RBD Omni-Break 500 Nitro Express

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

RBD Omni-Break 500 Nitro Express

Post by AussieTimmeh » 01 Nov 2014, 6:43 pm

Hi all,

Well the time has come and we've taken delivery of our RBD (Ralf Bettina Dauner) Omni-Break in 500 Nitro Express.

The Omni-Break is a hand-built single shot break action designed and made completely by Ralf Dauner and his wife Bettina. Ralf is a trained gunsmith and does all the metalwork while his wife Bettina does all the woodwork including the checkering by hand. The barrel can be removed just like a shotgun, and other barrels of different calibres can be made to use the same receiver, which is where the name Omni-Break came from.

My brother and I both grew up in Africa and we'd become interested in the 500 Nitro Express as a calibre. This round was designed in the late 1800s specifically for hunting Elephants, Rhinos, and Cape Buffalo. This literally is an elephant gun. We specifically asked for the African-styled checkering and the satin wax finish, as well as the timber type, to closely replicate typical African hunting rifles.

Our 500 Nitro Express has a 26 inch barrel and shoots the 3 inch cartridges. Ralf and Bettina added a little extra weight to this rifle to help with recoil, and it weighs in at 4.1kg / 9lbs. We loaded standard 500NE rounds using Aussie-made Bertram brass and the 570gn Bertram projectile, using 103gn of 2209 powder primed with Federal 215s.

Well we took it out today to shoot. I've got a video with a couple of slow-motions that I have uploaded for those interested.

As you will see, the recoil blew my earmuffs off! This was due to me wearing prescription sunglasses combined with muffs that don't clamp very tightly onto my head, but I wear this same combination shooting a couple of un-braked 308s without any issue at all so the recoil of this rifle is several times greater.

Video of our first shoot

For those wondering how much it cost, it's actually very affordable. Prices start at $1950 depending what options you choose, although if you go for a large bore like this, expect ammunition to be a considerable additional expense (refer to this thread for details). Ralf and Bettina were very attentive to our desires and tailored our rifle specifically to suit what we wanted, and we're pretty damn happy with our new toy.

It only took a few shots to get a sore shoulder and a headache going though! :lol:

We've ordered a custom rifle sling through a local leather-maker and it is ready and due to be picked up tomorrow, so hopefully it turned out as well as we had hoped.
Update: sling has arrived, photos in the thread below!

Cheers!
Last edited by AussieTimmeh on 02 Nov 2014, 3:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Savage Model 10 BAT/S .308, Savage Mk II .22LR, RBD Omni-Break 500 Nitro Express
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: RBD Omni-Break 500 Nitro Express

Post by North East » 01 Nov 2014, 6:46 pm

Cool looking rifle if you don't mind getting the s**t belted out of you. I struggle with a .458WM.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 01 Nov 2014, 9:50 pm

Looks the goods Tim. And the look of joy on Jeremy's face after firing says it all. Looks like you took the recoil pretty well. Hope to get a shot out of this beast soon :lol:
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by AussieTimmeh » 01 Nov 2014, 10:02 pm

North East wrote:Cool looking rifle if you don't mind getting the s**t belted out of you. I struggle with a .458WM.

Thanks! Yeah, well we didn't buy it for comfort, we bought it for the experience of shooting a big bore hunting rifle! And it delivers.

Baldrick314 wrote:Looks the goods Tim. And the look of joy on Jeremy's face after firing says it all. Looks like you took the recoil pretty well. Hope to get a shot out of this beast soon :lol:

Thanks yeah! Can't wait for you to have a go at it! :) Surely this will help tame any flinch with the 308 haha.
Savage Model 10 BAT/S .308, Savage Mk II .22LR, RBD Omni-Break 500 Nitro Express
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Combat_Wombat » 01 Nov 2014, 10:13 pm

Nice cannon mate! Feel sorry for any pest that ends up in your sights!
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Combat_Wombat » 01 Nov 2014, 10:15 pm

Love to know how many newtons that thing is kicking back too

Reminds me of those Arabs getting thrown across the room from the 577 t-Rex. You boys took it like a champ
Last edited by Combat_Wombat on 01 Nov 2014, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 01 Nov 2014, 10:16 pm

Some beautiful timber work there, It's great to see such quality from a locally made product. Once I get over my Tarticool fetish I'll start looking at these types of firearms. Always wanted one of the old school side by side big bore safari rifles, not so much to shoot but more so to just have and admire. Looking forward to seeing more pictures and videos.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 02 Nov 2014, 3:41 pm

That really is one helluva beautiful rifle there mate, with an awesome caliber too.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by AussieTimmeh » 02 Nov 2014, 3:46 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:Nice cannon mate! Feel sorry for any pest that ends up in your sights!

Thanks, though with our current accuracy on that rifle, they are probably pretty safe!

Combat_Wombat wrote:Love to know how many newtons that thing is kicking back too

Reminds me of those Arabs getting thrown across the room from the 577 t-Rex. You boys took it like a champ

Thanks mate. I'll try to work it out when I get a chance!

brett1868 wrote:Some beautiful timber work there, It's great to see such quality from a locally made product. Once I get over my Tarticool fetish I'll start looking at these types of firearms. Always wanted one of the old school side by side big bore safari rifles, not so much to shoot but more so to just have and admire. Looking forward to seeing more pictures and videos.

Thanks Brett. Your tactical rifles are so beautiful, I definitely appreciate each of the styles! I too am proud it's Australia built.

Speaking of Australian built, our locally made rifle sling was finished and we picked it up today. The reason we got a strap made, other than looking the part, is so that other shooters can wrap the strap around their wrists when shooting in case they lose grip of the rifle when shooting it, which is easy to do. This stops the rifle rotating and being dropped into the dirt.

Narelle from 6D Leather took my design concept and turned it into a beautiful rifle strap, including the custom engraving in the leather that I had asked for of the 3 animals this cartridge is designed for - Rhino, Elephant, and Cape Buffalo. It's still brand new so it's quite stiff and the stains will even out a little bit as we continue to massage the oil into it over the next few weeks.

Thanks for looking! Can't wait to get back out there again and start tuning the sights.
Last edited by AussieTimmeh on 02 Nov 2014, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AussieTimmeh » 02 Nov 2014, 3:47 pm

MeccaOz wrote:That really is one helluva beautiful rifle there mate, with an awesome caliber too.

Thanks mate, yeah we are absolutely thrilled. It's the only new toy we'll be able to afford for a while and I am glad it turned out well. :)
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 02 Nov 2014, 4:11 pm

As I said in my last post on this subject, I thought all the dinosaurs in your part of the country where extinct, obviously you are still looking. Shoot well. Lol.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Combat_Wombat » 02 Nov 2014, 4:25 pm

So what is the planned target? Any scrub bullocks out your way?
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by cavok » 02 Nov 2014, 4:32 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:So what is the planned target? Any scrub bullocks out your way?

Think bigger. :lol:
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AussieTimmeh » 02 Nov 2014, 5:06 pm

cavok wrote:As I said in my last post on this subject, I thought all the dinosaurs in your part of the country where extinct, obviously you are still looking. Shoot well. Lol.

Ha yeah, haven't seen any wild elephants in NSW lately? Now you know why! :lol:

Combat_Wombat wrote:So what is the planned target? Any scrub bullocks out your way?

Well, mostly paper. Apparently heaps of guys fly to the NT to shoot Buffalo there with it, and then some take them to Africa where you can buy a sustainable hunting license for Cape Buffalo (currently $200USD each) and if you are truly rich, an Elephant or Rhino. Not sure I could shoot such a majestic animal though, and I am tipping this might be overkill for the foxes.
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 02 Nov 2014, 5:32 pm

"Well, mostly paper. Apparently heaps of guys fly to the NT to shoot Buffalo there with it, and then some take them to Africa where you can buy a sustainable hunting license for Cape Buffalo (currently $200USD each) and if you are truly rich, an Elephant or Rhino. Not sure I could shoot such a majestic animal though, and I am tipping this might be overkill for the foxes." I don't know, you can never be to sure. :lol:
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by MeccaOz » 02 Nov 2014, 5:36 pm

cavok wrote:"Well, mostly paper. Apparently heaps of guys fly to the NT to shoot Buffalo there with it, and then some take them to Africa where you can buy a sustainable hunting license for Cape Buffalo (currently $200USD each) and if you are truly rich, an Elephant or Rhino. Not sure I could shoot such a majestic animal though, and I am tipping this might be overkill for the foxes." I don't know, you can never be to sure. :lol:

exactly !... Those foxes are sneaky buggers... ya never know you might come up against a zombie fox at some point, lol
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 04 Nov 2014, 7:39 pm

I hadnt heard of Ralf Dauner before, but he got quite a name on the nitro forums. Does he have a webpage or business name? I always wanted something like this :D ... Not that I can afford it just yet, but at the price you metioned it's well within the 6 month plan range :D
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by AussieTimmeh » 05 Nov 2014, 3:46 pm

MeccaOz wrote:I hadnt heard of Ralf Dauner before, but he got quite a name on the nitro forums. Does he have a webpage or business name? I always wanted something like this :D ... Not that I can afford it just yet, but at the price you metioned it's well within the 6 month plan range :D

Yeah it's a very affordable way to get into it and you can customise it all you like. Unfortunately, he is a bit old-school and doesn't have a web presence. I do have his card though which I scanned for you:

He does all sorts of calibres and his work is excellent. I originally came in contact with him when he fixed my .308 trigger. Great guy and his wife is lovely too, and he enjoys a chat.

Cheers!
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 05 Nov 2014, 3:59 pm

AussieTimmeh wrote:
MeccaOz wrote:I hadnt heard of Ralf Dauner before, but he got quite a name on the nitro forums. Does he have a webpage or business name? I always wanted something like this :D ... Not that I can afford it just yet, but at the price you metioned it's well within the 6 month plan range :D

Yeah it's a very affordable way to get into it and you can customise it all you like. Unfortunately, he is a bit old-school and doesn't have a web presence. I do have his card though which I scanned for you:

He does all sorts of calibres and his work is excellent. I originally came in contact with him when he fixed my .308 trigger. Great guy and his wife is lovely too, and he enjoys a chat.

Cheers!

Very much appreciated mate. Thank you :)
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Bennybigbores » 05 Nov 2014, 4:25 pm

No calibre is overkill for foxes, probably found the optimum fox whistling rifle I'd say, get that head shot on bigfellascotts post...... I'm feeling all warm inside thinking about it
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by lole » 06 Nov 2014, 3:15 pm

You don't really appreciate the size of it until you see the barrel thickness in contrast to your face in the last photo.

Damn that's big :lol:
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AussieTimmeh » 06 Nov 2014, 8:32 pm

MeccaOz wrote:Very much appreciated mate. Thank you :)

No worries!

Bennybigbores wrote:No calibre is overkill for foxes, probably found the optimum fox whistling rifle I'd say, get that head shot on bigfellascotts post...... I'm feeling all warm inside thinking about it

Rofl!

lole wrote:You don't really appreciate the size of it until you see the barrel thickness in contrast to your face in the last photo.

Damn that's big :lol:

Yeah I need to add a bit onto my video showing a bit more of the rifle next to a .223 and .308 for perspective I think. It's a pretty damn huge round for an unbraked hunting rifle (13mm). :mrgreen:
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AussieTimmeh » 07 Nov 2014, 12:12 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:Love to know how many newtons that thing is kicking back too

So I had some time to kill. According to this site, it gives or calculates the following:

500 Nitro Express kicks at 6239 ft lbs / 8459 N m
.308 recoils 2719 ft lbs / 3686 N m
.223 has 1296 ft lbs / 1757 N m
Last edited by AussieTimmeh on 07 Nov 2014, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by North East » 07 Nov 2014, 12:23 pm

Just saw that video for the first time. The recoil actually looks reasonably tolerable shooting it off hand. Don't think it would be much fun off a bench with out a lead sled and you'd want to be pretty careful about where you mounted a scope on it if you did.

Great video.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by North East » 07 Nov 2014, 12:24 pm

Just saw that video for the first time. The recoil actually looks reasonably tolerable shooting it off hand. Don't think it would be much fun off a bench with out a lead sled and you'd want to be pretty careful about where you mounted a scope on it if you did.

Great video.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by AussieTimmeh » 07 Nov 2014, 12:27 pm

North East wrote:Just saw that video for the first time. The recoil actually looks reasonably tolerable shooting it off hand. Don't think it would be much fun off a bench with out a lead sled and you'd want to be pretty careful about where you mounted a scope on it if you did.

Great video.

Thanks. The Nitro Express guys reckon I need to shoot it more like a shotgun (face up to the target more, bent knees, leading forward, face further forward on the Monte Carlo part of the stock) which will help with recoil.

I'm also going to order in some Woodleigh 450gn soft nose projectiles for a softer load because very few of my friends want to fire the full load. The one that did fire it once complained of shoulder pain for a few days afterwards. :? I will admit, it is a big kick, but I agree that I wouldn't want to bench it.
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by huccl » 07 Nov 2014, 1:36 pm

To start with it didn't look too bad on the recoil.

The slow-motion scene knocks that on the head though :lol:
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by A20 Prototype » 29 Sep 2015, 8:28 am

Hi there !!! I also have a Omni-Break from Ralf and Bettina, absolutely fantastic rifle!!! Mine was the second one Ralf ever made!! Ralf made his 300 win mag first, then he made my 300 blackout and then my .222 barrel and now I have my 30.06 barrel . I've got to think very carefully about my 4th barrel because Firearms Registry will only allow 4 barrels on the one action !! Which really sucks because there's a few calibers I'd still like to get!!! Just thought you maybe interested, Thanks Rob
A20 Prototype
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by AussieTimmeh » 29 Sep 2015, 8:52 am

Hey Rob, that's awesome. I didn't know about the 4 barrel per action limit. Some interesting calibers there; how did you come to choosing those ones in particular? :)
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 29 Sep 2015, 8:56 am

That's a tiny little...rifle? For that huge round :D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Next