Hard bolt lift on HOWA

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Hard bolt lift on HOWA

Post by Warrigul » 08 Oct 2013, 12:22 pm

reddog wrote:I have had it happen with factory loads in my .223. Once with Hornady Superformance and a couple with

Federal PowerShoks, I don't think I have had it happen with my reloads , mind you it does crater the primer

a bit I am using Winchester brass , 24.8 gns of Benchmark 8208 , CCi 400 primers and Sierra 55gn SuperRoos

This rifle is getting around the 1200 rd mark , so I don't think its a great deal to worry about ?

Different primer might be a bit harder?

Funny that it is doing it with factory ammo but those two brands are moving pretty well.

I can't see the rifle or the case so I am only guessing really, cratering can be a worry if the rest of the primer is flat. Worst issue if it is commonplace is pitting on the boltface or danger to your health, the gases are meant to go out the end of the muzzle.

BR4 benchrest CCI primers eliminated my initial primer problems in my .223 for an extra $2 per 100, but was band aiding th problem really. Bushing the bolt eliminated them totally, is it worth it in your case? You are the judge of that but I am wary of exhaust gases even in a stoutly contructed Howa.

Personally I am rather fond of my eyes and always wear safety glasses in case of ruptured primers and cases etc but then I am not your mother.

Good luck and let us know how you go. I am interested.

Remember I am not a gunsmith nor an expert.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by redrum » 08 Oct 2013, 12:44 pm

Warrigul wrote:Personally I am rather fond of my eyes and always wear safety glasses in case of ruptured primers and cases etc. but then I am not your mother.

I've got to start wearing glasses at the range.

I'm not so worried about a rupture, but I always find my eyes are a little off afterwards because of the muzzle blast of my neighbours.

Constant puffs in the face of air or dust whatever each time they fire add up after an hour or two.
Good news, everyone!
- Hubert J. Farnsworth
redrum
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by reddog » 08 Oct 2013, 12:54 pm

The rest of the primer is pretty good , not extremely flattened. This rifle was sent away as part of the recall

but they only check the barrel witness marks anyway. I do have a little trouble seating primers ( it is the

most nerve racking job to do with reloading i think ) as in I think I have a bit of trouble getting them to

seat deep enough , I occasionally slightly dent the primer. I use a RCBS hand primer to seat my primers.

I suppose this is getting a bit of topic now and should be in the hand loading catagory
reddog
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 08 Oct 2013, 1:56 pm

reddog wrote:I occasionally slightly dent the primer. I use a RCBS hand primer to seat my primers.

Shouldn't be an issue if it's very slight.

I have the RCBS hand priming tool too. I use Federal large rifle primers for my .308 and .243 and occasionally dent one.

It's a crescent shape imprint about 1/5th of a mm or so deep. Is this what you get also?

Never had a miss-fire or other issue from it though in either rifle.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by reddog » 08 Oct 2013, 2:22 pm

Yep thats the one , I dont think it a great problem though , as you say I've never had a misfire or anything else
reddog
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles