replacement, not repairs if you get what I mean. So you cannot go and drill a hole in the receiver here, or thread the barrel there lol.

Simply inspect and replace parts as required. Although repetitive, it's a good start and you could ask around for part time work at a gunsmith after hours or on weekends.

Also potential for further work with spec ops weapons, US military weapons, mounted weapons, mortars, guns (M777A1 - 155mm) etc.

You'll also work on general engineering stuff like marine equipment, welding, small engines, and a myriad of other gear.

Also fun to get on big boys toys like ride in a chinook or blackhawk, watch or participate in cavalry (bushmaster, tanks) doing battle runs, work alongside SAS, and the list goes on.

You could also specialize as an ammo tech later on if you were elegible. Good experience IMO. It does have it's downsides though lol. DYOR.

I am a civvy now though... couldn't be happier ;)
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Kipper » 22 Mar 2014, 1:15 pm

This is all Australia Army von_klitzing?

Or where?
Kipper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by von_klitzing » 22 Mar 2014, 4:37 pm

Kipper wrote:This is all Australia Army von_klitzing?

Or where?

Yep Australian army. I'm not trying to recruit you lol, just sharing my experience.
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Kipper » 23 Mar 2014, 10:24 am

Ha ha.

It's all good :)

From the mention of US weapons and some of those vehicles I wasn't sure which way you meant was all :)

Sounded like a different variety of stuff than I expected from the Australian army was all.
Kipper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Centerfire rifles