Tikka CTR in stores now

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Tikka CTR in stores now

Post by Chronos » 03 Nov 2014, 6:55 pm

just heard from a staff member at a sydney gun stores that the new Tikka CTR's are hitting stores now in .308 and also .260 soon

Safari firearms recieved 2...one sold as it was being unpacked for display. they have one left apparently

just thought given the number of threads here on the topic there might be some who would appreciate the heads up :D

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Re: Tikka CTR in stores now

Post by MeccaOz » 03 Nov 2014, 6:56 pm

Chronos wrote:just heard from a staff member at a sydney gun stores that the new Tikka CTR's are hitting stores now in .308 and also .260 soon

Safari firearms recieved 2...one sold as it was being unpacked for display. they have one left apparently

just thought given the number of threads here on the topic there might be some who would appreciate the heads up :D

Chronos

What do you think of the 260 caliber Chronos ? As both a hunting round and target round I mean.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Chronos » 03 Nov 2014, 6:59 pm

there's plenty of good 6.5mm hunting bullets around and the case is big enough to shoot 140's but i wouldn't want to buy factory ammo for it :shock:

i reckon it would be a good thing shooting quality bullets as a middle round between 6mm and 30 cal.......but i have 3 7mm's :lol:

Chonos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 03 Nov 2014, 7:07 pm

I think you nailed it. I dont know much about the caliber, but I think i'd go either a 243 or a 7mm-08, but thats just me since I strictly use rifles for hunting anyway.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Westy » 03 Nov 2014, 8:38 pm

I'd go the 260 in a heart beat!

Yes, brass is expensive but I reckon it would take a few practice cases to learn to neck 243 up or 308's down and there as cheap as dirt!

A mate has the CTR 260 on backorder and has since August and was told it won't be here till next year? WTF But Beretta seem to have dropped the ball on this and it is what it is! Nice mild flat shooting Cal and it'll shoot anything your going to find on the east coast of Oz better and harder than any 243 ever did!!!!Ouchhhhh that's gota hurt???LOL
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by RDobber » 05 Nov 2014, 3:25 pm

This thing is going to be the Ruger Scout all over again I reckon.

They'll sell out immediately, then expect to see them on usedguns for a few hundred above retail shortly after.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by squirrelhunter » 11 Nov 2014, 8:26 am

I like them.

Not giving up my Scout any time soon but if it needed replacing I'd seriously consider the CTR.
Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308
Bushnell 3-9x 40mm - Multi-X
squirrelhunter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Weepy » 11 Nov 2014, 8:27 am

It would be more accurate than you're Scout too while we're talking about it.

Not having a go at Ruger, just saying... If you want one that will double for some target shooting it will do better than the Scout.
Weatherby Mark V Accumark 7mm Rem. Mag.
Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40mm

Browning BL-22 .22LR
Weepy
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Streamline » 11 Nov 2014, 8:31 am

Westy wrote:I reckon it would take a few practice cases to learn to neck 243 up or 308's down and there as cheap as dirt!

Easy as pie, either way would do it.

Necking up is a pain the first time around as it's harder to stretch the metal out.

Necking down though you could get away with necking down from .308 to .260 in one pass. You might get a few dimpled shoulders which would fire out.

Otherwise go through a 7mm-08 die if you wanted to be gentler.
Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker 30-06SPR
Sako M591 .243WIN
CZ ZKM 452 .22LR
Streamline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 11 Nov 2014, 8:58 am

In my opinion necking up is easier, as long as you use the correct tool for the job, an expander like the one made by K&M. I've done hundreds of cases up from .22 to 6mmmm and 6.5mm to 7mm.

I've also done 300 cases from .308 down to 7 -08 in one pass through the f/l die

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Streamline » 12 Nov 2014, 10:15 am

Chronos wrote:In my opinion necking up is easier, as long as you use the correct tool for the job, an expander like the one made by K&M.

Fair point.

I should add I've only done it with regular sizing dies which I guess are not ideal for the job.

At least we've covered both options depending on what dies Westy has or is prepared to buy.
Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker 30-06SPR
Sako M591 .243WIN
CZ ZKM 452 .22LR
Streamline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 12 Nov 2014, 10:29 am

I shoot the original and best 6.5x55 don't need one of those Remington/Winchester Copies !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm a long action type of guy!!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by MeccaOz » 12 Nov 2014, 12:44 pm

Is it just me or is the 6.5x55 making a come back, or did it never really go away ?
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Chronos » 12 Nov 2014, 1:19 pm

I'm not sure it went away, T's one if those things, it's ild but it works, while everyone's jumping on the new .260, all the swede guys are shaking their heads because the only thing the .260 does that the 6.5X55 swede doesn't is use a short action.

:lol:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 12 Nov 2014, 8:13 pm

Right on father Time!!!!!!!
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Atter » 13 Nov 2014, 8:09 pm

Chronos wrote:all the swede guys are shaking their heads because the only thing the .260 does that the 6.5X55 swede doesn't is use a short action.

But think of that 100th of a second you save!!

Now you can use it as a dangerous game rifle too!

They all have to be short action right.
Tikka T3 Hunter .260 Remington
Tikka T3 Sporter 6.5x55 SE
CZ 513 .22LR
Atter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles